• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I absolutely do not see Earthbound getting 3 reps and, if they do, it would be ridiculous. Earthbound is a finished series with no plans to reboot it. If we were to get Ninten/Masked Man, I should be to replace Ness/Lucas which I don't see. Assuming they add a third rep, that means it has one more rep over DK, Fire Emblem, two over Metroid, Nd the same as Star Fox despite being not as popular or relevant as those mentioned. A fourth rep would be both ridiculous, over-represented, and even criminal because there are many other deserving characters out there. Oh btw I do support Masked Man but I don't support a 3rd EB rep.
but masked man is fine to be added with the other two

plus a lot of those characters could still make it in. Metroid only really needs Ridley, DK only really needs K. Rool, and we don't know what'll happen with Star Fox and Fire Emblem for sure.

granted i will admit as the biggest supporter of him here i'll still say it would suck if some series don't get a rep and mother does (Kinda like how a bunch of series got newcomers and Metroid got... zero boob samus) but it's totally plausible to be added with others. It just depends on the direction the roster is going. Will we see more new series, or will Sakurai complete some series?

replacing lucas and ness at this point is just stupid

Yeah, ****ing hilarious. :glare:
I have now become Habanero 2.0.

together habanero, we will take over this entire board with snide remarks. :awesome:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I absolutely do not see Earthbound getting 3 reps and, if they do, it would be ridiculous. Earthbound is a finished series with no plans to reboot it. If we were to get Ninten/Masked Man, I should be to replace Ness/Lucas which I don't see. Assuming they add a third rep, that means it has one more rep over DK, Fire Emblem, two over Metroid, Nd the same as Star Fox despite being not as popular or relevant as those mentioned. A fourth rep would be both ridiculous, over-represented, and even criminal because there are many other deserving characters out there. Oh btw I do support Masked Man but I don't support a 3rd EB rep.
If we get one it would be porky, also we are due to get one in ssb5 I assume, the pool of cool characters will start to drop and some of the lesser characters will come to the front, I think porky will have alot of support around that time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Yeah, ****ing hilarious. :glare:
Only strengthens my point. :troll:

If we get one it would be porky, also we are due to get one in ssb5 I assume, the pool of cool characters will start to drop and some of the lesser characters will come to the front, I think porky will have alot of support around that time.
Eh, even I'm not that confident.

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
You know, I think I've figured Noah out. The word "might" seems to be his scapegoat. We can't prove that Ninten is impossible, and he's trying to use that to say that he's a good choice. Let me just say that every video game character that meets these two standards (refer below) MIGHT get in, but they aren't all good choices by any means. Most are actually bad (considering there are probably thousands of possibilities).

Standard 1: Appeared on Nintendo at least once

Standard 2: Originated in a video game

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
If there was a time a mother rep was popular, it was Masked Man, and that's because Mother 3 was very fresh while most of the other games have aged.

If they add in Masked Man (or maybe Porky) it'll be on importance and possible remake, NOT demand (most characters I've shown before get in due to importance anyways)

MagnesD3

Smash Master
If there was a time a mother rep was popular, it was Masked Man, and that's because Mother 3 was very fresh while most of the other games have aged.

If they add in Masked Man (or maybe Porky) it'll be on importance and possible remake, NOT demand (most characters I've shown before get in due to importance anyways)
Well we are getting earthbound ported to wii u, so if that sells then expect to get a mother 3 port (the fan translators said they would help for free) and possibly a mother 1 port.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
but masked man is fine to be added with the other two

plus a lot of those characters could still make it in. Metroid only really needs Ridley, DK only really needs K. Rool, and we don't know what'll happen with Star Fox and Fire Emblem for sure.

granted i will admit as the biggest supporter of him here i'll still say it would suck if some series don't get a rep and mother does (Kinda like how a bunch of series got newcomers and Metroid got... zero boob samus) but it's totally plausible to be added with others. It just depends on the direction the roster is going. Will we see more new series, or will Sakurai complete some series?

replacing lucas and ness at this point is just stupid

I thought the Masked Man would have been in Brawl after the Lucas announcement. I feel if he was to be included, it would have been then.

But I don't think Earthbound deserves 3 reps. Yes, there are several characters that should get into the game such as Ridz but I also think there are many characters more deserving of a spot compared to a 3rd EB character such as Little Mac, Palutena, Isaac, Shulk, Dixie, Saki, etc.

Just my opinion on EB. I know I'm being hypocritical since I support both Ridley and Dark Samus as well as King K. Rool and Dixie Kong.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I wouldn't be so sure about the whole allowing them to help thing because that never works out but hey, there's a first for everything, and the reasons we thought earthbound DIDN'T get ported were the wrong ones. I'm hoping for Mother 1 and Mother 3 they just remake them entirely though. Mother 3 has perfect potential as shown from the N64 to what it can do on the 3DS (OoT from N64 to 3DS, just look up Mother 3's N64 version that never released) and Mother 1 is quite honestly (I play a lot of RPG's) a downright... terrible game. It has it's merits, though.

A remake for Earthbound would also be nice but I just don't see it yet. Give it a gen or at least three years.
Also can we make it to 100 before the trailer?

I thought the Masked Man would have been in Brawl after the Lucas announcement. I feel if he was to be included, it would have been then.
I know how you feel. It should have been then, and that goes for other characters like Isaac but...

But I don't think Earthbound deserves 3 reps. Yes, there are several characters that should get into the game such as Ridz but I also think there are many characters more deserving of a spot compared to a 3rd EB character such as Little Mac, Palutena, Isaac, Shulk, Dixie, Saki, etc.
I wouldn't say that on Dixie and I'm not too sure on Saki (Plus there's still Isa) but there are a few characters that are overall easily more deserving than Masked Man.

As long as most series that are plausible to get a +1 rep, I think Earthbound can get away with 3 reps. We've seen other crossovers get away with worse, and they're called out on it just as much as Smash. Besides, asides from a bit too much representation, what could you possibly complain about it? "Wine my favorite character didn't get in"? Not really.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm hoping for Mother 1 and Mother 3 they just remake them entirely though.
Actually, I would much rather see a cross-over between the three games. I don't remember when each game takes place, but I think it would be a really cool concept. The fighting similarities between Ness, Ninten, and Lucas would be taken out too, as they don't actually have any attack moves in common. My only concern is what would be done with Paula, Anna, and Kumatora (and Lloyd and Jeff). Overall, I'd still support this project even if the supporting cast was similar.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Actually, I would much rather see a cross-over between the three games. I don't remember when each game takes place, but I think it would be a really cool concept. The fighting similarities between Ness, Ninten, and Lucas would be taken out too, as they don't actually have any attack moves in common. My only concern is what would be done with Paula, Anna, and Kumatora (and Lloyd and Jeff). Overall, I'd still support this project even if the supporting cast was similar.
...why

I mean I don't oppose it but it's kinda like unneeded. The games aren't even that connected for the most part.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The idea just seems too farfetched to me.

At present I can only hope that someone else picks up the reins of the Mother series and makes an official Mother 4.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You know, I think I've figured Noah out. The word "might" seems to be his scapegoat. We can't prove that Ninten is impossible, and he's trying to use that to say that he's a good choice. Let me just say that every video game character that meets these two standards (refer below) MIGHT get in, but they aren't all good choices by any means. Most are actually bad (considering there are probably thousands of possibilities).

Standard 1: Appeared on Nintendo at least once

Standard 2: Originated in a video game

When I say might get in that means it's possible. Like I wouldn't say Frogger MIGHT get in. He originated as a video game and has been on Nintendo consoles. but, there are several reasons why he won't get in. I predict Ninten will get in. I believe in the likeliness that he will. It's not really up to us who is a good choice. That's up to sakurai. I'm saying he's a good choice because he's the remaining Mother protagonist and has become more famous over the years than he originally was. I mean saying he doesn't work because he's not VERY popular or because he looks similar to Ness is agreeable too. Both of what we said is true.

It's just a prediction.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want lots of newcomers in SSB4 but I hope to see at least 12 newcomers. If any of my unlikely wanted characters (Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, Tingle, Starfy, Captain N, etc.) actually get in, I would be full of joy! But at this time, I just want Toad and Little Mac at the very least (crosses fingers for Toad especially).

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
...why

I mean I don't oppose it but it's kinda like unneeded. The games aren't even that connected for the most part.
It seem like the only way to fully bring back the series. I don't mean starting Mother up again and making 4, 5, 6, etc. I mean bringing series to current gamers and inspiring them to go back and play each characters games, which would promote ports of both Mother 1 and Mother 3.

The idea itself seems really awkward, I know, but if it can be done right, Mother could get really popular.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

This is an ALTERNATE roster, I'm always up for improvement. I'd like to take suggestions so I can better it.

D

Deleted member

Idk I think capcom was trolling, they do it alot, (like megaman x costume in umvc3).
No they weren't. Keiji Inafune suggested the joke idea before he left, thinking it would be a funny joke that the community would laugh at. If it weren't for the bad timing of the game, it wouldn't have been met with such mixed receptions.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
When I say might get in that means it's possible.
I know. I just said that that's been your scapegoat this entire, which I just said in the comment you replied to.

I predict Ninten will get in. I believe in the likeliness that he will.
Why Ninten over someone more popular, iconic, and relevent? The game being the first one doesn't matter, so don't you dare use that.

and has become more famous over the years than he originally was.
source?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
there was also amaterasu with a jon talbain costume which was totally trolling

This is an ALTERNATE roster, I'm always up for improvement. I'd like to take suggestions so I can better it.
I'll just comment on the main roster more

-put masked man into ninten's
-erika makes no sense
- Trainer 2 and no Lucario? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Excuse me while I laugh
-...Bomberman?
-...Skull Kid?
-Sheri- I'll let this one slide
.-...Starfy?
-why would you even pay to put geno as an assist trophy? (only "other stuff" I have a complaint about)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
12-14 newcomers sounds like the best choice this time around, honestly. especially since until further notice, i DON'T see many single franchises getting in.

At this point, it would be a smarter to think about looking into new franchises implemented onto the roster. I say this because the ones we currently have hardly warrant new characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I know. I just said that that's been your scapegoat this entire, which I just said in the comment you replied to.

Why Ninten over someone more popular, iconic, and relevent? The game being the first one doesn't matter, so don't you dare use that.

source?
Source for Ninten's popularity: All the people over the internet who talk about and love Ninten and make tons of fan art even, + Really Hardcore Mother fans. I can't give ALL the links

+ I think because there are only 3 games that's a good reason. To pay tribute to all 3 Mother installments. That's why I predict him. But I also predict the alternate choice of Masked Man as well.

@Noah
The roster took a turn for the worse, to be honest.
Why is that? (also it's not my official final roster)

EDIT: AAAAAH, DOUBLE POST! :facepalm:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Source for Ninten's popularity: All the people over the internet who talk about and love Ninten and make tons of fan art even, + Really Hardcore Mother fans. I can't give ALL the links

+ I think because there are only 3 games that's a good reason. To pay tribute to all 3 Mother installments. That's why I predict him. But I also predict the alternate choice of Masked Man as well.
You can give us some sources though. Also if we were to get a Mother 1 rep, I think the best choice would be Giygas as he was feasible in that game and can represent the villians. I'm not sure if he uses PSI though.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

I realize the fan art all over the internet, but there's pretty much fan art for absolutely everything that's ever been in existence and even nonexistent to an extent for that matter.

I can't respond to the second half because I deliberately told you not to bring up the fact that it was the first of three games (or anything that translates into that). I suppose I could respond with::facepalm:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

-erika makes no sense
-...Bomberman?
-...Skull Kid?
.-...Starfy?
-why would you even pay to put geno as an assist trophy? (only "other stuff" I have a complaint about)
You haven't said WHY...

(also you'll find very few roster still have Lucario.)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Double standards ftw.

Matthew is a better choice than Isaac because only "hardcore" fans would recognize Isaac, and yet Ninten is popular because "hardcore" Mother fans make fan-art and actually give a **** about him. :facepalm:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I know how you feel. It should have been then, and that goes for other characters like Isaac but...

I wouldn't say that on Dixie and I'm not too sure on Saki (Plus there's still Isa) but there are a few characters that are overall easily more deserving than Masked Man.
Yeah I threw those two in because, well, I'd love to see them playable.

As long as most series that are plausible to get a +1 rep, I think Earthbound can get away with 3 reps. We've seen other crossovers get away with worse, and they're called out on it just as much as Smash. Besides, asides from a bit too much representation, what could you possibly complain about it? "Wine my favorite character didn't get in"? Not really.
Or whine about over-representation. Some people whine about Mario, LoZ, Pokemon, and Star Fox being over-representated.

A EB remake would surely boost a 3rd character rep's possibility. But at this time, I don't think the series deserves 3 reps. We shall see though if Nintendo does anything with it - it still has potential.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

-erika makes no sense
-...Bomberman?
-...Skull Kid?
.-...Starfy?
was jon talbain really wanted bad? I know megaman x was the most requested capcom character for umvc3 i believe.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I know, but he still has a good chance at getting back in.
That ultimately depends on how Sakurai went about building the roster. For example, the difference between your method and mine is that mine would warrant the removal of Lucario while yours warrants his stay.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
That ultimately depends on how Sakurai went about building the roster. For example, the difference between your method and mine is that mine would warrant the removal of Lucario while yours warrants his stay.
If sakurai has learned anything he should have learned fans dont like when you are an indian giver with characters, lucario being taken away would almost assure his popularity to skyrocket for the next game to have him return...

I just want them to change several of lucario's specials an make them fit his type better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom