• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(S.A.) Jan 2010 Reloaded 5: 10k cash, $90k prizes - preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordsaint

Smash Master
What if we're not interested in anything else that they have to offer in terms of games? All he's really arguing is why should we be paying for the counter strike prizes when we came to play brawl.

This could be so much more successful throughout the brawl scene if Smash wasn't always just leeching off of FPS competition. In SA, Smash tournaments live off the FPS tournaments and the cost of (the scene) living is paying the FPS organisers off so that Smash can still keep it's place.

All we really want is for our invested money to stay circulating within the Smash community instead of being used to pay for the FPS shooters, simply because the organisers think they're more mainstream, and maybe they are, but why always pick on the little guys?

/done- I didn't get to add my piece before.

Ant1

Smash Ace
I don't see how CS is still popular it's so outdated it isn't funny.

And u are paying for the venue, this isn't some dimly lit hall with no air-conditioning. It's a massive place, last time they had a few 60+ inch tv screens, one which was used for a wii which would've been 100inch.

+u get some showbag as part of the ticket IIRC.
Last time u could also play a plethora of 360 games, they just had disks on a table, u ask to take one and u can go play it.
I don't see how someone could travel interstate for a video game, and have no interests in any other video games besides brawl.

Ant1

Smash Ace
I mean that if you are that INTO a game, that you will actually go interstate for tournaments then you are a 'gamer'. And being a gamer u play a lot of different games. Swordsaint basically said ,why would we pay this big entry fee if we only wanna play brawl.
I just don't believe that u can be that into video games, and u only play 1 game.
Even guitarherophenom plays other games besides music rythym ones.

Browny

Smash Hater
What the hell are you guys on about

I dont brag about 'how much im gonna beat you' lol. I also never asked to be included in any eastern states thing, just wanted to know why. but when people like to make assumptions about how they could **** sa with captain falcon (HI SHAYA) ill be more than happy to correct them :)

@ swordsaint
your assumptions are so wrong its beyond the joke. its the majority of PC gamers which allow us to have an amazing venue booked out for 2 days. plasmas, massive LCD's, projectors, full air-con/heating and a ton of TV's for console players are a very good trade-off

Zero

Smash Hero
I think the point that everyone is trying to make here is that we're a competitive scene, and if we're going to be traveling out of state to attend anything, it better be a Smash tournament, not a LAN with a Smash novelty event. That's what I think that everyone is getting annoyed over, that we're most probably going to this event in January, paying our money and having it siphoned away to fund another competition. That's generally not how we, as a community, run things. Separating venue hire and event hire is tried and tested, and it works. If it used that system, I think everyone here would be pleased.

I don't care about the money, I'm probably going to come down regardless of what happens, since I love this game and frankly, I've never played you SA guys. :D

Browny

Smash Hater
Well I guess you guys will just have to wait and see

I can just about guarantee you will change your mind once you go to one of these massive lans :p

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Okay.

How many people go to this thing?

1000 people?

How many games?

But let's talk about smash anyway. Let's give a rough estimate of 50 people going. With many of the out of staters primarily focussed on smash, and only playing the other games PURELY BECAUSE THEY'RE THERE AND THEY THROW THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR LIKE THEY JUST DONT CARE.

So 1000 people, 100k in prizes; 50 smashers.
So instead of us getting something close to 5% of the PRIZES ($5000) they're only willing to give us $500, i.e. ZERO POINT FIVE percent.
I'd like to see how many people are entering certain tournaments SERIOUSLY, and how much their game gets the distribution (i.e. in my eyes Reloaded's "respect") of the 100k for their amount of players.

Because right now I don't see why a game with 50 people and probably 5% of the attendants (unique or not) should get 1/10th of that in prizes.
It's definitely akin to a side tournament.

Browny

Smash Hater
Think of it like this

100k prixes mostly on PC gaming crowd -> a ton of people turn up
a ton of people turn up -> sponsors go crazy
sponsors go crazy -> incredible venue with indoor laser skirmish, 100's of TV,s projectors etc

Without the massive incentive for PC gamers to come, it wouldnt allow sponsors to make this event as big as they can be. without the pc gaming crowd, it would be nothing. just a typical random hall you can book out where everyone has to bring their tv's and its go there, play smash, go home. remember there are a lot of console tournaments, smash is like, one of maybe 10. Its a lot better this way :)

Ant1

Smash Ace
But Shaya, u get a showbag full of goodies!

Subway delivered to the event last time, u just had to pay like $6 for a footlong.
And who doesnt like guitarhero?

Zero

Smash Hero
Guitar Hero is crap.

Cold is defeated by wearing clothes.

Size of TVs is irrelevant when you're sitting less than a metre from the screen anyway.

Smash tournaments are all about the atmosphere, not the location.

I love the idea of Subway delivery though.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Subway, GROSS.

(Food snob)

The Reloaded setup is hella fun, although it rates as the most exhausting tournament I've ever participated in, by FAR. I literally collapsed in front of a Goldeneye tourney.

2.30am start LOL?

4am crew battle? LOOOOL :grin:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
dude, I dont see whats the big deal (well ok I do since I read and understood all your arguements)
but FFS, I'm not a smash player, I'm a video gamer and as such play heaps and heaps of games and I am gonna come to this and have mad fun playing everything, even if I get *** *****, all they need now is some tetris and to change the soul calibur to number 2.

also what cao says sparks my intrest furthur, a noctural tourney? thats my zone baby!

(also big tv's are great, thats me and jambo's doubles secret if you can remeber ted's 2nd tourney)

Browny

Smash Hater
our brawl 1vs1 finals have finished > 2.00am on a number of occasions lol. last reloaded had doubles start at about 5:30am i believe :p

Ant1

Smash Ace
Last time I entered the Halo 3 FFA thinking i'll do alright, im fairly good at this game. But man i got overwhelmed by their knowledge of the map we were playing on, grenades every second and headshots galore. It would be the same with counter-strike, they know everything about each level. And u would get headshotted the instant u pop ur head around a corner.
I got i think 26 kills which was alright i guess, it was first to 50 fyi.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
if it were halo 2 it would be awesome, but halo 3 is meh...

as for cs, we should totally play break the floor maps and just spam nades

Nova

Banned via Warnings
Geh, Halo. Hopefully they have something for the re-release of Perfect Dark N64 for the 360 due out this summer; my favorite multiplayer game ever. <3

I'd be willing to donate some prizes (or money, whatever) for a Singles Tournament for this event simply because I can't attend any events anywhere until like December and I was going to go to some Melbourne one in October which I can't anymore so I miss out. :(

SA needs some smash publicity. ^_^

Ant1

Smash Ace
Hopefully a lot of interstaters can still come to this one, the prizes last time were generally 360 related, so if u have a 360 it's all good :D That is if it's the same this time round.
Really this event is the only chance i have to show people in person how 1337 my skills are.

I hope by then i can play the intro to fire and flames expert really good, i can nearly do it :)

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Hopefully a lot of interstaters can still come to this one, the prizes last time were generally 360 related, so if u have a 360 it's all good :D That is if it's the same this time round.
Really this event is the only chance i have to show people in person how 1337 my skills are.

I hope by then i can play the intro to fire and flames expert really good, i can nearly do it :)
better practice up boy, I can do it

always **** up during the solo though :(

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
hell yes, CS team.

I also think we should aim to FORCE the guys to have a counter strike SURF MAP contest.

****ING SURFING IN CS IN A TOURNAMENT WITH PRIZES?

FOOK yeah.

Ant1

Smash Ace
I can hold the intro for a bit, but as soon as i drop it, i can never regain it. I get up to the 2nd star power phase but that's it.
I would probably die at the solo too, but i just wanna be able to do the **** intro!

By next year they may be playing Guitar Hero 5. I think that comes out this year.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
just practice it on slower settings and learn to do it all hammer on's and you'll be fine.

also yes shaya wins the thread, surf maps are gold.

tedeth

Smash Master
It's a good experience to play good players. We're going to America to play the likes of Ally and M2K. We will get absolutely *****, but it'll make us better players.

S.D

Smash Master
It's a good experience to play good players. We're going to America to play the likes of Ally and M2K. We will get absolutely *****, but it'll make us better players.
Well so long as you analyse what went wrong and how you got ***** + ask for help from those guys. Just playing against them won't automatically make you better. But I'm sure you knew that already - I'm just jealous :(

Ant1

Smash Ace
Well with that attitude you wont. U must BELIEVE in yourself and then u will win :chuckle:
I bet if u asked for help from M2K he would just ignore u, considering u have to pay them to play them i don't see why they would do such a thing. They so mean. :chuckle:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey ant, I like how you just made a huge assumption about people you dont know based on stupidity and ignorance, makes you look pretty good around here.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I still don't have a permanent brawl doubles partner :(

Toby and Ricky
Ted and Luke
Tim is in another dimension... I miss him :(

Luckily Dedede is just too good, and S.D happens to know what tech chasing and **** is. Tis all you need.

tedeth

Smash Master
Don't worry Tim will be back in the scene at the end of the year. Then you can make some crazy DK/Marth team. Or even DK/D3. DK3!!!! Or even DoDoDonkey Kong. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom