• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roy and Mewtwo to be in US/PAL version of brawl/DL for japan-PROVEN FAKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
You know something is wrong when GameFAQs is being more mature about this rumor than SmashBoards.
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41465510

This topic sure does seem more mature than this one, and it does have the same content.
Wow, this is a bad sign. Does this mean that GameFAQs is starting to get some members with half a brain, that SWF is entering into a downward spiral from which there is no return, that it's opposite day, I don't know, but this is just unbeleaveable that we are that bad right now.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
Lucario and Marth specific to the JPN version is ludicrous. Its just out of the question.

I personally hope it's true. My cousin is a huge Roy fan and is incredibly disappointed on his...uninclusion (?) in brawl.

TheJalapeno

Smash Ace
I heavily doubt this rumor due to the magnitude of effects of including two characters in one region and not another (for now) would have on the game.

And really. Come on. How reliable does it sound? I'm gonna use common sense and say it's a no go on this one.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
If Roy of all people returns....

Then any and every theory about character relevance no longer can exist as a valid debatable point. Am I cool with it? Hell yea, up that roster boy. =D

but Sakurai....those two people could have been Geno and Megaman. All I want for christmas is Megaman. Please ;A; I BEG YEW!

Dismissing this simply because it has Roy or whatever is silly, and your heading for a punch to the face.

However, if there ever is a smash 4, I don't want to hear any more arguments about character relevance. Just make your support thread and let's see what happens, cause Sakurai sort of said "yo face" to everyone who though otherwise.

When is the GDC conference?

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Oh lord. This is a sad day, just as mas369 has said.

I haven't been here long, nor have I been at GameFAQs long, but over at GameFaqs they actually look smart.

In contribution to the discussion, I have something to add.

I have read the entire 27 pages to the point, so this is not repeated.

Does anyone recall how Sakurai put a little bottom of the stage selection for melee characters? Who's to say that even with a full page of characters, He won't put a button at the bottem for downloaded characters. So now you're going to say "BUT THEN ONLINE ZOMG PROBLEMS 4 PPL THAT DUN HAVE IT". Alright, picture this. Every time a new character is released, a Brawl System Update would be released along with it to remove conflict errors for people that haven't downloaded it. How would this work?

Simple, a new channel. As I call it, the "Brawl Channel" (Yeah, you like that name :p ).

In the menu, there would be 3 button. Download Characters, Brawl Data Update, and "Return to Wii Menu" (You like that too XD ). In the "Download Characters" menu, a list of characters available for download will be presented. Each character could be, say 200 Wii points. That's 2$, not much. Now with a bandwagon of players, in this case, Mewtwo or Roy, let's put that it up at say, 500,000 downloads. Multiply that by 2, and Nintendo makes a easy million dollars. But that's just a small number. Consider how many copies of Brawl will be sold.

The second option, "Brawl Data Update", would do exactly like the name implies. Check for new updates, the new characters, and store them on your Wii or an external hard drive/SD card. With these updates, you will still be able to play online and play a match against the characters you don't have without any conflict. And to prevent Gamesharkers or ActionReplayers to access the data without paying for it, there would be some kind of lock, that prevents GS or AR from accessing it. Say, a pass code encrypted into Brawl's data. Seeing as the data would be external, GS or AR wouldn't normally be able to access it anyway.

And lastly, the "Return to Wii menu" option. Do I need to explain this? XD

The channel itself would be under the "WiiWare" category in the Wii Shop channel. The channel itself is free, but the channel itself uses the Wii points to download your characters.

Storage space? External hard drive or a SD card. No problems there.

Also, Nintendo reps have stated that DLC will work on the Wii. Why not start here? I can expect the same thing for Mario Kart Wii, Only with a "MKii Channel" (You LOVE that XP )

Friends, this is just my personal opinion, but it also might be the most logical path of action if DLC will be a feature. It would also explain why IGN and other reviewers with the english version don't see the light. There could be a little string of code somewhere that would read something like "CHECK_DATA : IF RESULT = TRUE = DISPLAY "DwnldCharacters" FALSE = NODISPLAY"

Well, I've given you all something to chew on. Discuss. All we can do it wait.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I would rather think that if this rumor is true, that soon all JPN versions will be forced to download the characters upon connecting to WiFi if they dont already have them, in order to enter any match. The easiest way to combat the whole "JPN wont be able to fight anyone else" reasoning...

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I haven't been here long, nor have I been at GameFAQs long, but over at GameFaqs they actually look smart.

Does anyone recall how Sakurai put a little bottom of the stage selection for melee characters? Who's to say that even with a full page of characters, He won't put a button at the bottem for downloaded characters. So now you're going to say "BUT THEN ONLINE ZOMG PROBLEMS 4 PPL THAT DUN HAVE IT". Alright, picture this. Every time a new character is released, a Brawl System Update would be released along with it to remove conflict errors for people that haven't downloaded it. How would this work?

Simple, a new channel. As I call it, the "Brawl Channel" (Yeah, you like that name :p ).

In the menu, there would be 3 button. Download Characters, Brawl Data Update, and "Return to Wii Menu" (You like that too XD ). In the "Download Characters" menu, a list of characters available for download will be presented. Each character could be, say 200 Wii points. That's 2$, not much. Now with a bandwagon of players, in this case, Mewtwo or Roy, let's put that it up at say, 500,000 downloads. Multiply that by 2, and Nintendo makes a easy million dollars. But that's just a small number. Consider how many copies of Brawl will be sold.

The second option, "Brawl Data Update", would do exactly like the name implies. Check for new updates, the new characters, and store them on your Wii or an external hard drive/SD card. With these updates, you will still be able to play online and play a match against the characters you don't have without any conflict. And to prevent Gamesharkers or ActionReplayers to access the data without paying for it, there would be some kind of lock, that prevents GS or AR from accessing it. Say, a pass code encrypted into Brawl's data. Seeing as the data would be external, GS or AR wouldn't normally be able to access it anyway.

The channel itself would be under the "WiiWare" category in the Wii Shop channel. The channel itself is free, but the channel itself uses the Wii points to download your characters.

Also, Nintendo reps have stated that DLC will work on the Wii. Why not start here? I can expect the same thing for Mario Kart Wii, Only with a "MKii Channel" (You LOVE that XP )

Friends, this is just my personal opinion, but it also might be the most logical path of action if DLC will be a feature. It would also explain why IGN and other reviewers with the english version don't see the light. There could be a little string of code somewhere that would read something like "CHECK_DATA : IF RESULT = TRUE = DISPLAY "DwnldCharacters" FALSE = NODISPLAY"

Wow, the first completely thought out and well-written possibility to give this rumor credit. Bravo.

Now, my instinct tells me this is bs, just like all the rumors before Brawl's release in Japan (remember Ridley, Baby Bowser and Toon Link making it, but Ice Climbers and Game & Watch were out? 1/5 right). I just don't see it happening, or even being logical. Sakurai seemed to be much more biased towards his home country- as he should be- so making characters tailormade for the American release wouldn't make sense at all to me. But... Then again, Wolf didn't make much sense to me. I lost $5 because of him. So, I'll just keep my mouth shut and wait for the game to come out.

In Vegas, though, this would have to be at least +1,000 on this one.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Thank you staindgrey, I'm glad you enjoyed and read my wall of text.

Indeed it was well thought out, it went through my mind in the 2 hoursish I was reading the whole thread.

It's agreed that making characters specifically for one country wouldn't work. Which is where my wall of text (a theory) kicks in. But definitely, I agree with you.

hectichobo

Smash Ace
Believe it or not, DL content is possible. It's more difficult, but it is possible. They're doing it with guitar hero 3.
Are you serious? Sweetness
Could you give me a link of some proof?

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
TO ALL THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT MEWTWO AND ROY BEING USED ONLINE WHEN OTHERS MAY NOT HAVE THEM:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, has an online mode. You select characters. I played very early in, and had 4 unlocked from the start. However! My opponent was selecting through people I have not unlocked yet.

Case and point? It does not matter if you have them unlocked from the get go or not.[size]

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
TO ALL THE PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT MEWTWO AND ROY BEING USED ONLINE WHEN OTHERS MAY NOT HAVE THEM:

Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, has an online mode. You select characters. I played very early in, and had 4 unlocked from the start. However! My opponent was selecting through people I have not unlocked yet.

Case and point? It does not matter if you have them unlocked from the get go or not.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Lavis, refer to my wall of text. It does matter, if the character is not in your data, there's a conflict. My theory, unless somehow magically Brawl receives the option to download characters in-game, is the most reasonable method. I'm not gloating, I'm stating the facts. Besides, If Nintendo uses that micro-transaction business model with a steady flow of characters, say ~1 a month, Brawl will never die out. Never. There will always be new characters to master, and new brawls to play. And with the money they'd make out of it, they'd be able to make another character and keep some profit.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
@Mirai : Pretty random xD

And to add to my previous post, it would be a looong time before they run out of characters to add. Even if they have to use clones, people will still download them for the sake of completion.

Alright, I nominate Brawl as the first game to break the 10 point barrier. I give it a 12.5/10.

EDIT : Didn't anybody read my wall of text? Ridley might even be possible if the wall of text becomes a reality.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
Simple. Players using characters not in another's system just get routed to another game. Not so difficult really when there's going to be hundreds going at a time.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
Lavis, refer to my wall of text. It does matter, if the character is not in your data, there's a conflict. My theory, unless somehow magically Brawl receives the option to download characters in-game, is the most reasonable method. I'm not gloating, I'm stating the facts. Besides, If Nintendo uses that micro-transaction business model with a steady flow of characters, say ~1 a month, Brawl will never die out. Never. There will always be new characters to master, and new brawls to play. And with the money they'd make out of it, they'd be able to make another character and keep some profit.

Overall, I don't disagree with your theory. However, I somehow doubt they would keep a steady flow of characters. Since this is a relatively new concept for fighting games, we should only expect a few at most.
More over, I also suspect that since the DOJO will stop doing it's updates at the end of March , that we will know all of the available characters (downloadable or otherwise) by then. After all, if the DOJO is going to paint itself as a "guide" of sorts, what good is it if it's missing whole characters.

M.K

Level 55
I read it, and I want to own your babies.

Anyways, I don't see why people are complaining about them possibly being clones. As you can see from the tier list, clones play very differently, and they aren't exactly the same. Best example being Marth and Roy, one's at the top, the other's...just there.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Overall, I don't disagree with your theory. However, I somehow doubt they would keep a steady flow of characters. Since this is a relatively new concept for fighting games, we should only expect a few at most.
More over, I also suspect that since the DOJO will stop doing it's updates at the end of March , that we will know all of the available characters (downloadable or otherwise) by then. After all, if the DOJO is going to paint itself as a "guide" of sorts, what good is it if it's missing whole characters.
The DOJO! will only serve as initial game content. Where did it say it would cover post-game content, such as downloadable characters. I can agree with you on the point where it would be a guide, but again, only for the initial content. Figuring out how to master the downloadable characters is your task. Use them in practice, figure out their abilities, name them yourself. That, or in the Brawl Channel, the stats and moveset would be listed.

Besides, isn't Sakurai known to play mind games? He could be playing one with the end of Dojo!.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Cat, how many times has it been said that nobody is going to be removed?

Read before you post, ktnxbai.

Catastrophaunt

Smash Rookie
*Sigh* If they did make downloadable characters, though, I would kiss my Wii.
Edit: No, I will not read 130pages of people arguing. About nothing plausiable. Thanks for the reassuring words, though.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman

good idea... but i mean, theyve been doing this for years in MMOs with expansion data. Hell ... i think even D2 did it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Case and point? It does not matter if you have them unlocked from the get go or not.
Sakurai already said on the Dojo that if you haven't unlocked a character, but you play someone online who has, you'll just see them anyway. That's not the point.

The point is that if you have downloaded this character who is NOT ON YOUR OPPONENT'S GAME because they haven't downloaded it yet, problems will arise. n the case of not unlocking them, your game already has the data for that character,m you're just not allowed to use it yet. In the case of a possible downloaded character, a game that has not downloaded it yet will not be able to read the character. People can put out whatever explanations they want, but unless they have experience in creating a game from scratch, especially one of this immense caliber, this all simply a waste of time. We'll soon see what can happen and what can't, but I'm still heavily doubting this to be true, only because I cannot picture Sakurai giving other countries something right off the disc that his own home country does not get.

Revven

FrankerZ
The point is that if you have downloaded this character who is NOT ON YOUR OPPONENT'S GAME because they haven't downloaded it yet, problems will arise. n the case of not unlocking them, your game already has the data for that character,m you're just not allowed to use it yet. In the case of a possible downloaded character, a game that has not downloaded it yet will not be able to read the character. People can put out whatever explanations they want, but unless they have experience in creating a game from scratch, especially one of this immense caliber, this all simply a waste of time. We'll soon see what can happen and what can't, but I'm still heavily doubting this to be true, only because I cannot picture Sakurai giving other countries something right off the disc that his own home country does not get.
Roy and Mewtwo's data from the Japanese disk say hi (as do all the other ones that are on the disk). If those are the only DLC characters, I don't see how the disk couldn't just read off the data that it already has stored, you just haven't made them unlockable yet.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
It's OK staind, I answered Lavis already, by referring him to my wall of text. With my theory, there would be no conflicts. To play online, you need the internet, therefore Brawl will be able to check if you have the latest character data. If not, you won't be allowed to go online until you download that data. If you don't have internet, you won't be going online at all, so it makes no difference. Still, it's only my theory. Gotta hope for the best.

Edit : Falco, read my wall of text. Link is now in siggy.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Roy and Mewtwo's data from the Japanese disk say hi (as do all the other ones that are on the disk). If those are the only DLC characters, I don't see how the disk couldn't just read off the data that it already has stored, you just haven't made them unlockable yet.
There are shreds of data for them, but not a complete character. Read into things before using them as evidence to say hello. Balloon Fighter also had data on Melee's debug, so maybe it can say hi as well. My, scraps of extra data sure are friendly!

Anima: I think your theory would work perfectly, but what a lot of people fail to realize is just how complicated such a simple thing would be to create. I agree that Nintendo COULD do it, and I can see them eventually making downloadable content, but I simply cannot see them giving the US two new- er, old- characters right out of the box that Japan doesn't get.

Chepe

Smash Lord
I dont think Roy and Mewtwo are already inside the JPN disc in full though. However, I think Japan versions will be forced to download both characters when they go online after US release. That solves the problem quite easily...

And like someone just pointed out, the people who dont go online would have no problem because they wont be seeing the characters ever. But the first time they go online, presto!

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
I agree with staind. Though it would be funny to play on-line against just a sword or a shoe that's supposed to represent Roy..

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There are shreds of data for them, but not a complete character. Read into things before using them as evidence to say hello. Balloon Fighter also had data on Melee's debug, so maybe it can say hi as well. My, scraps of extra data sure are friendly!
Huh, I have fooled around with Melee's debug menu, and I have come across Ditto, and two unused stages (Akaneia and Ice Top), but I never found any mention to Balloon Fighter.

AnimaBolt

Smash Cadet
Chrono, seeing as you're the wise one to this topic, would you kindly read my theory and give me your opinion on it? The link is in my siggy.

Edit : W00T, I'm a Smash "Child" now. ^^

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
Okay, stupid sounding question: If Roy and Mewtwo are in the US version of Brawl, how are they going to portrayed in SSE?

Chepe

Smash Lord
They either will get a brief mention just like Wolf, Toon Link, and Jigglypuff, or wont appear in it at all.

Plutonium21

Smash Rookie
why would they announce Marth on the American Dojo and then take it out? No, if Roy is in he won't be replacing anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom