• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saffron City - East Coast Regional MELEE Monthlies! ON HOLD indefinitely

otg

Smash Master
Cris the only reason I never come out to Saffron is cause I'm a lazy ******* and the No Johns venue is like 20 minutes from my house and is like once a month. That's just perfect for me. Not a huge time commitment, not far, there is always parking and it's really easy for me to get high there.

I mean I couldn't ask for a better venue... minus the unnecessary $10 venue fee. And yes, I stand by my usage of the word unnecessary.

D1

Banned via Administration
I actually do agree with you guys which is why I took it upon myself to discontinue my events until I saw a possible drought of Melee locals. Until then I hope people continue to support this game. I actually do love this game more than Brawl, but when I see people forsake going to a tourney only until nationals/regionals are around the corner...I get tired of it. I know I'm not in the right for not supporting Saffron and going to a Brawl tourney on the same day. I actually regret being a jerk and not showing consideration for my friends who made the effort to go out there. I know Crismas actually makes an effort to go out to NYC ALOT...and we barely ever go over there for fests, and/or local tournies. When Crismas/Alex Strife held Brawl tourneys at the same venue that Saffron was held at...she got wayyy more responses from their community. I know Brawl has more players and whatnot...but still when I go to fests and whatnot I see there are still alotta Melee players out there...wtf show yourselves unless you wanna just keep playing at fests where ppl sandbag and use random chars. Looking back I regret not going to the last Saffron its like the equivalent to me not attending a funeral of a close friend/family member. I know this isn't the right place to be posting this...but I'm sorry Crismas. I really am.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Max, it's okay. I really don't expect everyone to make it out honestly. I appreciate your posts and feedback so no worries. But the lack of people yesterday was upsetting to say the least. Plus the amount of johns I had been hearing about why they couldn't come also pissed me off. I don't even host these that often for people to make that excuse. And I give people plenty of time to prepare to go to these. And the declining amount of people in the first half of the year was already upsetting.

I just wanna post these up again from the OP so ppl can see:

PAST TOURNAMENT RESULTS

Saffron City #1 - Date: 8/1/09
STATS: 9 TEAMS, 26 SINGLES

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=243388

Saffron City #2 - Date: 9/26/09
STATS: 12 TEAMS, 35 SINGLES

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=250293

Saffron City #3 - Date: 12/5/09
STATS: 13 TEAMS, 41 SINGLES

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=257643

Saffron City #4 - Date: 2/20/10
STATS: TEAMS, 28 SINGLES

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266117

Saffron City #5 - Date: 4/17/10
STATS: 7 TEAMS, 15 SINGLES

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272345

Saffron City #6 - Date: 7/24/10
STATS: 6 TEAMS, 20 SINGLES

Results: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282070

I wish I could remember what made 2 and 3 so successful. I guess I'll have to look into it...

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
PS: I do agree with you Max.

Thank you to those who came yesterday, and major props to those in PA who came. That's very strong dedication and you guys were awesome! I will make sure I return the favor when you guys host something.

Thanks Crismas! Yeah, me and kurt noticed that the transit would be tough... but I told him that we were adventurers and that won't matter.

: D

The tourny was very fun, and we will hope to see you at MAD. : ]

Btw OTG, I disagree about just having one or two tournies per month. I don't think it will HURT people if there are more melee tournies.

**** I could only get to No johns once thanks to UltimaScout, who gave me and No cash a ride.

Its so ****ing FARRRRRRRRRR.

I went to Saffron because like Crismas said, I wouldn't NEED a ride, just transit... So why not?

I want to host tournaments because that might also be good for people who need to use Transit.

Plus, I don't want PA NOT having melee fests/tournies. There is only Brawl. People ask me if I could also host brawl, nope. Melee. There is a ton of Brawl. Chibo hosts DSO. : ]

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Ran, Max/OTG is talking specifically about the amount of tournies in one area. NJ/NY is overloaded atm and it's decreasing our attendance by a lot. No one wants to go to all of these tournies nor can they make it. Most of us have lives/significant others etc. so settling for one every month may increase drive to those who want to attend. PA as far as I know doesn't have much or any activity going on, so I say do what you gotta do.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ran, Max/OTG is talking specifically about the amount of tournies in one area. NJ/NY is overloaded atm and it's decreasing our attendance by a lot. No one wants to go to all of these tournies nor can they make it. Most of us have lives/significant others etc. so settling for one every month may increase drive to those who want to attend. PA as far as I know doesn't have much or any activity going on, so I say do what you gotta do.
Ah, I see. Thank you very much for clearing that up. Yeah it doesn't. : ]

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
melee is the game that only the OG's play, OG's usually have lives and jobs and ****. OG's also dont commit as much as the young'ins, and mainly play for the nostalgia or maybe to win a big event. all the TO's need to accept this and stop trying to make these lil local tourneys into giant shenanigans.

Also cris those older ones were more ppl cuz all those out of staters (darc, thorn and company) came so it made other ppl go to.

plus brians always trying to MM ppl in teams which just intimidates everyone and makes no one want to go ;)

Alukard

Smash Hero
melee is the game that only the OG's play, OG's usually have lives and jobs and ****. OG's also dont commit as much as the young'ins, and mainly play for the nostalgia or maybe to win a big event. all the TO's need to accept this and stop trying to make these lil local tourneys into giant shenanigans.

Also cris those older ones were more ppl cuz all those out of staters (darc, thorn and company) came so it made other ppl go to.

plus brians always trying to MM ppl in teams which just intimidates everyone and makes no one want to go ;)
lmfao... i suck at this game i play samus

ALSO ... that whole first paragraph is true =\

Alex Strife

Smash Hero

I laughed cause most of those "ogs" dont have jobs or just have jobs that have weekends off.

I wont say much cause arguing with people is pointless but 2-3 months notice is probably not as long as we thought to get people to know there is a tournament out there. [sarcasm]

only one of the saffrons benny had those OOS. Rest that had 30ish people or so had like...locals...face it ppl ditched it is their fault now instead of going somewhere easy to get to...they can have fun going to other places that are not...

the trip philly took out there I would never do in a million years. a hour and a half bus from philly to new york then a train to port authority then a bus to jersey city... just not gonna work.

you guys need better venue locations, web2zone was the best of the best when it came to that.
steve web2zone was good but its dead...face it...live with it...even then they stopped running melee in favor of brawl...the one time they ran melee was on wed lol.

saffron was close idk wat was sooo hard about taking one bus 10-15 mins to a venue it dropps u in front of....not to mention it has a bus around it til 12-1am ... I mean what was so hard about getting to saffron? I take public transit and I have no problem understanding the detailed instructions that were moron proof.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
We're not trying to make them into giant shenanigans. I'm not sure why you think that... but 13 in attendance? You're kidding me... that's ridiculous! These are events FOR YOU PEOPLE, for the people who want to train and get better/place higher w/e. If the people who go to these don't feel a need to or have jobs or whatever then you guys can just stick to No Johns. I'm not going to waste my time anymore. I remember when ppl *****ed about not having enough tournies nearby, or not enough tournies period. Now that anyone can go to any tourny on any weekend, no one's dedicated anymore. So... that's why I'm giving these up.

I had hoped that Saffrons had a good enough rep. to get a decent amount of people to go to these, that's why I spaced them out 2 or 3 months apart (aside from accommodating other tournies who wanted specific dates). People could plan to go OOS, or people could take their days off from work or w/e they wanted. Like I said, that was the intentions I had for these.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Cristin forgot to add that we do not make money and we charge a low venue fee just so people can have an easier time making these so uh ya...the fact that she is this upset means something.

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
alex dont assume cuz one person cant find a job that the rest of us dont have stuff to do, Im trying really hard to think of who you can be talking about cuz almost everyone that plays melee has school or work or some combination of the 2.

it may be a 15 min bus ride for u but it would take me just an hour to get into the city then id have to do that. i dont even like buses.

Cris you seem to be super offended by the fact that your tourney didnt have as much attendance as a no johns, ive been to no johns wit less than 20 entrants where they dont even do teams cuz no one wants to, sometimes u have bad turnouts idk why ur taking it so personal. If you guys have a quota to meet or something thats your own fault, dont try to take it out on the community. hopefully u changed ur mind saffrons are the only tournies i even gone to in the last year (not counting majors).

Oh and stop guilt tripping nikkas its not their job to support melee, they can choose to do whatever they wants. They might be very popular cats wit a lot of ppl to please. (like those brawl ladies, bow chicka bow wow)

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Time for my .02.

Look at SPOC back when Scar ran it. Monthly. Philadelphia. Those without cars were near to one of the biggest railroad hubs on the east coast. PA, 3 hours from NY. Close enough, but far enough. Happened once a month, if that. Drew in a different crowd, you got more South Jersey support, along with the NY regulars.

Now, lets look at both No Johns and Saffron. Both appealing to basically the same group. Jersey City technically should appeal to NYC more than Nanuet, and Nanuet (as we've seen) draws in that mid-upstate crowd. Both events are within roughly an hour of another, an area shared by DIP as well now.

*puts on glasses and makes educated face*

So, I think the main gripe as OTG said is you have an overpopulation of tournaments within the same demographic area. This can be alleviated, however, the means of doing so are quite difficult. You have the same top players who will be attending both, the issue with ALL tournaments now is getting the influx of new blood into the scene. This...doesn't help. Going 0-2 is not fun for anyone. The "pot fillers" generally are the ones who are mostly likely to drive, while those most likely to take the pot are usually driven. I think what Waffles is doing on the WC with an "Amateur Bracket" is definitely a strong idea. I'd even say that we could step it up a bit, have a coach behind each player in the amateur tournament. Ex. A up and coming Falcon player would have Hax, while HBK is whispering advice and encouragement to a Marth player, etc. It's just an idea, but come on, everyone appreciates the advice, and it may be what gets those fringe players to join more regularly.

I know that my tournament was mentioned, and I'll definitely give my reasons for wanting to run it:
1. Long Island has a scene that is largely untapped. There was a tournament at the same venue a few months back, 30 players, none of the regulars (shoutout to Ryan K and Niko for making it through).
2. To get around on Long Island...you have to drive. You get more of those players in the scene, you get more drivers that can take NYC to events. As one of the "designated drivers" I'll have about 8-9 people asking me per tournament, and I can't take them all. This has increased with G$ being on the shelf as of late.
3. Location wise, it isn't the most ideal place. The only way to get out here is car or LIRR. I'm definitely reaching out to the Long Island demographic, to get interested in a "dead" game in a "dead area" going again, however, NYC can make it, Jersey can drive, etc. It's just a manner of effort they want to make.

I think I'll speak for a lot of the "fringe" players when my own personal gripe as a player, for me, its definitely the travel. I hate the amount of tolls, the gas money I have to pay to get anywhere. I'm not a money player, I don't go to a tournament expecting to get my money reimbursed through tournament placing. I feel bad for players that go 0-2 and can't get a TV for friendlies, or for players who, like I once was, didn't want to enter because they're testing the waters and don't get a chance to play people they've only seen on youtube.

Probably won't edit this, but may add another post later.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Benny, there has been a decreasing amount the last few Saffrons, the numbers have been depressing each time. And this was at a all new low. You don't seem to understand that it's a combination of many issues. Not just the low attendance which upset me. Please re-read my posts (as well as Max's) and then think about what's being said.

Edit because you edited, and please leave yourself out of the situation. You're quick to jump in any situation in which drama pertains, so let me talk to him about it because it was never mentioned on the forum AT ALL.

Prog, thanks for your feedback.

I'd like to note though, there were def. some fresh faces at Saffron yesterday, and it was very encouraging to see.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I'm sad that this was the last one.

Although, I think public transit is something we have to "tolerate".

I mean, if people are usually getting rides, would they opt to transit?

I, am usually used to taking transit. I gah hate it but I don't like Driving either.

Plus throw in two extra trains I had to take to get home.

So that's Broadstreet line then > free transfer to market street line (only like two stops though) > walk to 10th and filbert or whatever to get to china town bus > F train > Port Authority Minivan > Walk a few blocks to venue. And reverse this to get back home.

I was a little lost in New York. xDDDD Hate that feeling. Everytime I'm lost in the city I just Think of Invader Zim and how Gir forgot the chip, which would automatically have him target their original location which they could fly to. I guess if I think of it, it makes me feel better about being lost in the city, or just being deep in the city.

But to some others, it would probably only mean a few buses, hopefully only two.

****, I remember down in Florida where I would have to use THREE busses to get to work. ****. Two to get to a Kissimee tournament. I lived in a smashless scene, so of course I would take one bus, WALK alot to get to another bus to get to my location. And only be there for like... 5 hours and have to catch the busses before they would stop running... At seven!

BUT, Me and kurt had the choice of GETTING to Saffron, since there was a WAY to get there. That was a convenience, so we went.

It would have been a little tedious, but we are young, we have the energy to spare.

Basically, we like going to tournies to prove ourselves and to get better and have fun. We don't always have the chance of being able to get to a tournie ourselves since most melee tournies are OOS. (And since I don't have a car, still working on that)

I'm sure two rides which = $2.50 each wouldn't be so hard. I mean, I think of it like this.. sometimes...

If a homeless guy who seems like he needs it, asks for a dollar and that's my last one, I'd probably give it to him (unless I NEEDED it), because I would probably just use it in a money match instead.

Although, we did have PLENTY of friendlies, and teams friendlies too! I just wish I could have stayed longer. ;-;

SAFFRON was definetly worth it to bus too.

Now I can tell you, speaking for me, kurt, kasumi, and Rin, that hiking all the way to Harrisburg, PA wasn't worth it. xD

5 tv's. Brawl was run first. Then melee. So 3 tv's were used for brawl, two for friendlies. Then 4 for melee, one for friendlies.

and only two chairs per tv. GAWD.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
prog im like the amateur bracket idea but who wud fill the pot for the regular bracket?????? anyways u shud rilly look into that....vids uploaded tomorrow just finished cuttin them up

Ben-Teezee

Smash Apprentice
Benny, there has been a decreasing amount the last few Saffrons, the numbers have been depressing each time. And this was at a all new low. You don't seem to understand that it's a combination of many issues. Not just the low attendance which upset me. Please re-read my posts (as well as Max's) and then think about what's being said.

Edit because you edited, and please leave yourself out of the situation. You're quick to jump in any situation in which drama pertains, so let me talk to him about it because it was never mentioned on the forum AT ALL.

Prog, thanks for your feedback.

I'd like to note though, there were def. some fresh faces at Saffron yesterday, and it was very encouraging to see.
1: His public apology on the forum very clearly was a mention of it on the forums.

2: I initially mis interpreted your initial post, u were refering to ppl going to No Johns and stuff and i thought u were calling him out for going somewhere else, so i apologize i took it as you calling him out.

3: Youre not his only friend im his friend too and i defend MY FRIENDS when i feel theyre being attacked, i have no idea wtf ur talking about that i jump at drama as i rarely ever come on these f'ing boards so why ur trying to turn me into an antagonist is beyond me.

I was just giving u my opinion as a CASUAL melee player, without a ride or money incentive, u should see why these tourneys are probably dwindling in attendance.

PROG: thats a ****ing fantastic idea. But only if the pro players take it seriously. I wouldnt want someone like chops being behind someone telling them to think about boobs during their tourney match. otherwise 100% support. how did they determine who could be in an amateur bracket in WC?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Amateur bracket isn't a bad idea, its definitely worth a try. I don't think people should be assigned a pro player to coach them. That seems kinda unrealistic.

If it means anything I will gladly help anyone with advice if they come up to me and ask for it. Whatever it may be. I'm definitely down to offer any insight. I'm sure others will to, but having designated players is imo not worth it. Especially if some are just simply not motivated to do it. I love helping people so I'm 100% down if anyone asks.

There needs to be a good setup for it and there needs to be a way to ensure that there will be enough time for it all.

I also still am standing by my stance of there are simply too many tournies going on. Especially now that its the school semester for a lot of us.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
3: Youre not his only friend im his friend too and i defend MY FRIENDS when i feel theyre being attacked, i have no idea wtf ur talking about that i jump at drama as i rarely ever come on these f'ing boards so why ur trying to turn me into an antagonist is beyond me.
Dude, I didn't say boards only. I'm not even gonna bother bringing anything up, I'm just saying you were trying to mention a situation I was trying to rectify anyway. If you wanna talk about it, just IM me instead.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Also Prog, it just seems really young pot fillers, ones worse than me and kurt I mean, probably wouldn't even think of paying as much as we do to enjoy a tournament.

I mean, I have heard while discussing "price fairness and balance" for my up and coming tournament series, that people who are starting in low wouldn't pay $30. They would WANT to come, but wouldn't pay for all that. So basically, the problem IS money.

Like, what if there were so small tournaments, that would have low prices, but would need top level players to come... or mid-level since mid-level can **** here... but for half the cost? So it's basically a amateur tournament, but at least people in the bottom of the barrel SEE how hard it is to beat these people.

Then bigger events will cost more. Once these scrubs get to regular level, meaning the level where THEY can beat their own reg smash circle, have the price upped a bit, so that even higher level players would come. Meaning the people that CAN get the money.

Then for nationals, a little bit higher.

So its just easy...

Low-level tourny - low price
Medium-level tourny - medium price
High-level tourny - HIGH price

But the High-level tourny wouldn't have medium level pot-fillers if there weren't medium-level tournies that they have been to and succeeded at after DISCOVERING melee as scrubs in low-level tournies.

I think seeding would be required for this too. Like... how in paper mario you would have to get up the ranks... from amateur to pro... then to champion.

You couldn't go back to your amateur room when you were in the "pro" ranks.

So if you couldn't go back to a "Amateur" or "LOW" tourny you wouldn't absolutely **** THE LIVING HELL out of them to dis-interest them from melee forever discontinuing the chain of things you really like which is MONEYYYYYY.

Let me know if you think this idea might have a hole in it. ;p

I mean I wouldn't do something out of the blue like that unless like a bunch of t.o's would have like a big chat group about it and have tons of threads about it and even stickied threads lololol... yeah...

This is just an idea though. It's just like saying "Eat healthy by eating healthy foods" but what if you are a working mother who is solo with two children to feed? (and she won't be to afford them all) You wouldn't see her in a tourny, that's for sure. LOL

prog

Just talked to waffles, basically here's the run down:

The amateur pot goes into the main tourney pot. The top X from amateur (TO's discretion) advance into the main bracket. So basically, you could have a 16 man bracket, top 12 ranked automatically advance into bracket, while you have the top 4 from the amateur advance. If we wanted to modify it, we could just use that for seeding and have all of the amateurs in the main bracket, as a modified pool, but you don't automatically get that feeling of doom knowing that you're going against X and not making it in. Just food for thought.

prog

Amateur bracket isn't a bad idea, its definitely worth a try. I don't think people should be assigned a pro player to coach them. That seems kinda unrealistic.
Yeah, it was just an idea. I mean, how hyped would you be if it was your second tournament as a fox main, and Eggm is behind you giving advice, or something to that effect. If you're looking for pot fillers, you have to give them incentive, and you have to create something to hook them and get them going again. It's just an idea.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I remember plank having a nice setup that he's using for pound as well.

At this point I support either motion that lets not so familiar players play more.

My real hope though is to having just Prog's tourney and RoM in November and just like 1-2 tournies in December.

Not like a tourney every week like October >_>

EDIT: Prog - Hmm good point, why not allow us to register for that then. The 'pro players' I mean.

That way you can get people like that who is willing to do stuff like that while weeding out the people who have no interest in it?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
I really like Prog's idea as well. I'll post more about it later, I'm like fdjafdjsafjdsa right now.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Don't give me credit, it's all Waffles, I just progdified it.
Should the price be lowered a bit for amateurs too?

Also you gave me an idea, lol. So glad you posted your 2 cents. Although I'm sorry to post a wall of text. wot lol.

Right, you'd need seeding for that too. You don't want regular players to be in it. LOL. Just new blood... that way they are fighting against people within there own skill level.

So that means, if a guy wins the amateur tournament, should he be able to enter amateur tournaments again? No. He's not an amateur anymore, right?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
As as people TO for money/job the ideas we have about spreading it will never happen...people sadly need money from TOing cause its their job :(
Since when is TOing a job? Do they actually pay you for running Saffron?
I've always found it as just something to do for fun and never ask for any money from it. Hell, I pay for my own entry to my tournaments. Never get any special treatment for being a TO except for an employee discount here and there.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I never got paid i do it for the love of the community...unlike some who need to do it for money XD

prog

Should the price be lowered a bit for amateurs too?

Also you gave me an idea, lol. So glad you posted your 2 cents. Although I'm sorry to post a wall of text. wot lol.

Right, you'd need seeding for that too. You don't want regular players to be in it. LOL. Just new blood... that way they are fighting against people within there own skill level.

So that means, if a guy wins the amateur tournament, should he be able to enter amateur tournaments again? No. He's not an amateur anymore, right?
Nope, because the pot money from amateur is going into the main pot. We could vary it and have it just serve as fake pools, for seeding without having Mr. What'sagamecubecontroller play against Jman in his first bracket match ever. At least he gets to play someone else who is closer to his level before getting obliterated.

Honestly, I think the winner of the amateur tourney should be able to enter amateur again, unless he ends up becoming ranked.

Ex. We get a top...16 ranked in tristate. Amateur player X wins an amateur tourney, however, he loses. He wins another one, same thing. Eventually he gets ranked in the top 16. At this point, he is unable to enter the amateur bracket, because he is in the top 16 in the area.

Now, for someone like say...PC who is top 16 material but inactive, he would be #17 in say that 24 man bracket, and only top 7 from amateur make it out into the main bracket. This could also be modified for if we have OOSers come, have their top X auto go on into the main bracket, the others enter the amateur bracket, etc.

Tec0, yeah, I'd want the pros to volunteer, no pressure on anyone to do anything.

Alukard

Smash Hero
ok ok ok ok ... sooooo seriously i've had a no johns with 11 people ... we allll had fun ... u have to realize that melee isn't a game that is THRIVING in tristate ... because its not ... local smashers dont go to locals because they aren't good ... and its not worth it for them ... they need more majors under their belt for exp. and stuff...

also i've had really terrible turnouts for no johns ... seriously and in succession as well ... its just the way things are atm =\

i mean its ultimately your decision but i know benny is being pretty blunt ... but its really the truth... every word =\

EDIT ... i'm a little tipsy ... octoberfest is sooo nice in my belly lol <3

i really like the amatuer bracket thing ... i might think about doing that for rom3 ... hmmmm!!!!! whoever made bracket in rom2 doesn't play in pools! ... hmmm hmmmm hmmmmmmm i'm thinking and me likey !!!! i'll write it down sumwhere so i can remember to pan it out better when i'm not getting intoxicated because i'm still drinking LOLOL

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
If anybody TOs for cash I really feel bad for whatever situation landed them unable to do other things for cash.
Like prostitution.

Also I agree with everyone saying there are too many tournaments in your area going on. NE has had 3-4 tournaments back to back and although it draws strong crowds at the first one or second the numbers definitely don't keep up.

I'd say keeping it to at MOST 2 tournaments a month is a good idea.

As far as demographic goes for Atlantic North:

MM - New England in general
Hall of Gaming - New England and HOPEFULLY tri-state (We'll see if you guys come out on November 13th. It's in CT so it's easier for you guys to get to)
No Johns- Tri-state

I honestly feel that our entire region should be collaborating our tournaments tournament. Advertising each others tournaments, hyping them, and planning dates better around each other and such.

I want the Hall of Gaming series to become sort of a bridge for our communities. It's in central CT and Swift (From Tristate) and I (from NE) are co-hosting it which we're hoping brings in both crowds. In turn having both in the same venue allows our players to play each other and increase the likelihood that traveling between regions will increase.

Alukard

Smash Hero
If anybody TOs for cash I really feel bad for whatever situation landed them unable to do other things for cash.
Like prostitution.

Also I agree with everyone saying there are too many tournaments in your area going on. NE has had 3-4 tournaments back to back and although it draws strong crowds at the first one or second the numbers definitely don't keep up.

I'd say keeping it to at MOST 2 tournaments a month is a good idea.

As far as demographic goes for Atlantic North:

MM - New England in general
Hall of Gaming - New England and HOPEFULLY tri-state (We'll see if you guys come out on November 13th. It's in CT so it's easier for you guys to get to)
No Johns- Tri-state

I honestly feel that our entire region should be collaborating our tournaments tournament. Advertising each others tournaments, hyping them, and planning dates better around each other and such.

I want the Hall of Gaming series to become sort of a bridge for our communities. It's in central CT and Swift (From Tristate) and I (from NE) are co-hosting it which we're hoping brings in both crowds. In turn having both in the same venue allows our players to play each other and increase the likelihood that traveling between regions will increase.
things are bigger then wat they just seem to be matty ... seriously ... i get paid for TO'ing and i TO'd for various companies and still do AND still have my job on the side ... i dont know about u but income is income ... if game universe didn't pay u its cool ... but dont go ****ting on people who need to make money ... i get 22$ and hour for judging for nintendo and still do i even saw chibo sempai at a ds pokemon tournament when i was judging ... and mayb if u did so(got paid) i would be able to help u land a nice gig around your way for magic tournaments and stuff because they pay extremely well for pro tour tournaments and its the easiest thing ever ... so seriously ... chillllllll shun <3 ^_^

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I was talking about people who EXCLUSIVELY do TOing for cash, alukard. Smash tournaments aren't big enough to get an hourly wage for or something and most venues I know of don't always have big enough crowds to dish out like $50 for the person running it or w/e.

Smash isn't exactly something people make a huge living off of is what I'm saying.
I'm working 2 jobs and TOing for fun/free lol

Good **** with getting paid for tournaments though dude that's sick.

But enough on that, I do wanna talk to you about what I mentioned towards the bottom of my previous post since you're the TO of No Johns

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I was talking about people who EXCLUSIVELY do TOing for cash, alukard. Smash tournaments aren't big enough to get an hourly wage for or something and most venues I know of don't always have big enough crowds to dish out like $50 for the person running it or w/e.

Smash isn't exactly something people make a huge living off of is what I'm saying.
I'm working 2 jobs and TOing for fun/free lol

Good **** with getting paid for tournaments though dude that's sick.

But enough on that, I do wanna talk to you about what I mentioned towards the bottom of my previous post since you're the TO of No Johns
I don't think anyone here is running tournies just to get some extra money. Unless it's like a smash fest in your basement, that you'd charge a $2 venue fee or something.

I think we are here so that melee can thrive, correct? I'm going to do this for the community, not for me. I even will work towards entering my own crew into the tournament (and myself) [we'd rotate staff] so that they (AND ME LOL) can have fun while they and me are also helping others have fun. : D

I also am thinking of either delegating any extra money to the church (where I will be hosting at) or as a donation to some organization that would need it, like save the puppies. : ]

I'd let everyone know that, of course.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I don't think anyone here is running tournies just to get some extra money. Unless it's like a smash fest in your basement, that you'd charge a $2 venue fee or something.

I think we are here so that melee can thrive, correct? I'm going to do this for the community, not for me. I even will work towards entering my own crew into the tournament (and myself) [we'd rotate staff] so that they (AND ME LOL) can have fun. : D

I also am thinking of either delegating any extra money to the church (where I will be hosting at) or as a donation to some organization that would need it, like save the puppies. : ]

I'd let everyone know that, of course.
You could advertise it as another SmashAid type of thing where some money gets donated. Those always had solid crowds IIRC

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You could advertise it as another SmashAid type of thing where some money gets donated. Those always had solid crowds IIRC
True, I could do that. Although I mean my first tourny wouldn't be some of it be donated, I just mean if there was any extra I'd give that to church or donate it.

Then somewhere down the line I'd host a tourny like that.

So yeah, like you said, I'd just have a footnote that would have Smashaid as a tag or something and I'd say that any extra money (Probably venue money) would be given to the church or something.

Alukard

Smash Hero
ok so the point i want to make is take a break ... i had no johns take a 2 month hiatus and no one noticed lol .. its ok to do so ... it spices your return ... lets just not be mean to each other!!! because we want everything to be good/cool and friendly so people will actually come out to nyc for tournaments ... because even tho we dont play much ... we are still the best! <3 =]

Top Bottom