• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Keep in mind that Nintendo's E3 Schedule also included the Smash Direct and the NWC.

With all of that and this presentation being taken into account, I think they did fine, ignoring leaks.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Good to see the Smash WIki finally put Roy as a semi-clone in the Clone article.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The hype train had crashed for many people this E3. As I stated in all my previous posts, "Replicating E3 2014 is a tough act to follow." The Krystal thread spiralled out of control, and I'm a little nervous about checking in to see my fellow Space Pirates on the Ridley group.
At the very least, a new Metroid game is nice to see.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
The hype train had crashed for many people this E3. As I stated in all my previous posts, "Replicating E3 2014 is a tough act to follow." The Krystal thread spiralled out of control, and I'm a little nervous about checking in to see my fellow Space Pirates on the Ridley group.
At the very least, a new Metroid game is nice to see.
aren't people mad about that?
I've seen like less then 1 minute of gameplay so I have no opinion

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
aren't people mad about that?
I've seen like less then 1 minute of gameplay so I have no opinion
I saw the trailer just now - I admittedly find the graphics cute. It's the Metroid game we need, but not the one we deserve.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
That Metroid game was not a Metroid game. It was a random space shooter with Metroid slapped on the front for sales. Really disappointed with it.

Also with everything else taken into account, this E3 was still garbage. Literally the only new game that was interesting was Mario and Luigi from Nintendo. The "Metroid" game made me want to kill things and everything else was stuff we've seen before or spinoff games that will still retail at premium price because Nintendo. Nintendo are pretty obviously moving all development to the NX and jumping ship from Wii U right now. Considering its first year had basically no content at all, a two-three year life cycle for the Wii U isn't really very good. Struggling to defend them right now considering they just took a **** over Wii U owners.

Not sure why people keep saying Sony's was good? FF7 is great and Horizon looked great. Everything else was either multiplats or meh imo. Literally zero 2015 release dates makes me very concerned for their profits this year. People don't seem to realise that Sony's lineup this holiday season is even worse than Nintendo's but they showed enough 2016 games to hide that. Microsoft were clear winners for me and I'm a man who pretty much despised Xbox since Xbone was first shown so that's a surprise. Backwards compatibility, the indie dev stuff along with Tomb Raider and Recored caught my interest for sure.

Overall, for me, Square won because I love my JRPGs and I have enough reasons to justify picking up a PS4 and potentially an Xbox One now - no PS4 until next year so I can just keep buying retro games/settle into uni this year. Based gaming industry making no games to keep my wallet safe.

Wing Zero

Smash Apprentice
That Metroid game was not a Metroid game. It was a random space shooter with Metroid slapped on the front for sales. Really disappointed with it.

Also with everything else taken into account, this E3 was still garbage. Literally the only new game that was interesting was Mario and Luigi from Nintendo. The "Metroid" game made me want to kill things and everything else was stuff we've seen before or spinoff games that will still retail at premium price because Nintendo. Nintendo are pretty obviously moving all development to the NX and jumping ship from Wii U right now. Considering its first year had basically no content at all, a two-three year life cycle for the Wii U isn't really very good. Struggling to defend them right now considering they just took a **** over Wii U owners.

Not sure why people keep saying Sony's was good? FF7 is great and Horizon looked great. Everything else was either multiplats or meh imo. Literally zero 2015 release dates makes me very concerned for their profits this year. People don't seem to realise that Sony's lineup this holiday season is even worse than Nintendo's but they showed enough 2016 games to hide that. Microsoft were clear winners for me and I'm a man who pretty much despised Xbox since Xbone was first shown so that's a surprise. Backwards compatibility, the indie dev stuff along with Tomb Raider and Recored caught my interest for sure.

Overall, for me, Square won because I love my JRPGs and I have enough reasons to justify picking up a PS4 and potentially an Xbox One now - no PS4 until next year so I can just keep buying retro games/settle into uni this year. Based gaming industry making no games to keep my wallet safe.
i think you're in the wrong thread bruh

also konami won e3 because METAL GEARRR

roy is good too

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't think anyone can truly deny that Sony were the clear winners. Last Guardian, finally. FF7 remake, finally. SHENMUE FREAKING 3, finally! No Man's Sky? Absolutely ridiculous. Almost everything about Sony's was fantastic. Microsoft's was fine, the Minecraft bit was really cool but otherwise it was just kind of okay. The fact that people think that Backward Compatibility is so earth-shattering makes me really sad about the current state of the industry. It really should have been default on the console, and the fact that it's the thing people are making such a huge deal about really says something about the console.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Playstation. I'd rather have an XBone but Sony really hit it out of the park this year.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Has anyone ripped the 3DS CSS icons for the DLC characters? I like to have 'em in case I want to make a new sig or something.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I don't think anyone can truly deny that Sony were the clear winners. Last Guardian, finally. FF7 remake, finally. SHENMUE FREAKING 3, finally! No Man's Sky? Absolutely ridiculous. Almost everything about Sony's was fantastic. Microsoft's was fine, the Minecraft bit was really cool but otherwise it was just kind of okay. The fact that people think that Backward Compatibility is so earth-shattering makes me really sad about the current state of the industry. It really should have been default on the console, and the fact that it's the thing people are making such a huge deal about really says something about the console.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Playstation. I'd rather have an XBone but Sony really hit it out of the park this year.
Hmm, I think I worded this badly. I still thought Sony were good for sure, just not spectacular. All of the games you listed are either games I'm personally not fussed on at all or FF7 which while I'm going to buy day one is still just yet another remake. I'm pretty bad at seeing other people's sides of things though I guess ^^;

Regardless of all this, I have a big lineup of games for 2016 when I'm actually getting a stable income. That's pretty exciting. Just hard to get over this soul crushing disappointment Nintendo have left me with. Blargh, at least there's still Smash =/

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Speaking of which, I guess there was no interesting content that got datamined huh?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Metroid Prime Federation Force is my new favorite indie game

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe this is Nintendo's way of quietly burying the Metroid franchise by making it's fans not like the game.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Maybe this is Nintendo's way of quietly burying the Metroid franchise by making it's fans not like the game.
quietly would be using all its assets for another game like f zero all of a sudden being a part of mario kart
this is like
nintendo - "we're trying something new"
fans - "ok"
nintendo - "with metriod"
fans - "noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....oooooo"

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
The thing I learned from E3 is to never expect anything from it. If you try to get super hype or get all excited with rumors or speculation, then chances are you're going to be sorely disappointed. As it is, E3 is kind of trivial - it builds up a lot of hype for games, but in the end, all we're getting are trailers and small gameplay demos, and at the end of the day we get our meat and potatoes once we have our hands on the game.

In this case, people were pretty disappointed with nintendo's showcase. I expected nothing from this E3, and I was pleasantly surprised when they announced Star Fox Zero and gave us a new trailer for Fire Emblem Fates. It's just a matter of perspective.

Smoople

Smash Rookie
NNID
Smoople
3DS FC
2062-9335-7664
The thing I learned from E3 is to never expect anything from it. If you try to get super hype or get all excited with rumors or speculation, then chances are you're going to be sorely disappointed. As it is, E3 is kind of trivial - it builds up a lot of hype for games, but in the end, all we're getting are trailers and small gameplay demos, and at the end of the day we get our meat and potatoes once we have our hands on the game.

In this case, people were pretty disappointed with nintendo's showcase. I expected nothing from this E3, and I was pleasantly surprised when they announced Star Fox Zero and gave us a new trailer for Fire Emblem Fates. It's just a matter of perspective.
I agree completely. You shouldn't be upset about not getting things you weren't promised in the fiirst place.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Interesting analysis as to why Roy's not a clone:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Guy... lets summarize the E3.
This time, the E3-nintendo event was split into 3.
The "mini" update a week before, the Smash event just before, and the digital event.
IF you'd have combine all three, and added Zelda to the bunch, and maybe updated about the smash polls... it would have been just as great as 2014's Digital Event.

But it was really a bad decition to split those extreme manpower, a wasted potential in my eyes.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Gonna stick around because I've always been a big fan of Marth and I really like how Roy plays in this game. I'm also a big fan of Fire Emblem if that matters. It's nice to meet you all. :D

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Also jumping in on the social fun. Was gonna main Lucina, but I think Roy both has more potential and he's more enjoyable to play. Hopefully I'll be seeing a lot of you guys! (:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Also jumping in on the social fun. Was gonna main Lucina, but I think Roy both has more potential and he's more enjoyable to play. Hopefully I'll be seeing a lot of you guys! (:
Roy looks like he has MASS HYPE potential. He definitely has the speed Brawl/Melee Marth has just with a bit less range. Seriously considering hard maining him but it is sort of hard to do so when I have played so little of marth/lucina and stuck to the other more aggressive characters like Shiek and Falcon. Top players like Zero and M2K seem to think Roy is Top Tier Material.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Roy looks like he has MASS HYPE potential. He definitely has the speed Brawl/Melee Marth has just with a bit less range. Seriously considering hard maining him but it is sort of hard to do so when I have played so little of marth/lucina and stuck to the other more aggressive characters like Shiek and Falcon. Top players like Zero and M2K seem to think Roy is Top Tier Material.
Roy IS aggressive. I mean, exactly because his range is so little, you want people up close.
And he seems to be strong AND fast, his B has nerly no laag, his up b has superarmor at startup... hell, I love him sooo much.
Even if he wasgarbage tier, he makes insane amount of fun.

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Moving away from my E3 derailment, it seems like Roy is the most popular of the three now - probably because he's the easiest to play and does da damagez plus memes. I wouldn't really trust ZeRo/M2K saying "Lol top tier" cuz they called Brawler top 3 as soon as they started playing him too. I doubt he beats any of Rosa, Pikachu, Luigi or Sheik - not many do bu when you decisively lose to all of those it comes to how much you wreck the lower tiers and Roy is somewhat inconsistent with that. He loses hard to any character who can keep him away like Sonic, Mega Man or even Toon Link.

I don't think he's bad at all. Probably like top 15, potentially top 10. Just I think of "top tier" as the top four or five characters which is almost definitely not the case. On the bright side, the Roy boards are waaay more active than the Fox boards so maybe we'll actually work on those hard matchups instead of having like two posts a day like "yeah uh we definitely lose to yoshi" ¬_¬

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Moving away from my E3 derailment, it seems like Roy is the most popular of the three now - probably because he's the easiest to play and does da damagez plus memes. I wouldn't really trust ZeRo/M2K saying "Lol top tier" cuz they called Brawler top 3 as soon as they started playing him too. I doubt he beats any of Rosa, Pikachu, Luigi or Sheik - not many do bu when you decisively lose to all of those it comes to how much you wreck the lower tiers and Roy is somewhat inconsistent with that. He loses hard to any character who can keep him away like Sonic, Mega Man or even Toon Link.

I don't think he's bad at all. Probably like top 15, potentially top 10. Just I think of "top tier" as the top four or five characters which is almost definitely not the case. On the bright side, the Roy boards are waaay more active than the Fox boards so maybe we'll actually work on those hard matchups instead of having like two posts a day like "yeah uh we definitely lose to yoshi" ¬_¬
Well, brawler is insanely silly, and is pretty good to be fair...
And Toptier is obviously an exarragetion, he has many tools, but I don't think he has enough to go toptier. Hightier would be very possible tho.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
idk honestly.

I mean it's early still, but Roy gets more reward on hit across the board than nearly any other char in the game... in the early game, he has really good combos and followups, then in the late game... I mean fsmash kills lighter chars starting around 70. That's a fairly sizable advantage to have when that move is so quick... basically one correct read and they can die.
Usmash & blazer start killing around/before 100 (and are led into by grabs or jabs), fair/bair/nair all start killing shortly after that (or on any successful offstage edgeguard well before that)

He may not have the ridiculous grab combo game of somebody like Luigi, or the impenetrable neutral of Sheik, but I really think Roy has a niche here that nobody fills quite as well. He has a fairly safe poking/walling game, and probably the best killing kit in the game.

Also early, but I don't see him having terrible matchups against Sheik, Pika, Sonic, MegaMan, etc.

In fact, as a MegaMan main, I'm planning to use Roy specifically for the Sheik, Sonic, CF matchups at least.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I honestly still think Roy is going to be mid-high or low-high tier. Yes, some characters can keep him away, but one you get one hit playing as Roy, it's able to combo really well or kill early. Our boy is definately top 15-20 in the game. If not, he's at least the best FE character. :p

Mega-Xander

Smash Rookie
NNID
avsimone13
I have only played against computers using Roy, but I'm really liking him! One of the major downfalls for him though is his middling vertical recovery. The other one is lack of a projectile, but with high mobility and the ability to play rushdown or defensive (haven't really tried him defensive yet, probably a little worse than Marth in that respect because of the switched sweetspot) he's a really versatile character.

Roy is probably the best FE character, but who do you guys think is the second best FE character?

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
I have only played against computers using Roy, but I'm really liking him! One of the major downfalls for him though is his middling vertical recovery. The other one is lack of a projectile, but with high mobility and the ability to play rushdown or defensive (haven't really tried him defensive yet, probably a little worse than Marth in that respect because of the switched sweetspot) he's a really versatile character.

Roy is probably the best FE character, but who do you guys think is the second best FE character?
I'd say either Ike or Robin.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings

Roy
Marth
Ike
Robin
Lucina

Though Ike just received some significant buffs this patch so he might top Marth

Last edited:

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Yes, this is the ufficial Roy social thread. Can you believe it? We're no longer stuck in generic character discussion limbo!

By the way, the more I play with Roy more I love his playstyle.

Top Bottom