• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Besides Dtilt no longer popping up, Roy pretty much maintained all the qualities I loved about him in his prior iterations, plus some welcomed additions.

Why is this character so inherently fun?

He also has the best sprite code. Sorry, Haunter.

:4feroy:

:093:

Last edited:

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
greetings fellow wetnoodlers

this subforum will be my new home on this site.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Aaah~ his follow ups and potential tech chases. I think I'm in love.

I take it a lot of people are enjoying Roy? I recently got back home but I had to add more funds in my eShop account for all the DLC I wanted to get. But since I got back late Sunday most stores were closed, except for the pharmacy (thank goodness they sell eShop cards there, though I had to run around looking for one lol). I'm too pooped to do anything now, but I'll definitely check out Ryu & Lucas tomorrow (only briefly tried them out). The new DLC stages are pretty awesome too.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Well, now my FE-Family is complete... I play Marth, my brother plays Roy (has been that way since melee), and my sister now plays Lucina X)

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Was Roy's voice re-recorded? I haven't played Melee in a while but he sounds slightly different to me (but same voice actor/seiyuu).

Arc_Thunder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ichuchu
Roy feels so fun, he's definitely my second favourite character next to Robin.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Have you guys noticed how when Roy lands from a jump, he briefly stands just like Marth before bringing his sword up?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hey guys. I've been a long time fan of Roy so to see him in this game and to see him looking and feeling so great means I will end up as a :4metaknight:/:4feroy: user. As I toy with things here and lab it up with Roy, I will post significant findings. Looking forward to working with all of the other Roy fans. First impressions tell me, he's quite viable. Blazer is everything I wanted it to be in Melee. So stoked about this character!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Awwww yeah. I just broke my record on Allstars and Classic mode (only 3ds for now, WiiU will come later).
Roy feels so incredible good. He almost feels like fun-marth, but with more fire, and less recovery.
That's what brought me into this game. And now I have the feeling back.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It's fitting, I think, that Roy feels like the most "Melee" character in this game.

Also, he's my new 2ndary or possibly main. So hello everyone.

I kind of think top 10 is a lock here.... his speed, zoning, and kill power are nearly unmatched. And his defense (Roy zone), edgeguarding, and recovery have been greatly buffed from Melee. incredible.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Ye gods

I'm imagining a top-tier Fire Emblem character

Terrifying

Yet utterly amazing

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Enjoying Roy sooo much. Feels a lot like Fox in that you just abuse speed in the neural and once you get in, you can pressure sooo hard. If they airdodge throws, you can land and punish their airdodge before they even get out of the endlag. Crazy. Running into some trouble recovering due to super easy edgeguards before I Up B but in general this character is amazing. Not sure how much I'll play him yet in tourney though but I have a con coming up this weekend which is a good a place as any to try a new character.

Also, this social already has over four times as many posts as the Fox social. ;-;

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Also, this social already has over four times as many posts as the Fox social. ;-;
I just say... Zelda, Robin and Shulk socials are a bit... different.
And happy to see you enjoying roy. I will definitely picking him up as 3rd main.

Last edited:

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
Down throw jab regrab is true on a lot of characters. Jab goes into grab a lot and is frame 5, seems good against SHFF approaches?

How are you guys handling the neutral? I just dash around like an idiot until there's an opening to grab or respond to pressure well. Feels downright oppressive against characters like Mega Man.

EDIT: Zelda social legitimately scares me.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I wonder who here will actually stick with him after a few months. Remember mewtwo? "Omg I'll definitely main Mewtwo" -Everyone

Now? "I main Mewtwo" -like 7 people

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Down throw jab regrab is true on a lot of characters. Jab goes into grab a lot and is frame 5, seems good against SHFF approaches?

How are you guys handling the neutral? I just dash around like an idiot until there's an opening to grab or respond to pressure well. Feels downright oppressive against characters like Mega Man.

EDIT: Zelda social legitimately scares me.
Bruh, The Zelda social is awesome.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I wonder who here will actually stick with him after a few months. Remember mewtwo? "Omg I'll definitely main Mewtwo" -Everyone

Now? "I main Mewtwo" -like 7 people
Hey hey... I liked mewtu, and can play him a little, but dropped him after playing allstars, because I noticed his flaws and playstyle.
Roy?
It's FREAKING ROY!

It is the FIRST Character, that I truly feel suits my agressive playstlye, I adore everything except his recovery.
Jab to grab/d-throw to Up+B/u-tilt is amazing. And I truly missed the fun I had way back then.

I will give someone a free dlc character for 3ds&WiiU if I dare to drop him at the end of the month.
MARK MY WORDS!

Last edited:

Xeynid

Smash Cadet
I said I was going to main mewtwo, but then I realized that being good at the projectile game is WAY too difficult for me (I'm also kinda bad.)

As for the Ganondorf similarity thing: the guys on Shofu's livestream were saying he's similar in the sense that if you space incorrectly or let him punish you, you're going to take a TON of damage.

If Roy gets to punish you with an F-Smash, you're a fifth of the way to dying already.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
You know what I tried out first with him? I wanted to hear the German announcer of Roy and Roy:

:4roy: Roy...
:4feroy: ROY !!!

It is also hilarious how he says Ryu
:4ryu: Reeeee-U (not kidding)

Obviously the English announcer is better, but I had to laugh at those two.
DLC was worth it the moment I saw all the music titles pop up and having a Roy Mirror Match between me and my bro...
:4roy:X:4feroy:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I return.

My projectile test dictates we can clank out anything except max influence Aura Sphere with Fsmash. Yes even Mewtwo's Full Charge Shadow Ball. And Samus's Max Charge Shot.

And we can take any projectile at any percent using our super armor from Blazer. Even 999%.

Also our counter comes out quite quick so we can reliably negate any projectile with that as well.

Also a cool thing! At percentages above 100% if you confirm a Jab you can connect with Blazer if you DI it to the right. Will kill at sub 120%.

Not a true combo but will hit if they whiff a airdodge or don't jump fast enough.

I need frame data on his Jab 1. We might have frame advantage on hit.

Last edited:

Xeynid

Smash Cadet
I tried to make Jab->Blazer work against Diddy Kong, but it wasn't happening. Is it character specific, or am I just doing something wrong?

(Jab, then immediately blazer in the direction they went, while you didn't move after the jab is what I did.)

EDIT: Nevermind, it works.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I tried to make Jab->Blazer work against Diddy Kong, but it wasn't happening. Is it character specific, or am I just doing something wrong?

(Jab, the immediately blazer in the direction they went, while you didn't move after the jab is what I did.)
You'll have to follow their movement and DI your attack correctly. Usually it on'y works at high percents and you want to input UpB and then hold right immediately after. You should nick them at least.

I will be testing this later on all characters. It worked against Lucario.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
SH nair, empty SH, and dtilt pokes, mixed with a few jabs and flashier options like pivot ftilt create an incredibly effective wall...

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Found out the problem with Jab > Blazer on Diddy.

At around 140% knockback is strong enough from Jab to knock him just out of Blazer's range.

That said it works when he is at 130% and if you pull it off Diddy is probably dead.

Although you can probably just Ftilt him at that point.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Reposting this for you guys.

Does anyone know if the apple dodging in the reveal trailer is a reference to anything?
Wow I remember seeing that curry pic on the Melee site, but I never thought the new one would be a reference until you posted both. As for the apple thing, I'm not sure. Can't think of anything specific atm. Maybe Sakurai wants to emphasize that Roy doesn't like anything expect for curry. Maybe since the apple has skin on it, Roy's like, "lolnope not gonna eat that!" Maybe Roy doesn't like dogs and especially doesn't want to eat food that's been touched by one. You can come up with a lot of theories lol.

Perhaps we can Tweet Sakurai the question? Worth a shot (inb4 the apple dodging has no reference/meaning, just there for the lulz).

Skarfelt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Skarfelt
I had this theory that a social thread's activity is inversely proportional to a character's relative strength in the game. Fox social? No content. Zelda social? Top tier.

Anyone watching E3? Copious amounts of alcohol may be required to make it through.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Some pictures of Roy from Nintendo Dream 2002, April edition:
(You guys may already know this)

The bottom image is an illustration for the GBA game. Notice how the clothes changed drastically drastically before the game was officially went on sale. This happens sometimes in Nintendo games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As cool as Roy's new voice is, I can't say I won't miss his old one. Maybe just Melee nostalgia, but still...

Eureka

Smash Ace
I wasn't looking forward to Roy that much, but recently I've been loving him. Here's why, I had been a Marth main since I briefly played Melee, but his Smash 4 incarnation just didn't feel like it was Marth. His iconic moves, fair, dair, d-tilt, and f-smash, we're all nerfed and thus Marth's amazing pressure game just evaporated. The worst example is his down air, which not only has a much lamer animation, but has an arbitrary restriction on the sweat spot that none of his other moves have. Marth's overall character was sacrificed in the name of "balance". Roy on the other hand, plays exactly like he feels like he should. Marth was a swordsman who fought with finesse and grace who relied upon spacing and intelligent use of moves to create a situation where he was fully at the advantage. Roy on the other hand doesn't fight with the form and grace that Marth does, but has his own distinct style. While he still needs to properly space his moves not to get rekt, he creates his advantageous situation not with range and low lag, but by overwhelming his opponents with his speed and power once he either creates or is given an opening. Roy's style and personality shines through in all of his attacks and in his movement, especially with the new animations reinforcing that idea, it feels right to play him effectively. Effective Marth play, on the other hand, plays like "run away a whole lot and hope they don't have a projectile" and it honestly just feels wrong.

Top Bottom