• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
"Can I just say.... Roy is hot, like.... I'm not gay, but I'd kiss him, just as a joke. Just cause we'd be like two friends, just, you know, like friends kiss? But Roy, like, he's a good-looking guy, and I'd play as him, and I'd play with him."
-Alpharad in DLC Review – A Story For Glory #1
Roy's hair top tier for sure

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
"Can I just say.... Roy is hot, like.... I'm not gay, but I'd kiss him, just as a joke. Just cause we'd be like two friends, just, you know, like friends kiss? But Roy, like, he's a good-looking guy, and I'd play as him, and I'd play with him."
Alphadad never lies

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
I just kind of go wild with Marth. He's super fun to rush down and just run over.
I'd have to agree with Lucina being worse, but I still feel like it's even. She doesn't really have any "get off me" moves while in the air that aren't a free landing lag punish, and that's a huge setback.
Also, I hate Lucina's Ftilt so...so much. It's so annoying to approach and get past. I'll have to find a better way of dealing with it than running shield.

I may have said this before, but tipper down tilt into perfect pivot forward ftilt combos at low percent :3

Also PP spacing using ftilt is like the only way this character can handle dealing with Marth. Snuffs him out in the air, he can't punish it [easily] OoS and the step forward of it allows him to out reach many grounded Marth moves.

I still maintain Marth is like Roy's hardest match up (if not, very close to), so if things work against him then every other match up is a cinch.

Also friendly reminder bair is fantastic - tipper bair too.
Lmao, if you look at my old Roy edgeguarding analysis (seriously, go check it out. I notice some of its mistakes now, but it's still good.) you'll see it basically says "bair bair bair bair".
It should be on page 78 or 80, and if not that somewhere around there. There's two parts to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh true, Diddy is a nasty hassle. Isn't it lovely how Roy's jab is an almost strictly worse version of diddy's jab?
At the least, being hit by diddy is being hit by diddy, while being hit by Marth is almost always dealing with tippers.

Went through page 78-81 and couldn't spot said post.

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
Can someone send me a link to the Roy Discord group? I can't find it anywhere.

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
Get behind a character with punishable recoveries on Smashville with Roy and it's GG. That tip of the stage is just perfect for Blazer.

Surprisingly Lylat can KO at 0% if you land the Blazer stage spike, despite having a tiny ledge and no obvious tip. This also seems to make it much more likely to be untechable. Don't run into Aether, you can literally just jump over it and kill Ike everytime. Even if they tech you can followup before they can do anything or just Blazer again.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lil' something from FG that I enjoyed.

Well someone's in denial.

He looks yummy on anything.

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob

The buffers. The fadeaways. Damn.. When you style online with Roy you REALLY style.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

The buffers. The fadeaways. Damn.. When you style online with Roy you REALLY style.
I would have been filthy rich if I receive 100 dollars everytime I maull up those overly turtling, defensive players online with Roy. He's quite adept with that.

Kind of begs me the question that should his true strength lie in pressure games more than "combo menace" as he was first thought to be. I think his strengths kind of lend to that (though again, similar characters can also do same on the higher tier, but again, I really think Roy needs his own niche rather than attempt to simulate more successful characters and keep coming up short according to fans and competitive players)

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
User was warned for this post
I would have been filthy rich if I receive 100 dollars everytime I maull up those overly turtling, defensive players online with Roy. He's quite adept with that.

Kind of begs me the question that should his true strength lie in pressure games more than "combo menace" as he was first thought to be. I think his strengths kind of lend to that (though again, similar characters can also do same on the higher tier, but again, I really think Roy needs his own niche rather than attempt to simulate more successful characters and keep coming up short according to fans and competitive players)
Haha I like playing Roy on For Glory, Lemmy is way too easy.

I feel like most players don't know how to fight Roy, but everybody picks campy characters who are good on FD. Makes it easy to practice dealing with projectiles and items. Also lots of mistakes to punish :p

I'm really starting to play the pressure game more, like Roy actually has no true combos around 0% most characters can hit out of it and his grabs are awful. Once you get a few hits you can start dishing out and trading hits more. His combo game is also a bit funny, he's a rare character in smash 4. Not really any free hits, but can followup with just about anything. I've had too many times combos I've tested extensively in training or easily DIable or opponents dodge through it.

You don't have much time to react, but Roy definitely has the speed and frames to read dodges, techs, and DI like it's nothing and followup with just about anything though. And when you do get a bad airdodge it can be another free combo. I like to go for more safer consistent things rather than trying to rack up as much damage as possible than wait for a hard punish. Weaving in and out with neutral air into downtilt or uptilt if the opponent get's behind you seems to be the best choice.

Roy's so quick, but dash grab is awful, dash attack is slow, and you don't want to jump into shields.. Go too hard for combos and you'll lose to shield grabs everytime. Really need to use that speed and disjoints to corner opponents. His shield pressure on downtilt and jab is incredible which can help force reactions from the opponent.

His ledgeguarding and offstage KOing potential is ridiculous. But you want to be super quick and get behind the opponent or wait for them to grab the ledge. There's quite a few characters that just die to Blazer everytime you manage to get behind their recovery, even if you don't get the KO it's great for grabbing the ledge quickly and ledgetrumping with some added safety.

Roy's Neutral Air is godlike offstage, spike is bit laggy but can combo into and good vertical reach. Flare Blade also amazing offstage for stage spikes or just holding it. Roy himself can't do much about that, dodge down and you can't recover, time anything else wrong and you get blown up. Run off back air is also great for a powerful untechable stagespike. Can also do footstool into back air resets for a free forward smash, or just bait out a dodge and footstool off stage.

I've played against good Roy's before, sometimes they aren't even hitting you and before you know it you're trapped against the ledge fearing for your life. Flare Blade great for intimidation as well.

Edit: He does have a few things that might not be true but are very safe at lower percents:
Jab-> Jab
Jab-> Downtilt
Up Tilt (Reverse sweespot)->Up Tilt
Up Throw->Up Tilt (Might not hit but won't be punished at 0% like Down Throw)
Double Edge Dance.. the directions and timing for true combos on it are highly dependent on matchups. 4th hit down isn't always safe they can end up DIing inside or behind you and it last a while.

Blazer is ridiculous in smash 4. Don't want to throw it out at lower percents, but amazing for getting KOs off reads or bad approaches at high percents. Sourspot Up Air can combo into it at KO percents, Perfect Shield or OoS Blazer is like another counter for Roy, and it has that weird instant hitbox behind you on Reverse Blazer XD You can actually combo off of ledge cancelled Blazer, even into another Blazer. Really dissapointing KO power in the air though.. that's one thing I feel like they really should have buffed.

Characters like Diddy can do similar things, I personally think there's a ton of potential in Roy's specials compared to Marth and Lucina, or many other characters. Learning how to combo into them and using them effectively with his aerials is the key. With perfect timing and aim Blazer can hit through just about anything for a KO at higher percents, Flare Blade is an incredible KO option at higher percents even with no charge, Counter has decent enough frames for the early KO power and can discourage players from going for hard reads.

Another part of his specials is the tech and movement options though. Flare Blade and reverse Flare Blade give another movement option in the air, is quick enough to combo into and has a fantastic hitbox. You just have to know where it hits and release at the right time, I still end up too high when I lightly charge it in the air a lot of times :p

Double Edge Dance though.. That's something I still don't have enough experience with, I know you can cancel certain hits into other moves and combo into Double Edge Dance. I know it's good for racking up damage or KOing with 4th hit Side but I've unintentionally pulled off some interesting combos with it. Cancelling 2nd hit into a counter or fsmash is also a good strategy, that seems to be the one opponents can act out of.

Also, has anyone else noticed double edge dance really doesn't help you recover? You can cancel falling momentum but I feel like by the time you can act again you would have drifted even farther and Blazer travels a considerable distance with a great autosnap. You don't want to leave yourself open, 1st hit DED in the air just makes you a sitting duck. Forward Air on the other hand carries you through the air with less lag and can disrupt edgeguarding attempts.

Like seriously, if you haven't tried it yet spam forward air towards the stage when you get launched far.

Up Smash and Down Smash are also amazing on Roy, when put in Context. You have to think about how his other attacks work, in most situations Roy's up tilt would be better than most upsmashes anyways. The ability to hit anything touching your body while crouching with an invincibile arm above you is pretty amazing. Seriously, if someone lands on a platform on battlefield and your in the right spot it's a free upsmash or grounded blazer if they roll away.

Down Smash destroys backrolls. Outside of this the only thing Roy really has is up tilt. Marths Down Smash is kind of stupid, like I don't think I've ever been hit by the 2nd hit tip even when you roll in it's sourspot. The first hit on downsmash also comes out really quick and hits low which helps against small opponents, like crouching G&W as an alternative KO option near the ledge. Multi-hits on Blazer and Up Smash is also situationally amazing (Ryu Focus Punch, no thanks.) but it also results in the move lasting a while. Up Smash pretty punishable on the ground but will beat Links Down Air.

Blazer isn't actually so bad onstage, you can cancel most of the lag and with that meaty hitbox and falling speed you shouldn't be punished too hard even if you miss. But you shouldn't really miss anyways, punish at point blank or try to catch someone landing on a platform. Or on the ledge. You really should work on landing the sweetspot against the tip of the stage if you play Roy, but even if it's an opponent who tends to tech a lot of them you grab the ledge so fast you can drop off and forward air or flare blade immediately. Characters like Cloud can actually still die even if they do tech it XD

Also we can do this!​

Roy has combos, but it's not free consistent combos and spam like most smash 4 characters. A lot of really flexible 2 or 3 hit combos that deal massive damage, but more frame traps and a lot of trading or blocking hits. Just think about your damage output and KO ranges, in some matchups you probably will take more damage early but it's not the end of the world. Projectile walls with Roy? Lol, just forward air through that garbage.

You don't want to be risky, but you definitely need to be in peoples face weaving in and out of range and cutting off their options. There's where I think Roy really excels compared to other characters, even the ones considered top tier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Did you just quadra post? The rare double post I'd let slide, but rarely under the extent at which is short periods of time between them.

Like, metagame things may get put in this thread (sorry DarkDeity), but I think it's fair to say that anything extensively more than a sentence or two should be opted to their relevant threads.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I've been very inactive here in favor of Discord, I'm on the Roy server. I'm also on the Wario, Cloud, Corrin, Megaman, and Samus servers, so if you're on any of those and want to keep in touch, you can easily find me by typing "MasonEliwood" into the Direct Messages searchbar.

Here's something I've been working on:

If you'd like to discuss these combos and ways to set up bair and dair, I'd prefer it be in the metagame thread, where it's also posted. I just wanted to drop by and talk about where I've been and what I've been working on. :p

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hello Roy mains

I've been on Smashboards for a little bit, wandering around, cause i'm still sort of new.

Thought i would just pop in to say hello to some fellow Roy mains :)

:135:

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Hello Roy players. Reason for me stopping by here is to battle against any (Good) Roy player for match up experience and I'm hoping one of you guys would help me out with that.

:pow:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I still lurk here a little bit.

Anywho, anyone else playing Pokemon Go? I've been playing quiiiite a bit of it recently.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm shocked no has yet recognize me.

But in regards to pokemon go, i haven't been able to play is sadly. I wish i could

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I'm shocked no has yet recognize me.

But in regards to pokemon go, i haven't been able to play is sadly. I wish i could

I recognize you lol. Not sure why you were pretending to be a new person lmao.

Also, Team Valor claims this social thread, in the name of teh ph1r3. :146:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
ahah yeah, i tired to see if i could fool anyone

lol. Tbh, I think you and I are the only ones here, sadly. And you didn't fool me. :p

---

Anywho, I had fun watching the Roy vs Mario online character crew battle yesterday. 10 v 10, Marios had the upper hand most of the event, but Xenos was able to unlock super saiyan mode at the end, knocking out like 7 stocks. Thanks to that and the efforts of the rest of the Roy players, team Roy was able to clutch it out with 2 stocks remaining. Good stuff Marios, great job Roys! Here's the VOD if anyone's interested in watching.

I haven't been posting about online events here for a while, since I didn't really observe much interest from Smashboards folks on it. Might start doing so again.

Troykv

Smash Master
Hello Roy Fans... And... well

I want to share something that I wrote, it's Fire Emblem, was a idea that I had since like three months ago but only recently I have decided give it some form. I invite anyone that know how works the class in Fire Emblem Fates to see my little analisis about how would work the Micaiah's class in Fire Emblem Fates (if is designed as DLC/Amiibo Class of course).

http://thedawnhistorian.blogspot.com/2016/07/gaming-ideas-how-could-be-light.html

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"

~Chomp

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I'm not dead. I've been absent from discord for a while because of reasons irl, etc etc whatever. Long story short, I've been working on a second, more lengthy and more well-written Roy edgeguard guide and it's like...REALLY, REALLY long. So how should I present it on this board? Should I post one character a day as a spoiler or something like that, or...?

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Okay, so I'm not dead. I've been absent from discord for a while because of reasons irl, etc etc whatever. Long story short, I've been working on a second, more lengthy and more well-written Roy edgeguard guide and it's like...REALLY, REALLY long. So how should I present it on this board? Should I post one character a day as a spoiler or something like that, or...?
You shouldn't post it as a single post in this thread, I'd say lol. You could submit it as a guide by going to this section, and selecting "create".

Or, you could submit it to the metagame thread, or try making it it's own thread. Lots of different options.

Last edited:

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Hello guys just coming over to say this, a player named Dexter just beat K9 with our boy (too bad it was off stream ;-;) and also I wanted to say hi because i'm getting Roy and I want to start contributing to his meta so nice to meet you all and I look forward to advancing Roy's meta :D

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hello guys just coming over to say this, a player named Dexter just beat K9 with our boy (too bad it was off stream ;-;) and also I wanted to say hi because i'm getting Roy and I want to start contributing to his meta so nice to meet you all and I look forward to advancing Roy's meta :D
Hey, were you at Xanadu? What's your tag there? I was doing friendlies when Dexter was playing, saw him and K9 doing friendlies on a nearby setup after Zephyr eliminated him lol.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Nope I wish I was, I live not far from there (and super smash con) but I can't go due to the fact that I can't go myself (Too young to drive) or have anyone to take me and I don't even know if they would allow a 3DS as a controller (I only have smash on 3DS but I have used it as a controller on the Wii U). I only heard it on the stream.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Wow, I completely forgot to watch this thread or even post I think, even though I've posted in the Q&A thread and even though I've been working on making Roy a secondary of sorts. Probably more along the lines of my really good pockets like R.O.B., Ganon and Kirby. Currently have him below my Robin (main), Mewtwo (secondary), R.O.B., Ganon, Kirby, Cloud, Mario, MK and Falco although I may very well be better with Roy than those last two.

Been putting a lot of focus on techs like wavebouncing, b-reversing, c-bouncing, dash trotting and may try this new step dash thing, all just for my Roy. Also changing my controller from the GC to the Wii Classic Pro for the extra shoulder button, keeping the ridges and making the likes of sh fair to dj or special easier. Tech isn't everything of course. First got interested in the character because I was playing Rekka no Ken and the CCI was talking about Roy's good points. Learned how good nair and dtilt are, though jab and fair aren't bad either. Slowly learned a few combos on my own and have seen some from videos along with experimenting how moves certain moves work like the tip of DED1 pulling them in while the base pushes them out...which is pain at higher percents.

All of that in mind, I would love Roy to get buffed and my personal number 1 buff atm is gah damn Blazer or whatever up b is called (it's Blazer right? Neutral B is Flare Sword or something iirc). Unsafe on hit at low percents, not the greatest distance and I swear it has less disjoint than Mario's up b despite one being a flaming sword and the other being a fist.

Oh and uh, I'm Krysco...hi. Probably won't see me in the Discord since I don't bother going on it for other characters like M2, Ganon and Kirby. 12 hour shifts make me miss out on a lot and I'm not the type to just jump in the middle of conversations. I also see at least one familiar username from the Robin social so there's that~

Tl;dr I put too much stuff in one post. Hi!

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Wow, I completely forgot to watch this thread or even post I think, even though I've posted in the Q&A thread and even though I've been working on making Roy a secondary of sorts. Probably more along the lines of my really good pockets like R.O.B., Ganon and Kirby. Currently have him below my Robin (main), Mewtwo (secondary), R.O.B., Ganon, Kirby, Cloud, Mario, MK and Falco although I may very well be better with Roy than those last two.

Been putting a lot of focus on techs like wavebouncing, b-reversing, c-bouncing, dash trotting and may try this new step dash thing, all just for my Roy. Also changing my controller from the GC to the Wii Classic Pro for the extra shoulder button, keeping the ridges and making the likes of sh fair to dj or special easier. Tech isn't everything of course. First got interested in the character because I was playing Rekka no Ken and the CCI was talking about Roy's good points. Learned how good nair and dtilt are, though jab and fair aren't bad either. Slowly learned a few combos on my own and have seen some from videos along with experimenting how moves certain moves work like the tip of DED1 pulling them in while the base pushes them out...which is pain at higher percents.

All of that in mind, I would love Roy to get buffed and my personal number 1 buff atm is gah damn Blazer or whatever up b is called (it's Blazer right? Neutral B is Flare Sword or something iirc). Unsafe on hit at low percents, not the greatest distance and I swear it has less disjoint than Mario's up b despite one being a flaming sword and the other being a fist.

Oh and uh, I'm Krysco...hi. Probably won't see me in the Discord since I don't bother going on it for other characters like M2, Ganon and Kirby. 12 hour shifts make me miss out on a lot and I'm not the type to just jump in the middle of conversations. I also see at least one familiar username from the Robin social so there's that~

Tl;dr I put too much stuff in one post. Hi!
Welcome. :) Hope you enjoy your stay here. As is custom here, posting music to greet you lol.

---

On a personal note, I'm happy with how I did at Smash Con. 5th in my pool, winning 4 sets (bustered r1, eliminated by Tremendo Dude). I played a DK (personally struggle with heavies, uuuugh), then a Mewtwo/Marth, Lucas (he tried to ledge camp me game 3, but I had a stock lead so I didn't have to approach. The match ended up going to time), Falcon/Cloud, Bayo, and finally a Shulk. I went solo Roy.

I also met a lot of other Roy mains and players, and learned a lot about the character while I was there, which was definitely a highlight of the event. Also got some souvenirs, which I've linked the picture of them below. Definitely looking forward to Smash Con next year as well lol.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I have one of those Roy phone-strappy styled things, use it as my controller identifier~
That's exactly what I'm doing with mine lol. That and the pixel art Roy are going to be my controller jewelry. My other Roy buttons are going on my lanyard with my perler, and the rest of the buttons and keychains on my bag. Gonna look nerd chic at tournaments lmao. ~

Also, my Let it Burn! shirt came in the mail while I was at Smash Con. <3

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7JGtqQyG8

Even if Ryo didn't win the set, shout out to Abadango for having his Mewtwo getting defeated by who he considers one of the worst characters in the game and having to switch to another character just to gain the upper hand.
I came here to post this, but you beat me to it. I was in the crowd watching this match and it was my personal highlight of Smashcon.

Top Bottom