• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Ryu Combo Thread

Verdant.

Smash Rookie
I don't know if any of these have been said already, but here's what I've discovered:
I tested these all on Roy:
-Falling dair to strong up-tilt (kills at 125%)
-Run up falling nair to weak down-tilt
-Falling dair to weak up tilt
-Falling dair 2 weak up tilts up smash

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if any of these have been said already, but here's what I've discovered:
I tested these all on Roy:
-Falling dair to strong up-tilt (kills at 125%)
-Run up falling nair to weak down-tilt
-Falling dair to weak up tilt
-Falling dair 2 weak up tilts up smash
You seem to like down air as an approach option it seems no?

Verdant.

Smash Rookie
You seem to like down air as an approach option it seems no?
I didn't really take that into consideration, but no, it's not a great approach option. I was just testing to see what worked, but I think it is a good combo starter which would make it good for punishing.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
I didn't really take that into consideration, but no, it's not a great approach option. I was just testing to see what worked, but I think it is a good combo starter which would make it good for punishing.
Ya down air has an 18 frame lag which means if you miss the d-air you'rd gonna get punished. I think it would be easier to replace the dair with a Nair. Just a suggestion.

Verdant.

Smash Rookie
Ya down air has an 18 frame lag which means if you miss the d-air you'rd gonna get punished. I think it would be easier to replace the dair with a Nair. Just a suggestion.
I think dair auto cancels correct me if I'm wrong

Verdant.

Smash Rookie
Some more discoveries (also on Roy):
First hit of uair
But won't you have to like short hop it or fast fall it after you use dair?
I can't check right now, not at home.
Yes, but I don't see how it's a problem

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Some more discoveries (also on Roy):
First hit of uair

Yes, but I don't see how it's a problem
Well for an approach it might be uneffective since the hit boxes seem so small it would be really hard to just approach with it, but within a combo it could be great, such as the
U1-U1-jump sweet spot dair. (Not my combo though.)

Verdant.

Smash Rookie
Well for an approach it might be uneffective since the hit boxes seem so small it would be really hard to just approach with it, but within a combo it could be great, such as the
U1-U1-jump sweet spot dair. (Not my combo though.)
Are you talking about uair or dair for an approach option? I know that both would be bad, but uair would be great mid combo and dair is a great combo starter if you punish your opponent for something, and it's also a great combo finisher.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Are you talking about uair or dair for an approach option? I know that both would be bad, but uair would be great mid combo and dair is a great combo starter if you punish your opponent for something, and it's also a great combo finisher.
U1 is weak uptilt
U2 is heavy
the OP has the key for the moves btw.

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
Alright so I TL;DR'd the second page, but just so you know.

FADC 3 -> Fully charged Upsmash. Free 40% It's super easy if you manage to confirm and start the up smash as quick as you can.

I did a lot of toying and if you're in tournament, and you get the FA 3 off, don't go for the sour fair -> footstool.. just get the 40% and call it a day.

Also if they're above 61% and you land an FADC 3 -> weak dtilt x2 -> input DP kills on omegas.

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Add a lil swag in your step and add 2 cr lk's before the DP haha.

What are everyone's optimal combos at a given percent range?
I find dtilt1 x2 xx dtilt2 xx tatsu good until around 50%

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So I just did a thing. I was practicing dash>DP, and I accidentily did dash>some kick move>DP directly out of dash that showed as a true combo. I can't replicate this and have no idea what it was, but I feel like it could potentially be very useful if we knew what I actually did.

Ultima 3

Smash Cadet
Some stuff I was testing

Easy stuff out the way 1st
Light Down Tilt x3 > Heavy Down Tilt
Light Down Tilt x3 > Hadouken/Shakunetsu Hadouken
Light Down Tilt x3 > Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Light Down Tilt x2 > Shoryuken

Those 4 will always work, no matter the percentage.

Light Up Tilt x2 > Hadouken/Shakunetsu Hadouken - 0-55%
Light Up Tilt x3 > Hadouken/Shakunetsu Hadouken - 0-30%
Light Up Tilt x2 > Tatsumaki Senpukyaku - 0-95%
Light Up Tilt x3 > Shoryuken - 0-100%
Light Up Tilt x2 > Heavy Up Tilt > Shoryuken - 0-49%
Heavy Up Tilt > Shoryuken - 0-61%

Light Down Tilt x3 > Heavy Down Tilt > Hadouken/Shakunetsu Hadouken - 0-31% (Hadouken speed is a factor)
Heavy Down Tilt > Hadouken/Shakunetsu Hadouken - 0-35% (Hadouken speed is a factor)
Light Down Tilt x3 > Heavy Down Tilt > Tatsumaki Senpukyaku - 0-45%
Heavy Down Tilt > Tatsumaki Senpukyaku - 0-49%
Heavy Down Tilt > Shoryuken - 0-75%

Down Throw > Shoryuken - 0-70%

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I think the thing we all REALLY want to know is - Does anything combo into F2 (Strong FTilt) ?

I would like a shield breaker combo please. What I'm currently thinking is that there must be a move that is safe on shield due to push back that can be followed by F2. This would be game-changing for Ryu.

Other applications for F2 include any possible times where opponents are likely to shield against us. These are times where F2 does not need to combo.

For example:

D1,D1,D1,F2

The three D1s act as combo. They put the opponent out of range of further moves, the vast majority of opponents I've played using Ryu try to interrupt us using jab. This misses when Ryu puts the opponent out of range with D1. When they jab and you use F2 your hit connects for good damage. After some time with the opponent taking hits from this some (not all) switch to shielding, this ends quite badly for them.

Ryu's shield breaking game feels like it's the strongest in the game. It's unexplored right now, we need to explore it as part of combos despite the fact the startup of it makes it's application in a combo not "true", it's important for players to utilise it within combos.

Let's face it - Our approaches are bad. Our combos heavily rely on starting from nair or out of shield. Opponents to Ryu that shield grab against him ruin his day often forcing him to play mainly defensive. If his shield breaking game can be unleashed then he can switch from being a defensive heavy character to highly aggressive. Right now aggression only works against bad opponents who don't shield grab his nair.

Last edited:

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
I think the thing we all REALLY want to know is - Does anything combo into F2 (Strong FTilt) ?

I would like a shield breaker combo please. What I'm currently thinking is that there must be a move that is safe on shield due to push back that can be followed by F2. This would be game-changing for Ryu.

Other applications for F2 include any possible times where opponents are likely to shield against us. These are times where F2 does not need to combo.

For example:

D1,D1,D1,F2

The three D1s act as combo. They put the opponent out of range of further moves, the vast majority of opponents I've played using Ryu try to interrupt us using jab. This misses when Ryu puts the opponent out of range with D1. When they jab and you use F2 your hit connects for good damage. After some time with the opponent taking hits from this some (not all) switch to shielding, this ends quite badly for them.

Ryu's shield breaking game feels like it's the strongest in the game. It's unexplored right now, we need to explore it as part of combos despite the fact the startup of it makes it's application in a combo not "true", it's important for players to utilise it within combos.

Let's face it - Our approaches are bad. Our combos heavily rely on starting from nair or out of shield. Opponents to Ryu that shield grab against him ruin his day often forcing him to play mainly defensive. If his shield breaking game can be unleashed then he can switch from being a defensive heavy character to highly aggressive. Right now aggression only works against bad opponents who don't shield grab his nair.
Well said. I agree about approach options for Ryu are lacking.
Shieldbreaking does sound appealing. I will try to find some moves that easily lead into F2.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me

For example:

D1,D1,D1,F2

Is it possible to time nair so you crossup shields? If so, maybe we could nair, land behind, ftilt. I'm in the lab as we speak, so I'll test this stuff.

Edit: yup, the nair thing works. Other possible shield breaks:

Strong jab ftilt

Weak dtilt

Ftilt to multihit fireball at close range puts them in a bad position. If they block the fireball their shield is broken, but so far as I can tell, the fireball covers rollback, jump, and spotdoge. If they figure this out the hard way and start rolling towards you, maybe throw out a dragon punch? Anyways, I'm gonna have to test this option out in real matches. It sounds great.

falling sweetspoted fair (on shield) to ftilt is a thing if you have superb timing. (I only did it once without getting shieldgrabbed)

I'll edit in anything else I come across.

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
FH fair into DP combos at lowmid percents if they no DI or DI UP. Good to look out for when they're flying off the stage.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Just going over the combos I know. Sorry if I overlap anyone elses.

Weak Utilt > Strong Utilt (You can do 2-3 Weak Utilts to add more damage)
Weak Utilt > Strong Utilt > Shoryuken (Can only be done at low percents otherwise Shoryuken wiffs)
Weak Utilt >Strong Utilt > Uair > Shoryuken (low percents only need to read DI of opponent)

Weak Dtilt > Strong Dtilt (You can do 2-3 weak Dtilts to add more damage)
Weak Dtilt > Strong Dtilt > Shoryuken (Only at low percent AND close range)
Weak Dtilt > Strong Dtilt > Tatsu (works on most percents)
Weak Dtilt > Strong Dtilt > Hadoken (works on most percents)

Nair (Sourspot) > Shoryuken (Make sure to Fast Fall the Nair to get to the ground in time)
Nair (Sourspot) > Weak Utilt > Strong Utilt > Shoryuken (low percents)
Nair (Sourspot) > Weak Utilt > Shoryuken
Nair (Sourspot) > Weak Dtilt > Shoryuken
Nair (sourspot) > Dsmash (Make sure to Fast Fall)

Dthrow > Fair (if not a combo it's a good setup)

If any of these were talked about previously I am sorry. If any of these aren't combos please let me know ill change them or remove them as necessary

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to time nair so you crossup shields? If so, maybe we could nair, land behind, ftilt. I'm in the lab as we speak, so I'll test this stuff.

Edit: yup, the nair thing works. Other possible shield breaks:

Strong jab ftilt

Weak dtilt

Ftilt to multihit fireball at close range puts them in a bad position. If they block the fireball their shield is broken, but so far as I can tell, the fireball covers rollback, jump, and spotdoge. If they figure this out the hard way and start rolling towards you, maybe throw out a dragon punch? Anyways, I'm gonna have to test this option out in real matches. It sounds great.

falling sweetspoted fair (on shield) to ftilt is a thing if you have superb timing. (I only did it once without getting shieldgrabbed)

I'll edit in anything else I come across.
Ok I did some testing.

Dtilt until out of range (depends on your starting range) followed by ftilt works. The enemy gets the opportunity to throw out any move that takes 5 frames or less. As long as they do not have a move with good range that starts this quickly the ftilt will connect. Essentially this limits the entire cast to only having tilts and jabs as their interuption option. Opponents that don't have a tilt with good range will take a hit. Currently tested on Sheik, it works, she can't throw anything out during that 12 frames to hurt Ryu as she's out of range, Ryu steps in and ftilt connects. Her options here are jump, shield or roll away.

My assumption is that this will work for most of the cast, I'm betting on weapon using characters having the range to interrupt it. I main Yoshi myself and I would GUESS that Yoshi's dtilt also has the range to interrupt it. It comes out in 3 frames and has fairly good range, but it might just barely miss.

Utilt>Ftilt also seems viable, but the range it puts opponents away from Ryu isn't as good as dtilt and enemies will likely do their interrupt with nair - There's a LOT of good nairs in the game that I think would connect using this method of shield breaking.

I wonder what else we can pull off... I can't test for quite a while now, but theorycrafting... I think

grab>pummelspam>groundedrelease>ftilt

I've been testing pummel spam with Ryu because I use it with Yoshi. If an enemy wobbles out of grab during the hit of a pummel animation it ALWAYS results in a guaranteed grounded release. With Yoshi I do this and follow it with jabs as a combo against much of the cast. What you have to bear in mind is that the grounded release for every character in the game is a slightly different distance though. The characters I've tested on so far aren't in jab range after the release, but they may be in range for more dtilts, OR you might be able to follow the release with a strong ftilt.

The pummel release needs testing for combo potential. It's the only way that Ryu's combo game might be extended from his grabs. Right now his throws (rightfully) don't give him any combos as they don't give any combos in Street Fighter either.

Last edited:

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Ok I did some testing.

Dtilt until out of range (depends on your starting range) followed by ftilt works. The enemy gets the opportunity to throw out any move that takes 5 frames or less. As long as they do not have a move with good range that starts this quickly the ftilt will connect. Essentially this limits the entire cast to only having tilts and jabs as their interuption option. Opponents that don't have a tilt with good range will take a hit. Currently tested on Sheik, it works, she can't throw anything out during that 12 frames to hurt Ryu as she's out of range, Ryu steps in and ftilt connects. Her options here are jump, shield or roll away.

My assumption is that this will work for most of the cast, I'm betting on weapon using characters having the range to interrupt it. I main Yoshi myself and I would GUESS that Yoshi's dtilt also has the range to interrupt it. It comes out in 3 frames and has fairly good range, but it might just barely miss.

Utilt>Ftilt also seems viable, but the range it puts opponents away from Ryu isn't as good as dtilt and enemies will likely do their interrupt with nair - There's a LOT of good nairs in the game that I think would connect using this method of shield breaking.

I wonder what else we can pull off... I can't test for quite a while now, but theorycrafting... I think

grab>pummelspam>groundedrelease>ftilt

I've been testing pummel spam with Ryu because I use it with Yoshi. If an enemy wobbles out of grab during the hit of a pummel animation it ALWAYS results in a guaranteed grounded release. With Yoshi I do this and follow it with jabs as a combo against much of the cast. What you have to bear in mind is that the grounded release for every character in the game is a slightly different distance though. The characters I've tested on so far aren't in jab range after the release, but they may be in range for more dtilts, OR you might be able to follow the release with a strong ftilt.

The pummel release needs testing for combo potential. It's the only way that Ryu's combo game might be extended from his grabs. Right now his throws (rightfully) don't give him any combos as they don't give any combos in Street Fighter either.

Frame traps I love it. Gonna test this in a bit for setups.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Frame traps I love it. Gonna test this in a bit for setups.
Makes sense that they've built in several for his general gameplay mechanics given how it's a major part of Street Fighter, Ryu seems to play a lot like characters in his own title play.

I'd guess that the first place we SHOULD be looking for methods to play Ryu would be the design decisions within his own game. That's where they'll have been looking and discussing the concepts internally heavily for implementation into Smash.

I would even be willing to suggest we take a look at various fundamental "advance techs" that SF might have to look at what they may have deliberately implemented for Ryu. Not much gets to launch without at least being known about internally, I'm counting on Ryu having at least a couple unique advance techs we're not yet aware of yet, particularly given that there's got to be unintentional side effects for some of his moves that have unique properties. Tatsu refusing to leave a ledge I find interesting and may offer a tech to abuse, Hadoken killing momentum is interesting, and Ryu also appears to have some interesting grip properties as his pivots work quite differently to the rest of the cast.

All of this will afford us further combo opportunities.

Theorycrafting to the extreme and generally off topic for the thread, but I need to express a desire for more people testing out these various thoughts and ideas somewhere. I want Ryu's meta to develop FASTER.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Are any of these being added to the OP. Would be nice to not have to look through all the pages to find things once this starts getting bigger.

As for combos i've just been lazy and been doing many light utilts into a hard one, but from what i'm seeing here is I could be adding a DP at the end. Also has anyone found followups out of dthrow. Seems to me like so many things just almost combo, but I might be slow.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
Are any of these being added to the OP. Would be nice to not have to look through all the pages to find things once this starts getting bigger.

As for combos i've just been lazy and been doing many light utilts into a hard one, but from what i'm seeing here is I could be adding a DP at the end. Also has anyone found followups out of dthrow. Seems to me like so many things just almost combo, but I might be slow.
At lowmid percents you can utilt1 xx first hit of utilt2 xx DP. As for dthrow... things combo mostly with no DI. Usmash and DP connect on some character, but mostly just fair them, or bait dodge and smash.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
https://vine.co/v/eeJ0xXi3iYY has anyone disproven this yet? weak utilt infinite on fox. I think fox could easily smash DI out if not just regular DI but I dont have anyone here to help me test it.
Doesn't work if your opponent SDIs out, tester it today. Its easy to SDI out of utilt 1 combos in general. I wouldn't recommend ever doing more than 2 consecutive utilt1s.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
You can true combo weak f tilt into tatsu at certain low percentages on some characters. Nair into tatsu, hadoken and dp works almost all of the time.

Also you can dash attack into jab and up tilt for a true combo at 0%.

Last edited:

J.Noble

Smash Rookie
Now this combo is interesting. There are holes that are punishable but the opposite is true as well.

FADC1 > Dair(spike) toward mid stage = 0% to around 80% I think.

In earlier percents (32 to 40), you do FADC1 > Dair > hadoken. Wild Jab lock appears!!! (With no tech)

If they tech (no roll) you have a chance to follow up so it can be FADC1 > Dair > DT1>DT1> DP
If they roll toward you FADC1 > Dair > FSmash
If away FADC1 > Dair > dash > grab or dash attack.

I tested it on shulk and it I did it pretty consistently!

Last edited:

Great Apple

Smash Rookie
NNID
LesBalthazars
3DS FC
4639-8958-5534
Now this combo is interesting. There are holes that are punishable but the opposite is true as well.

FADC1 > Dair(spike) toward mid stage = 0% to around 80% I think.

In earlier percents (32 to 40), you do FADC1 > Dair > hadoken. Wild Jab lock appears!!! (With no tech)

If they tech (no roll) you have a chance to follow up so it can be FADC1 > Dair > DT1>DT1> DP
If they roll toward you FADC1 > Dair > FSmash
If away FADC1 > Dair > dash > grab or dash attack.

I tested it on shulk and it I did it pretty consistently!
Just messed around with a bit of this. Assuming you hadoken Jab Lock, you can follow with SH Overhead Fair > USmash/Shoryuken, does roughly 54%-59%. And if positioned close to a quarter from the edge, you can replace the USmash/Shoryuken with a Dair to Spike offstage.

Last edited:

Woker!

Smash Cadet
dair is amazing to start combos...
dair> weak utilit> strong utilt> shoryuken
thats a true combo on most of the character, and if you start that combo with focus attack and do the shoryuken with "A" (ala street fighter) you will do like 50% :O
weak utilt to dair its a true combo too like around 110-130% and can kill at the edge :p

Woker!

Smash Cadet
dair is a very interesting attack, you can hit with dair at high% and can still combo into weak utilt or string utilt, you can even combo into shoryuken, but it doesnt kill since you will hit with the weak part, so if you wanna kill with dair at high % just hit with strong utilt

Guardianangel93

Smash Rookie
I dont know if I can post this here, but at the end of this video are 2 combos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-DoVbvBix0

You need to high jump or else it wont work and for the jablock your opponent must not DI away from you or it wont hit.
You can follow up with weak down tilts after the Nair too and add a Shoryuken.

Sorry if posting links isn´t allowed

tdksparda

Smash Rookie
so just to clarify everyone making notes regarding "combos" it actually counts on the counter in training mode? Cause half the longer ones wont count from what ive tried

Last edited:
Top Bottom