• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Yeah. It's the social thread for Roy.

I haven't seen members like @ Croph Croph and @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 here though.

EDIT: NVM I Just saw Croph's post lol.
alright i was just wondering. So who still plays Melee and PM Roy now that smash 4 Roy is out? I still play PM Roy but Melee Roy i save for just my friends. Im definitely not good enough to beat like my friends fox and falco.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Yes, this is the ufficial Roy social thread. Can you believe it? We're no longer stuck in generic character discussion limbo!

By the way, the more I play with Roy more I love his playstyle.
Agreed. He's very combo oriented it seems

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Pretty crazy how many people are taking Roy now. In my circle, 3/5 of my acquaintances have considered or already have switched to him as a Main. But what really suprises me is that some of them never played Marth or Lucina, yet say he's fun as hell. :0 I secondary Marth and i barely have used him. (not sure why..)

It'll interesting to see who sticks around after a half Month xD

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pretty crazy how many people are taking Roy now. In my circle, 3/5 of my acquaintances have considered or already have switched to him as a Main. But what really suprises me is that some of them never played Marth or Lucina, yet say he's fun as hell. :0 I secondary Marth and i barely have used him. (not sure why..)

Just hopin' they have what it takes to keep Roy under 'em when dealing with his weaknesses or bad MUs.

I've seen less people playin' Roy already in FG. Seems like they realized he's not "pick-to-win".

Still, he's very strong with his playstyle, which is sweet - comboing is hella good, even if Sm4sh ain't Melee. Also makes Marth feel refreshing too.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
One thing that is helping me is the fact that I'm pretty decent at the ditto. lol

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
One thing that is helping me is the fact that I'm pretty decent at the ditto. lol
Roy-dittos aren't too fun for me since people seem to boast themselves about using him "better" than I and whatnot. Kinda annoying since I played him a lot in PM, but had to adjust into him again in Sm4sh.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Just hopin' they have what it takes to keep Roy under 'em when dealing with his weaknesses or bad MUs.

I've seen less people playin' Roy already in FG. Seems like they realized he's not "pick-to-win".

Still, he's very strong with his playstyle, which is sweet - comboing is hella good, even if Sm4sh ain't Melee. Also makes Marth feel refreshing too.
Yeah definitely seems to have the same "flaws" as marth, but because he actually has combos, kill combos. He'll fare way better than Marth in neutral currently.
He's no pick-to-win , but he definitely is far more straightforward than the other FE guys.

But yeah i getcha ;3 that buttery transition from Roy to Marth is nice.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'm actually undefeated with Roy on Wii U FG.

I think my record now is something like 18-0 now.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yeah definitely seems to have the same "flaws" as marth, but because he actually has combos, kill combos. He'll fare way better than Marth in neutral currently.
He's no pick-to-win , but he definitely is far more straightforward than the other FE guys.

But yeah i getcha ;3 that buttery transition from Roy to Marth is nice.
Captain Falcon-like straightforward, if we can be more accurate?

But yeah - Marth getting some buffs is very nice to hear too, so it's not like I might have to leave him behind much.

I have only played against computers using Roy, but I'm really liking him! One of the major downfalls for him though is his middling vertical recovery. The other one is lack of a projectile, but with high mobility and the ability to play rushdown or defensive (haven't really tried him defensive yet, probably a little worse than Marth in that respect because of the switched sweetspot) he's a really versatile character.

Roy is probably the best FE character, but who do you guys think is the second best FE character?
The other radical headband guy

so is this the new Roy thread? since the one @ Croph Croph made got locked since roy came out. Is everyone from there here? Like @ Ura Ura @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 @Adeptmune and sorry if i forget the others.
YOOOOOOOO I was actually thinking of hopping in here this morning with this phresh pheraen oc:

alright i was just wondering. So who still plays Melee and PM Roy now that smash 4 Roy is out? I still play PM Roy but Melee Roy i save for just my friends. Im definitely not good enough to beat like my friends fox and falco.
Sm4sh Roy is way too satisfying. I had to port over and correct and adapt on a lot of his moveset and just him in sm4sh's environment, so I may use my secondary (Captain Falcon) a lot more in Melee and upgrade him to main status and 20GX technology. Not sure in PM, I want to try out more of the cast and see what I like. I like Ness, Ike, and Snake a lot, so I may pick one of them up and try them as a PM main for a while. Once I have a pretty solid grasp on sm4sh Roy I may juggle him in all games again.

I haven't seen members like @ Croph Croph and @ dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 here though.

Boop. I popped up in the beginning, but I haven't had as much time as I wanted to be on the Roy boards, sadly. :( having a lot of posts popping up just trying to reply normally to the thread is one of the bigger parts of it, I'm more or less waiting on the DLC bandwagon to die down before I can really feel like there's not way too much to dig into on so many of the threads, this is one of the most calm ones so far.

It's the DLC cycle. Everyone wants to main Mewtwo, or Roy/Ryu/Lucas, then come a month later, the number of their mains will die down. It's to be expected in a game with 50+ characters, especially considering that the DLC characters have no custom moves for events that host them. I'll still be using vanilla Roy in customs, it gives me more time to learn how to fight the worst customs rather than worry about applications of my own customs which is honestly what's most important.

Glad to see the Return of Holy Maiden's Big Bum-Buns. :laugh:

Roy dittos have always been the only ditto I don't automatically lose at. The only way I've been knocked out of bracket by another Roy in Melee or PM is if they switch character and somehow bring it back from 1-0 or 2-0.

Roy-dittos aren't too fun for me since people seem to boast themselves about using him "better" than I and whatnot. Kinda annoying since I played him a lot in PM, but had to adjust into him again in Sm4sh.
I can help beat the more smug Roys and with the ditto in general. If they try to be smug then they'll probably be trying flashy stuff and forming really bad habits trying to show off, or they'll be too aggressive trying to make you crack. From there it's easy to get in their heads and make them nervous (sometimes too much to approach properly) if you watch their habits and punish properly with patience. If they go into a state where they're hesitant to approach then it's a lot easier to put more pressure on them and dance around them with your movement, and become the main aggressor no matter how comfy you are with it. I can't really give tips other than that, most of my thought on the game comes down to trying to read people as much as I can. I'm booty at other Smash advice.

I'm actually undefeated with Roy on Wii U FG.

I think my record now is something like 18-0 now.
I need to see how I fare on Smashladder. FG is just something I do when I have internet access but no computer to hit up better players.

This thread's faster than Roy's dash speed, I originally had like one or two replies written.

Last edited:

When your Roy has to square up against your homie's Squirtle in PM.

Saw this awesome Miiverse post from the FB group: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkLKRf6rw

So like, is Roy the lovechild of Captain Falcon and Sol Badguy or something? Cuz it sure feels like it lmao.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAADVHkLUv0tsw

--

The DLC characters are now legal at CEO, which is a week away.

Glad that this means more sales and publicity for 'em. If only they were at EVO in a month, I don't see how it could be hosted without at least Ryu himself making an appearance. I'm excited for one of the biggest Smash tournaments in history coming, either way.

I love how Kappa has more votes than no.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828

alright i was just wondering. So who still plays Melee and PM Roy now that smash 4 Roy is out? I still play PM Roy but Melee Roy i save for just my friends. Im definitely not good enough to beat like my friends fox and falco. super edit- LEL i didnt even post the original since i went and played some SF4. I feel derpy. Also Roy is Super fun in smash 4 but i hate the fact that people jump to him if they never like him in other games. Its just a pet peeve i have.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
alright i was just wondering. So who still plays Melee and PM Roy now that smash 4 Roy is out? I still play PM Roy but Melee Roy i save for just my friends. Im definitely not good enough to beat like my friends fox and falco. super edit- LEL i didnt even post the original since i went and played some SF4. I feel derpy. Also Roy is Super fun in smash 4 but i hate the fact that people jump to him if they never like him in other games. Its just a pet peeve i have.
I'm one of these people since I wanted to play a Fire Emblem character and he was the most enjoyable. Haven't played him in any previous games as a main (He felt eh in Melee and I didn't take PM seriously although he was one of my three most used characters). Sorry. :c

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
What's up, ya'll? I'm looking to add roy to my main rotation of characters.

I played a ton of him in melee, so I was pretty bummed when he didnt make the cut for brawl. Now our boy's back, and better than ever. I dont think he'll be top tier, but definitely a solid character.

Troykv

Smash Master
So...What do you think?

Roy>>Robin>>Marth>Lucina

I don't sure where put Ike.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
IMO it goes like this.

Roy > Ike > Marth > Lucina > a pile of dog poo > cancer > robin

(I really dont like robin)

Ike is beast. I'd say Roy is up there, Ike's in the upper-middle, and everyone else is pretty lower-middle/low to me but they have their niches and good matchups via player, stage, or character. Lucina is "OLD NEWS" as indicated by a friend's tag yesterday which I don't mind. I hope they all get better frame data and hitstun besides Roy, I think maybe even he'd need slightly better frame data in the future.

I invested months of research and practice into Marth and Ike, with Robin on the side, with experiencing Roy now after researching and developing him for several years in other games along with studying sm4sh closely since the E3 demo and invitational, and Japanese 3DS release with Shockwave. I'm also pretty close to a Colorado PR player who mains Lucina, so I consider myself knowledgable enough on the characters. There's likely a lot I don't know, though.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
There's no way Roy is upper-mid tier. That's were Mewtwo is. Roy should at least be high tier.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
IMO: Roy > Ike > Robin > Marth > Lucina
There's no way Roy is upper-mid tier. That's were Mewtwo is. Roy should at least be high tier.
Most people consider Mewtwo mid-low or low tier. As a Mewtwo main myself, I agree. I'd say Roy is fine in the upper-mid tier.

Last edited:
I consider Roy highly viable and at least a high-tier character, that's my impressions from him in the past few days against the cast and a lot of players. Ike's the one I consider upper-mid or mid, that's how I felt since 3DS release and 1.0.4 buffs.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wha? From what i've seen, Mewtwo has done great in a lot of MU's.

Roy I just don't see being upper-mid. With the way he plays, he's at least high tier even if he isn't top tier.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
Wha? From what i've seen, Mewtwo has done great in a lot of MU's.

Roy I just don't see being upper-mid. With the way he plays, he's at least high tier even if he isn't top tier.
Mewtwo suffers greatly against highly aggressive or campy play. He has pretty bad matchups against most of the top and high tiers. He has a big hurtbox and is also incredibly easy to kill. He is quite slow. His floatiness renders him unable to land safely in a lot of situations. His hitboxes are a bit janky. He has a great deal of flaws, and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than I haven't listed.

I dunno, I personally don't see Roy in the high tier. Most of the high tier are pretty safe, and Roy just really isn't IMO.

Last edited:
Mewtwo suffers greatly against highly aggressive or campy play. He has pretty bad matchups against most of the top and high tiers. He has a big hurtbox and is also incredibly easy to kill. He is quite slow. His floatiness renders him unable to land safely in a lot of situations. His hitboxes are a bit janky. He has a great deal of flaws, and I'm pretty sure there's a lot more than I haven't listed.

I dunno, I personally don't see Roy in the high tier. Most of the high tier are pretty safe, and Roy just really isn't IMO.
Roy has an unbelievable amount of poking tools, safe juggle tools and ways to cover landings, beastly ground game, and lots of safe aggression, along with his fall speed being a godsend with the sheer number of vertical kill moves and juggle tools the higher ups have. Though Roy koopa's not quite near his league :troll:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't Robin be higher tier as well, given his projectile game?
Robin is really slow and fails to deal with a rushdown style, like most of the high tiers have. I used to be a Robin main, so I think I know about the character a little bit. He/she just can't deal with characters like Diddy, ZSS, and Sheik very well. Some people underestimate Robin when they put him/her in the lowest of low tiers because he/she has a lot of useful and interesting tools, but most of them really only have a few uses. I would put the Robins in low-mid/high-low just because they can deal with most of the low tiers but struggle with the higher ones.

Fire Emblem Tier List:
Patch 1.0.8:

Radical Headband Roy (High) > Radical Headband Ike (Upper-mid) > three plebians without radical headbands (not noteworthy due to lack of radical headbands)

Ryu and Snake are somewhere in there above the plebians.

Koopaling tier list:

Radical Headband Roy = @FalKoopa > Bowser Jr. > Koopalings > Roy koopa (gimmicky low-tier that relies on clown car gimmicks more than the other koopas)

Troykv

Smash Master
Well... Maybe I need to see more opinions, but all the things that I see before Roy's returns were: Robin>>>Everyone else (Because Marth is uber nerfed, and Lucina is worst Marth).

So

Roy>>>Other FE Characters

Marth>>>Lucina

With Robin and Ike I don't sure now xD

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
So, how would you describe Roy's play style in Smash 4?
After many hours of deliberation and pondering, I could only say, "He's like Captain Falcon and Sheik had a baby and gave him a sword."

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
Well... Maybe I need to see more opinions, but all the things that I see before Roy's returns were: Robin>>>Everyone else (Because Marth is uber nerfed, and Lucina is worst Marth).

So Roy>>>Other FE Characters Marth>>>Lucina With Robin and Ike I don't sure now xD
Marth got uber nerfed? You do know that he got buffed this patch, right? If you mean from Brawl to Smash 4, he didn't get uber nerfed because he still has his great game like his off-stage game and he actually has a good neutral game thanks to jab and Dancing Blade, as well as a safer u-tilt and a good f-tilt now.

Roy definitely isn't objectively the strongest Fire Emblem character, he objectively has different strengths and weaknesses than Marth and he's been released so early that we can't tell his place in this meta.

Last edited:

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
Moving away from my E3 derailment, it seems like Roy is the most popular of the three now - probably because he's the easiest to play and does da damagez plus memes. I wouldn't really trust ZeRo/M2K saying "Lol top tier" cuz they called Brawler top 3 as soon as they started playing him too. I doubt he beats any of Rosa, Pikachu, Luigi or Sheik - not many do bu when you decisively lose to all of those it comes to how much you wreck the lower tiers and Roy is somewhat inconsistent with that. He loses hard to any character who can keep him away like Sonic, Mega Man or even Toon Link.

I don't think he's bad at all. Probably like top 15, potentially top 10. Just I think of "top tier" as the top four or five characters which is almost definitely not the case. On the bright side, the Roy boards are waaay more active than the Fox boards so maybe we'll actually work on those hard matchups instead of having like two posts a day like "yeah uh we definitely lose to yoshi" ¬_¬
Well to be fair, in a game with almost 60 characters in it, top 15 is pretty close to "top tier" especially considering the character literally came out days ago and has no developed meta game behind him. He seems like he would be a God under what I like to call the best Asian players mastered in League of Legends "calculated aggression." He seems like if he can get in, he can do work and take a stock with 3-4 good reads (think like Captain Falcon) but of course, is risky lacking a plethora of safe ways to approach. Also, don't sleep on brawler. Another one of those people I thought was bad at first glance, but picking him up recently, see that he too is top 10-15 easily. Less popular characters have weaker meta games so give our boy a chance to catch up to the SM4SH meta top characters :).

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
^
Marth got uber nerfed? You do know that he got buffed this patch, right? If you mean from Brawl to Smash 4, he didn't get uber nerfed because he still has his great game like his off-stage game and he actually has a good neutral game thanks to jab and Dancing Blade, as well as a safer u-tilt and a good f-tilt now.

Roy definitely isn't objectively the strongest Fire Emblem character, he objectively has different strengths and weaknesses than Marth and he's been released so early that we can't tell his place in this meta.
A jab buff wont do much as put Him "on Roy's toes"per say, but a buff is a buff sure. The thing is, coming from brawl, Marths aerials/offstage game could and should be so much better--Tons better ,and safe. He got himself a good Teir placement due to it. But i agree i think his On-stage moves can suffice in good hands, but his overall ability in the air is severely reduced from 'safe' 'Reliable ' ...

To 'reads' 'Taking risks' Since Marth doesn't really have a clear way 'in' to your opponents circle of space. He's to be played more reaction based and spacies than ever before.

Basically what im saying, if my character goes from ''go in, wreck some **** up! And offensively retreat when needed'' to ''Ima stay here and shuffle around see if my opponent will approach me and my now combo-less self"
Thats a pretty drastic nerf.

------
but as a Marth player it is up to me to overcome the shortcomings and flaws --and Win. I understand that. :)

Last edited:

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
@ MOI-ARI MOI-ARI Marth definitely has combos, especially with the n-air and u-tilt buff; I recommend check out the Marth combo guides, jab to DB has been a really good combo ever since DB got buffed. His off-stage game is actually quite well because his range is hard to compete with and with such a fast recovery like Dolphin Slash ledge trumping and f-air spacing even prior to a ledge trump Marth does quite well. Marth at the very least survives in the neutral and Marth does quite well aerial-wise. He definitely got nerfed compared to Melee/Brawl, and I can even agree that there are ways he can be better without being remotely ridiculous; However, I can also say without a doubt that he is doing well enough to not be considered to have recieved a major nerf like it makes him an objectively worse character than a lot of the cast tbh. So Roy definitively being superior to the FE cast is meh, and I'm ignoring Ike because I don't have much personal experience playing as him but I know he's a great character too.

Also it's only been 2 days since Roy got released, there is no way you can say that Marth isn't on "Roy's toes" because we don't really have the time to say how good Roy truly is. Roy has a strong combo game and he is strong, but it's so soon and I'm already starting to notice how Roy is really close range and his off-stage game is definitely not the best. We need more time to see how good Roy actually is, and whether his apparent strengths are worth his apparent weaknesses. (Which currently it is, but it's been so early and the hype needs to calm down)

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
@ MOI-ARI MOI-ARI Marth definitely has combos, especially with the n-air and u-tilt buff; I recommend check out the Marth combo guides, jab to DB has been a really good combo ever since DB got buffed. His off-stage game is actually quite well because his range is hard to compete with and with such a fast recovery like Dolphin Slash ledge trumping and f-air spacing even prior to a ledge trump Marth does quite well. Marth at the very least survives in the neutral and Marth does quite well aerial-wise. He definitely is doing well enough to not be a major nerf.

Also it's only been 2 days since Roy got released, there is no way you can say that Marth isn't on "Roy's toes" because we don't really have the time to say how good Roy truly is. Roy has a strong combo game and he is strong, but it's so soon and I'm already starting to notice how Roy is really close range and his off-stage game is definitely not the best. We need more time to see how good Roy actually is, and whether his apparent strengths are worth his apparent weaknesses. (Which currently it is, but it's been so early and the hype needs to calm down)
oh course but im comparing Marth and Roy,sir. No need for checking out marthboards haha ^-^"
Marth has some combos sure, but standing next to Roy who has better setups combos and ones to lead to KO and way more executable priority, with around the same speed and range. The fact that he's only been out for a few days and already seems outclasses Marth is what worrys me. I guess that was my true point lol. That and Marth is simply "not as good anymore" and with Roy in the mix now, the flaws and gaps seem amplified.I guess. :/

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Well to be fair, in a game with almost 60 characters in it, top 15 is pretty close to "top tier" especially considering the character literally came out days ago and has no developed meta game behind him. He seems like he would be a God under what I like to call the best Asian players mastered in League of Legends "calculated aggression." He seems like if he can get in, he can do work and take a stock with 3-4 good reads (think like Captain Falcon) but of course, is risky lacking a plethora of safe ways to approach. Also, don't sleep on brawler. Another one of those people I thought was bad at first glance, but picking him up recently, see that he too is top 10-15 easily. Less popular characters have weaker meta games so give our boy a chance to catch up to the SM4SH meta top characters :).
Oh, Brawler is amazing too. I just disagree that the top 25% is "top tier". Top five are top tier, below that is high tier IMO. Really good comparison with LoL though, I think we'll see a lot of Roy players just go mindlessly aggro and get destroyed for it at their first tournament showings, a lot like Zed/Vaynes in Solo Queue ;P

Top Bottom