• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not sure what's so hard to understand about: They were both planned for Brawl. MewTwo just missed out because they ran out of time.
The proof is in the code.
But what code? I thought they were just file folders with nothing inside. No codes, no models, no nothing.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
But it does show they were planned at some point. Whether that's at the conceptialization stage or the development stage, we don't know. For all we know, those folders could of had files and data in it but could of been deleted at some point.

So, while its not code, there is still some proof that they were planned early on but canned for some reason.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Why you have so many chars? Every rooster you think is "decent" have more than 42...
Just... surrender. 48+ char would be incredible... but the problems that will come with it won't make it possible.
Try balancing 48 chars...

So for the people who didn't comment on my rooster yet, I will repost. Just 40 chars... remember that.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeag
Since the prediction roster I posted the other day got merged with an old post and buried away where no one will see it, here it is:

Notes:
- I put Chrom there very reluctantly. I expect the FE rep to have an equal chance of being Robin(gender changeable), Lucina or Roy. But I think we will only get 3 FE reps max so only one of these four most likely candidates.

- I think we may get up to twoish more characters than this. I didn't want to mess with the pretty design of the image though. Also the final couple become extremely hard to predict for me.
But I'd say someone out of Dixie, Megaman, Next gen pokemon (or Zoroark), Mii, Bowser Jr/Toad and Isaac.
For the sake of my prediction I'll go with the first two but I'm nowhere near as convinced about those two as the ones on the image.
Dillon, Toon Zelda and Saki were considered too but didn't quite cut it for me.

- Yes it's a safe conservative roster. That's exactly what I predict.
Yeah this is a very safe roster, I expect all of this except chrom and 3 more surprises.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Rosalina over Ridley, Jiggz, R.O.B., Falco, Lucario, and tons of other deserving characters?

Lyn? AC human? Marth/Lucina? Ghirahim? This is a **** roster, sir. No lyin'. It works less than a prediction roster and more of a "wanna-be but failing prediction roster." Nothing in it impresses me save for the illogical inclusion sub-par characters and the axing of veterans and popular characters. You try to be logical but it fails. You can keep the roster to a minimum but keep in mind of popular trends. Of course, we can't predict the nature of SSB4's roster but, in terms of prediction rosters, there is a certain formula that is followed. It's ok to take risks - in fact that's encouraged, but yours just takes the entire roster from 64 up, shots on it, takes out important characters, and replaces them with sub-par/gimmicks. Your roster focuses more so on eliminating characters rather than including characters in order to keep your roster count low.

Unless Sakurai was to restructure the entire roster, I could never see anything like this happening. The only redeeming part of this roster is K. Rool and ..... Umm.... Shulk I guess.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Why you have so many chars? Every rooster you think is "decent" have more than 42...
Just... surrender. 48+ char would be incredible... but the problems that will come with it won't make it possible.

So for the people who didn't comment on my rooster yet, I will repost. Just 40 chars... remember that.

Are we required to comment on your roster? Well ok. Ummm this roster seem unrealistic. Its interesting at best. But really. Jin? Rosalina? Cutting Jiggs, Ike, Falco, and ROB?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noah. Have you heard about the forbidden seven? They were characters that were planned to be in at some point. A couple of them probably would have gotten in if Sonic hadn't gotten in and we had gotten more time.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Rosalina getting in over more deserving characters.........wat? (I would like to have Rosalina but Ridley, and a few others would get in way before her.)

Imp replacing Shiek.

Krystal replacing Falco.......wat?

AC rep.......not likely in the slightest.

Marth sharing a slot with Lucina? Yeah......no.

Cutting Jigglypuff and R.O.B.? No.....

D

Deleted member

Bleh, not feeling like predicting much anymore until E3.
Since the prediction roster I posted the other day got merged with an old post and buried away where no one will see it, here it is:

Notes:
- I put Chrom there very reluctantly. I expect the FE rep to have an equal chance of being Robin(gender changeable), Lucina or Roy. But I think we will only get 3 FE reps max so only one of these four most likely candidates.

- I think we may get up to twoish more characters than this. I didn't want to mess with the pretty design of the image though. Also the final couple become extremely hard to predict for me.
But I'd say someone out of Dixie, Megaman, Next gen pokemon (or Zoroark), Mii, Bowser Jr/Toad and Isaac.
For the sake of my prediction I'll go with the first two but I'm nowhere near as convinced about those two as the ones on the image.
Dillon, Toon Zelda and Saki were considered too but didn't quite cut it for me.

- Yes it's a safe conservative roster. That's exactly what I predict.
Good roster. Only things I disagree with is us getting just conventional choices and Pac-Man (though that's something we'll have to agree to disagree on until at least the trailer comes around).

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
In my point of view, is unrealistic think that this new SSB won't have characters cutted.
And I seriously want Ike to stay, but please... the chances are so small.The same goes for R.O.B.
Jiggs and Falco removals are really difficult bet... But I will go with this.
About Lin, you're right, her chances are small.But trying more female characters maybe? And about Rosalina , is my bet in Mario Franchise and not "OVER RIDLEY".
It's just... Samus = Metroid. And we already have ZSS.
----------------
While some people says K.Rool and Shulk are the more problably, I don't really believe in any of them.Let's see the truth in a few days.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

NamcoBandi has been in charge of balancing rosters of 48+ character before (namely Tekken Tag and many Dragon ball games.) so why couldn't they do it again?

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
In my point of view, is unrealistic think that this new SSB won't have characters cutted.
And I seriously want Ike to stay, but please... the chances are so small.The same goes for R.O.B.
About Lin, you're right, her chances are small.But trying more female characters maybe? And about Rosalina , is my bet in Mario Franchise and not "OVER RIDLEY".
----------------
While some people says K.Rool and Shulk are the more problably, I don't really believe in any of them.Let's see the truth in a few days.
Wouldn't it make more sense to keep everyone that was in Brawl, so it'll be easier to fill up the roster?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
----------------
How does R.O.B. have a low chance of returning? Really. What is your logic?

Adding someone just because their female is a terrible reason.

Metroid is a lot more than Samus. Just saying.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Bleh, not feeling like predicting much anymore until E3.Good roster. Only things I disagree with is us getting just conventional choices
Yeah that's my only worry. Mostly conventional characters when we have come to expect one or two unconventional wtf characters per game.
But they are too hard to predict so I just left that one alone. Perhaps a customisable Mii or Robin might fit that bill?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Lol, you're only defenses are to just tell me I'm doing what YOU'RE doing. That's about as good of a comeback as "No, you are" Just make stuff up and read into things that aren't there. That'll prove your point. :cool:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
----------------
I really don't see characters getting cut. But to each his own.
I don't think it would. Plus you risk angering the fanbase more then actually pleasing them.
Ok. (About Rosalina)
So let's not include the most important Metroid villain. Samus isn't the only thing that makes up Metroid.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
----------------
It is realistic to consider cuts. We saw the doctor, young link, Mewtwo, pichu, and Roy cut. That's 5. But you have cut out Ike, Marth (stand alone), R.O.B., Jigglypuff, Falco, Shiek, and Snake. I think it's unrealistic to suggest that there will be that many cuts -especially since many fans were originally angered about cuts. Then you cut characters such as Jigglypuff whose been in since 64 and Falco who is a fan favorite. Finally, you replace Ike with Lyn and make Marth into a gimmick. You add literally four FE characters as opposed to Kirby's three and Metroids 1. As well, Marth and Ike are easily the most famous Lords in both the West and Japan. Yet you take out Ike? Where's that logic?

As well, you chose unpopular and unlikely characters such as Rosalina just to "include more females." That is horrible logic. A character should never be included based on archetypes or demographics. In order to be chosen, the character has to be attractive, pull in players, be interesting, and work well in Smash.

Sakurai has stated none if the AC characters fit in Smash. Rosalina and Lyn are not popular enough. Nor is Impa compared to Shiek. Pacman is much more well known than Jin but, of course, a Namco rep will always be a wolf card.

And Metroid is way more than about Samys. Ridley is one of the most requested characters and is pivotal to the Metroid plot not to mention he appears in just about every game.

And there's no way we will know the entire roster in a few days. Your logic is flawed and you mask it with a fainting "I may be right I may be wrong." Stick to your guns.

D

Deleted member

Very last prediction roster before the trailer (and this time for serious).

Pretty much the same as before except that I've cut Snake. I have a bad feeling that he'll be axed.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I really don't see characters getting cut. But to each his own..
I went with that too. But then again we didn't expect any cuts like Roy or MewTwo.
If there's a last minute rush then things like that may very well happen again. Wolf seems like the most likely candidate to me with Lucario at risk too.
We know that Wolf was the last prioritised character to make it in last minute. He certainly hasn't gone up in priority since then.

Thankfully this time we have the possibility of DLC so we might get any cut characters back anyway, just at a later date.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well to be fair, we don't really have a warning about cuts this time around, unlike during pre-Brawl where Sakurai warned about characters being possibly cut.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If there is going to be cuts again, I expect Sakurai to mention them after Smash 4's unveil, like what happened with Brawl's unveil. However, honestly, I don't think there is any reason for anyone to go this time.

Also, I still think Snake is more likely to return than not, however, he is overall the most likely character to be cut. I may have to re-assess that though. If MGS5 or a port of MGR does not get announced during the week of E3, I will start to think Snake is more likely to be cut than return.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
If there is going to be cuts again, I expect Sakurai to mention them after Smash 4's unveil, like what happened with Brawl's unveil. However, honestly, I don't think there is any reason for anyone to go this time.

Also, I still think Snake is more likely to return than not, however, he is overall the most likely character to be cut. I may have to re-assess that though. If MGS5 or a port of MGR does not get announced during the week of E3, I will start to think Snake is more likely to be cut than return.
I'm hoping that there won't be any stupid rumors, like the Brawl one with Ice Climbers and G&W being replaced, but I'm sure they'll spread anyway.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Lol, you're only defenses are to just tell me I'm doing what YOU'RE doing. That's about as good of a comeback as "No, you are" Just make stuff up and read into things that aren't there. That'll prove your point. :cool:
Defense to what exactly?

D

Deleted member

Well to be fair, we don't really have a warning about cuts this time around, unlike during pre-Brawl where Sakurai warned about characters being possibly cut.
Fair enough, although my doubts about Snake mainly comes from him being a guest and the possibility that Sakurai may seem him as too stale to return (which could be a big issue given his third-party status). Although I will say that I don't see a MGS5/MGR no-show as an issue given that Nintendo history has yet to contribute to a character's inclusion.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Fair enough, although my doubts about Snake mainly comes from him being a guest and the possibility that Sakurai may seem him as too stale to return (which could be a big issue given his third-party status). Although I will say that I don't see a MGS5/MGR no-show as an issue given that Nintendo history has yet to contribute to a character's inclusion.
see him as too stale? Whats too stale about him? He has a ton of new things to draw upon this time around, especially if he gets a big boss redesign or even just an alt costume.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Stale? Wut?

In all seriousness, I don't think Snake is going anywhere.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Noah your roster is only better than New_Dumals...and that's not difficult to do. Your possible characters are also pretty much unlikely. Skull kid and metal mario? Seriously?

My roster in this thread to be judged by my peers before E3. Have at it ya filthy animals.

Mario series: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr.
DK series: DK, Diddy, K. Rool
Yoshi series: Yoshi
Warioware: Wario
Legend of Zelda: Link, Zelda/Sheik, Toon Link, Ganondorf
Metroid: Samus/ZSS, Ridley
Pokemon: Pikachu, Jiggs, PKMN Trainer (unchanged), Mewtwo
Kirby Series: Kirby, Dedede, Metaknight
Starfox: Fox, Falco, Wolf
FE: Marth, Ike, Roy
Mother/Earthbound: Ness, Lucas
F-Zero: Cpt Falcon, Samurai Goroh
Pikmin: Olimar
Retro: Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Pit, Takamaru, Little Mac
3rd Party: Snake, Sonic, Lloyd Irving
New Series: Shulk, Isaac

Possibilities: Dr. Mario swapped for Jr., Chrom swapped for Roy, Lucario isn't cut. These possibilities are just decisionsni think may happen. Really not too much logic.

P.S. Rooster =/= roster

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Noah your roster is only better than New_Dumals...and that's not difficult to do. Your possible characters are also pretty much unlikely. Skull kid and metal mario? Seriously?

My roster in this thread to be judged by my peers before E3. Have at it ya filthy animals.

Possibilities: Dr. Mario swapped for Jr., Chrom swapped for Roy, Lucario isn't cut. These possibilities are just decisionsni think may happen. Really not too much logic.

P.S. Rooster =/= roster
Actually. That's pretty good.

I'd just add Lucario back in (you commented on that but it should definitely happen) and add Megaman and Palutena.

Also for the record. Pit and Little Mac are not retro series anymore.

D

Deleted member

P.S. Rooster =/= roster
Really good roster here. The only thing I would do is to bring back Lucario given that he's been heavily advertised by the Pokémon Company and that there isn't any reason why we can't have both Mewtwo and Lucario in the same game. I also doubt a Namco rep, but it's not an issue considering that you picked the one with the best shot of getting in (and by extent the only one I could see myself being wrong about).

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Hey guys here's my Smash 4 roster:

48 character slots, what do you guys think?
Hmmm, pretty decent for a realistic roster. I think there might only be 40-to-45 characters, though.
Four third-parties looks like too much for a roster of this size. Maybe cut it to three and replace one of them with Issac or Matthew.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So for the people who didn't comment on my rooster yet, I will repost.

Great rooster. Best I've seen.

SteelerD24

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
Stee#185
Hmmm, pretty decent for a realistic roster. I think there might only be 40-to-45 characters, though.
Four third-parties looks like too much for a roster of this size. Maybe cut it to three and replace one of them with Issac or Matthew.
Eh I don't think 48 is too big because two of the characters are just returning from melee, making only 11 newcomers. As for the third party thing, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Eh I don't think 48 is too big because two of the characters are just returning from melee, making only 11 newcomers. As for the third part party, we'll just to agree to disagree.
Personally, I'd like to have both Megaman and another third party rep, but I'm just taking Sakurai's words on size limits seriously.

Rooster as a roster typo never gets old. :laugh:
I hope that one doesn't get cutted.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Noah's is attacking my roster?

Oh, I'm moved by his comments. :joyful:

@Noah, in all seriousness,