• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sad Story

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Lmfao, I lost to a Wolf, as well. Thing is, it's not a bad match-up, and laser spam is nothing (seriously people, learn to perfect shield). Just don't try to play your usual grabby game of doom, because there are VERY FEW openings in which you can grab him. Dsmash spam is too fast. Approach from the air, and get that ******* off the stage. Once that's done, it's GGs to him. Simple as that, really.

MK and GaW are different cases. Those characters are good, and ****broke, respectively. I highly suggest picking up a secondary for the fight v GaW, especially with how much you're going to see it as more people find out just how amazing he is.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i know exactly what u mean man. I saw xYz play G&W at the tourny, and it was like the first time i saw Wes play melee. Me and my crew were just like.... "oh, i didnt know u could move liek that in brawl.... cool"

and yea... i honestly think G&W is the best character in the game right now... but.. i still think wolf is the most easy mode. lol

Well i plan on learning how to fight wolf with sonic definately, and thanks for the tips =)

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Wes, widely known for discovering most of the samus tricks in melee(and being one of, if not the best samus player in melee)

I always see him at magfest, but the last magfest was in January (before Brawl)

I've never seen or heard of him playing brawl at all actually, but im sure in january i will see first hand.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
you should go to magfest then. i think its on newyears this year. In virginia.

Sp3ed0fSoUnD

Smash Cadet
Awww sorry to hear that change man, I've felt exactly the same way you have and I've come SO close to switching as well, but I just cant let Sonic go no matter how much I know he's not a great competitive character just because hes.. well... Sonic lol.

PS. Yea Wolf is not only hard for Sonic but I think for A LOT of characters, and good luck with your change

Dsparil

Smash Rookie
anyone fight a lv 9 Mario with Sonic? XD
That's exactly what I did when I was learning Sonic. It was a pain in the ***, but I felt proud when I actually killed a LVL 9 Mario the first time. I can now do it constantly, but if I'm drowsy, I can still lose.

Today, I just did a Lucario vs a LVL 9 Wolf, and beat him my first try. Also note that I haven't sleeped in the last 48 hours(bad case of insomia), and it was still fairly easy. I'm going to have a field day on WiFi tomorrow.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
computers dont play like humans at all. thats all he is saying.

computers will teach you to abuse the same things over and over. because if u can fool a pc once, you can fool it twice... but humans are not like that at all.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I think Zeal once said that if you have to practice against CPUs, to play actually against level 3s or something like that so you can practice your comboing or chasing or whatever.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad Sonic isn't a top tier, it keeps all the posers away.

Plus, it's just more gratifying when you win with your low tier character against some scrub Pit/Wolf who thinks he tough **** because he knows how to roll and fsmash.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone cares, but i changed my main back to sonic after some experimenting with up B and learning stutter smashing more.

I think sonic can be a competition for wolf now atleast. so i am back on him.

Sp3ed0fSoUnD

Smash Cadet
Cool R4ZE, good to hear we got you back on the Sonic side =) I think I have to practice stutter smashing as well 'cause theres very few times were my Fsmash won't reach my opponent, well anyway good to have you back.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Im still confused about the common Sonic mismatches. The only people I have trouble with are Olimar, Diddy, and Toon Link, but I lose to them no matter who I am.

It is not a Sonic thing.

IMO, as a considerable smash analyist, Sonic has no mismatches. Although he as a disadvantage in every fight, its not a mismatch. Does that make sence?

No character has such a strong power over him, if a Sonic player uses the tech effectively, A Sonic can win everymatch.

But i guess thats kind of a general concept, that I can get extremely flamed for, so I will shut up know.

But, if anyone understands what I am really talking about, then plz help me look like less of an idiot.

Browny

Smash Hater
yeah i agree, sonic just has to change his playstyle. i have no problems dealing with my brothers G&W, luigi, wario, pikachu and other anti-sonic characters but then he goes and picks CF, ganondorf and samus and beats me. it was all because i played wrong for each game. knowing when you should take the enemy to the air or fight on the ground, or simply spam running shield grabs seems to be the biggest factor. for example against samus i tried to fight on the ground since her f-air is pretty prioritastic, all this resulted in was giving her far too many chances to charge her neutral b. keeping her in the air for as log as possible would have made all the difference.

you really have to know when to change your playstyle pretty quickly depending on the other player. considerably more harder than playing someone like marth, no matter who you are against or what character they use, all you have to do is spam side b, fair and fsmash and you win.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
that is an amazing point.

i think that we sonic users need to focus on learning how the other characters feel, how they move, and defenately how they line up their killer moves.

I notice that i fight a lot better against wolf now that i have played him more. It's like i can feel what would be going through my mind if i WAS my opponent.

and a nother big thing to consider: just think to yourself where your opponents strong points are. For example, WOLF ownz the ground, so try to stay in the air... Metaknight is most vulnerable from the top of his character space, and should be mostly avoided and punished rather than met with an attack because he has amazing priority.

it seems like as long as sonic isn;t being spammed with range moves, he can always wait for an opening that is unavoidable. (and with exception of wolf, he can usually spin dash into sum1 and deal some damage if they start to spam range)

Tenki

Smash Hero
yeah i agree, sonic just has to change his playstyle. i have no problems dealing with my brothers G&W, luigi, wario, pikachu and other anti-sonic characters but then he goes and picks CF, ganondorf and samus and beats me. it was all because i played wrong for each game. knowing when you should take the enemy to the air or fight on the ground, or simply spam running shield grabs seems to be the biggest factor. for example against samus i tried to fight on the ground since her f-air is pretty prioritastic, all this resulted in was giving her far too many chances to charge her neutral b. keeping her in the air for as log as possible would have made all the difference.

you really have to know when to change your playstyle pretty quickly depending on the other player. considerably more harder than playing someone like marth, no matter who you are against or what character they use, all you have to do is spam side b, fair and fsmash and you win.
o_O;

That's weird. I won pretty much all my games against Ganondorf. Maybe it's because I know his movesets and playstyle and I can predict his moves. Maybe it's my heavy spring/spin dash/feint reliance in fights.

I also tried out this weird kind of playstyle with Sonic.

Stand/"camp" outside their immediate range of attack (eg, 1/3-1/2 of Final Destination away). If they do an attack that causes any point of vulnerability, run in and punish.

Believe it or not, I punished Ganondorf's jab attack coming from a camp>run approach lol. It's the illusion of distance. Your opponent may feel like you're far away, but in reality, it's just as bad as you standing right next to them.

I had some rounds with Flying Dutchman's Ganondorf, since he wanted to confirm what he thought about the Ganondorf vs Sonic matchup, since it was thought on the boards that Ganondorf had the advantage against Sonic. Ganondorf got demolished ._.;

so... yeh. Adapt to players' styles. Learn their weaknesses, do the whole Slippy thing.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
some of you know ive recently picked up sonic as a secondary-level char, and i just wanted to comment:

SHfair is too good. Aerial dodge counter, gimp machine, and can be lagless landing like Wolf's SHFair.

...that is all

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i liek izzy's shfair into bair. thats just nasty.

sonic really isnt so bad =)

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
i liek izzy's shfair into bair. thats just nasty.

sonic really isnt so bad =)

i think you might be right for once R4ZE...

i told you months ago that i didnt think sonic was a viable competitive character...

now...i think every character in brawl can be used at a competitive level...

(plus...sonic can infinite lucas and ness...that fact alone makes him a great character! lmfao)

so yea...sonic ftw

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
This is exactly why I've picked up other characters. So I know how they fight, where their weak points are, and how to counter them. Sonic is a punishment character, simple as that. He can't punish hard, but he can punish so often that it doesn't even matter.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Why?!

i Main Falcon still, ever since 64, but when I heard Sonic was comming to join the Brawl i made a vow to main next to Falcon or even more. I had my share of spamers, sure it sucks but don't give up

BTW next time a Wolf spams lazers, spam homming attack, and cancel it also sometimes to really piss off your opponent

Heroic

Smash Cadet
Well, I read the OP's post, and all I have to reply is:

My friend, who is fairly good at smash, uses wolf, and I don't have any problem beating him with sonic. Hell, I only used him a few times, and I still beat him. Do you even know you can jump out of your forward b? and your air dodge? his laser should not be a nuisance, nor any other projectile in the game, sonic is just too fast.
Be creative, don't forget that you can cancel your forward b, and that your down air has good ko power and a lot of priority. I know sonic isn't an easy character to figure out, some people just seem to not be able to play with him, while some can. Don't give up.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Well, I read the OP's post, and all I have to reply is:

My friend, who is fairly good at smash, uses wolf, and I don't have any problem beating him with sonic. Hell, I only used him a few times, and I still beat him. Do you even know you can jump out of your forward b? and your air dodge? his laser should not be a nuisance, nor any other projectile in the game, sonic is just too fast.
Be creative, don't forget that you can cancel your forward b, and that your down air has good ko power and a lot of priority. I know sonic isn't an easy character to figure out, some people just seem to not be able to play with him, while some can. Don't give up.
You can jump out of your forward b? Shit! This guy is like... a revolutionary. I can't believe I never knew that before.

Sonic's dair has ~okay~ priority. A lot of things can beat it. In fact, I'm lead to believe it has poor priority, but most people don't react in time.

Your friend's Wolf is probably meh at best. Play a tournament Wolf. Granted, most of us that lost to Wolf can now beat him handily, and only lost to him before because we didn't know the match-up, but still, don't use a friend's Wolf, unless he places well in tournaments, as an example.

Heroic

Smash Cadet
Ive got an even better idea: run, powershield his projectile, then run and grab him. end of story

R4ZE

Smash Ace
its cool, i got it.

I havent fought a wolf in a while but i have 2 solutions to fighting wolf:
1.Mirror- because i can prove im better on a fair feild, its so easy!(this obviously worked in the tournament, since i 3 stocked the wolf kid twice ina row.)
2. give him the spring. lol.. luh dat move.

i have other characters i started learning as well. Falco iis a wolf counter i hear, and i personally think my ZSS would truck any wolf, based on ZSS's down B is rediculous, and ZSS has good range, and insane airials.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
that doesnt even make any sence. if you where ZHOOOing into her privatal areas then yeah, ok, lame but that has some sence built in.

you Heroic, have fail. gtfo

R4ZE

Smash Ace
meh this thread fails. whoever started it is a noob. Screw you past R4ZE!

Sonic pwnz.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I had the same problem against Wolf. But it was an online match. The Wolf was just using blaster, f-smash, and d-smash with lots of lags. Whenever I would try to respond and counter, the lag would own me, and wolf's f-smash works great with lag. So I ended up losing. But the Wolf player took a great advantage of the lag by using the fastest most unpunishable smashes in the game. Both of which Wolf has. *_*
I swear I would beat that guy with no lag. >.<

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I HATE SPAMMERS!! God, they take your skill...and then just crush it...its so cheap and pathetic but sadly it works. Although, i can say ive beaten wolf with sonic, but u shouldnt give up on him. My mains are Sonic, then Luigi, but Sonic i can beat almost anyone with, except for Marth...he's my main trouble. but hey ya know, do what ya gotta do...

(i totally disagree that sonic is a low tier character)

Top Bottom