• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Marth's offstage game is a lot more beastly than Roy's, his recovery is more favorable here, and he can more safely space his aerials on shield, as well as having Shield Breaker in his kit and better spacing tools overall.

Roy's ground game is so much better, and he has fewer issues racking up damage and taking stocks. That combined with his falling speed and weight being much better in a game where vertical attacks rule, and where differences in whether stocks stay or not between different fall speeds and weights seems more drastic than Roy's previous iterations ultimately makes Roy better here in my eyes.

I believe Roy is a fair amount better after my 8 months of experience with Marth in this game (and watching and studying videos of the Invitational and Best Buy demos plus VGBootCamp's channel one year ago) combined with several years of Roy in other games.

That being said, don't sleep on Marth. Earlier I faced one on Smashladder that gave me a fair (get it) bit of trouble even if I won 2-0. Kinda glad that it didn't go to game 3 because he was trying way too hard with his movement which got him punished quite a bit and I got annoyed playing it.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I believe Roy is a fair amount better after my 8 months of experience with Marth in this game (and watching and studying videos of the Invitational and Best Buy demos plus VGBootCamp's channel one year ago) combined with several years of Roy in other games....
Well said friend. That's precisely how I've felt as of late. I just couldn't quite find the words I supposexD

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Is it sad/embarrassing for others that I defeated 19 people online using only Roy'd neutral b fully charged?

Tacticulbacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tacticulbacon
All this talk about who's better than who when it's obvious Lucina is top tier hands down.

Lucina: OP child unit in Awakening, challenges fates, travels back in time to save her father's sorry a**, best waifu

Roy: Literally the worst lord in Fire Emblem

Marth: A feminine clone of Lucina

Roy: 0
Marth: 0
Lucina: 1
:seuss:

Last edited:

Illya-tan

Smash Rookie
ZeRo stated he believes Roy is a top tier character but we will see in the future i guess

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The worst/best part of it is that they knew what I was doing, and tried to attacked me from the front or miss time counters.
Was I one of those people? lol.

I recall fighting an FG Roy that kept on using the neutral B for the most part though he only beat me by a thread.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
That's a relief lol.

Also, Roy is ranked No. 2 on the EventHubs tier list. This is truly glorious.

EDIT: Wait NVM, he's 9th now.
event hubs tier list
let me decipher the meaning
eventhubs cringe list :dazwa:
nailed it

+1 for choice in music

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
My friends just get hit by upsmash 90% of the match. It's glorious (and they are pretty good too)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
event hubs tier list
nailed it

+1 for choice in music
I just thought it was a pretty cool sight to see lol. Especially in the Melee tier list where he's always really low in the list. I agree about EH being rather untrustworthy for the most part though.

I've been going through a lot of FE6 tracks lately. I'm thinking of having another run of the game since I didn't get the proper ending. I want to finish my run in Sacred Stones before I do that though.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I've been going through a lot of FE6 tracks lately. I'm thinking of having another run of the game since I didn't get the proper ending. I want to finish my run in Sacred Stones before I do that though.
I love FE music, Yuka Tsujiyoko is my favorite composer when it comes to video games. Unfortunately the only notable things she has worked on are paper mario 1 & 2 and the fire emblem series.
I didn't like awakening much, but I would be an idiot to bash its sound track
+1 for playing my favorite FE
My friends just get hit by upsmash 90% of the match. It's glorious (and they are pretty good too)
I really don't find myself using Usmash too much. It's really ugly when you get punished for it

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I love FE music, Yuka Tsujiyoko is my favorite composer when it comes to video games. Unfortunately the only notable things she has worked on are paper mario 1 & 2 and the fire emblem series.
I didn't like awakening much, but I would be an idiot to bash its sound track
+1 for playing my favorite FE

I really don't find myself using Usmash too much. It's really ugly when you get punished for it
They keep putting themselves in the perfect spot. It's so sexy

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That's a relief lol.

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/

EDIT: Wait NVM, he's 9th now. Now this song is playing in my head.

I never trust Eventhubs. They always have Pittoo/Dark Pit higher than Pit, and once all Fire Emblem characters lower than Charizard.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've revised my mains, cuz I'm feeling differently about my chracaters, and I've got like 10 mains :p But Roy is still on top for now :)

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I've revised my mains, cuz I'm feeling differently about my chracaters, and I've got like 10 mains :p But Roy is still on top for now :)
don't worry still not as many mains as @ Macchiato Macchiato has had in the past two months

Last edited:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I really love how Roy has kept his Melee style instead of being a Marth clone. I'll be working him into my rotation of mains.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I read those tier list discussions...
Guys, who cares? In tournament level, you can win with whatever you want, if you play good enough.

Just play what you like, and play it with passion. Every character has a bad MU, which makes things harder, but not impossible.
Tierlists are just for people who want to have it easy. Play what YOU want, not what everyone else wants.
Except, of course, everyone else plays what you like.

I feel like the Roy we got in Smash 4 was blessed with strength considering he only had a 40% growth in that stat.
SoS too stronk with that 18 might.

That and everyone in Smash is secretly a dragon of some sort.

That's a relief lol.

http://www.eventhubs.com/tiers/ssb4/

EDIT: Wait NVM, he's 9th now. Now this song is playing in my head.

>>>>>Eventscrubs

Don't trust them for lists, they handle them pretty horribly for the most part and aren't accurate for either character placements or matchups.

I think they make their tiers difficult to navigate because they're aware of just how bad they are, but they want to troll the **** out of you, me, and themselves.

event hubs tier list
nailed it

+1 for choice in music
^ Indeed on music

It's been my favorite Roy move since Melee and it kills so well here. I use it to cover tech options, rolls, spotdodges, oncoming aerials, grounded approaches, literally everything now.

I read those tier list discussions...
Guys, who cares? In tournament level, you can win with whatever you want, if you play good enough.

Just play what you like, and play it with passion. Every character has a bad MU, which makes things harder, but not impossible.
Tierlists are just for people who want to have it easy. Play what YOU want, not what everyone else wants.
Except, of course, everyone else plays what you like.
I went a bit ranty, though I don't mean anything mean/bad by it. When my gears start rolling on any subject, I can really type.

It's not that every character has one specific MU that's bad, it's that worse characters have more terrible or unfun ones. There has to be a best and worst character no matter what the game, Smash is far from perfectly balanced.

That said, low-tier characters still have some pretty nice matchups with characters who are up there, just less good ones or they're slightly worse at their good ones than others, but they're definitely worth developing to find their purposes and best matchups and technology before they get left behind for too long. Every character in the game has great main/secondary potential based on their use, there's just some with less potential than others but they fill niches. I'd argue that tier lists are far from just people who want it easy, a lot of people genuinely like top tiers for their characters or playstyles as much as we do for Fire Emblem characters, and a lot of people who pick a viable character for the sake of it train incredibly hard. It is right in some cases that people want an easy way out, I have thought of it in some cases here since there was no character I was truly passionate about in sm4sh until Roy's DLC. Nothing wrong with harmless discussion, if someone truly wants to prove a character's placement wrong or their strengths over someone else then they have the power to do so, it's just up to them.

I can understand the perspective of people who don't play a wide variety of people or who don't play competitively past For Glory or a few buddies. My perspective in the past was that all characters were equal a few years ago, and that tiers were stupid. I just played a select few people and had some experience doing Brawl/PM friendlies on forums. That perspective changed when I played a wider variety of people and looked at real tournaments where I started to truly notice the differences. It's generally a bad idea to try and win a tournament with a less viable character, but I'll go into the benefits and exceptions below.

That said, I did main Roy in Melee for several years once I developed that perspective, a switch from Marth originally, only deciding to upgrade my previous friendlies-only Falcon now that Roy's in 4, and I want a break from Melee/PM Roy since I like him so much more here, where I plan to pick him back up in Melee once I develop Falcon more to 20GX standards. I dislike how PM handled Roy so I'm not sure there. I have always believed Roy has a lot of potential for certain MU's, a higher placement than where he's been up to mid-tier or upper-mid potential, and has tools to beat his bad ones similar to Yoshi/Luigi/Pikachu, ones I may cover with Falcon in the future, and I've caused some nice upsets by putting work into Roy. Mid/low tier heroes are always nice to have around and meet. I want more of the ones who see potential in their characters and have the drive to win tournaments, because more players need that in general. Those are some of the only cases where I don't think picking a less viable character for tournament play is bad. One of my biggest pet peeves is seeing those people who play a character because they're "fun" or "a challenge" and deny tiers but never get anywhere and use their character's tier as an excuse every time they get knocked outta bracket.

Play who you want, but be aware that not everyone will just stop caring or discussing these things from the sole fact that any character can win with enough skill, and that this kind of discussion is still healthy. Saying "who cares?" and automatically plugging your ears and treating it as taboo when tier discussion comes up is limiting you from looking into and testing this sort of speculation over time to become a better player no matter who you use.

I got Tolarian Community College mileage out of this.

Last edited:

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Lol, a little while ago while playing FG I used the combo DThrow/USpecial 3 time in a row. He was Ganon and kept trying to challenge on the way down with his DAir. I just shielded and grabbed again :4feroy:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
So is Dthrow > Jab very repeatable up to like 40% or can an opponent escape out of it?

I like the pseudo chain grab effect it gives.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
All this talk about who's better than who when it's obvious Lucina is top tier hands down.

Lucina: OP child unit in Awakening, challenges fates, travels back in time to save her father's sorry a**, best waifu

Palutena's a better waifu than Lucina, and Roy's better than her to(not as a waifu).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Actually in the past few months my mains were :4peach::4zelda::4zss::4feroy: and that was it actually
Mine are
:4feroy::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4sheik::4link::4zss::4rob::4lucas::4pikachu::4pit:

and :4lucina: as a secondary. lol. oh and mii brawler.

I'm starting to like Shulk too tho. :p
I think I'll add them to my sig

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Mine are
:4feroy::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4sheik::4link::4zss::4rob::4lucas::4pikachu::4pit:

and :4lucina: as a secondary. lol. oh and mii brawler.

I'm starting to like Shulk too tho. :p
I think I'll add them to my sig
Might need to reassess your definition of "Main"

My mains are :4link: :4feroy:

Secondaries: :4ryu::4sheik:

Wish I could actually get good with: :4mewtwo::4lucario:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Might need to reassess your definition of "Main"
Well they're the main ones I use, and who I use more depends on the situation and my mood, so.. to me they're all my mains :)
How do you determine your main?

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt

Realistically if every character in the game was going off actual strength then RD Ike would win 100% like he never gets hit is a tank, crushes everything he hits in one blow and shoots laser beams out of his sword. And he's faster than light. I wanna see that in Smash smh Sakurai

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Well they're the main ones I use, and who I use more depends on the situation and my mood, so.. to me they're all my mains :)
How do you determine your main?
The one you use the most and are most skilled with. My main is Bowser and I have like 20 secondaries.

Top Bottom