• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I found this article about Wii Party from Iwata asks, and it brought up something really interesting about Miis.

Link: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...ii-is-Harder-to-Handle-than-Mario-224412.html

Of course, this could mean anything. Miis have been thrown in lava in Mario Kart, flung into volcanos in Wii Party, and have been eaten by fish in Nintendo Land. But I do have to wonder. Could Mii usage rules keep Mii out of Smash? Is a T-rated fighting game too violent that it causes a violation of the Mii rules?

and of course, I had to find this right when I started opening up to the idea. >_>
Well, you could play as your Mii and beat up on a Mii based off someone you don't like, so I guess that could be something...
I never heard about the "Mii rules" before.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I haven't heard about "Mii Rules" until now either. Maybe I should read more Iwata Asks. :p

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I found this article about Wii Party from Iwata asks, and it brought up something really interesting about Miis.

Link: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-Ask...ii-is-Harder-to-Handle-than-Mario-224412.html

Of course, this could mean anything. Miis have been thrown in lava in Mario Kart, flung into volcanos in Wii Party, and have been eaten by fish in Nintendo Land. But I do have to wonder. Could Mii usage rules keep Mii out of Smash? Is a T-rated fighting game too violent that it causes a violation of the Mii rules?

and of course, I had to find this right when I started opening up to the idea. >_>
Oh wow that's very interesting actually... I still put a lot of faith in that leak but nintendo is the type of company to choose not to include online communication because it might expose kids to things nintendo doesn't have control over, and I could see keeping Mii's out of games where you can just bash on them as a sort of anti-bullying policy. Nintendo would not want kids taking a friends/siblings character and constantly hurting it for fun.

Don't know if smash crosses the line or not... it's a "party" fighting game that although involves harm, it's really a big "sport" game of king of the hill...just with explosions and stuff... don't know the answer here really matters how nintendo decides whats appropriate and what isn't.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
This isn't Nazi Germany. Where we only predict the characters the fuhrer tells us and get banned for being a decent open minded speculator.This is why this thread is ignorant. I've already listed several reasons and evidence for Dry Bowser. You can choose to pretend it doesn't exist if you want. I'm not gonna be around to witness the rambling of these people.

SOMEBODY PREDICTED A CHARACTER WE DIDN'T PREDICT! PIGS CAN FLY, CATS AND DOGS ARE LIVING TOGETHER! SOMEBODY HAS AN OPINION WE DON'T UNDERSTAND! SHUN THE EVIDENCE!!!!
Untitled-3.png

Well, some opinions and predictions are just more likely than others when you consider things.

It's not wrong for you to want Dry Bowser as a transformation, but you do need to realize that some characters/transformations have lower chances than others, and some might not work out well.

Bring open-minded is being able to realize that you might be wrong when evidence comes around, not necessarily meaning that you have to agree with the opposition. You don't seem to consider that Dry Bowser might not be as important and relevant you say he is.

I want that smexy Grovyle from PMD2 in Smash, but I know that he has zilch when it comes to his chances of making the cut.

There's plenty of places you can find arrogant people arguing with each other over the internet. Most people here are reasonable and fair unlike the countless other forums about Smash Bros. Please don't take away that type of quality discussion from me. Noah attention *****s the thread with his "predictions" and you know it as well as I do.

By chat, I meant thread. We were discussing F-Zero characters at one point. We're now arguing 7 people to 1 over why Dry Bowser shouldn't be anything more than just an alternate costume, with the one insisting that he's right while everyone else here is a damned Smash-Nazi. I don't think I'm asking for the moon to be saying that we should have consistently better discussions if it only comes at the expense of banning the one individual claiming the thread as his own.
Yeah, I know he bugs you guys a lot and derails the thread sometimes, but I'm just not getting mad at him over this. XD

EDIT: ****, he's banned.

Starbound

Oh wow that's very interesting actually... I still put a lot of faith in that leak but nintendo is the type of company to choose not to include online communication because it might expose kids to things nintendo doesn't have control over, and I could see keeping Mii's out of games where you can just bash on them as a sort of anti-bullying policy. Nintendo would not want kids taking a friends/siblings character and constantly hurting it for fun.

Don't know if smash crosses the line or not... it's a "party" fighting game that although involves harm, it's really a big "sport" game of king of the hill...just with explosions and stuff... don't know the answer here really matters how nintendo decides whats appropriate and what isn't.
Yeah. It's vague enough that it can't be interpreted as "Miis will never be in Smash! Leak confirmed fraud!", but it's something interesting that we can talk about instead of Fire Emblem or Dry Bowser. :troll:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
It wouldn't be hard to see the news stories if Miis were playable, as full of crap as they'd be.

7 year old child found stabbed by 13 year old brother. Culprit claims in statement that he got idea from hitting his brother's "Mii", a virtual avatar of himself, with sword attacks in the violent video game "Super Smash Bros." Tensions arose and the 13 year old Noah Linderer grabbed a knife out of the kitchen to stab his brother in the same fashion as the game after failing to beat him in the malicious Nintendo fighting game.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'd like Arthur as a character if they put in music tracks, like The Sea of Despair and Baron Rankle's Tower.
It's just that he's already in Ultimate MVC3, so it'd seem weird to me. But of course, Snake previously starred in a fighting game with similar physics to Smash back in 2003...
Not really arguing for Arthur. I just wanted to bring the convo to a better topic. :laugh:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I never had a hunch Miis had a chance anyways.
They missed their spot for Brawl, when they were leagues more relevant.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Just trying to make space and Falco has been in more games then Lucas and I believe will continue to "evolve" his moveset further from being semi-clone to very different, ALSO I see falco's design being different then foxes design "shape" wise...might screw with hitboxes and stuff... these would literally be the same wireframe/polygon with a new skin over it along with some new animations aka attacks (making them only semi-clones) possibly tweaking their speed/power etc... and new voice clips.

It's all just a guess but I feel like that's the best we can hope for that will take less time than designing brand new characters and I'd much rather have some more characters getting into the game in this way than some cut scenes. I limited myself to ten alt costumes just to be "reasonable" but there are tons of other ones you could have.

Not going to hold my breathe for DLC but this is the sort of thing DLC could reasonably be, costumes that are "semi-clones" using the same basic polygon character drawing over it and revamping a few things about it.
Alternate costumes is great for characters who don't have much of a chance of being smash, but to cut characters but leave them as costumes for other characters? That seems cold to me, and it would not do much to alleviate anger felt from removal. If anything, it might lead to more of it. It would better to just cut them. But there are some retro characters it would be nice to see from alternate costumes:
Marth -Sigurd or Seliph (FE 4)
Ness - Ninten (Mother)
Link - Classic Link redesigned (LoZ)
Mega Man - Mega Man X NES style (like in the Mega Man Xtreme games)

I find this very interesting. I do think Smash is worse than those other options because the amount of abuse they would take. I always though they would be even more awkward than the Villager's smile. Because I don't imagine they would be terribly expressive, especially when taking damage.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Here's my latest 43 / 45 roster listed in 4s for the selection screen

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario

Villager
Kirby
MetaKnight
King Dedede

Pit
Palutena
Samus
Ridley

Wii Fit Trainer
Link
Zelda
Ganondorf

Captain Falcon
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Pikachu
JigglyPuff
MewTwo
Genesect

Marth
Chrom
Lyn
Isaac

Olimar
Little Mac
Lucas
Ness

Mr. G&W
R.O.B
Ice Climbers
Takamaru

Mega Man
Pac Man
Sonic
Random

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
They missed their spot for Brawl, when they were leagues more relevant.
Not really, according to Iwata Asks, Sakurai held off on them in order to make Brawl look different from other Wii titles at the time (basically to make Brawl look more for hardcore gamers).

Seeing as they're back on the 3DS and Wii U they haven't really disappeared either. And since Sakurai went back on Villager (for slightly more moral reasons), it's fairly reasonable to think that he'll come back to them.

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
Costume ideas?

Dr. Mario - Mario
Dry Bowser - Bowser
Daisy - Peach
3D Mr. L - Luigi
Classic Wario - Wario
Classic Link / Between Worlds Link - Link
OoT Zelda / SS Zelda - Zelda
Fusion / Classic Samus or Dark Samus - Samus
Dark Pit - Pit
Ninten - Ness
Claus - Lucas
Blood Falcon - Captain Falcon
Masked Marth or Sigurd - Marth
Proto Man - Mega Man (much rather have that than X)
Shadow - Sonic

Hyper Luigi

Smash Ace
If they were to get ambitious with costumes and include different voices then they could make Krystal from Fox, a more complete Lucina from Marth and maybe Roy from Chrom among other possibilities

Mi
Eh...the roster isnt my cup of tea. Seems like reps are being added soley because there new...
Mine?

That's really only true of 3-4 characters of the 13 additions. Chrom and Palutena which seeming both have a good shot and Genesect. If you wanna argue MewTwo due to NewMew then that's still just 4. Genesect being the least worthy IMO but I don't want all the same Pokemon reps.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noah.

If Dry Bowser is important and popular because he appears, then Toad, Bowser Jr., Daisy, Birdo, Waluigi, etc. must be more popular because they appear more. So they would get priority. :rolleyes:

And Nobody really knows if Dry Bowser and Bowser are the same person or not. Bowser turned into Dry Bowser at one point yet they can race each other later at one point. Doesn't really make sense.

Really Noah. You're starting to be a ass again. I was just starting to warm up to you. You're accusing people of lying when they bring up credible arguments.

You want to be respected here. Respect others.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Aww...You guys banned Noah again? He made things interesting to say the least. I couldn't stop laughing reading the last few pages XD

Costume ideas?
A Ninten costume would way too difficult to his default one, which is why he should be a separate character :troll:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noah got banned again?!?

Wow...

That was quick...

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So lets say that for some reason, Sakurai and his team are unable to make certain character gimmicks (ice climbers, PKMN trainer, ZSS, and Zelda-Shiek) to work on the 3DS?

How do you think they will handle that problem? Remove the characters? Separate them? Make then exclusive to the Wii U? Thoughts?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
So lets say that for some reason, Sakurai and his team are unable to make certain character gimmicks (ice climbers, PKMN trainer, ZSS, and Zelda-Shiek) to work on the 3DS?

How do you think they will handle that problem? Remove the characters? Separate them? Make then exclusive to the Wii U? Thoughts?
id like to think that in Ice Climbers case they would just cut it down to Ice Climber instead. make him suitable for the handheld and make him a single character. but on the Wii U version they'd still be a tandam character. idk about the transformation thing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

I don't think it's transformations, moreso AI that's on screen while you're playing as well. And, I think they would just work around it. Not use AI, and make Nana more of an attack, not a second person.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

I'm assuming it's mainly hard to keep too many characters on the screens and such, so I think it's just the Ice Climbers, but Sakurai said multiple combatants after all. Including transformations as per your question, I would say keep the aesthetics the same for both games. So ice climbers will be just one in both games (just ice climber), being able to switch to just nana and popo in the select screen. Pokemon Trainer will be removed in both versions. Zero Suit Samus will get her own slot in both versions. And Sheik would have a slot as well in both versions

D

Deleted member

People need to stop bringing up the whole "T Rated" thing. Smash is first and foremost a Japanese made game. In Japan, all three Smash games have the CERO rating of "A", which is for all ages.
While yes, the Japanese have different standards for what is acceptable for a younger audience than outside it, it also means that having Miis participate in fictional slapstick games of sumo wouldn't really seem that 'bad' to the point Nintendo forbids them from being in Smash.
Especially since, like the examples you brought up, Miis can be flung into volcanos, fall in lava, eaten by fish, etc.
And even beat each other up by boxing, judo, fencing, etc.

As for this interview in question, it's more along the context of things that would disturb a player at the expense of a joke.
Like maybe, it's ok for someone like Mario and Link to drown in games like Super Mario 64 and Majora's Mask or for someone like Wario to be deliberately set running around while on fire and burnt to a crisp/crushed into a pancake/inflated by a bee sting/etc. just to unlock a treasure or travel through the level, but not ok for the same happening to what is essentially the player themselves.
While it's scary enough happening to a fictional character (except Wario; it's downright hilarious when it's him since it's so over the top and is nothing but comedic inconvenience), it's worse when the thought is invoked on the one playing the game themselves.

Smash doesn't really have much to worry about, since the worst a brutal attack will do is send someone flying off the stage. There are some things, such as Snake's neck-snapping and the drowning in Brawl (though that's a little softened due to it just being they get tired from swimming and sink to the blast zone; not like Mario or Link choking to death on water in the previously mentioned games), but it's so much in the minority it won't really matter.
And the worst is some moves (such as again, the neck-snap) would be different on the Mii, much like Sony made NetherRealms alter the Fatalities on Kratos for Mortal Kombat 9 (though that was because they didn't want Kratos to be shown in humiliating situations such as begging for mercy before he is killed and instead try to go down fighting or just pissed off).

....I didn't mean to make this a long rant. I apologize. :crazy:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Ideally, I would hope that they would create DLC, or even better yet, a free update, to add anyone they initially had to cut.

Honestly, if someone like the Ice Climbers couldn't get into the 3DS roster in time, I'd hope they could just add them to the Wii U version regardless.

D

Deleted member

jaytalks said:
But going back to the topic, I don't see how we can have a full roster of returning veterans for Pokemon reps. There should be at least one new one, not including Mewtwo. If it was all returners I would be disappointed.
Ideally, we'd get the Brawl roster and Mewtwo + a new Pokémon (Zoroark, Genesect, etc.), but I have a hard time seeing that happen. I do agree that there are certainly worthy Pokémon characters, but should it come down to Brawl + Mewtwo or dropping one of the Brawl veterans for a new Pokémon, I'm going to take the former choice because those are the best Pokémon choices we have.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
But going back to the topic, I don't see how we can have a full roster of returning veterans for Pokemon reps. There should be at least one new one, not including Mewtwo. If it was all returners I would be disappointed.
I'm thinking different than that. Even if they all return and there's no newcomers, I'd still see Mewtwo as 1/4 veteran and 3/4 newcomer for two reasons: it wouldn't feel old when he can finally coming along with all four Brawl veterans and even better, whenever he got 2nd form. But I can agree that there should have one more newcomer so it would feel completely new to us. I wouldn't mind that when there's no cut going on.

-Pika
-Purin
-P.T.
-Lucario
-Mewtwo (+alt form)

25% disappointed but still fine IMO

-Pika
-P.T., Lucario, or Purin got cut
-Mewtwo (+alt form)
-NEWCOMER

125% disappointed

-Pika
-Purin
-P.T.
-Lucario
-Mewtwo (+alt form)
-NEWCOMER

Orgasms

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ideally, we'd get the Brawl roster + a new Pokémon (Zoroark, Genesect, etc.), but I have a hard time seeing that happen. I do agree that there are certainly worthy Pokémon characters, but should it come down to Brawl + Mewtwo or dropping one of the Brawl veterans for a new Pokémon, I'm going to take the former choice because those are the best Pokémon choices we have.
Hard to see that as well. Brawl basically had 6 characters due to the three from Pokemon Trainer. Thinking it over, I would probably drop Pokemon Trainer over Lucario due to it would give more space to other series.
I'm thinking different than that. Even if they all return and there's no newcomers, I'd still see Mewtwo as 1/4 veteran and 3/4 newcomer for two reasons: it wouldn't feel old when he can finally coming along with all four Brawl veterans and even better, whenever he got 2nd form. But I can agree that there should have one more newcomer so it would feel completely new to us. I wouldn't mind that when there's no cut going on.

-Pika
-Purin
-P.T.
-Lucario
-Mewtwo

FTW!
If Mewtwo doesn't have a new moveset, he is still a 100% veteran to me. My main concern is no one from Pokemon representing that previous Nintendo era (DS and Wii), which I feel is what Smash often does.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Mewtwo doesn't have a new moveset, he is still a 100% veteran to me. My main concern is no one from Pokemon representing that previous Nintendo era (DS and Wii), which I feel is what Smash often does.
:lucario: doesn't represent the DS and Wii era?

Besides, if Mewtwo returned, he would probably have Newtwo as a new form like :sheilda:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
:lucario: doesn't represent the DS and Wii era?

Besides, if Mewtwo returned, he would probably have Newtwo as a new form like :sheilda:
I meant the previous Nintendo era. Lucario was in Diamon and Pearl, which was released in 2006. While Brawl was released in 2008. So he represents that Nintendo era. I usually split it as GBA, GC, and early DS, & late DS, Early 3DS, and Wii, but I didn't make that distinction in that last comment. I really split between Smash Bros. From 2008 to 2014, there needs to be a pokemon rep from that generation in Smash.

Depends on the in game mechanics. If a trainer finds him in some cave and catches him in just his Awakening form, then he should just be in his awakening.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Honestly, as long as Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and Mewtwo (of either/both kinds) make it in as Pokemon representatives, I will be content. If Lucario makes it in as well, then the series gets a bonus privilege of having no characters cut.

So here's a classic little debate: Takamaru or Lip, who would make more sense as a retro character (assuming Little Mac gets in/isn't seen as retro) this time around? Japan-only NES hero with series cameos in Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land, or Japan-only puzzle-game representative heroine with a handful of references already in Smash Bros.?

Starbound

I like the idea of Takamaru more. I find he's got more material to work with, such as fireballs, ninja stars and ninja smoke.

From what I've seen of Lip, she just has her stick and the puzzle blocks.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Honestly, as long as Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, and Mewtwo (of either/both kinds) make it in as Pokemon representatives, I will be content. If Lucario makes it in as well, then the series gets a bonus privilege of having no characters cut.

So here's a classic little debate: Takamaru or Lip, who would make more sense as a retro character (assuming Little Mac gets in/isn't seen as retro) this time around? Japan-only NES hero with series cameos in Samurai Warriors 3 and Nintendo Land, or Japan-only puzzle-game representative heroine with a handful of references already in Smash Bros.?
I often think of them as a pair as well, since they are both sort of retro and japan only characters. Tetris attack has had a little representation in smash already as one of kirby's rock transformations and the lip stick. Takamaru hasn't really though he's been revived a bit more in other ways and seems to have more fan support. I like the idea of both of them tho I know we will most likely only get one or the other if that, and although I think most people will say Takamaru has a better chance thats really only going on what people around here keep guessing in all honestly lip has about the same chance.

Personally this is a tough choice for me, tetris attack is one of my favorite games and i'd love to see it reped however I never played the japanese version so i'm not all that attached to lip herself just like the idea of the game getting a rep. Takamaru i have no attachment to, besides recently playing his nintendo land game, but I really like the idea of a samurai since its unique and putting him in smash could revive his series which has really great potential..lip at best would get us panel de pon games in the states but what I want in the long run shouldnt really be in consideration for who I want in smash but it might be on sakurai's mind to revive series (like kid icarus).

tough choice in both likeliness and who I'd want, honestly kind of thinking we'll see balloon fighter or mach rider as the retro rep, no real reasoning just a feeling sakurai likes them, but I'd rather have either of these two instead.

If I could choose the retro rep, Duck Hunt Dog all the way.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Personally, Hakkun and Lip would make a better pair, being Japan-only and representing SNES puzzle games.
Hakuun has no chance, though. I do hope he appears as an Assist Trophy.
Just to clarify; only meant as a pair when picking roster spots, they both fill the same place and I can never pick both and make a realistic roster.

Susi

Smash Apprentice
Try to look for characters in the backrounds of brawl stages! Brawl had D3 from Melee's Dream Land and Smash U will at least have Villager from Brawls Smashville.

PS2 has some Pokemon on it etc...

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
personally i would side with Lip. i feel she could bring something a little more unique and creative to the table than Takamaru could. but as to who has a better chance, its probably Takamaru.

D

Deleted member

You know who should be in Smash?
This guy right here:

He's too memetic worldwide not to include. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom