• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
The event cap was 265 people lol. But, they have all the games listed (Smash 4, Melee, Brawl, PM, and 64), so I think that's why it filled up so fast lol. Smash 4 had an individual limit of 128 people.
That explains it, Xanadu isn't exactly the biggest of venues tbh, or at least doesn't look it

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
So I was playing around with dash attack. As you might already be familiar with, dash attack has a generous sweetspot, making it pretty difficult to sourspot with if you're just trying to hit with the tip of the sword.
Looking purely at the visual animation of the sword during dash attack, it appears the sourspot is actually almost a complete disjoint separate from the sword.
The sourspot extends past the tip of the sword and if you slow the game down there are times where it looks like you completely miss but it hits with the sourspot anyways.

Wonder if Roy's hitboxes were ever posted, I need to go check that out and see if any other moves share the same property.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I don't know if you read the comics but ...... nah I'll let you find out for yourself

O and it mean reverse aerial rush(RaR) alright guys this thread seems really chill I'm going to go take a shower
I'm starting to read them now so that I can compare what happens in the comics to the movies and see just how much better the movie is done.

Lol that joke

:135:

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I'm starting to read them now so that I can compare what happens in the comics to the movies and see just how much better the movie is done.

Lol that joke

Lol must of the time the comic is done better as I already see flaws there just some things the movie can't do

If you want to read it and have fun check out a youtuber named comicstorian the way he reads It is always interesting

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Lol must of the time the comic is done better as I already see flaws there just some things the movie can't do

If you want to read it and have fun check out a youtuber named comicstorian the way he reads It is always interesting
Yeah well the movie can exactly be on same scale as the comics since, you know, all the franchises are all over the place. Honestly from what I've heard of the comics and what i have seen of the movie, i reckon the movie will be better by a lot form many reason (one of the being Tony)

I might check him out. I'll keep a note of it

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Yeah well the movie can exactly be on same scale as the comics since, you know, all the franchises are all over the place. Honestly from what I've heard of the comics and what i have seen of the movie, i reckon the movie will be better by a lot form many reason (one of the being Tony)

I might check him out. I'll keep a note of it

I honestly still don't think the movie will be better as there's a bunch of things that happend in the comic that they can't do in the movie that have alot of impact

If you do watch him tell me what you think of him

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I honestly still don't think the movie will be better as there's a bunch of things that happend in the comic that they can't do in the movie that have alot of impact

If you do watch him tell me what you think of him
You mean like Spider-man? Yeah, that is very true, though you can't really blame Marvel since all there franchise are either not established or all over the place. I still reckon the movie as it's self will be very great.

Okay :)

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
You mean like Spider-man? Yeah, that is very true, though you can't really blame Marvel since all there franchise are either not established or all over the place. I still reckon the movie as it's self will be very great.

Okay :)

O I kinda meant that but I still have no doubt it will be a great movie just that it can't be greater than the original

:)

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Well I guess that's true but really it showed his true colors lol he

SPOILER

Why would he almost kill spiderman just to win for that stupid reason
just gonna point out for upcoming visitors (cause i don't mind being spoiled here) But there are ways to use spoilers on Smashboards. i kinda read it before i saw the "spoiler" you posted :o it's at "insert" up in the post (you can edit it into a spoiler like that :p)

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
just gonna point out for upcoming visitors (cause i don't mind being spoiled here) But there are ways to use spoilers on Smashboards. i kinda read it before i saw the "spoiler" you posted :o it's at "insert" up in the post (you can edit it into a spoiler like that :p)
Oops I forgot about that mybad

JCav

Smash Lord
Hey guys, the Arcadian that I've been practicing for a few weeks is finally tomorrow! Here's the link for the stream, I'll definitely try to get a few sets on there for sure. I'm pumped to show everyone what Roy can do!

https://www.twitch.tv/GooshiGaming

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Guess what I'm drawing?

It's a WIP, but I'm getting there lol.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I was pinteresting today :D Star Wars appears on my pinterest, so I saw this and thought of you The Merc The Merc lol (though, you aren't using the deadpool avi anymore rip).

Also, sharing some of the fun fanart I found. :D

Serew

Smash Apprentice
Just played in a small online custom stage tourney, won not dropping a set :p (it wasn't anything huge though, but still fun)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I was pinteresting today :D Star Wars appears on my pinterest, so I saw this and thought of you The Merc The Merc lol (though, you aren't using the deadpool avi anymore rip).

Also, sharing some of the fun fanart I found. :D

Haha, yeah sorry, I'm just getting into the Civil War spirit and decided to dress for the occasion. But yeah, I've seen that picture before and it is pretty funny XD

Also, I love that second frank picture. So dramatic. Though Marth's reaction in that comic XD

In both brackets, I won, then lost, then won, then lost, going 2-2.

The vape tower was 200 degrees and crowded in small rooms with 4 total setups, I don't want to go back unless it's an add-on to my primary focus like this time where it was an afterthought tacked on.
Having to take so long to get through bracket and not being able to play friendlies until Loser's Finals when people were starting to pack up was part of the meh factor.
I couldn't stop laughing the whole weekend about how the place was called VAPERS AND GAMERS. I named it "Vapers and Gamers Tower" in my GPS, and it would pronounce vapers and gamers correctly, but it'd pronounce tower as TOUER.
Maybe I'll try and hook her up with Roui ;)
It's so funny watching people randomly vape, too, I don't know why.
There was no stream like promised, which was disappointing since my ultimate goal at these events is to get on stream as much as possible for different reasons.

THEN, at the other place, stream cut out at the first stock of the set when I went to look for it today, so I don't know if my set can be salvaged, which is really frustrating.
I met my goal of getting on stream, but the things I wanted to be on stream for might not happen.
I had nerves kicking in, it was a 2-1 loss, and I'm self-conscious about my weight since I'm still in the middle of losing it, so it's not a big deal if the set's lost. Next time.
Flatiron had a massive environment, nice atmosphere, proper cooling, free pizza (crazy amount, I got so many slices after everyone got their first plate) and beverages, dozens of setups, lots of time for friendlies, and no players who smelled like bootycheeks, so it's easily a priority for next time.
All of my losses can be attributed to me getting autocombo'd hard by dumb utilts or other things (Two Marios, Ryu, Bayonetta) so I'm going to invest in controls with tap jump off so I don't lose my jump when I SDI while they easy mode my body in a completely balanced manner.
I'll also learn how to mitigate their punish games as much as possible, and see if I was properly SDI'ing and minimizing the disadvantage state when I'm in an unfavorable position.
So yeah, if anyone plays Mario, Ryu, Bayonetta, Pikachu, Fox, or Toon Link who can really abuse their up tilts alone for massive damage and just Bayonetta's totally balanced and definitely not banworthy tools in general, I need the matchups and to find out everything I'm doing wrong.
One more thing that will greatly benefit me is learning how to deal with tournament nerves and get into a zone, I had random smash and double jump inputs on stream and just reduced performance in general from nerves.
I did some unsafe things on shield and felt like I couldn't approach without popping my colon at times, so I'll work on that.
I need to make everything in my neutral game truly matter.

I'll look into:
  • How to win against completely balanced punishes that pilot themselves as a fastfaller or at least not take them in the butt as hard.
  • How to calm nerves as much as possible.
  • How to play without tap jump on, so I don't eat my jump during combos or just randomly. I didn't want to lose a much easier OoS Blazer or up smash OoS, but like, I rarely use them anyways, and one or two risky and committal kill opportunities per bracket is much less important than possibly not going from 17 to 85 to being killed by rage Shoryuken even once. It's those balanced DLC newcomers, I'm telling you :p
Most importantly, I had a blast the whole time. A lot of people were really happy to see me, and I couldn't have made a better impression on the person housing me and his family, so that added to a great time. Most of my joy in these events comes from social interactions and feeling less useless than usual around people. I'm a lot more relaxed, happy, and avoid conflict fully without any real shifts in mood, which is an opposite of how I get online sometimes. Everyone seems to really like me in-person.

I'm so glad I'm so much better in-person than online, ohhh myyyy god.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a really fun time to me.
As for getting used to no tap jump, if you get used to having your shield angled up every time you shield its just a matter of pressing Jump and Attack/Special at the right time. I have a trigger set to jump, L, which you can try for easier OoS but I'm used to using Y for OoS so it's pretty much just preference and getting used to it.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Dude, I got used to no tap jump in less than a few days. It's a bit weird at first, but it feels much better once you get it.

Anyway, I went to a tournament yesterday. I didn't partake in it because I wasn't prepared for it. I was speaking to another Roy main yesterday about his potential and all. He told me that VoiD said that he really believed in Roy's potential in an interview, and is willing to use him as a secondary in order to find that said potential.

This had me wondering. Do you think it's a good idea to invite VoiD over to the Roy discord? Of course there's no rush. I was just wondering whether it was a good idea to show him some of the tech Roy has. After all, he is a very skilled player. I can't help but to wonder how much better his Roy would be if we introduced him to some of the Roy specific tech we have.

I'm also going to see Ryo soon. I might ask him about the Roy discord too. I won't force him or anything; I'll just ask him if he's interested since I think having a few skilled players would be nice. Since Roy doesn't have too many skilled mains right now, sharing Roy specific tech with better players who are interested in using Roy might help us a bit. What do you think?

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Dude, I got used to no tap jump in less than a few days. It's a bit weird at first, but it feels much better once you get it.

Anyway, I went to a tournament yesterday. I didn't partake in it because I wasn't prepared for it. I was speaking to another Roy main yesterday about his potential and all. He told me that VoiD said that he really believed in Roy's potential in an interview, and is willing to use him as a secondary in order to find that said potential.

This had me wondering. Do you think it's a good idea to invite VoiD over to the Roy discord? Of course there's no rush. I was just wondering whether it was a good idea to show him some of the tech Roy has. After all, he is a very skilled player. I can't help but to wonder how much better his Roy would be if we introduced him some of the Roy specific tech we have.

I'm also going to see Ryo soon. I might ask him about the Roy discord too. I won't force him or anything; I'll just ask him if he's interested since I think having a few skilled players would be nice. Since Roy doesn't have too many skilled mains right now, sharing Roy specific tech with better players who are interested in using them might help us a bit. What do you think?
Invite him U guys can have a Roy party like the good old days

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
lol the other Roy player in my country challenged me to a money match in yesterday's tournament, it was great <3

its funny cuz we both love roy and use him as a fun character on the side but we never use him i ntournament cuz deep down we know he's significantly worse than our other characters/mains ;_;

This had me wondering. Do you think it's a good idea to invite VoiD over to the Roy discord? Of course there's no rush. I was just wondering whether it was a good idea to show him some of the tech Roy has. After all, he is a very skilled player. I can't help but to wonder how much better his Roy would be if we introduced him to some of the Roy specific tech we have.

I'm also going to see Ryo soon. I might ask him about the Roy discord too. I won't force him or anything; I'll just ask him if he's interested since I think having a few skilled players would be nice. Since Roy doesn't have too many skilled mains right now, sharing Roy specific tech with better players who are interested in using Roy might help us a bit. What do you think?
Asking VoiD and Ryo seems like a good idea, we don't lose anything going for it and might get some help.

Though I don't think we should get our hopes up, I can't see them putting any real investment into Roy since there's no reason for them to. If you can get a hold of them in person, it's a perfect opportunity, but they've been ignoring me on Twitter after several short, straightforward communication attempts over the months, which is frustrating, so we'll likely be ignored if we reach out to them online.

If we do nab them, I think first and foremost we should play them and see what they can learn from us, as well as what we can learn from them. There's a handful of Roys we have that know a lot and show it in their play who can best teach those players firsthand about the character. Compiling a few VODs of each player and pointing out different things each player does could help introduce new Roys and help them find a balance with the character.

lol the other Roy player in my country challenged me to a money match in yesterday's tournament, it was great <3

its funny cuz we both love roy and use him as a fun character on the side but we never use him i ntournament cuz deep down we know he's significantly worse than our other characters/mains ;_;
That reminds me of the Bo5 I had with the state's other Roy on Friday for some $$$, I pretty much trashed him since he focuses so much on technical applications of things and not necessarily fundamentals or winning, plus he mains Mewtwo/Cloud and rarely focuses on Roy.

Yeah, Roy's probably contender for the #1 worst or one of the worst characters in the game. There's really no reason to play him over other swordfighters or DLC now, especially weighed against Corrin and Cloud, besides character loyalty. Other bad characters at least fit more niches than Roy. Hopefully patches change it.

Ah well, it is what it is. I don't play to win money or tournaments, so I wouldn't be bothered if he turned out to be the objective worst competitive character by a long shot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

VoiD is in the Sheik Discord and Ryo is in the Ike one. You guys can probably get a hold of them there.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Roy being a contender for the worst in the game is a super hardcore statement LOL I don't think he's even close to being there.

D

Deleted member

Roy being a contender for the worst in the game is a super hardcore statement LOL I don't think he's even close to being there.
Agreed. Roy definitely cannot be worse than characters like :4dedede::4jigglypuff::4zelda: and the 1111 variations of :4miibrawl::4miisword:.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I left VoiD a message, since I did talk with him a bit at Pound and at Glitch, so it's best not to leave too much more of a message. Don't want to flood him lol. If he chats with us, that's good, and if he doesn't, that's okay too lol.

He gets 0-to-deathed or just eats huge punishes super easily and loses hard to defensive options and matchup knowledge, and there's little to nothing Roy can do to mitigate it. He has to work so hard for his gameplan, and there's a lot of situations he can't do anything about, it just feels like there's so much he loses to. He gets so little reward while so many others get more reward for a lot less. I'm sure there's not many characters in this game who are -that- bad, and if there's characters who are worse, I truly feel bad for them. But I'm not super knowledgeable on the game, I just see clear differences from Roy and pretty much every other character where he struggles or is outright inferior, and I saw so much of it this weekend.

Agreed. Roy definitely cannot be worse than characters like :4dedede::4jigglypuff::4zelda: and the 1111 variations of :4miibrawl::4miisword:.
He doesn't really have anything tournament-wise over them and I don't see how his tools interact with the cast any better than them. How much do you know about Puff, Dedede, Zelda, and Miis? If you don't know much about them, it's a pretty bold statement to say Roy's any better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He gets 0-to-deathed or just eats huge punishes super easily and loses hard to defensive options and matchup knowledge, and there's little to nothing Roy can do to mitigate it. He has to work so hard for his gameplan, and there's a lot of situations he can't do anything about, it just feels like there's so much he loses to. He gets so little reward while so many others get more reward for a lot less. I'm sure there's not many characters in this game who are -that- bad, and if there's characters who are worse, I truly feel bad for them. But I'm not super knowledgeable on the game, I just see clear differences from Roy and pretty much every other character where he struggles or is outright inferior, and I saw so much of it this weekend.

He doesn't really have anything tournament-wise over them and I don't see how his tools interact with the cast any better than them. How much do you know about Puff, Dedede, Zelda, and Miis? If you don't know much about them, it's a pretty bold statement to say Roy's any better.
I mained Dedede since launch until dropping him this February. I think I'm pretty qualified to talk about the character. Have had Zelda as a pocket for several months as well. I commonly talk to the best SSB4 Puff right now, @RDR7.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

What ever happened to positivity? I remember you used to have high hopes for Roy. Now you seem more or less hopeless. What happened? o_o

Personally, I don't think he's SUPER amazing. He's alright. Certainly not bottom tier or contender for worst in the game however. He at least has mobility.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well if you want positivity, this might cheer you up

There is supposed a patch coming Monday (don't ask which Monday cause i don't know).

Roy buffs maybe?

1111 Miis and Puff I can agree with, other than that I to have to say it's a bit iff. Even against just CPU, I just feel like Roy doesn't have the super advantage the most other characters do over these low tiers. Though i can definitely say the Roy si far from the worst character in the game. By far.

What ever happened to positivity? I remember you used to have high hopes for Roy. Now you seem more or less hopeless. What happened? o_o

Personally, I don't think he's SUPER amazing. He's alright. Certainly not bottom tier or contender for worst in the game however. He at least has mobility.
I wish his mobility could beat at least any defensive options and he had more than t-rex grab range to compliment it. Everything's still pretty unsafe and he can't really utilize that mobility like better characters.

I got merced by people running around and holding shield the whole match while I couldn't do anything to so much as pressure them any, it was annoying to fight. I got utilt shoryukened from 17 to 70/80 and died to rage shoryuken multiple times. People counted the utilts on one stock. 22 of them while I was smash DI'ing in a lot of directions and I watched myself fall out and get hit while in hitstun or landing again. I got utilted pretty hard by a bad Toon Link and they got me to kill percent on my second stock even though I won, it bothered me because he was pretty bad and had an FG playstyle. Bayonetta destroyed me and I couldn't do anything. I got utilt combo'd and edgeguarded at low percents when I choked on recovery to Mario. I struggled really hard against characters like Corrin and Cloud who have a lot of safe stuff and just weren't balanced as DLC swordfighters with Roy in mind, so he was left in the dust. I let down my partner in doubles, even if it was friendlies, because Roy didn't have the tools to handle a 2v1 vs. Corrin and Cloud, and just got grabbed and died.

I've been dedicated to competitive play and Roy for a while and I'm still getting poor results and making the character look worse. I feel like I struggle trying to win with my character, and that as a player I can't contribute here at all even when I try. I single out every single thing to improve on and work on it asap for hours, but when I so much as let a little of frustration out, people immediately say they'll do it with hard work and it creates more pressure. I get it, I'll never do it, but people are so quick to count me out as soon as I feel even a little frustration which hurts. Though they're not wrong to.

I feel like my colon's going to pop in neutral. I feel like my combo throws don't combo properly at all, people keep falling out of DED and punishing me or it stops linking after 2-3 hits, punish windows are so close and never go through, DI completely butchers some of his kill moves, Roy can't kill without committing really hard or reading, and so many things just don't work. I'm working so hard for any reward while my opponents get it so easily. Blazer and up smash's "linking" hitboxes are such a joke. His confirms are really difficult and unsafe.

I know I'll never win a tournament or do well otherwise, so I don't know why I'm thinking about it so much. All I can do is hope for results, hope for buffs, or never see anything. It's just a repeat of Melee where Roy's a worse version of Marth nobody wants to play and I don't want to go through it again, where I'm incapable yet again, but it is what it is. I just have to embrace and accept it so that the community goes easier on us, I guess. If people get negative enough about Roy, he'll more likely see the buffs he needs to succeed in competitive play. That's really the only thing I can hope for. That's why I just stopped caring, because he needs them.

Playing Roy in tournaments again made me realize how poorly he's designed for tournament play. Other characters have been balanced for tournament play for a while for some reason. It hurts knowing Roy might never get a DK/Ike/Mewtwo/Marthcina treatment, he's poorly designed and has no real strengths or good matchups while he struggles with so much and gets so little reward. I invest so much and try so hard, but it feels like I'm going nowhere and like I'm so limited and struggling hard.

I'll keep pushing the character, sure, but I'm ready to continue being 0-to-deathed, losing to dumb stuff in neutral I can't do anything about from so many characters, and getting clipped or destroyed even when I'm trying to be safe. I'm not going to lie to myself when playing Roy is depressingly difficult with a game community and ongoing development team who keep making it harder every time. Maybe he'll get results someday, but I don't know why I play if I know I don't have a chance at being that amazing player. Bang's been in Smash 4 for three months with Diddy and he's learned so many fundamentals I still struggle with. He's doing better against good players than I ever will. I'm not cut out for this game, my passion's useless and so is my favorite character.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Man, reading that made me feel bad :(

I mean, i have like 4 other characters I can/do play to use if I don't feel like I can stay dedicated to Roy. I mean, I understand where you are coming from. I will play him still but I don't know if I will stay with him as a main

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Speaking of combo throws... i was doing dthrow to tilts/aerials yesterday on a ryu and he kept focus attacking out of them (not enough time to cancel it however so he's still hit out of it) and im realizing roy has like 0 true combos out of dthrow at anywhere higher than 20% or so .-.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
Weirdly enough, even though my outlook on Roy isn't optimistic, he'll always be my main. Even in the rare Melee or PM tournament I join, I play Roy. And he's garbo in Melee, don't get me started. But he feels right? It's hard to describe. I play a lot of characters in Smash 4 and even though I occasionally bring out Ike in tournament as well, none of those characters flow as well for me. Even other characters that do the speedy combo food better like Fox and Falcon feel very off by their movesets. It's a strange thing.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I wish his mobility could beat at least any defensive options and he had more than t-rex grab range to compliment it. Everything's still pretty unsafe and he can't really utilize that mobility like better characters.

I got merced by people running around and holding shield the whole match while I couldn't do anything to so much as pressure them any, it was annoying to fight. I got utilt shoryukened from 17 to 70/80 and died to rage shoryuken multiple times. People counted the utilts on one stock. 22 of them while I was smash DI'ing in a lot of directions and I watched myself fall out and get hit while in hitstun or landing again. I got utilted pretty hard by a bad Toon Link and they got me to kill percent on my second stock even though I won, it bothered me because he was pretty bad and had an FG playstyle. Bayonetta destroyed me and I couldn't do anything. I got utilt combo'd and edgeguarded at low percents when I choked on recovery to Mario. I struggled really hard against characters like Corrin and Cloud who have a lot of safe stuff and just weren't balanced as DLC swordfighters with Roy in mind, so he was left in the dust. I let down my partner in doubles, even if it was friendlies, because Roy didn't have the tools to handle a 2v1 vs. Corrin and Cloud, and just got grabbed and died.

I've been dedicated to competitive play and Roy for a while and I'm still getting poor results and making the character look worse. I feel like I struggle trying to win with my character, and that as a player I can't contribute here at all even when I try. I single out every single thing to improve on and work on it asap for hours, but when I so much as let a little of frustration out, people immediately say they'll do it with hard work and it creates more pressure. I get it, I'll never do it, but people are so quick to count me out as soon as I feel even a little frustration which hurts. Though they're not wrong to.

I feel like my colon's going to pop in neutral. I feel like my combo throws don't combo properly at all, people keep falling out of DED and punishing me or it stops linking after 2-3 hits, punish windows are so close and never go through, DI completely butchers some of his kill moves, Roy can't kill without committing really hard or reading, and so many things just don't work. I'm working so hard for any reward while my opponents get it so easily. Blazer and up smash's "linking" hitboxes are such a joke. His confirms are really difficult and unsafe.

I know I'll never win a tournament or do well otherwise, so I don't know why I'm thinking about it so much. All I can do is hope for results, hope for buffs, or never see anything. It's just a repeat of Melee where Roy's a worse version of Marth nobody wants to play and I don't want to go through it again, where I'm incapable yet again, but it is what it is. I just have to embrace and accept it so that the community goes easier on us, I guess. If people get negative enough about Roy, he'll more likely see the buffs he needs to succeed in competitive play. That's really the only thing I can hope for. That's why I just stopped caring, because he needs them.

Playing Roy in tournaments again made me realize how poorly he's designed for tournament play. Other characters have been balanced for tournament play for a while for some reason. It hurts knowing Roy might never get a DK/Ike/Mewtwo/Marthcina treatment, he's poorly designed and has no real strengths or good matchups while he struggles with so much and gets so little reward. I invest so much and try so hard, but it feels like I'm going nowhere and like I'm so limited and struggling hard.

I'll keep pushing the character, sure, but I'm ready to continue being 0-to-deathed, losing to dumb stuff in neutral I can't do anything about from so many characters, and getting clipped or destroyed even when I'm trying to be safe. I'm not going to lie to myself when playing Roy is depressingly difficult with a game community and ongoing development team who keep making it harder every time. Maybe he'll get results someday, but I don't know why I play if I know I don't have a chance at being that amazing player. Bang's been in Smash 4 for three months with Diddy and he's learned so many fundamentals I still struggle with. He's doing better against good players than I ever will. I'm not cut out for this game, my passion's useless and so is my favorite character.
WELL Mason, I don't know what to tell you. If you truly think this game is making you feel like crap, then it's best to drop it and take a long vacation. Either that, or try and get as far with Roy as you can.

Yeah, it's possible that Roy may get buffs, but it's unlikely; none of us know when the next patch will be, or whether there will be another patch. Even if another patch comes along, we still won't know who will be buffed or nerfed. The thing is, Roy isn't the only character who needs buffing. There's still Jiggly, Duck Hunt, Falco, King Dedede, Shulk... there is an entire slew of characters that still need buffs to be viable. If you want to get Roy buffed badly, I suggest you and other Roy mains come together and make a video showcasing his flaws. That's what the Mewtwo and Samus mains did and guess who got buffs?

On the positive side, maybe the complaints Roy is getting will guarantee him actual buffs? Wasn't he the third most bought DLC character after Mewtwo and Ryu? Even after Cloud and Bayonetta were released? Due to him being DLC, Roy might get priority since he's an optional character and the balancing team might want to make him strong enough to satisfy the people who bought him. Also, Sakurai DID say in his interview that he knew Marth was stronger than Roy in Melee, so he made Roy even stronger in this game. Seeing as how Marth is still better than Roy due to buffs, Roy's smash design as a result contradicts Sakurai's design plan for him. Sakurai wanted to make Roy stronger, but if he is still much weaker than Marth, then his design has failed right? I'm sure that they might touch him somehow if we get more patches. I'm starting to see him as one of the most popular candidates for a buff, even more so than Dedede, Palu or Charizard.

And you know what? If we don't get buffs, that's fine. I'm here just to get results with Roy. I'm not here to beat ZeRo, or be the best player in the world. This game is well balanced. Of course it could always be better, but I'm sure that if we try hard enough with Roy, we will overcome a lot of his awful match ups. I went to a tourney a few weeks ago, and in the same room, I heard of a ten year old disabled girl who was beating some of the top Mortal Kombat players with a low tier character. That gave me hope. I know this game is balanced enough where I can get somewhere with Roy if I try.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
WELL Mason, I don't know what to tell you. If you truly think this game is making you feel like crap, then it's best to drop it and take a long vacation. Either that, or try and get as far with Roy as you can.

Yeah, it's possible that Roy may get buffs, but it's unlikely; none of us know when the next patch will be, or whether there will be another patch. Even if another patch comes along, we still won't know who will be buffed or nerfed. The thing is, Roy isn't the only character who needs buffing. There's still Jiggly, Duck Hunt, Falco, King Dedede, Shulk... there is an entire slew of characters that still need buffs to be viable. If you want to get Roy buffed badly, I suggest you and other Roy mains come together and make a video showcasing his flaws. That's what the Mewtwo and Samus mains did and guess who got buffs?

On the positive side, maybe the complaints Roy is getting will guarantee him actual buffs? Wasn't he the third most bought DLC character after Mewtwo and Ryu? Even after Cloud and Bayonetta were released? Due to him being DLC, Roy might get priority since he's an optional character and the balancing team might want to make him strong enough to satisfy the people who bought him. Also, Sakurai DID say in his interview that he knew Marth was stronger than Roy in Melee, so he made Roy even stronger in this game. Seeing as how Marth is still better than Roy due to buffs, Roy's smash design as a result contradicts Sakurai's design plan for him. Sakurai wanted to make Roy stronger, but if he is still much weaker than Marth, then his design has failed right? I'm sure that they might touch him somehow if we get more patches. I'm starting to see him as one of the most popular candidates for a buff, even more so than Dedede, Palu or Charizard.

And you know what? If we don't get buffs, that's fine. I'm here just to get results with Roy. I'm not here to beat ZeRo, or be the best player in the world. This game is well balanced. Of course it could always be better, but I'm sure that if we try hard enough with Roy, we will overcome a lot of his awful match ups. I went to a tourney a few weeks ago, and in the same room, I heard of a ten year old disabled girl who was beating some of the top Mortal Kombat players with a low tier character. That gave me hope. I know this game is balanced enough where I can get somewhere with Roy if I try.
That's actually isn't a bad idea. Maybe use the email that dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 made as list and check off each one.

Top Bottom