• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SA] Adelaide - Valhalla, November

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I've put a lot of thought into it and come up with an answer: Not enough experience. The only match up I vs'ed while learning was a wolf, and so molded my play style around that. For example against your Jigglypuff and your "horizontal air pound thing." Against a wolf I wouldn't have to worry about any attacks like that and so haven't learn't to properly counter it which is why you always hit me with it.

Once I start frequently coming to tournaments I hope to kill that "little habit." Just a small theory I came up with.
I have the same problem in Melee, with match-up experience I mean.

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Pretty much, you can't get that good unless you have been to a few tourneys (or practiced with people better than you), so it's to be expected.
...Unless you're zxv or something.

Aces, imo, the key points your MK needs to work on is more tilts (f-tilt, mix up the timing), less shuttle loop (and when you do use it try to cancel it as close to the floor as possible), and don't d-smash whenever anyone is near you otherwise it'll be picked up on.

Although I do that with Peach on Melee lololol.

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice
We generally do Blazblue, and just keep forgetting about hl2. Mariokart depends upon someone bringing it.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Wookie will there still be sponership for smash bros, prizes in the next Valhalla event? I'll try make sure there are more set-ups to cater for a larger turnout.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
We generally do Blazblue, and just keep forgetting about hl2. Mariokart depends upon someone bringing it.
Oh I forgot, Air Hockey/Table Tennis/Foosball as well. Preferably Air Hockey imo, but other people may have other opinions.

I would be surprised if you can get competitive HL2:DM players other than myself, it isn't exactly the most popular game. :laugh:

If anyone is reading this and plays HL2:DM btw, please PM me!

SethT

Smash Ace
Pretty much, you can't get that good unless you have been to a few tourneys (or practiced with people better than you), so it's to be expected.
...Unless you're zxv or something.

Aces, imo, the key points your MK needs to work on is more tilts (f-tilt, mix up the timing), less shuttle loop (and when you do use it try to cancel it as close to the floor as possible), and don't d-smash whenever anyone is near you otherwise it'll be picked up on.

Although I do that with Peach on Melee lololol.
Thanks for the advice! To practice mode!

On that note, what do you guys think about practicing against computers?

Oh I forgot, Air Hockey/Table Tennis/Foosball as well. Preferably Air Hockey imo, but other people may have other opinions.

I would be surprised if you can get competitive HL2:DM players other than myself, it isn't exactly the most popular game. :laugh:

If anyone is reading this and plays HL2:DM btw, please PM me!
Air Hockey, Table Tennis, and Foosball all sounds sweet :D dodgeball was great fun at reloaded.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
On that note, what do you guys think about practicing against computers?
Okay, here is my advice, coming from someone who played pretty much only CPUs since Brawl's release, and for Melee since 2003/4-ish:

• Practicing against humans is ALWAYS better, no matter how crap your opponent, it is still better. Even Wi-Fi is better than playing CPUs.
• Only play against Lv1 - Lv3 CPUs.
• Do not chase them off the stage, ever. It develops poor habits.
• Do not use tactics against them that would not actually work on humans. You can beat even Lv9 CPUs by spamming Tornadoes and Down Smash, but that will not work against any good humans.
• Try and focus on specific aspects of your game while playing them, rather than focusing on beating them. For example, if you notice your shielding-on-reaction is poor, then practice it against CPUs, even if it means shielding more than you would in a real match.
• Play against characters you are likely to encounter in tournaments, this is so you can sub-consciously get used to the amount of damage/knock-back/etc... there attacks do, how heavy they are, what can combo them, etc...
• Never get disheartened if you are losing to them, and DON'T break the above rules to try and beat them! CPUs have access to frame perfect timing, they will do crazy ****, just persist with what you are doing, even if it is hardly working against them.
• Don't practice in training mode. There are no stale moves, and you can't set the matches to tournament settings.

SethT

Smash Ace
Okay, here is my advice, coming from someone who played pretty much only CPUs since Brawl's release, and for Melee since 2003/4-ish:

• Practicing against humans is ALWAYS better, no matter how crap your opponent, it is still better. Even Wi-Fi is better than playing CPUs.
• Only play against Lv1 - Lv3 CPUs.
• Do not chase them off the stage, ever. It develops poor habits.
• Do not use tactics against them that would not actually work on humans. You can beat even Lv9 CPUs by spamming Tornadoes and Down Smash, but that will not work against any good humans.
• Try and focus on specific aspects of your game while playing them, rather than focusing on beating them. For example, if you notice your shielding-on-reaction is poor, then practice it against CPUs, even if it means shielding more than you would in a real match.
• Play against characters you are likely to encounter in tournaments, this is so you can sub-consciously get used to the amount of damage/knock-back/etc... there attacks do, how heavy they are, what can combo them, etc...
• Never get disheartened if you are losing to them, and DON'T break the above rules to try and beat them! CPUs have access to frame perfect timing, they will do crazy ****, just persist with what you are doing, even if it is hardly working against them.
• Don't practice in training mode. There are no stale moves, and you can't set the matches to tournament settings.
:o wow thanks grim! I'll definitely be taking most of these, if not all of them into account.

Jamage

Smash Ace
NNID
Jamage007
3DS FC
5412-9923-5145
Switch FC
1787 8077 0889
Could do another Smash meet at my place again soon if people are keen. Need more replays for montage.
Try for a Saturday this time.

zApollo

Smash Ace
So jamage, when's the meet? I'll get my stuff from Nova then as well...depending on studies of course.

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice

As the poster says you will be able to get your tickets for half price. Tickets will be released early next week, but its expected that upon presentation of your student ID you will recieve half price for that ID only. One half price ticket per ID. Another announcement will be made here when they are available.

Other competitions not mentioned on the image, should include a potential trial for a Madden console competition (pending availability), possibly blazblue and other tournaments. The list is by no means final, and feel free to have your say in the relative input threads.

If your primary reason for attending is "leeching" then we will now be grouping you in a specific seating area to greater benefit everyone at the LAN.

Cash prizes for this event:
Counterstrike Source 5v5 - $200
Call of Duty 4 5v5 - $150
Tekken VI - $50
Superstreetfighter IV - $50
Starcraft 2 1v1 - $50
Smash Bros Brawl - $50

Other competitions can be nominated or suggested in the leadup to the event in the relative threads.
PC - http://www.valhalla.net.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=20708&p=197099
Console - http://www.valhalla.net.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=20709

Event timetable (preliminary) is here.
Seating reservation map and thread is here

Valhalla prizes are made possible thanks to our awesome sponsors at Allneeds, Engineering IT, Static Mammal, Thermaltake, Steelseries and Anyware. Valhalla events are made possible due to our awesome admin team. If you'd like to be part of the team please email committee@valhalla.net.au

The_Wookie

Smash Apprentice

Other comps not listed on poster: fifa, rock band, pc deathmatch competitions.
console entry is only $10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom