• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy (our boy) in Brawl+

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Question: Why, exactly, couldn't we do Roy in brawl+???

Lets think about it for a second. We could use marth's character model reskinned. That looks just like roy with the ability to texture hack. No problem so far.

Now moveset wise, he would have to be a clone, yeah, but why couldn't we set up an alternate knockback moveset similar to Roy in melee? I don't see why not, considering they have already changed movesets, lag, startup, etc. on plenty of moves so far. Couldn't we do it with Roy to make him the same as melee, and simply add an alternate character select icon for him? Though it would still technically be Marth, it would be super awesome if he got his own icon and such.

Am I just stuck in the past or could this be doable?

Almas

Smash Lord
This is doable as a clone in the future. The biggest issue would be team games - certain clones would either be forced or impossible during said games.

And yes, Illinialex, Brawl+ already has the SD loader active. We use it for the double GCT method.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
We currently cannot add anything to the game be it characters, textures or stages, we can only replace existing ones. As Almas said we would have to replace one of Marth's costume and assign those move changes to it, which at this point in time isn't possible either we can only change moves per character not costume.

But seeing what the wii hacking scene has made possible in the past I'm pretty sure that we'll be able to at least add clone characters in the future.

Almas

Smash Lord
The transition from changes dependant on character to changes dependant on costume is a trivial one. As it is, most of our current character specific codes draw their information from a data source which was put there by spunit. It is not a huge feat to extend this data source to include costume information. As jested in another thread - we could decide how a moveset is changed based on the time of day, if we really wanted to.

That said, it isn't something that's going to come about in the nearby future, because it would require modification of most of the currently existing codes, and wouldn't be used to full extent for a long time. People have better things to be working on.

Dragonrage

Smash Apprentice
The transition from changes dependant on character to changes dependant on costume is a trivial one. As it is, most of our current character specific codes draw their information from a data source which was put there by spunit. It is not a huge feat to extend this data source to include costume information.
I was actually wondering about this for a while, thanks for clearing it up.

Sukai

Smash Champion
As of now, it's possible to make a makeshift Roy but at the cost of getting rid of Marth.
It's possible to change the base knockback and knockback gain of all of his attacks, alter his hitbox properties (theoretically, to move the sweetspot), increase his gravity, add fire to his up smash, and his specials, and reduced the frame time and aerial movement of his Up B.
Making a whole new model with proper multi hit attacks and voice clips, that'll no doubt take some time.

Endevin

Smash Rookie
.... we could decide how a moveset is changed based on the time of day, if we really wanted to.
For some reason, I find the idea appealing of a character who switches between being completely overpowered and utterly worthless every 5 minutes.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Yah, people have been talking about this on the IRC. Glad you made a topic.
I think maybe somebody who's not working on the Plussery or related stuff could try starting on Roy.
I luv Roy

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
For some reason, I find the idea appealing of a character who switches between being completely overpowered and utterly worthless every 5 minutes.
just use standard pokemon trainer for the same effect.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Mmm thanks for the input guys. Looks like this is fairly possible. I didn't think voice clips and such would make it in anyway, I just want Roy's model and moveset xD

I really like the hold 'R' idea. Or we could make a whole other character selection box like Zamus and the individual pokemon, though that idea may not work. I honestly don't know enough about how the hacking works.

There isn't a Roy moveset swap for Marth out at the moment is there? I would gladly just replace Marth until hacks allow me to have both :D

Edit: Oh, and it has to have t3h PH1R3 for it to be acceptable as well =p

CloneHat

Smash Champion
All the codes we need have been released:

Dash speed
Gravity values
Hitbox properties (reverse the sweetspot)
Hitbox effects (t3h PH1R3 on whatever you want)
Roy texture

Sterowent

Smash Ace
will there ever be a way to spawn items from moves?

i know diddy does it, as does peach and DDD. but if you could charge for the explosion, maybe spawning a bob-bomb explosion at the end, he'd be closer to perfect!

would be delicious.

RoyMaster4

Smash Apprentice
*Gasms*
When will this be done? Roy in brawl is just perfect, a dream come true. It'd be nice to add fire on other moves too, like FSmash.

And possibly other clones? Would this make it possible to make some of the textures act like themselves, to some degree? And the return of Mewtwo, Young Link, Doctor Mario, and Pichu!

☆_Mutha-Foxin GangstaKirby_☆

Banned via Warnings
waiting for mars to hurry up with that **** blunt
will there ever be a way to spawn items from moves?

i know diddy does it, as does peach and DDD. but if you could charge for the explosion, maybe spawning a bob-bomb explosion at the end, he'd be closer to perfect!

would be delicious.
or just change the property to explosive and then give it ridiculous knock back at full charge

Dragon Master Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Man if this was possible, I would have liked seeing a Black Shadow Costume for Captain Falcon or Ganondorf using that holding "R" method... using his trophy as a model

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Deff, you might as well begin making funeral arrangements. As far as I'm aware, the BR will take a more in-depth look at programming these new semi-clones once we release a Gold Brawl+ set.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
I kinda wish that we could custom model characters, but who knows if that'll ever be possible. Anyways, we could apply that to remaking characters like Roy and copying Shadow's model. The problem with custom models would probably be hitboxes and animations...

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I kinda wish that we could custom model characters, but who knows if that'll ever be possible. Anyways, we could apply that to remaking characters like Roy and copying Shadow's model. The problem with custom models would probably be hitboxes and animations...
I would imagine it's just a matter of time type of thing until somebody finds where the memory stores information on the hitbox shape, but for now we can at least adjust sweetspots, base knockback, knockback growth, launch angle, damage, and effects.

I don't see animations being possible, judging by the way character swaps work. Character models just aren't made to work with anything besides their own attacks :\ And it would just be impossible to add a completely new model into the game which means that things have to be done off of the models we are given. But attacks could be given frame modifications to behave differently. Like Cape's video of Ganondorf's Utilt hitting on frame 12, doing 12% damage and way less knockback. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6qzfEnuWDQ&feature=channel_page

So sadly I think that things are going to have to be limited to clone characters, but even if brand new characters are impossible, I am MORE than happy with having Roy and Doctor Mario. Even Pichu minus the self damage would be awesome. Then you could get creative with something like Shadow being a unique character from there.

trojanpooh

Smash Lord
If pichu was made he would have to have the damaging himself aspect too. Otherwise he just wouldn't be pichu.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
Well haven't we found character data on Roy in Brawl already???? Are there any textures moves anything of the sort if this does exist and if we have found this wouldn't we already know where the data is stored?

Revven

FrankerZ
Slipsy, there isn't enough complete data for ANY of the characters said to be found on the disc that aren't in the game. Whatever was in those folders for them, are likely to have been deleted just like the debug menu.

Slipsystem13

Smash Cadet
Awww, that really sucks.... has anything like this been attempted before on any sort of game in the nintendo line. As it is brawl plus is a major change, but adding and removing characters that's amazing. if it worked... or we could figure it out

Rudra

Smash Ace
Man if this was possible, I would have liked seeing a Black Shadow Costume for Captain Falcon or Ganondorf using that holding "R" method... using his trophy as a model
Oh gods YES! I'd love to relive the climax of the F-Zero series! (The Falcon Punch wouldnt be as epic,but it would still be freaking amazing)

If this happened I would just kill myself after I found out, because then my life would be complete.
I'm with you there. :bee:

Deff, you might as well begin making funeral arrangements. As far as I'm aware, the BR will take a more in-depth look at programming these new semi-clones once we release a Gold Brawl+ set.
Well, it looks like I'll need to find a good mortician. :laugh:
After seeing how much you guys have changed Brawl, I have faith that you'll get this done sooner or later too. (Imagine how many people would hack their Wii's just to play as Roy, Dr. Mario, and Pichu in Brawl lol)

*Walks away chanting "Roy's our boy..."*

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
*Walks away chanting "Roy's our boy..."*
That makes me think, would it be possible to change the chant for the character as well?
Wouldn't be right to hear the crowd cheering for Marth when your kicking *** :p

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I would imagine it's just a matter of time type of thing until somebody finds where the memory stores information on the hitbox shape, but for now we can at least adjust sweetspots, base knockback, knockback growth, launch angle, damage, and effects.

I don't see animations being possible, judging by the way character swaps work. Character models just aren't made to work with anything besides their own attacks :\ And it would just be impossible to add a completely new model into the game which means that things have to be done off of the models we are given. But attacks could be given frame modifications to behave differently. Like Cape's video of Ganondorf's Utilt hitting on frame 12, doing 12% damage and way less knockback. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6qzfEnuWDQ&feature=channel_page

So sadly I think that things are going to have to be limited to clone characters, but even if brand new characters are impossible, I am MORE than happy with having Roy and Doctor Mario. Even Pichu minus the self damage would be awesome. Then you could get creative with something like Shadow being a unique character from there.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227326
Brawl Model extractor. They're working on it dude.

Rudra

Smash Ace
That makes me think, would it be possible to change the chant for the character as well?
Wouldn't be right to hear the crowd cheering for Marth when your kicking *** :p
<=/ You're...right. I wonder if anything could be done about that...

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
On another note, is it possible to take characters who are Assist Trophies and replace playable characters with them? I would assume so, as they still have the bones and joints, it would just be applying new animations to them. The only problem I would see is if, say, you were to replace Sonic with Shadow's model, what would happen when you use the spring?

CloneHat

Smash Champion
Excuse the double post, but here are some preliminary changes:

-Fire effect on B, side B, down B, up B, up smash, and perhaps forward smash sweetspot.
-Sweet and sourspots on all moves reversed, dtilt launch angle to 90 degrees (straight up), up B and up smash trajectories changed (optional)
-Down B launch and damage power increased, neutral B charge animation slowed down, but damage and KB increased (optional)
-Roy texture

storm92

Smash Ace
For the gravity specific changes, this is what we can do:
I'm sure that there are jump values (as in when the jumps start, when SH/FH land) from Melee available for both Roy and Marth. Because we aren't, and can't realistically, going to make Roy Melee-gravity levels, I say we find the proportion between Marth and Roy's landing frames on the SH/FH tests (so something like Roy 1.3 downgrav to Marth 1.0) and then we bring that proportion over to Brawl+ and multiply Marth's Plussery settings with the proportion to get Roy "would've" been like in Brawl had he stayed within the same proportional gravity to Marth.
That way, we can accurately reflect how he was in Melee, without being ultra-high in grav.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I know you guys have said you can't put Roy into Brawl+, but I ask why not? He IS a clone of Marth. Since you can alter properties of characters, can't you merely do a texture hack of Marth, make him heavier, slower, remove some hits from Dancing Blade and make it all red, no different colors, add Ike's fire property, move Marth's sweetspot from the tip to the center, and add the same property that allows Mario and Squirtle's Up B's trajectory to be controlled slightly? I know it'd take some time, but isn't the above possible?
I came up with it first.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It would be pretty feasible if somebody went and got ALL of Marth's Hitbox data.

Also, we need a code to basically run different characters based off the costumes.

Top Bottom