• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Ryu Combo Thread

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
Would Ryu be considered a more of a ground based fighter than an aerial fighter? I get his aerials are strong but he seems more of a ground based fighter. Is this true?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
How do you guys go about landing his combo starting tilts? Soft Utilt has so little range I feel like a read is required to get it in the neutral. Help?

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Did some testing.

Shakunetsu Hadouken causes knockdown(if all four hits hit?) which can set up dash attack/short hop fair combo opportunies. :)

Edit:also,does anyone know if ryus retreating falling u air can be shieldgrabbed? If not my gut tells me it can follow up(of course the opponent still has time to react).

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if this combo has already been posted, as I haven't read the entire thread, but one string I like doing is SH nair > cr.lk x2 > cr.mk > true DP. When done correctly, nice 5-hit combo that nets you a good 36%. Tested on ZSS.

Last edited:

ArticulateT

Smash Journeyman
Been trying for the most part to get the following combo to work, but my timing is off, and I don't think it works on certain characters (Marth is a yes, Sheik is a no)

Focus Punch > Dash Cancel forwards > L.Dtilt > L.Dtilt > Grab > DThrow > Input Shoryuken

The issue becomes whether or not the target slides back enough to be out of range of your grab.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
SH double nair is possible if you time your first nair IMMEDIATELY after short hopping. if you're running forward it's kind of tricky to not do a forward air, but you really have to hit A right after jump VERY quickly. If you do this close to a tall opponent you can get two sweetspotted nairs for 16 dmg, and you can input dragon punch or whatever right after.

i recommend going into training mode and setting the time to 2/3 or something so you can see how it works, then you can work on the timing

Last edited:

DuckyHunter

Smash Rookie
Doing some testing since icraq said double nair was possible. You actually get access to some really high damage percentage specific combos.
Tested on pit 55%-65% in training mode
Running approach sh sweetspot nair -> sweetspot nair -> run -> fh sweatspot nair -> tatsumaki 35%
This is also possible off of FADC2/3 starting at 45% FADC2 and 38% FADC3
Cool trap SH nair -> nair -> pause or run forward -> no tech -> strong true hadoken(reset) -> run -> dtiltx2 -> true shoryuken
Combos seem to start shortly after opponents go into tumble from sweetspot nair otherwise they hit the ground before the second nair making teching possible.

And apparently I have no life so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3OpgsSTFcE&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Doing some testing since icraq said double nair was possible. You actually get access to some really high damage percentage specific combos.
Running approach sh sweetspot nair -> sweetspot nair -> run -> fh sweatspot nair -> tatsumaki 35%
Cool trap SH nair -> nair -> pause or run forward -> no tech -> strong true hadoken(reset) -> run -> dtiltx2 -> true shoryuken
Combos seem to start shortly after opponents go into tumble from sweetspot nair otherwise they hit the ground before the second nair making teching possible.
good work here! just from what you've posted i think this is his highest potential combo starter at lowest percents.
i'm wondering if double nair can be shield grabbed. like if the late nair hits shield and then the 2nd sweetspot nair comes out right before hitting the ground. i think with proper spacing it might be possible to be safe on shield?

edit: wait you did this on pit at 55? nevermind about the low percent thing! if someone's at 50, you get double nair that puts them at 66, one more nair is 74 if you could connect DP at the end somehow it could KO with rage. though the nairs would be a little stale damage wise by that point.

Last edited:

DuckyHunter

Smash Rookie
good work here! just from what you've posted i think this is his highest potential combo starter at lowest percents.
i'm wondering if double nair can be shield grabbed. like if the late nair hits shield and then the 2nd sweetspot nair comes out right before hitting the ground. i think with proper spacing it might be possible to be safe on shield?

edit: wait you did this on pit at 55? nevermind about the low percent thing! if someone's at 50, you get double nair that puts them at 66, one more nair is 74 if you could connect DP at the end somehow it could KO with rage. though the nairs would be a little stale damage wise by that point.
It could kill with rage. I don't really have a way to test however. And nair -> nair -> run -> shoryu does work.

Last edited:

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice

And apparently I have no life so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3OpgsSTFcE&feature=youtu.be

Your sh Nair combo can kill at 55% if all hits are sweet spotted. Sh Nair sweet > sh Nair sweet > run > true DP. Your opponent will still be floating in the air in hit stun, giving you the chance to kill. Well, with Mewtwo, anyways.

Last edited:

DuckyHunter

Smash Rookie
Your sh Nair combo can kill at 55% if all hits are sweet spotted. Sh Nair sweet > sh Nair sweet > run > true DP. Your opponent will still be floating in the air in hit stun, giving you the chance to kill. Well, with Mewtwo, anyways.
It kills pit if you start the combo at 60% that's no red flash no di though so with di it prob won't. 61% shoryuken doesn't combo however,

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
an easy way to factor in rage is give 1% per 10% dmg, so if ryu has 100% dmg and your opponent is at 55%, consider them at 65% in terms of knockback scaling.

there's some discrepancies to that formula though, some moves have greater gains from rage and it's not really clear yet what moves do and why. like falcon's upsmash.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Hey @ ItsRainingGravy ItsRainingGravy I think you should streamline the OP and list combos in ascending order (lower % damage combos first, higher % damage combos last), scour the thread and add combos that people have posted (that you have tested) to the OP, and add rough damage values. Most of the combo threads in the other boards operate this way.

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I don't know if this combo is known already or not, but I managed to get a sweet fair Sourspot > true DP kill at 105%. It's kind of a b*tch to pull off cause the timing/input is a bit strict, and probably isn't very practical, but its possible. Take a look:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Welp there are two words for Ryu:
OP
I mean we've had him for a week so probably not

Hey guys. I don't know if this combo is known already or not, but I managed to get a sweet fair Sourspot > true DP kill at 105%. It's kind of a b*tch to pull off cause the timing/input is a bit strict, and probably isn't very practical, but its possible. Take a look:

Sourspot Fair and Nairs have multiple combos at multiple percents. One of the easier ones is Sourspot Nair into Dsmash (20%). You can also land sourspot Fair > Usmash (25%). But this is all based on weight, hurtbox, fall speed, and timing. Honestly Id try to test this out against the high tiers since thats probably who we're gonna fight the most in tournaments.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I know its probably been posted already but man, late dair into true DP is one of the best punishes. 30% combo.. Death if started at 70% on avg.. Yeah. Fixed KB means this works at high percents. Hell if you could just focus on only getting this combo you'd only need to land 3 dairs per stock and a couple hadoukens.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I know its probably been posted already but man, late dair into true DP is one of the best punishes. 30% combo.. Death if started at 70% on avg.. Yeah. Fixed KB means this works at high percents. Hell if you could just focus on only getting this combo you'd only need to land 3 dairs per stock and a couple hadoukens.
Is Sourspot Dair's KB fixed or is the Growth on it so low it's not a factor? Also ill try incoprating this more, if this is reliable that means 3 out of 5 aerials are combo starters and would help Ryu's get damage/get the kill

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Don't know if anybody else mentioned it but Falling Sweetspot Fair to another Fair at low %'s is pretty neat and does a hefty 30% damage if you hit with the foot both times.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Is Sourspot Dair's KB fixed or is the Growth on it so low it's not a factor? Also ill try incoprating this more, if this is reliable that means 3 out of 5 aerials are combo starters and would help Ryu's get damage/get the kill
As long as your opponent is grounded there is no sourspot dair. It's always 12% and the KB does increase slightly so it's not completely fixed but it's very low growth.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
As long as your opponent is grounded there is no sourspot dair. It's always 12% and the KB does increase slightly so it's not completely fixed but it's very low growth.
Hmm didnt know this. Alright guess I got some practice to do tomorrow.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Hmm didnt know this. Alright guess I got some practice to do tomorrow.
Something to note is its inflexibility to true combo on floaties. Jiggs, Rosa, all seem difficult to time the sweetspot of the DP within the true combo window.
Another factor is if you slightly overshoot your opponent you have to reverse DP. But hey, free style points.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Don't know if anybody else mentioned it but Falling Sweetspot Fair to another Fair at low %'s is pretty neat and does a hefty 30% damage if you hit with the foot both times.
Ya Fair into Fair is free damage.

On tall characters you can also start it with a Rising FH Fair > DJ Fair > Shory
And on some heavies you can Falling Fair > RIsing FH Fair > DJ Fair / Shory

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Hey @ ItsRainingGravy ItsRainingGravy I think you should streamline the OP and list combos in ascending order (lower % damage combos first, higher % damage combos last), scour the thread and add combos that people have posted (that you have tested) to the OP, and add rough damage values. Most of the combo threads in the other boards operate this way.
I updated the OP. I will continue to work on it later tonight/this week.

Sorry for the delays. Relationship problems. Everything is fine now, though.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Warning Received
I updated the OP. I will continue to work on it later tonight/this week.

Sorry for the delays. Relationship problems. Everything is fine now, though.
Thats good to hear. Also no need to apologize everyone was having fun finding new combos to do with Ryu.:bee:

So another sourspot Nair combo, and im sorry if I or someone else already posted this, is Nair > Fsmash. The tricky thing about this combo is that you cannot just be vertically falling you have to be moving towards your opponent and FF the Nair right before or as soon as you make contact with the opponent. Or you could land the Nair right on top of them, it'll look like a crossup, that way you can land the Fsmash. It works as low as 75% on Mario and as high as 125%. It could be a bit higher but after that it becomes inconsistent.

However I recommend the Sourspot Nair > Dsmash combo because that is far far more consistent and a solid 20% damage. I'd only go for this combo if you can KO them with Fsmash, it does 22-23 damage.

Edit: Becareful with the latter way of performing this combo as you might send them the opposite direction instead and miss your Fsmash.

Last edited by a moderator:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Added approaching sweetspotted Nair combos to the OP.

EDIT: Hmm...just noticed that updating the thread title removed the "Data" tag. Whoops.

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
weak fair--->dair is a true combo. Pulled it off against another Ryu and secured a spike off the edge with it, killed him at 60%. It was beautiful.

Weak fair also true combos into a jumping Tatsumaki Senpukyaku. It seems like the sweet spot only hits with forward b, if anyone knows if it can be timed into the true input I would love to know how. As of now, it kills around 130-140% without the input.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
Ryu's up tilt into dair is a true combo into spike at high percentages

Best time to use it in my opinion is when someone is on the ledge and they use ledge get up and you punish them with up tilt into spike.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Made a huge combo compendium when he came out. If you guys are looking for base combos or what strings into what you can check it out here. footstool stuff included of course.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
So should we list set ups as well as combos? Or would you rather them be tried and true combos?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
At around 35 ~ 40: Falling Nair > SH Rising Nair > Falling Nair > Rising Fair. 39% Combo.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
So should we list set ups as well as combos? Or would you rather them be tried and true combos?
I think set ups are just as important if not more but Idk if this is the thread for it.

lvl 2,3 focus -> sh dair true shoryu true combo on characters like fox,falco. seems to kill if you get it around 60%

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Tried and true combos are far more practical. Would greatly enjoy them being listed.

Setups could be put in a separate list.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Well we probably could do some nice combos of a person who tripped due to Hadoken. Anyone know the percentage that Hadoken has?

Bergbuur

Smash Rookie
Strong D-Tilt -> Shoryuken at very close range is great. does 20% and kills.
pretty much everything else I have has already been said.
You can also do a Strong D-Tilt -> Strong true Shoryuken. (+ 3 Damage (25), kills earlier)
The trick is: When do D-Tilt keep holding A and DO NOT release it. Input 6 2 3 and press B (still keep holding A)
So you release the strong true Shoryuken with B.

If you release A before u press B you end up with a weak true Shoryuken or a slow true Hadouken.

I found it out against a Olimar with more than 100%.

Edit: looks like you can not pull it of against every character (some not at high %)

Last edited:
Top Bottom