• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Mewtwo to be in US/PAL version of brawl/DL for japan-PROVEN FAKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
@Plutonium : Thanks for stating what's already been said at least 10 times. Read through previous posts before you answer an old question.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Huh, I have fooled around with Melee's debug menu, and I have come across Ditto, and two unused stages (Akaneia and Ice Top), but I never found any mention to Balloon Fighter.
Sorry, I should've checked my sources. I read about it and remembered something about a Balloon Fighter, but here's what I actually read on IGN's "Smash It Up!" column:

"A beta version of the last Smash game, Melee, actually included the generic character Balloon Fighter as a playable character – but he didn't make the cut, as he didn't have much personality as a mascot."

So, I'm guessing "beta version" =/= debug. I looked at a complete list (advertised) of the debug menu, and no extra fighters besides something called "NONE" that froze the game were in there.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh lord. This is a sad day, just as mas369 has said.

I haven't been here long, nor have I been at GameFAQs long, but over at GameFaqs they actually look smart.

In contribution to the discussion, I have something to add.

I have read the entire 27 pages to the point, so this is not repeated.

Does anyone recall how Sakurai put a little bottom of the stage selection for melee characters? Who's to say that even with a full page of characters, He won't put a button at the bottem for downloaded characters. So now you're going to say "BUT THEN ONLINE ZOMG PROBLEMS 4 PPL THAT DUN HAVE IT". Alright, picture this. Every time a new character is released, a Brawl System Update would be released along with it to remove conflict errors for people that haven't downloaded it. How would this work?

Simple, a new channel. As I call it, the "Brawl Channel" (Yeah, you like that name :p ).

In the menu, there would be 3 button. Download Characters, Brawl Data Update, and "Return to Wii Menu" (You like that too XD ). In the "Download Characters" menu, a list of characters available for download will be presented. Each character could be, say 200 Wii points. That's 2$, not much. Now with a bandwagon of players, in this case, Mewtwo or Roy, let's put that it up at say, 500,000 downloads. Multiply that by 2, and Nintendo makes a easy million dollars. But that's just a small number. Consider how many copies of Brawl will be sold.

The second option, "Brawl Data Update", would do exactly like the name implies. Check for new updates, the new characters, and store them on your Wii or an external hard drive/SD card. With these updates, you will still be able to play online and play a match against the characters you don't have without any conflict. And to prevent Gamesharkers or ActionReplayers to access the data without paying for it, there would be some kind of lock, that prevents GS or AR from accessing it. Say, a pass code encrypted into Brawl's data. Seeing as the data would be external, GS or AR wouldn't normally be able to access it anyway.

And lastly, the "Return to Wii menu" option. Do I need to explain this? XD

The channel itself would be under the "WiiWare" category in the Wii Shop channel. The channel itself is free, but the channel itself uses the Wii points to download your characters.

Storage space? External hard drive or a SD card. No problems there.

Also, Nintendo reps have stated that DLC will work on the Wii. Why not start here? I can expect the same thing for Mario Kart Wii, Only with a "MKii Channel" (You LOVE that XP )

Friends, this is just my personal opinion, but it also might be the most logical path of action if DLC will be a feature. It would also explain why IGN and other reviewers with the english version don't see the light. There could be a little string of code somewhere that would read something like "CHECK_DATA : IF RESULT = TRUE = DISPLAY "DwnldCharacters" FALSE = NODISPLAY"

Well, I've given you all something to chew on. Discuss. All we can do it wait.
I don't think Sakurai will charge Japanese players for Mewtwo and Roy, considering that NA and PAL users will be getting them for free. Mewtwo & Roy could very welll be the only two download characters that Brawl will ever get. I don't think Nintendo will make a whole bunch of download characters unless they decide to release a harddrive for the Wii. I think in order for it not to look awkward, they would need to release two more download characters down the road to complete a column. Dr. Mario would not take up much space considering that he would be borrowing all of his voice effects from Mario as well as most of his animations, so he is probably next on the list for download characters after Mewtwo & Roy. Toon Zelda would take up a lot space since she is basically two characters in one (she would likely be bringing Toon Sheik along with her). As for Plusle & Minun, they would need a lot of voice work done since both are two different Pokemon. This leaves Dixie Kong as the next most likely download character as that they can simply make Diddy's voice effects high-pitched and give her most of his animations. I highly doubt we will see the likes of Ridley, Krystal, Geno, etc. if there are indeed going to be download characters.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Why are we believing this again? Rapscouter was supposed to be a "reliable source", and look what happened with him. And didn't serebii say Mewtwo wouldn't be returning?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Basically we're all throwing out our theories. The Wii and its dual-layer game discs have the potential of having downloadable content, but whether it will be utilized or not is anyone's guess. With Brawl being a surefire win in sales, it would seem the logical thing to do, but Nintendo hasn't always gone with the most *logical* approach.

We'll just wast our time typing for now and see when it comes out.

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
Completely false. Its just people clinging on to something so they don't feel bad. Characters get kicked out of new rosters all the time and Smash is no different.

Also, the d/l idea is ****ing stupid. The Wii barely has enough on board memory to save a few videos.

Chrono, seeing as you're the wise one to this topic, would you kindly read my theory and give me your opinion on it? The link is in my siggy.

Edit : W00T, I'm a Smash "Child" now. ^^
Also, just because I'm in a bad mood, NEVER USE WOOT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS. It means "We Own the Other Team". Where and who is the team you just owned? Oh wait, there isn't any. Don't advocate grammar if you don't even know the meaning of the words that come out of your mouth.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Exactly. I agree that Roy and Mewtwo would be "freebies". And maybe Nintendo already has a "WiiDrive" (Ohyeah, Rompin!" in the works. Who knows. As staind mentioned that the Wii discs are dual-layered, considering only 1 layer is used already, the other could new character data.

We'll find out in a week T_T

Edit: @MrLegend : Orly? It was stated before that the Wii could hold a game cube game. Worth way more in space than a video.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Completely false. Its just people clinging on to something so they don't feel bad. Characters get kicked out of new rosters all the time and Smash is no different.

Also, the d/l idea is ****ing stupid. The Wii barely has enough on board memory to save a few videos.
But it has enough memory to save 4 NES games, 6 SNES games, and 5 N64 games? (just my own example)

Plus, the dual-layered discs they use for games can have extra code written to them, so I've read. In which case, the Wii's internal memory wouldn't be needed. I'm still not completely agreeing with the claim, but downloadable content IS possible, technologically speaking.

Besides, this is what the message boards are for, speculation. Just let people say what they want- as long as it isn't ranting or idiotic.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord

Get out of here, you don't know what you're talking about.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
Basically we're all throwing out our theories. The Wii and its dual-layer game discs have the potential of having downloadable content, but whether it will be utilized or not is anyone's guess. With Brawl being a surefire win in sales, it would seem the logical thing to do, but Nintendo hasn't always gone with the most *logical* approach.

We'll just wast our time typing for now and see when it comes out.
and the wii is capable of burning onto disks? what are you talking about?

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Just to put this fact out there so there aren't cries for "that can't happen!!", here:

"Speaking to Game Informer magazine, Fils-Aime said: "If our licensee partners want to go in that direction [premium downloadable content], it's certainly possible in our system." Fils-Aime also took the opportunity to reaffirm Nintendo's plans for downloadable content. "If you've gotten to a particular part in a game, we could push content out to you, so you get to battle a new boss," he said. "Maybe you get a new artefact; maybe you get a new weapon.""

link

Notice that he wasn't referring to the WiiWare games on the Wii Shop channel, he was specifically referring to the possibility of DLC within a pre-existing game. Note that this came out in 2006, so does not mean anything abotu Brawl specifically, but it CAN happen. Whether it will or not, we don't know.

But I'll say it again, I highly, HIGHLY doubt Mewtwo and Roy will be preloaded into the NA release like this rumor says. But, I won't bet on it, since I already lost a five dollar bet on Wolf getting in.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
But it has enough memory to save 4 NES games, 6 SNES games, and 5 N64 games? (just my own example)

Plus, the dual-layered discs they use for games can have extra code written to them, so I've read. In which case, the Wii's internal memory wouldn't be needed. I'm still not completely agreeing with the claim, but downloadable content IS possible, technologically speaking.

Besides, this is what the message boards are for, speculation. Just let people say what they want- as long as it isn't ranting or idiotic.
just so you know. ... nes / snes / genesis games are about 50 -200 kb each (NOTHING)

n64 games are a few megabytes

speculation is one thing, but complete ignorance?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
just so you know. ... nes / snes / genesis games are about 50 -200 kb each (NOTHING)

...Are you stupid?

Only NES and lowgrade SNES games are under 1 MB. Usually SNES and Genesis games can run up in between 1-10 MB.

N64 games have, in the past, ran up to 50 MB. Some lowgrade N64 games like Super Mario 64 are around 15 or 20 MB, though.

A character would be a lot lower than this and wouldn't even be programed into the Wii system. If anything, it would be programed to the saved data or the game disc itself, which is completely possible.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
...Are you stupid?

Only NES and lowgrade SNES games are under 1 MB. Usually SNES and Genesis games can run up in between 1-10 MB.

N64 games have, in the past, ran up to 50 MB.

A character would be a lot lower than this and wouldn't even be programed into the Wii system. If anything, it would be programed to the saved data or the game disc itself, which is completely possible.
NES games run from 50-300 kbs

SNES games are probably are 500kb-1mb

so you're the stupid one, and even more stupid for not realizing i was lowballing it to support my point.

*edit : You are also stupid for your your inability to comprehend the English language. Not once did i mention or imply that it wouldnt be possible.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Sorry I don't know the exact specs of a game system, I just play it. I tried out making a game for the Dreamcast, realized it was freaking hard as hell, gave up, and don't bother looking much into these things since I'm definitely not much of a hardware man. I'm simply reading things and putting ideas out there so it can either 1) give people something to talk about, or 2) be confirmed as false so we can rule that out as an option.

I'm still doubtful of it ever happening, but I'm simply arguing to not rule it out until a Nintendo executive says clear as day, "There will be no downloadable content for Brawl."

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
NES games run from 50-300 kbs

SNES games are probably are 500kb-1mb

so you're the stupid one, and even more stupid for not realizing i was lowballing it to support my point.
SNES games are probably 500KB-1MB?

Hahahahahahahaha. You don't know much about SNES roms do ya?

You're spot on with the NES game range although the highest I've seen is 800 KB.

But SNES games literally run in between 1 MB to 10 MB. That's just a fact. Star Ocean is about 10 or 8 MB iirc and so is a few other games. Mostly SNES games are around the 5 MB area, though.

The Boogerman

Smash Cadet
Wow, this is a bad sign. Does this mean that GameFAQs is starting to get some members with half a brain, that SWF is entering into a downward spiral from which there is no return, that it's opposite day, I don't know, but this is just unbeleaveable that we are that bad right now.
I love how everyone on these boards bash the crap out of GameFAQs. You do realize not everyone on there is ******** right? Way to act elitist. As you put it, "Unbeleaveable*."

*Unbelievable.

Speaking of which, aside from the insane amount of fads and Joke accounts, GameFAQs is pretty **** cool. I should return there and lulz at how they mock GameSpot users.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I love how everyone on these boards bash the crap out of GameFAQs. You do realize not everyone on there is ******** right? Way to act elitist. As you put it, "Unbeleaveable*."

*Unbelievable.

Speaking of which, aside from the insane amount of fads and Joke accounts, GameFAQs is pretty **** cool. I should return there and lulz at how they mock GameSpot users.
Gamefaqs is better than Smashboards when it comes to intelligence I can say that.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Gamefaqs is better than Smashboards when it comes to intelligence I can say that.
The internet is not a place for the intelligent, most times. 'lolz'

Now, back to topic?

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
SNES games are probably 500KB-1MB?

Hahahahahahahaha. You don't know much about SNES roms do ya?

You're spot on with the NES game range although the highest I've seen is 800 KB.

But SNES games literally run in between 1 MB to 10 MB. That's just a fact. Star Ocean is about 10 or 8 MB iirc and so is a few other games. Mostly SNES games are around the 5 MB area, though.
you must really like rpgs, because the only snes roms that are that big are RPGS

The Boogerman

Smash Cadet
you must really like rpgs, because the only snes roms that are that big are RPGS
Let's see here.

FE 1+3: 3.00 MB, Genre- Strat

Donkey Kong Country 2: 4.26 M.B., Genre- Platform

Marvel Super Heroes: 2.00 MB, Genre- Platform?

Maximum Carnage: 2.00 MB, Genre- Side Scrolling Fighting

Return of the Jedi- 2.00 MB, Genre- Side Scrolling Fighting

Castlevania: Dracula X- 2.00 MB, Genre- Side Scrolling?

Those are just a small handful of games bigger than 1.00 MB. There are A LOT. Trust me.

Algus Underdunk

Smash Journeyman
They won't be. Just like some other characters *CoughToonLinkCough*
Not to spoil anything, but I believe I've seen footage of Toon Link in SSE.

But yes, it's not necessary for every single playable character in the game to be somewhere in SSE. I've noticed that Brawl itself has been made more 'modular' than other entries in the series. I.E., only several target tests instead of one per character, events in which you fight the amount of characters currently unlocked, screens that dynamically reorganize themselves based on who or what has been unlocked, etc.

Plus, let's not forget that, being Smash Brothers and having all of those highly detailed trophies, there's already quite a pile of visual data that wouldn't need to be included in the transfer of data. For example, take the Chibi-Robo statue, slap in a few hundred values to indicate his environmental responses, a packet of audio clips (typically less than 2-3 seconds long per character and for the announcer), a roster image, a 'life sprite', either a new icon or a reference to a pre-existing one, and a moveset packet of data, and you've really got it. ...that's not as large a hunk of memory as it sounds, by the bye.

For the theory of Brawl actually using its own pre-set aside memory blocks for storing incoming data, yes, this seems very likely, given Brawl's AMAZINGLY large (comparatively) block usage rate. I believe it's in the hundreds, while most Wii Games up until now used one, maybe two....

Although Brawl does seem to be recording a spectacular amount of data, if Melee's any indication. Not just who's unlocked, but thousands of little data markers measuring the most minute and seemingly ridiculous tidbits... like 'further distance richoted' or 'most swimming for Wario' or 'maximum number of assist trophies used in a 4 minute battle.' :p

...But if there were a game to premiere downloadable content...

...what in the heck am I saying, Brawl DOES premiere downloadable content. Custom made levels every day! True, it's not characters yet, but hey, it's proven possible by that alone. So yes, DLC is entirely possible, just as Brawl allows for DLS.

Also, it would be intensely nice to learn that Wolf O'Donnell isn't the final unlockable character ;)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Not to spoil anything, but I believe I've seen footage of Toon Link in SSE.

Also, it would be intensely nice to learn that Wolf O'Donnell isn't the final unlockable character ;)
If you want spoiled, here it goes:

Toon Link and Wolf are both unlockable by finding alternate paths in the SSE mode, but serve no purpose in the actual plot. Once unlocked, they don't appear in the story at all.

Algus Underdunk

Smash Journeyman
wow. where'd this discussion go?

Question: When are the speeches by Sakurai at GDC?

I would tip my cap to Sakurai if he played one last mindgame with us and gave us Roy/Mewtwo, and maybe more on the way.
Imagine him just destroying everyone by unveiling Megaman (or some other third party surprise) just to goose us.

I mean heck, everyone who finally relaxed because they imported and thought they unlocked everyone would suddenly cramp right back up again :D

Oh dear me no... I just got a wicked realization. Show of hands, who here has played Pokemon? You know the old trick. Don't include every character in a single game, make two players have to communicate with different copies to unlock everyone...

...I wonder, perhaps, if this is might be what occurs between the US, Japanese, and PAL versions of Brawl :3

Mediator

Smash Journeyman

Ok pples Is DLC possible YES IT IS !!!
Will it happen WHO KNOWS!!!

But there is one thing we do know!!!! The American Release date for brawl is MARCH 9th 2008!!!
There will be no more prophets after that date!!! Hurray!!!

So either way the only way to prove this rumor fake/true is to wait it out. :ohwell:

but unfortunately God did not give me patience s0o0o0o0o0o0o0 I hope some one will spill the beans at GDC or at least prove this is a fake rumor so I can stop hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone feel the same way???

and here is my lulz

it took me way to long to post this :(

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
Imagine him just destroying everyone by unveiling Megaman (or some other third party surprise) just to goose us.

I mean heck, everyone who finally relaxed because they imported and thought they unlocked everyone would suddenly cramp right back up again :D

Oh dear me no... I just got a wicked realization. Show of hands, who here has played Pokemon? You know the old trick. Don't include every character in a single game, make two players have to communicate with different copies to unlock everyone...

...I wonder, perhaps, if this is might be what occurs between the US, Japanese, and PAL versions of Brawl :3
Super Smash Bros Brawl: Red Version and Blue Version FTW!!!

...seriously though, even sakurai isn't THAT cruel. I think.

The Boogerman

Smash Cadet

Ok pples Is DLC possible YES IT IS !!!
Will it happen WHO KNOWS!!!

But there is one thing we do know!!!! The American Release date for brawl is MARCH 9th 2008!!!
There will be no more prophets after that date!!! Hurray!!!

So either way the only way to prove this rumor fake/true is to wait it out. :ohwell:

but unfortunately God did not give me patience s0o0o0o0o0o0o0 I hope some one will spill the beans at GDC or at least prove this is a fake rumor so I can stop hoping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone feel the same way???

and here is my lulz

it took me way to long to post this :(

Are these kinds of posts common here? Sigh.

Well, yeah. If Snakey's source is true, I will pay off my preorder the same day.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Have you actually been to the other sections of the site? If you went to the melee sections you would find all the smart people. Only Brawl Discussion is overrun with dumb.

ilabb

Smash Apprentice
You know, now that I think about it, I thought it was suspicious that Mewtwo and Roy weren't a Pokeball/Assist Trophy respectively...

This is unlikely, but not impossible in the slightest. Sure, maybe the Wii's internal memory couldn't hold two more characters for the Japanese players (which is so incredibly doubtful it couldn't), but you know what? An SD card could easily do it (not many don't have one now anyway)!

Nintendo making people buy additional stuff to play a game? That sounds EXACTLY like something they'd do (Link cable, E-Reader, GBA-to-GCN cord, CLASSIC CONTROLLER, etc)!

Keep in mind that later versions of the game in Japan could easily already include Mewtwo and Roy.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
Sakurai: We have added 5 new characters to brawl for 100 wii points a piece they are Dixie Kong, Parer Mario, Toonzelda/shiek, Mewtwo, and roy.
Us: O BOY(clicks download)
Us: WTF (sakurai's face appears and starts laughing)
We go check our game all characters have bee replaced with rob who can't jump

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Are these kinds of posts common here? Sigh.
Yep, at least for the past month that I've been here anyway. Then there are the ones that are written intelligently by a still unintelligent person. What do you expect? It's the internet.

Nuvia

Smash Ace
Have you actually been to the other sections of the site? If you went to the melee sections you would find all the smart people. Only Brawl Discussion is overrun with dumb.
That's... very discouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom