• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
you dont even know the definition of the word. Look it up, and youll find what im doing is posting an opinion.
You don't want Pac-Man? Ok. I don't care because you can like and dislike whatever you want. Thats your opinion and i respect that.

Claiming that Pac-Man can't do anything and then claiming you've seen the video i posted and saying that the statement you made about Pac-Man not being able to do anything was an opinion is idiotic. It just proves you're lying.

Also, no one said you were starting a flame war. You just assumed that on your own.

Once again, no one is trying to force you to like the idea of Pac-Man. You just shouldn't make claims that are incredibly idiotic to begin with because you obviously don't know a thing about Pac-Man himself.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm surprised that there is no historic rep.
There are.
Veterans R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers, as well as newcomers Lip, Prince Sable, Muddy Mole and Mach Rider.

Anyway, that roster wasn't realistic in the first place. Fact is that all characters can be considered historic, since they all come from a Nintendo's history.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There are.
Veterans R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers, as well as newcomers Lip, Prince Sable, Muddy Mole and Mach Rider.

Anyway, that roster wasn't realistic in the first place. Fact is that all characters can be considered historic, since they all come from a Nintendo's history.
There no new one I meant.
Ice Climbers is a retro rep, G&W and R.O.B. are historic reps.

Also theres a Konami pre-E3 if you guys wanna check it.
http://events.konami.com/

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There no new one I meant.
Ice Climbers is a retro rep, G&W and R.O.B. are historic reps.
R.O.B. and Ice Climbers are from around the same time. Check the release dates of the game Ice Climber and the R.O.B. accessory:

Ice Climber:
JP January 30, 1985
NA October 18, 1985
EU September 1, 1986

R.O.B.:
JP July 26, 1985
NA October 18, 1985
EU September 1, 1986

Both are retro/historical characters. What sort of criteria are you using to say that Ice Climbers are retro and R.O.B. is historical, when both words mean the same thing and both made debut in the same year?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
historic reps are anything Nintendo related that are either products of Nintendo (Mr. Hanafuda and R.O.B.), or a really old Nintendo character (Mr. Game & Watch and Sheriff)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
historic reps are anything Nintendo related that are either products of Nintendo (Mr. Hanafuda and R.O.B.), or a really old Nintendo character (Mr. Game & Watch and Sheriff)
Look, there aren't much retro characters to pick up from the early 80's anymore. Also, historical and retro mean the same thing as words, so I'm not buying your arbitrary criteria.

Sheriff is seldom requested and would probably receive a redesign so drastic, even the hardcore Nintendo fans wouldn't recognize him if it weren't for the name. Also, that character is bland, since he's just a generic cowboy with a generic name.

Mr. Hanafuda DOESN'T ****ING EXIST, being nothing more than a fan made character made by none other than you. Hanafuda would be best represented by something else other than a character. A hanafuda mini-game or stage would be good enough representation, because not every series has to be represented by characters, like what happens with Animal Crossing, Electroplankton and PictoChat.

Browny

Smash Hater
You don't want Pac-Man? Ok. I don't care because you can like and dislike whatever you want. Thats your opinion and i respect that.

Claiming that Pac-Man can't do anything and then claiming you've seen the video i posted and saying that the statement you made about Pac-Man not being able to do anything was an opinion is idiotic. It just proves you're lying.

Also, no one said you were starting a flame war. You just assumed that on your own.

Once again, no one is trying to force you to like the idea of Pac-Man. You just shouldn't make claims that are incredibly idiotic to begin with because you obviously don't know a thing about Pac-Man himself.
No, I did see the video beforehand. It still does nothing to convince me that hes a suitable SMASH BROS character. theres a lot more to being a smash bros character than being able to impart a force onto another characters body.

Ive seen similar things from people with detailed movesets on how mr resetti and starfy and balloon fighter would be in smash. It sounds good on paper but they all have the same flaw. They would have to be incredibly shoe-horned to smash' style and changed so dramatically that they hardly resemble themselves anymore, simply to fight in smash and they wouldnt be unique at all. You could get pacmans entire moveset in that video and attach it to an eyeball with arms and legs and it would suit.

Thats the issue here. Yeah I'll admit I was being harsh and basically wrong with the 'he cant do anything' call. I'll reword that in that he cant do anything thats unique to make him distinguishable from any other character. Some characters in smash stretch it thin enough with how bland and non-unique they are (like luigi and toon link) but at least they have a ton of history behind them.

Ugh theres just so many reasons I cbf naming them all. But whatever pacman has going for him, every other suggested newcomer is more worthy by a significant margin.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
No, I did see the video beforehand. It still does nothing to convince me that hes a suitable SMASH BROS character. theres a lot more to being a smash bros character than being able to impart a force onto another characters body.

Ive seen similar things from people with detailed movesets on how mr resetti and starfy and balloon fighter would be in smash. It sounds good on paper but they all have the same flaw. They would have to be incredibly shoe-horned to smash' style and changed so dramatically that they hardly resemble themselves anymore, simply to fight in smash and they wouldnt be unique at all. You could get pacmans entire moveset in that video and attach it to an eyeball with arms and legs and it would suit.

Thats the issue here. Yeah I'll admit I was being harsh and basically wrong with the 'he cant do anything' call. I'll reword that in that he cant do anything thats unique to make him distinguishable from any other character. Some characters in smash stretch it thin enough with how bland and non-unique they are (like luigi and toon link) but at least they have a ton of history behind them.

Ugh theres just so many reasons I cbf naming them all. But whatever pacman has going for him, every other suggested newcomer is more worthy by a significant margin.
Alright. Thats much better. I apologize for snapping at you but i'm tired of seeing people using the same argument that you used a page back.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Look, there aren't much retro characters to pick up from the early 80's anymore. Also, historical and retro mean the same thing as words, so I'm not buying your arbitrary criteria.

Sheriff is seldom requested and would probably receive a redesign so drastic, even the hardcore Nintendo fans wouldn't recognize him if it weren't for the name. Also, that character is bland, since he's just a generic cowboy with a generic name.

Mr. Hanafuda DOESN'T ****ING EXIST, being nothing more than a fan made character made by none other than you. Hanafuda would be best represented by something else other than a character. A hanafuda mini-game or stage would be good enough representation, because not every series has to be represented by characters, like what happens with Animal Crossing, Electroplankton and PictoChat.
All I am doing is explaining a difference between kinds of reps, not talking about characters.
Let's just called them per-historical Nintendo reps, meaning that they are products or very early characters Nintendo created.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Really? :sadeyes:

But ok N3ON I see where you are coming from, but everyone is different. Not everyone will see things the same way, at least not entirely. I always enjoy seeing your posts though.
We should all look at the roster from Sakurai's POV. He loves all Nintendo games, and has a respect for each one of them.

Also N3ON I do have a back up for Micaiah, it is called Robin.

And despite all of the love I give Micaiah, she is definitely not my most wanted character. Ghirahim and Shulk are easily above her.

Just letting you know ;)

Hey, now, don't take it to heart.

I only ignore your rosters, not each and every post.
My entire rosters? Or just parts?

Just wondering.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Is that Mona's pizza?

Yes, but Jimmy's bringing it to Smash. :troll:

Real talk though, a WarioWare character aside from the eponymous dude would be epic. So unfortunately unlikely, but still.

Seriously, how can anyone dislike this swagasaurus?

[/quote]

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Only parts of it.

Mostly Matthew (I strongly believe the GS rep will be Isaac) and Micaiah (Too late for her inclusion.)

It's fascinating how much we agree. My only real problem with DSN's rosters (Since he started re-including Ridley and K. Rool) are those exact two things.

Only parts of it.

Mostly Matthew (I strongly believe the GS rep will be Isaac) and Micaiah (Too late for her inclusion.)
I just believe in Matthew since he was the hero in the start of the main story. Although Adult Isaac could still be the choice.

Micaiah stands out to me because of her class type, recency in latest console game, and importance in said game.

I mainly use her ot make the roster different, and not just sword users. Robin is my back-up choice though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Like this? :troll:

Props if you can find Roy in the picture!
Exactly. :awesome::troll:

And wow, that picture looks awesome! :awesome:

And Roy is the character with ロイ written above, because that's how you write Roy in Japanese. (And with this, I learned how to read those two kana. :p)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Someone mentioned earlier that Sakurai stated he thought Brawl roster was perfect or great. I liked it as well. To be honest, the biggest let down was the cuts and No Megaman, other than that perfect. Brawl's gameplay is a different story.

I would be happy with Smash 4 if we just got the following characters:

Ridley, King K Rool, Mewtwo, Megaman, Pac-Man, No cuts, and perhaps a new fun character like Little Mac and/or Takamaru.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm so glad I wasn't here last night for Noah ********.

My only disappointment with the Brawl roster is the incredible lack of Isaac. He would fit perfectly as spot #36 and it's very hard to think of a character that doesn't go with that. If they had Isaac, it'd be 10/10 in my book.

D

Deleted member

Like this? :troll:

Props if you can find Roy in the picture!
A Dynasty Warriors/Samurai Warriors/Warriors Orochi styled Fire Emblem title?
I'm throwing money at the screen and nothing is happening.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't really take much for me to be satisfied with SSB4's roster. They could bring back Brawl's roster and add Mewtwo, King K. Rool and Mega Man and I would be satisfied.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Look I totally disagree with some of Noah's points and his roster but is there any reason that everyone in this thread is riding him for it. I mean, can you not disagree with him nicely?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Look I totally disagree with some of Noah's points and his roster but is there any reason that everyone in this thread is riding him for it. I mean, can you not disagree with him nicely?
We wanted to, but it's hard to be nice when the other side is behaving arrogantly. Nor does he listen to any of our criticisms.

Initially it was hilarious, but it slowly became hellish.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
He also doesn't want to accept that Bomberman is currently a dead franchise (:() and that Monolith Soft is first party. derp

D

Deleted member

Ike got in Brawl because he was the most recent FE hero, and since Chrom is the recent hero now, I figure Ike MIGHT be dropped. So I added Lyn as the female hero. I originally had Marth, Leif, Chrom, and Ike. And then I had Marth, Eirika, Chrom, and Ike. But, I finally came to this decision and added my past alternatives at the bottom in case they make it. also Lyn could take Ike's B forward & B up move. She uses the up in Blazing Sword and the forward in Brawl. Where as Roy could take the B and B down move.

This thread moves too damn fast for me to keep up, but this is the one thing that caught my eye while skimming some pages that I just had to address.

Ok, look, I've been the biggest loudmouth around here for Lyn support for Smash4. Hell I've been pushing for her since the pre-Brawl days, and I'll tell you one thing.

If Lyn ever got in in the way you mentioned. I'd probably boycott the game out of sheer anger (ok, maybe not really, but I needed something dramatic to say). Not only because Ike got cut, but because they of the sheer injustice done to both Ike and Lyn by doing that. Lyn's biggest merit is being a completely unique and original character out of the available FE options with tons of competitive potential. If she got added as some ****ty Ike knock-off I'd be all kinds of mad.

You wanna see good reasons as to why Lyn should be added, go check out her support thread. But I'll tell you one thing, she's never getting in over Ike. No one is. He's the most popular Lord in the West, and mighty popular in the East too.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd be down for Lyn. While I question her overall importance to the franchise as a whole, she was included in Brawl as an AT so Sakurai is obviously aware of her. Whether this translates to playable character material, I can't say for sure. Fire Emblem is always a wild card in Smash.

Since we are throwing out characters we would be content with being included, id be content with these three: Megaman, Ridz, and Saki.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
This thread moves too damn fast for me to keep up.

Okay, I made a new roster. This one is no way realistic (it has 74 characters!), but follows a certain set of rules...
See if you can figure out by yourself without opening the spoiler tag!

View attachment 789

[collapse="The Spoiler Tag"]The roster's main criteria is that all veteran series except Yoshi's Island, Pikmin and retro series (Ice Climber, R.O.B. and Game & Watch) get at least 4 characters, while adding several new series, all represented by only one character.
All veterans return, except Young Link and Pichu.[/collapse]

I warn again: THIS IS NOT A REALISTIC ROSTER. Though I had some of Sakurai's criteria in consideration.
Another note is that Waluigi is considered part of the main Mario series (Mushroom icon), despite being grouped with the Wario characters.
1. I love how you thought of the Melee clones, but it's too weird for me to have Dr. Mario there, while Pichu and Young Link remain cut.

I don't mind just having Roy, since he first appeared in Melee before FE6, and he was one of the first Fire Emblem characters us westerners saw, but if the other clones aren't in, I don't see why Dr. Mario should be in either.

Either have all the Melee clones, or none at all. (not counting Roy)
Replace Doc with either Paper Mario or Bowser Jr.
Don't take this to mean that I hate the clones, though. ;)

2. The Wario series and Kid Icarus series are over-represented compared to other franchises on your roster.
Wario should have three slots. (Syrup and a Wario-Ware character), while KI should have two, or possibly 3 slots. (Sakurai bias?)
I'm counting Waluigi as a Mario series character, btw, so I'm not saying he should be cut.

3. I think Mother should only have 3 slots, since it only has 3 games. Porky/Pokey appears in both Mother 2 and 3, so he'd be a better villain choice. (although I'd like to see Lucas and
Claus
duel it out in Smash)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I've been told that a Namco rep tweeted something about Smash. It has been confirmed that there will be a trailer on Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom