• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Roy's Match-Up Chart thread

odinNJ

Smash Lord
IMO not as bad as I thought. Easier to kill than fox, lasers are annoying but not unbeatable. And he's not as fast as fox is. I prefer this mathup to fox immensly. Falco is also super easily gimpable.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Well, I can say that he's not impossible. My friend plays Falco, and he's considerably better than me. All I needed to do though was stay behind and not rush him, counter his b-airs when his shine was shielded (yeah powershielding shines, woo~). Basically, just try and wait for him to make the mistake and it's so easy to take advantage of him when he does.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
And dont chase him in the air if you want to stay alive... The dair comes out so quickly

BEES

Smash Lord
The match up is actually pretty good for jiggs. Like OdinNJ says, the range on actually landing the reverse blazer is really bad, and not that fast start up. Only decent way to land it is doig it out of shield instead of a shield grab, and any good jiggs won't put themselves in a position where you can shield grab them.

Roy can kinda space her out with fair/DED/jab, but his pokes all do much less damage than hers, and she can kill from poking position.
CC->Reverse Blazer is always a threat Puffs have to keep in the back of their mind when they try to approach.

The threat of a Reverse Blazer also means that a missed Rest is a stock loss for them. Even a landed Rest, if you can DI to avoid a star KO, could become a stock trade.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Who has ever fought Roy vs Ness? I play it about once a day and I was wondering what other people think about it. I hold fast that it is 60 40 for ness, Roys options are limited to techchasing and gimping, as ness has faster aerails, combos roy well, gimps him just as well, and can make your life hell with juggles. My only consistent hope in this matchup is to techchase ness utnil around 50%, get him off the edge, and keep him there.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
ways to beat ness: hold down on control stick

but seriously, this matchup is way in our favor. he may be floaty, but ness has crappy approaches. they're pretty much all gimmicky things that don't work much. crouch cancel his dash attack and space out the rest of his **** with your ****. you shouldn't ever get grabbed unless you're way too close. punish the hell out of his recovery. don't be afraid to trade with ness's everything except bair.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I guess I've never really tried crouch canceling ness because his fair sets up for grabs which are hell. Ccing can get you Grabs maybe, but How do you land finishers if he can pop out of the ded past 80?

Also, holding down on the control stick is what other boards say about roy. Lol

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
fortunately for us, roy's cc game is pretty good.

dsmash will probably kill ~120 and fsmash will knock his offstage really early for an easy kill. other than that, ness has short stubby t-rex arms, so just don't get outspaced. watch his movement closely and determine when he can and can't hit you (obvious advice is obvious).

odinNJ

Smash Lord
Thanks, I guess gimping is the strong point here. Btw i watched your old match against eggm, your roy was lookin nice!

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
I'd like to seee an updated match-up thread, especially discussions about Roy's neutral and how he can keep characters from invading his space. (Making him block)

Characters in mind are Fox/Falco/Falcon

I"m convinced the Peach matchup is unwinninable until proven other-wise.

.K1

Smash Apprentice
Id love some opinions on the marth matchup. The spacing game feels pretty much the same but he benefits from tippers and the hitstun on his moves seems to be significantly more than ours. Any combos or setups on him?

Edit: Also, since Roy is one of the few characters that can tech any grounded shine from Fox, doesnt this mean that the matchup should be considerably easier by default? Any time Fox throws out a shine hes inherently putting himself in a tech chase situation where he has to either guess, or have really good reactions. He doesnt get any dumb shine combos on Roy (not that I know of at least)

A Revelation

Smash Cadet
D-throw F-smash works on Marth at decent percents 10-50? Give or take, testing is required.

Not really, Roy's roll isn't that great so sometimes it's really easy to react to. You end up eating more damage than you think. If he misses a tech roll you're out of immediate danger though.

.K1

Smash Apprentice
hmm.....im still going to look into the whole teching shine thing a little bit more. Ill run the matchup vs some good foxes down her and report back.

vZakat

Half Genie
Okay I'm wanting to have more deep discussions about all things Roy and I feel like starting here in the match up thread would be the best place. Also I want to start here because I disagree with most to the match up numbers in the OP and what to give my opinion and reasoning. Someone mentioned in another thread wanting to talk about the sheik match up so I'll start there.

The Sheik/Roy match up is an extremely difficult match for Roy. Sheik can chaingrab roy from 0% all the way up until she can finish him off with an utilt → fair. Her cc game is very devastating to roy. It can easily net her the grab she is looking for or she can cc→ dsmash if you are at a high percent for a quick kill or use any tilt she wants when you are mid percent for a combo leading to fair (which usually means death).

When starting the match, try to pay attention to whether she likes to dash attack more or grab more for her approaches. For sheiks that dash attack more, bait the dash attack by dash dancing just out of her dash attack range or slightly go into it with pivot shield, making sure that you are facing her with your shield. For sheiks that grab more, bait her grab in a similar way or jumping in place and wavelanding back. Her grab range is shorter than her dash attack range so you have a bit more leeway but her grab is faster much more punishing so be careful. Jumping can be useful for baiting out the

After baiting a move from her, approach with dtilt or grab. When you go in for a grab, make sure to push in hard. Sheiks will be expecting grabs so they will be more cautious of this so being more aggressive when the opportunity arises is important. Dtilt is the safer approach but a bit slower.

Baiting an attack out of her shield is pretty important too. When you have her in her shield, pressure with side-b or dtilt. Make sure to space them so that you can't be hit with a nair out of shield or shieldgrabbed. Dash dance side b is very powerful because it keeps you safe as well as gives you enough time to react to any options she has from shield.

Now on to combos. From a grab you will mostly be getting tech chases. Try and get her to the edge with fthrow and dthrow. Putting her into a recovery scenario can help rack up damage if you can force her to up-b onto the stage. It's pretty much a free fsmash. If she DI's the dthrow wrong that is also a free fsmash from about 30% to 80%. At lower percents (less than 30%) you can do up throw->fair. Up throwing onto a platform is good for position as well as setting up for a good techchase grab or even an fsmash. Dtilt can lead to fair or nair. Fair more for positioning since it knocks her forward a bit and nair for damage.

Overall this match up is REALLY bad. I'd give it 90-10 in sheiks favor.

vZakat

Half Genie
I feel like I didn't go into detail anywhere near as much as I wanted too. :/

I'll get better the more I write.

Also double post hype. lol

NIFOFD

Smash Apprentice
I feel that Roy players tend to have an unrealistic view of the Roy/Fox MU in particular. Yes, Roy has the tools to punish Fox, but Fox's approach is far stronger, his combo game more devastating, his movement superior, and his range of options far wider than Roy. At low levels of play, it shouldn't be surprising at all to see Roy's dominate in the MU (or the other way around), but I believe that most people who are of the opinion that Roy goes anywhere close to even have not had experience playing against any top level fox players.

Between his superior approach options and his spammable projectile, Fox can dictate the speed of the match. While Roy can definitely do some serious damage off of a grab (or straight up take a stock), I do not believe that a skilled Fox player would put themselves in such a vulnerable state in the first place (or at least not repeatedly over the course of a game/set).

Roy definitely has tools he can use in this match up, and he may not be as susceptible to shine combos as other characters, but I maintain that Roy is outclassed in this MU and that it is likely in the neighborhood of 25-75. Up to 35-65 if we're being optimistic, but certainly not 40-60.

Any opinions or discussion on this are welcome. If I've made a mistake or you disagree with anything, don't hesitate to reply. My opinion on the matter is subject to change given that I myself lack experience with high level fox players.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Link24b
3DS FC
1418-6839-5991
My ideas since the previous one hasn't updated in years...
Fox: 2.5 fd, 2 anywhere else
Falco: 2.5 fd, 2 anywhere else
Marth: 2.75
Sheik: 1.5
Puff: 2
Peach: 2.5???
Falcon: 3/3.5. Definitely best high tier matchup
Pika: 2.5???
IC: 1.5
Mario bros: 3.5
Doc: 3 (cc dsmash)
Dorf: 3.5/4
Samus: 2.5???
Yoshi: 2.5???
Ylink: 3?
Link: 4?
G&w: 4?
Zelda: 4.5
Bowser: 5(.5?)
Kirby: 5
Pichu: 5
Mewtwo: wtf is this character anyways?
Ness: 4.5
DK: 4.5

I'm probably very wrong and I'm very sure I overrated him in at least 40% of those

Last edited:

LSDX

Wah!
For all you kiddies out there looking for some relevant Roy in the states, enjoy decadence.

Top Bottom