• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Ryu Sound Files Found

Are you excited for these characters?

• Yes

Votes: 823 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 306 27.1%

• Total voters

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
Roy's our boy!:roypm::roypm::roypm: Still rooting for Young Link, but if this is true, it'll be awesome to have my Melee main back!

GamefreakDX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3067-6277-7612
Isn't it pretty obvious what Ryu's moves will be? If you've ever played Street Fighter they basically write themselves.

B: Hadouken
Up+B: Shoryuken
Forward+B or Forward Smash: his mule kick from SF3
Down+B: "The pipes are broken"

Final Smash is either Shinkuu Hadouken laser or Shin Shoryuken.
Well okay, it could be that, but that's it. Could.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
This is the same way we first found out about 8 player smash

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Well I have mixed feelings regarding Ryu, although I love street fighter, and the character. I'm not sure he's a good thing for Smash.

It would set two precedents for Smash, that we have yet to see, which may or may not be good for the Smash series.

Firstly it adds a second third party rep for company with representation already. Ryu's inclusion would 100% legitimatize character requests such as Tails, Zero, X, Shadow, Dr. Eggman, Klonoa, Lloyd, etc. This gets into a controversial debate about the Nintendo purity of the roster etc.

Secondly this would be the first character from a fighting game franchise and would open the flood gates for other similar characters. I feel fighting characters are little out of place in Smash. I think Sakurai once shared the opinion that fighting game characters were a little out of place, but he always changes his perspective and mind game to game.

The flood gates surely are opening.

*Hands out Smash Character Ballots*

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Roy would be too redundant, since we already have another Mar...io's enemy :troll:
Now, seriously, it would be nice to see him back. I just don't see this happening because Ryu's songs are the same exact ones from SFII, the 3DS is based on handheld games (Super Street Fighter IV was released for the 3DS), and Sakurai said he didn't want a character from a Fighting Game!

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
It just better be this Roy or else. We don't need anymore :marth:clones.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
If its ryu its obviously the capcom one because the the sound files lol . . .
no other ryu is on the table.

HotNTasty

Smash Apprentice
Due to the sheer implications of third party and fighting characters in smash as well as finding Ryu bland *flame shield* I hope this rumor is utterly false. As cool as Roy sounds, Ryu sounds like a terrible idea imo.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Not very excited, but mostly because I haven't really played either series, good on their fans if it is real though.

That being said, I have major doubts, and would take it with a bag of road salt.

I'll just keep waiting for my boy Lucas.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
This has got to be fake, the sound quality on Ryu's theme is really bad, almost like it was ported directly from the SNES. Also Roy shares his theme with Marth so that could easily be fake.

After Rayman I'm not falling for anything, I haven't got time for that. Especially since there's still no sign of Wolf yet we have Roy and Lucas who are both pretty irrelevant and Ryu who has an upcoming game exclusive to the PS4
Can't wait for another lame Marth clone!

Can't wait for two more anime-esque characters in the game!!

Yay!!!!

I miss the day when those kind of characters were the exception in Smash. The series is almost becoming one of those anime fighters at this point. When it comes to third party characters, people ask for Bomberman, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon Belmont, etc and what Sakurai gives us? ****ing Ryu.

Of course it could be all fake, but still. Knowing Sakurai, it is likely real.
Please stop, there's only 6 "anime-esque" characters. Wait, It's 7 forgot about other Pit

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I don't believe Ryu for a moment, perhaps they're placeholder sounds for a certain Ninja, because they currently don't have the KT liscense credited yet, but a fighting game character who also from a third party who already has a character... not buying it...

Unless ofcourse Nintendo announce they've bought out Capcom at E3 or something, then Ryu is in the game, no questions; but I think it's more likely just a placeholder or joke file. (or a fake of course)

Last edited:
There are a few problems I have with this.

1) The music fanfare would likely be in the files with the DLC characters, not in this patch.

2) There is no reason why Lucas and Roy would receive new fanfare files if it's the same music as Ness and Marth, respectively; they would just use the ones already in the base game.

3) The supposed Street Fighter music is snagged straight out of the old games; not professional new arrangements that would be more convincing.

These items have me leaning in favor of it being false. It's about as compelling as the Rayman thing a few weeks ago which also reeked. Just my opinions, though; don't let it slow your roll if you're hyped about this.

Last edited:

Modular Zeal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tsquared
3DS FC
2750-1105-6750
Can't wait for another lame Marth clone!

Can't wait for two more anime-esque characters in the game!!

Yay!!!!

I miss the day when those kind of characters were the exception in Smash. The series is almost becoming one of those anime fighters at this point. When it comes to third party characters, people ask for Bomberman, Banjo & Kazooie, Simon Belmont, etc and what Sakurai gives us? ****ing Ryu.

Of course it could be all fake, but still. Knowing Sakurai, it is likely real.
woah man calm down.... are you really getting angry at the art style of characters, that should be one of the last thing to worry about. At least freak out about how he would be putting in a double clone character....

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Well okay, it could be that, but that's it. Could.
Sure. Tatsumaki could also be his down-smash, forward+B, or even an aerial, but in that case I don't know what else his down+B could be. Maybe focus attack with infinite armor?

What would make Ryu interesting is if they gave him a "super meter" or "revenge meter" mechanic similar to Little Mac's KO meter. He could build meter by attacking or getting hit, and spend meter on EX moves or even do a final smash when it's full.

Last edited:

CamJamSlamMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cam_TriforceMan
3DS FC
4811-6936-8465
I like how the video thumbnail has a picture of Eliwood (Roy's father) instead of Roy.

Really though, I'm just still holding on to the hope that Wolf will return.

bolo

Smash Rookie
So don't buy him? It's not hurting anyone else's chances of getting in considering how easy he'd be to make.
Of course it is. They can't make an infinite number of characters. I know people are all nostalgic for Roy and some other fighters, but I would like to see completely new ones have a chance to be released, too.

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
There is no way they would ever put Ryu in Smash because then Nintendo / Sakurai would have to give in to the whole "serious fighter" side of Smash. Stupid stubborn Sakurai...stupid sexy Flanders....

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
I like how the video thumbnail has a picture of Eliwood (Roy's father) instead of Roy.

Really though, I'm just still holding on to the hope that Wolf will return.
I thought I was the only one who noticed. You beat my comment by a minute :laugh:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Meh, it makes perfect sense:

-Ryu is actually a pretty iconic 3rd party character. He is considered the "fighting game guy stereotype". He is more known that Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman and Banjo-Kazooie.

-Why people wasn't as hyped for him and giving him tons of votes in the ballot in the first place? Well, could be many things. Real Ryu fans have a fighting game with him already. And he is not that interesting of a design, even though that is kinda his charm.

-As for Roy. As much as Im not a fan like many. Its no use to hide that many people are asking for him and he appears constantly in people's vote. Despite being 4 FE characters in and 2 being his original version (Marth) and another clone sibling (Lucina). Despite him being from a forgotten FE game. Yeah, people still want him.

-Lets consider that if he is still a clone. Then probably he took barely any effort to put in the game. He is just an extra project on the side from the Smash team and has no impact on the ballot results (except that everyone who voted for Roy might wanna change their vote). So, if Roy is there, then he is there. No characters are being cut because of him, he is just an extra. No harm done.

-I was thinking that maybe he is an alt for Marth/Lucina. But I need to know first if the victory sounds come separated for the other alts too. And also I wonder how much would people care if Roy didn't had his blade properties or his fire (oh, they will care; there is no way pleasing some).

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I got really high doubts about this supposed leak just a few things don't seem to fit. but hell what the hell do I know

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
There is no way they would ever put Ryu in Smash because then Nintendo / Sakurai would have to give in to the whole "serious fighter" side of Smash. Stupid stubborn Sakurai...stupid sexy Flanders....
That's completely arbitrary logic. Ryu is from a widely cherished video game that made its mark on Nintendo, there's no reason why he can't be in a game that's a celebration of video games. So what if Street Fighter is "more serious"? That's no reason to exclude a character.

Stoven

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3679-8490
What if ryu was a little mac clone but with a better jump :troll:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't necessarily believe this, but OH MEE GOSH, Ryu would be amazing and a Ken alt to go along!

:GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCB:
HADOUKEN!!

LLDL

Smash Hero
Ryu would be such a good look for this game, it's not even funny.

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
Lol people getting mad over the slight chance that Roy might be back and the fact that ryu might be in smash 4 over other 3rd party characters. No ones forcing you to buy the DLC. If sakurai brings Roy back with a different move set then I don't think it'll be wasted spot and if he stays the same as Marth then at least make him viable lol. As for Ryu, it'll be interesting to see how a traditional fighting game character works in the world of smash but if this rumor is debunked then forget i even made this comment.

42rockjock

Smash Cadet
Lol people getting mad over the slight chance that Roy might be back and the fact that ryu might be in smash 4 over other 3rd party characters. No ones forcing you to buy the DLC. If sakurai brings Roy back with a different move set then I don't think it'll be wasted spot and if he stays the same as Marth then at least make him viable lol. As for Ryu, it'll be interesting to see how a traditional fighting game character works in the world of smash but if this rumor is debunked then forget i even made this comment.

MLGBlazexx

Smash Rookie
NNID
RainbowDash8995
3DS FC
2621-3435-5304
As much as I wanna believe and ride the hypetrain.... i still don't quite know if i believe this 100%... BUT STILL... THE HYPE... RYUE IN SMASH AND OUR BOY ROY... LIKE... YES

Top Bottom