• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy's True Combos

Kulty

Smash Ace
Wow. Is :4feroy: the new :marthmelee:? He seems to be taking his place for top spot in this game. Not sure, but I hope! Gonna try out.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Our boy can Ken combo ?

Can anybody do a character list of were the Ken Combo is actually true Combo ?

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Sorry that was supposed to be "because" not "but". Anyways, what happens after 26%? Is it a follow up/read to get to work?
I don't have anyone to test it with right now, But I would guess they can airdodge. Though if they try to jump out they will still be hit by the spike.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Alright so I want to offer some insight on what to do after a down throw.

Here's the thing. Roy combos from his Fthrow and Dthrow. But unlike Marth, Dthrow sends them in front of Roy. This is bad in a way because think about this: You have to DI Fthrow forward and you have to DI Dthrow forward. It's generally correct DI. That means there are no DI mix-ups once people get used to fighting Roy. Roy is at a disadvantage there. When he grabs people, they will automatically move their control stick away unless they are at Uthrow kill percent (where you DI behind).

So when they DI forward after Dthrow the Utilt either doesn't connect or hits with the sour spot. That is why you should be using Dthrow > Ftilt. Because when they DI forward, they still get hit and you still get the sweet spot. Only against floaty characters at 0% is where Ftilt isn't perfect.

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Rising Fair>Upb is a combo @ low %s. Deals a bunch of dmg.
Also noticed that when you rising fair (no fast fall) and you reach the ground, you lag. So when you rising fair, just buffer jump or up b to cancel it. None of his aerials come out fast enough.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
His uAir combos are nice and anything but that they only work without any spacing at all makes them pretty much garbage.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Back hit of sweet spot Utilt to full hop Uair combos. I did it to Marth at 40% (damage before getting hit)

There are some obvious combos like Nair to Nair, Fair to Fair, Bair to Fair

Last edited:

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Are any of these combos practical in a real match. Was facing a smash boards Lucas player and had trouble pulling off some of these combos. Haha I bring up the issue again, its probably my poor approach options.........

Azuru Furaimu

Smash Rookie
NNID
homura-pls
3DS FC
4613-8677-1621
I find like most here that d throw > u tilt or jab ( some characters can escape from a u tilt ) > shield > grab again works quite well at 0 %. a setup also worth noting that d throw can also set up to up b to kill in the higher percents. I havent tried this on real person yet but yeah generally at 130-140% a d throw to up can kill reliably
the only flaw I see to this could probably be characters like ganon or falcon using their aerial grab or a marth/lucina getting a read and shield breaking immeadiately

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
I find like most here that d throw > u tilt or jab ( some characters can escape from a u tilt ) > shield > grab again works quite well at 0 %. a setup also worth noting that d throw can also set up to up b to kill in the higher percents. I havent tried this on real person yet but yeah generally at 130-140% a d throw to up can kill reliably
the only flaw I see to this could probably be characters like ganon or falcon using their aerial grab or a marth/lucina getting a read and shield breaking immeadiately
Dthrow --> Up B at 120% in my experience doesn't work very well, they can DI away and airdodge in time. But I always landed Jab --> Angled Up B at the same %, maybe they can also DI away and airdodge, but they don't see it coming.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Are any of these combos practical in a real match. Was facing a smash boards Lucas player and had trouble pulling off some of these combos. Haha I bring up the issue again, its probably my poor approach options.........
Probably nothing like the rest of the cast with brain dead down throw to follow ups (Diddy, Shiek, Metaknight, Luigi, Mario, Ike, and the list goes on).

Roy's attacks don't have enough hit stun for a bunch of perfect combos, but he has a bunch of 50/50s since his attacks flow nicely. All about them reads.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
All these can be tested on battlefield with ROB at 35% damage. With the opponent on a platform or in the air, the following true combo:
SH Fair -> double jump Fair. Works for max of 22% damage.
SH Fair -> Up B works a bit better, though, for wider percents and for more damage - 24%.
FH FAir -> Up B (better for later percents)
FH Fair -> Fair with no double jump true combos
SH Fair -> Side B true combos.
RAR FH Bair -> Up B works.
SH Fair -> Double Jump Fair -> Up B also works, but is inadvisable off-stage because you will die. Does about 30% damage.
SH Fair -> Double Jump Nair works.
SH Fair -> Double Jump Uair works.
On Battlefield, if you are on the top platform and ROB is on the middle one, you can Dash off the top platform -> Fair -> dash off the lower platform -> Fair

SH Fair -> Double Jump Dair meteor smash is almost a true combo. It connects together, but the true combo counter does not say it's a true combo. Great follow-up, then!

redblade

Smash Cadet
Landing nair first hit to both up tilt and forward tilt can be true combos at around 100-110%, according to training mode. I can't get forward smash, up smash, or up throw (~175%) to true combo from landing nair first hit, but they're still plausible follow ups.

Kill confirms, anyone?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
For some reason no OP I've looked at has Dthrow -> Jab listed. It seems to work as well as utilt, if not better. Yeah it might not sweetspot, but it has much less start and end lag. You could potentially throw in two jabs into a regrab dthrow into utilt or something stupid.

While it's not a true combo (haven't tested it), I've gotten great results with approaching shff nair (hitting either one or both depending on %) to jab/dtilt depending on how far away I end up. Will have to lab it more, but cpus keep DIing in odd directions. Anyone know what I could set them to in Training? Control?

redblade

Smash Cadet
Landing nair first hit to both up tilt and forward tilt can be true combos at around 100-110%, according to training mode. I can't get forward smash, up smash, or up throw (~175%) to true combo from landing nair first hit, but they're still plausible follow ups.

Kill confirms, anyone?
Backing up my earlier post, have some gfycats, everyone. And with a bonus combo: landing first hit nair into Blazer!

http://gfycat.com/RedWatchfulGerbil
http://gfycat.com/MilkyEvenBuckeyebutterfly
http://gfycat.com/EminentHappyIndianrhinoceros

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Got to contemplating the use of dash attack in true combos, since Roy's is actually pretty darn quick.

D-tilt -> dash attack works, but I can only ever seem to get the sourspot on dash attack. Worth it for 20% though.

I tried Jab -> dash attack, but ended up getting d-smash instead. So thanks to serendipity, I found that jab -> dsmash is a true combo. Deals 22% or 17%, depending on which spot of d-smash you hit with of course.

Jab -> dash attack doesn't seem to work.

KawaiiOtakuLord

Smash Rookie
Found this out before it was mentioned in the thread, but I didn't see no gfycat... so here ya go :D Jab to Blazer in all its glory.. T_T
You do have to be somewhat up close though for that sweetspot (not sure of the exact point where jab hitbox becomes sourspot) but I think that's a given considering ya know.. we're playing as OUR BOY!

http://gfycat.com/FaintRapidAngora

p3ngw1nKing

Smash Cadet
This works from about 25-40% (on Lucario)

falling u-air (sweetspot)
full hop b-air (sweetspot)
up-b

Does about 34% (30 when he's already at 40, as the first hit of up-b will not connect)

You can also jab -> DED at this percent (I've landed all five hits as a true combo, but it doesn't always work)

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
Is d-throw > u-air not a true combo at low percents? I have yet to miss it, although admittedly I haven't messed around with it too much.

HoodsxX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanhouDrops
3DS FC
3067-5933-7964
Dthrow jab is a true combo though at low percents. Don't know about floaties. I'm in the lab now so I'll test that out.

Last edited:

Illuminati13

Smash Rookie
NNID
JulesF13
Sorry if someone already wrote this, but i think if you d-throw in like the 30s range you can bait out an air dodge, sidestep, and hit them with an upsmash (Especially with its multiple hit boxes). It has been helpful in for glory, can't say it's effective in higher level play tho

Illuminati13

Smash Rookie
NNID
JulesF13
Is it at any %? Didn't see it in the OP at all. I'll mess around with it some more, because so far I'm not seeing it being DI-able.
I think on some characters it can be a true combo (Probably heavier characters). I thought it was at first too but people can air dodge right before it :(

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Is it at any %? Didn't see it in the OP at all. I'll mess around with it some more, because so far I'm not seeing it being DI-able.
Quoting myself from last page, as an example,

"On Sheik, no rage, no DI"
"dThrow > uAir, 37% - 121%, up to 139% with weak hit"
so it definitely isn't on lighter characters at low percent.

Illuminati13

Smash Rookie
NNID
JulesF13

"dThrow > uAir, 37% - 121%, up to 139% with weak hit"
so it definitely isn't on lighter characters at low percent.
Is d-throw up-tilt a true combo? Cuz I've missed on a couple of attempts with that

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Is d-throw up-tilt a true combo? Cuz I've missed on a couple of attempts with that

"dThrow > uTilt, 1% - 25%, up to 46% with weak hit"
So it's miss-able on 0% and probably a bit higher with DI.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
SHFF Nair (two hits) on low %s seems to combo into dash grab sometimes, you guys should try it out. I've been doing fthrow -> nair -> regrab -> profit, and it works like a charm. And if they tech the fthrow you can tech-chase them like crazy.

exnecross

Smash Journeyman
I think on some characters it can be a true combo (Probably heavier characters). I thought it was at first too but people can air dodge right before it :(
Oh, I guess I just didn't find anyone who could dodge fast enough then. That's a shame.

Also, f-throw into dancing blade is really awkward.

Last edited:

MonkeyArms

Smash Ace
NNID
MrCheeseburger7
Really, no one has listed down throw nair yet? Its his freaking bread and butter combo, it works at most percents.

freeshooterxigbar2

Smash Apprentice
Just pulled off a 65% true combo. Testing was on Ganondorf on FD from one side to another.

SH FF Nair> SH FF Nair> SH FF Nair> Full Hop Fair> Double Jump Fair

It can probably be Di'd out of but i think it works on most of the bigger characters. Although i think we already know that Nair is a godlike move lol.

Edit: Did more testing and you can extend the combo at the end with blazer to make it a 71% true combo but you die for it. You can also do a switch out the last Fair with blazer and possibly do more damage but i think fair is better since you an follow up after it.

Another combo for 58%:

SH FF Nair> SH FF Nair> Full Hop Fair> FF Uair> Full Hop Uair

Last edited:

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
By the way on most characters the sour hit of uair true combos into up tilt and if your quick up smash.it starts around115% on Mario and it will kill about 130%.and the first hit of nair if you fall to the ground true combos into u-tilt and ko's at around the same percent in till 300% it's awesome

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Does getting an Up B on Jigglypuff and killing her count as a true combo? I mean it was 0 to death...

But in all seriousness, it might just be me, but Roys Fair can combo into another Fair at low percents

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
But in all seriousness, it might just be me, but Roys Fair can combo into another Fair at low percents
Short hop or full hop? Either work, you are correct, but I felt the need to ask.

With that f-air IASA frame thing I was able to get SH f-air -> f-air, n-air, or u-air. It's marvelous.

Top Bottom