• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Just found out about Roy today, I've been wanting him in since I played him in PM!( I don't get to play him much tho, my friend hates him :urg:)
Well you should play him so he gets better at Roy. He's just gimping himself by not wanting to play against a character

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Interesting thing I found; not sure if it was noted, but Roy has the Reverse Up B starting hitbox like Mac's and both Marios.

This is where you can turn the move but there's a hitbox on the first frame, so it still hits in front of you before you turn around. Could be applied for defense, etc.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Interesting thing I found; not sure if it was noted, but Roy has the Reverse Up B starting hitbox like Mac's and both Marios.

This is where you can turn the move but there's a hitbox on the first frame, so it still hits in front of you before you turn around. Could be applied for defense, etc.
Just like Melee. It's got good vertical pop-up, doesn't kill Jiggs anymore, and kinda leaves you in that awful Blazer lag. I think actually hitting the opponent with full Blazer will benefit more since you'll net 16% and maybe a kill depending on the enemy's %.
Someone said you could cancel Blazer landing lag on platforms. hmmmmmmmmM can you?
Haven't noticed anything like that but I can test it out tomorrow if nobody does before me.

TheRealGimpt

Smash Rookie
I am so happy this guy is back. I enjoyed him in Melee even though I didn't start playing it til about a year ago, and I didn't get to play often and I didn't get to play this game often. But I finally had to pick it up (I guess Nintendo knew it was my birthday today with Ryu and Roy!) to play as the golden boy Roy. Hopefully going to start getting a lot better now that I actually have a copy.
Edit: It's kinda funny though. I've seen so many people who say they hate Roy because lolmarthclone and now they love him, which I can only assume is because he's a strong character.

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
first hit of aerial blazer is kinda silly (not as silly as melee, but the same principles are there), b reversed it can almost kill the jiggs
Edit: I wonder if rage would effect it
Edit 2: yep, rage does effect it and all hits except the last one have this huge base knockback
It might be cancelling the ending lag on the edge of the platform
ya that wont be easy to do (i'll see if I can get a ledge cancel), still landing on platforms after a b reverse could still be useful
Edit: I did it right, it still doesn't cancel animation, so no doesn't cancel lag

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632

The only thing I though of when I found this out was maybe it's a bit of a better option if you want to play it safe for whatever reason. If you miss it doing it normally it'd be easier to punish. However, if it did hit you'd wish you just hit them with the whole of the attack. Kinda double edged

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm actually wanting to pick up Roy since movement with him feels sooooo good in contrast to the rest of the FE cast (also the same reason I main Mario). I'd like to stick around and lab, and hopefully watch videos whenever they pop up so I can have someone as a good secondary. :)

SagaciousCejai

Smash Rookie
I just got the new Roy a little bit ago and I do have to say that he feels completely devistating.
Like i tried his dair a bit and i feel like I buried that NPC 6 feet under with him.
All I can say is that RedRoy is back on my side, and I can't be happier.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Roy's amazing. Rekindled my faith in the character.

Definitely going to experiment with him. He'll never match up to Lucina as far as I'm concerned, but he could be a very fun sub.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Will do some testing tomorrow. Projectile testing. If we have any moves that say no to projectiles I will figure them out,

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Incidentally, Roy is exactly what I always imagined Chrom to be, right down to the flames.

Chrom as a Roy alt would make me happy.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, I bought Roy not really sure about it .. and it turns out I really really like him, maybe even enough for him to be my main!
I'm surprised by how he is, because he feels much more like a full-on fighter than Marth.

He's got the speed I like, good fox-trot, and fast falller. he's strong and interesting with the sweet spots, tilts can kill!

There's one thing I don't like, and it's that his fair out of short-hop can't hit small characters like Pikachu. (it can sometimes happen, but it's really rare.) It's somewhat a big deeal for me, but I'm still thinking he's my new main. That's how much the rest of what he can do suits me :)

TheRealGimpt

Smash Rookie
Well, I bought Roy not really sure about it .. and it turns out I really really like him, maybe even enough for him to be my main!
I'm surprised by how he is, because he feels much more like a full-on fighter than Marth.

He's got the speed I like, good fox-trot, and fast falller. he's strong and interesting with the sweet spots, tilts can kill!

There's one thing I don't like, and it's that his fair out of short-hop can't hit small characters like Pikachu. (it can sometimes happen, but it's really rare.) It's somewhat a big deeal for me, but I'm still thinking he's my new main. That's how much the rest of what he can do suits me :)
Does u-air still hit fine?

Troykv

Smash Master
Incidentally, Roy is exactly what I always imagined Chrom to be, right down to the flames.

Be a character between Marth and Ike?

But actually Roy makes that more cool in my opinion, the character itself has more charisma :3

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

You mean as a middle ground between Marth and Ike?
I agree. I like Roy as this character better though because he represents the GBA games.
Not as good as Lyn but you know. :ohwell:

HiguraShiki

Smash Rookie
Man my first fights with Roy felt great. Honestly it feels like this character was made for me, super happy.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Roy is so fun to play as, like in previous games. I'd really like to see some pros pick him up so his meta could advance fast.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Is Roy's weight still the same as it was in Melee? Because he definitely looks like he's bulked up since then.

Last edited:

SwineofWar

Smash Rookie
Funny seeing other Ganondorf mains claiming that Roy just clicked for thestright on the pickup. I felt the same way. No idea why, there's practically no similarities in the characters aside from a pretty terrible recovery.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Funny seeing other Ganondorf mains claiming that Roy just clicked for thestright on the pickup. I felt the same way. No idea why, there's practically no similarities in the characters aside from a pretty terrible recovery.
- Terrible recovery but UpB can stage spike
- Incredibly deadly close-range attacks
- single hit jab
- heavy and low jumps
- incredibly powerful NeutralB
- red hair
- extremely awesome

Those are some similarities I noticed. :)

XL_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-5463-6168
Roy is a really solid character but he has a lot of issues that will likely keep him out of the high tiers. I spent hours labbing Roy with two extremely good players (Mega Man and Ness mains) in my region and here are our first impressions.

The Good
+ Nair is amazing, it's what Marth's Nair should have been
+ Blazer super armor (invuln?) makes Roy awkward to approach off stage.
+ Decent combo potential, downthrow and jab are great string starters
+ Dash into upsmash for the nastiest tech chases
+ Uptilt kills

The Bad:
+ Recovery is almost non-existent
+ Downsmash takes forever to kill, and is pretty slow

Either way he's definitely going into my pocket as a solid secondary that deals with a lot of the weak matchups that Robin has.

SwineofWar

Smash Rookie
- Terrible recovery but UpB can stage spike
- Incredibly deadly close-range attacks
- single hit jab
- heavy and low jumps
- incredibly powerful NeutralB
- red hair
- extremely awesome

Those are some similarities I noticed. :)
Pfft, looks like I'm an idiot. XD

While yeah, Ganon mains may be use to the limitations of Roy's recovery and single hit jab, his strengths are something new entirely. I almost forgot up tilts existed for a while. XD

Heavy characters at the start of the stock can get caught by d-throw>up tilt>up tilt>up smash.

Just thought I'd put it out there, though I don't know whether it's a combo, or just a string a few people got caught up in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Roy is a really solid character but he has a lot of issues that will likely keep him out of the high tiers. I spent hours labbing Roy with two extremely good players (Mega Man and Ness mains) in my region and here are our first impressions.

The Good
+ Nair is amazing, it's what Marth's Nair should have been
+ Blazer super armor (invuln?) makes Roy awkward to approach off stage.
+ Decent combo potential, downthrow and jab are great string starters
+ Dash into upsmash for the nastiest tech chases
+ Uptilt kills

The Bad:
+ Recovery is almost non-existent
+ Downsmash takes forever to kill, and is pretty slow

Either way he's definitely going into my pocket as a solid secondary that deals with a lot of the weak matchups that Robin has.
I don't think those are big enough weaknesses to make him lower then high tier. And his down smash comes out on fame 6 and kills at 125%, and that's just the first swing. Are you sure you're not talking about Marth there? Furthermore, whatever his down smash lacks is more then made up with from that monstrous forward smash. Also Blazer only has armor on the grounded version.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Confession: I drew this in the Support Roy community in Miiverse. I'm so very, very sorry.

But I'm happy for you guys for getting your main back. In fact, I'll probably end up picking up the DLC at some point when I have the money to do so.

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Same for me, Roy just feels like an aggressive Ganondorf for me & i love it.

Top Bottom