• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have a question about Roy is he only popular because of Smash or because his games are considered better than most FE games
In Japan, FE6 is among the Top 5 most popular games in the FE series, but in the West, Roy's popularity (FE6 was never released internationally) comes mostly from Melee.

I posted a review aggregate of the entire FE series from Japan's most popular game review website. I need to find it. But it ended up that the two most highly rated titles were FE6 and FE7 (although FE5 had a higher rating, it had far less reviews than any other FE game on the site, which makes me think only hardcore FE fans reviewed FE5 on that site).

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Jiiiiiiigglypuuuuuuff Jiggaleeeeiieeee pufffff. Go to sleep guys. Let her soothing voice put your anger at ease as you drift off into a comfortable slumber...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ugh...

I remember why we dread FE debates.

In the end of the day... Roy and Chrom both have good chances. We can't truly predict what Sakurai will do. We just need to wait and see.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think we should just all stop talking about FE for now.

I do think the best case scenario for Smash 4 would be:
1. Marth
2. Roy
3. Ike
4. My Unit or Anna

Roy fans get Roy back, while FE13 fans get a character to represent FE13 (and contrasts with the rest of the playable FE roster).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So...

How about Zelda newcomers?

Toon Zelda the only likely one?

I think the real question is if FE6 got popular because of Smash Bros in Japan.

FE6 was the revival of the series. I believe that's the main reason it got so popular. Plus its just a good game.

I'm sure Melee had some part, but I highly doubt it was the main reason.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
In Japan, FE6 is among the Top 5 most popular games in the FE series, but in the West, Roy's popularity (FE6 was never released internationally) comes mostly from Melee.

I posted a review aggregate of the entire FE series from Japan's most popular game review website. I need to find it. But it ended up that the two most highly rated titles were FE6 and FE7 (although FE5 had a higher rating, it had far less reviews than any other FE game on the site, which makes me think only hardcore FE fans reviewed FE5 on that site).
This is the one, right?

I looked at a Japanese review site for their opinions on the Fire Emblem series, and unsurprisingly their outlook on the FE series is pretty consistent:

FE3 (VC): 71 points (received a letter grade of C though, I guess VC games have a harsher grading system)
FE4 (VC): 75 points (received a letter grade of C though, I guess VC games have a harsher grading system)
FE5 (VC): 82 points (no letter grade due to not enough reviews)
FE6: 78 points (A)
FE7: 78 points (A)
FE8: 65 points (C)
FE9: 73 points (A)
FE10: 75 points (A)
FE11: 60 points (C)
FE12: 75 points (A)
FE13: 70 points (B)

It pretty much matches up with what I said before that the only two FE games I see a lot of hate for in Japan are FE8 and FE11.

*Note all review aggregates for the NES/Famicom, SNES/SFC, and N64 games below are from those rating the Virtual Console versions.

Some other curious things from the website:
Super Metroid: 84 points (B) (pretty much confirms that VC games have a harsher grade scale for a letter grade in regards to points)
Panel de Pon: 76 points (no letter grade due to not enough reviews)
A Link To The Past: 83 points (B)
Majora's Mask: 84 points (no letter grade)
F-Zero X: 75 points (C)
Star Fox 64: 75 points (C)
Ocarina of Time: 81 points (B)
Super Mario 64: 76 points (C)
Super Mario RPG: 68 points (C)
F-Zero: 80 points (B)
Super Mario World: 72 points (C)
Paper Mario: 76 points (C)
Nazo no Murasame: Only one review for it and he gave it 38 points
Super Mario Bros. 3: 87 points (B)
Metroid: Only one review, 72 points
Punch-Out: only two reviews, 75 points
Super Smash Bros.: 72 points (C)
Custom Robo V2: 81 points (B)
Metroid Other M: 55 points (D) (BWAAHAHAHA, the Japanese hated Other M too)
Metroid Prime 2 Wii Version: 76 points (C)
Metroid Prime Wii Version: 83 points (B)
Metroid Prime 3: 80 points (A)
Mother 3: 66 points (C) (I actually heard Mother 3 was pretty divisive in Japan)
Metroid Fusion: 73 points (B)
Metroid Zero Mission: 76 points (B)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 74 points (B)
Metroid Prime: 75 points (A)
Metroid Prime 2: 68 points (C)
Resident Evil 4 (GCN): 81 points (S)
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 83 points (S) (Wow, I guess the Japanese have a strong liking to Melee too)
Star Fox Adventures: 52 points (D) (I said before the Japanese hated the post-64 SF games)
Star Fox Assault: 59 points (D) (more hate for post-64 Star Fox)
F-Zero GX: 82 points S (I applaud the Japanese for rating this game so highly)
Star Fox Command: 64 points (C)

Could not find reviews for FE1 and FE2 on the VC.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
This defense is in opinion. Of coarse you think it's invalid, just like everyone else thinks yours is.
Chrom & Eliwood being equal to the importance of Roy & Marth is an opinion? Since when?

I
By your logic, Leif is more important than Roy since not only does Leif have a major role in more than one game, but like Roy, both games either star him or someone tied to him by blood. Interesting fact is that Leif is Seliph's cousin.
But, is Leif as popular and unique as Roy? No I think not.

And Leif is just a palette swap of Marth? Sure, if you only look at Marth's white palette and not at all at what Leif actually looks like. But I know you have; you used to have Leif on your old rosters as a Marth clone.
Yes, I forgot about his different colored hair which is still the same hairstyle nonetheless. How unique

People change their rosters a lot. Didn't you use to have Duck Hunt Dog, Gooey, & Prof. Layton? Not to mention those rosters were more suggestive and not entirely predictions.

Saying Leif is just a Marth palette swap is the same thing as saying Roy is.
...............how?

And no, "how the game is received" is not proof on who is more important to a franchise. Nor does being in Smash. Or is Jigglypuff more important to the Pokémon franchise because she's been in Smash longer than the Pokémon Trainer?
Maybe I should rephrase that it makes him more popular, which led to his prequel and this popularity from Smash may make him important to intelligent systems. Which again supposedly led to the prequel.

D

Deleted member

So...

How about Zelda newcomers?

Toon Zelda the only likely one?
I think we're stuck with the four from Brawl. Toon Zelda could appear and is probably the most likely right now, but I think she's very low on priority if she even gets planned.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think the real question is if FE6 got popular because of Smash Bros in Japan.
Its kind of like Twilight Princess/Wind Waker syndrome. When it was released, older fans thought it was worse than FE3/FE4, but as more subsequent games got released, they regarded FE6/FE7 as being superior to nearly anything that came after them (and the fans that started with FE6/FE7 regard those two as being better than even FE3/FE4 because of them being "dated", kind of like how people who love Wind Waker and Twilight Princess say they prefer those games over Ocarina due to it being "dated").

D

Deleted member

It seems like the argument arose from someone beefing about Satuirn choosing Roy over Chrom, Saturn used reasons that seemed flaw for most people, and Chrom fans dogpiled on him, which pissed him off, and he used a much more aggrivated and aggressive tone due to said dogpiling.

I think the Chrom fanbase and Saturn are both in the wrong here (Chrom fanboys shouldn't dogpile), however, I can understand why Saturn got pissed off.

The point is that Roy does have legitimate reasons to come back for Smash 4 (and over Chrom). Just because FE13 is the most recent Fire Emblem, does not necessarily make Chrom the best choice for a third FE character (or even the best choice for a FE13 character in general).
Again with the "evil Chrom fan" propaganda.
Being fans of Chrom has nothing to do with this. Hell, I couldn't give two ****s about Chrom considering I'd rather see the very unlikely Walhart instead of him. Walhart.

You are honestly the reason I don't care about Roy either. All your unwarranted attacks on Chrom fans simply for being Chrom fans while praising Roy to high hell has made me sick of him.
It reminds me of Diddy Kong and his obsession with Impa to where he constantly trashes Sheik and her fans.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Jiiiiiiigglypuuuuuuff Jiggaleeeeiieeee pufffff. Go to sleep guys. Let her soothing voice put your anger at ease as you drift of into a comfortable slumber...
It's nice to see people like you on a thread I lose faith in every now and then.

I'm still glad I chose Tactician. I'm the only one not having his character preference attacked. :estatic:
You like Tactitian!? LOL, Whatever! Leave the thread right now! Talking to you is a waste of time! :psycho:
Please know that I am joking :)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Again with the "evil Chrom fan" propaganda.
Being fans of Chrom has nothing to do with this. Hell, I couldn't give two ****s about Chrom considering I'd rather see the very unlikely Walhart instead of him. Walhart.

You are honestly the reason I don't care about Roy either. All your unwarranted attacks on Chrom fans simply for being Chrom fans while praising Roy to high hell has made me sick of him.
It reminds me of Diddy Kong and his obsession with Impa to where he constantly trashes Sheik and her fans.
Are you always angry?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Exaggeration much? Wanna point out where he praises Roy to high hell and attacks Chrom fans "for being Chrom fans"?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are you always angry?
It's Golden.

He's like a friendlier Habanero.

Exaggeration much? Wanna point out where he praises Roy to high hell and attacks Chrom fans "for being Chrom fans"?

Admittedly, Chrono can be very aggressive with propaganda. Very agressive.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Right because we already have Bowser to represent the family. BOWSER JR. DISCONFIRMED!
I would say more so that it makes Junior less necessary. What I mean to say is that I feel representation of family is important to the Fire Emblem roster in terms of variety and necessary additions.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm going to restart and hopefully end it at the same time.

Saturn, while I respect your opinion that families matter, I disagree for x, y, and z, and won't tolerate you trying to force it onto other people (Golden being the prime example, though I can't say he was much better). Can we agree to disagree and move on to something less aggravating?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to restart and hopefully end it at the same time.

Saturn, while I respect your opinion that families matter, I disagree for x, y, and z, and won't tolerate you trying to force it onto other people (Golden being the prime example, though I can't say he was much better). Can we agree to disagree and move on to something less aggravating?
Well, at least I wasn't TRYING to force it. Would have been less problematic not to assume that as many people continue to point out what they think is true. So, yes we can agree to disagree.

D

Deleted member

It's Golden.

He's like a friendlier Habanero.
Funny thing is that I have higher degrees of both friendliness and viciousness (well, I wouldn't call Habanero vicious; I need a better word here....surly, maybe?).
It's like Habanero's vibes are sandwiched between two slices of Golden vibes. (That totally doesn't sound wrong....)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Funny thing is that I have higher degrees of both friendliness and viciousness (well, I wouldn't call Habanero vicious; I need a better word here....surly, maybe?).
It's like Habanero's vibes are sandwiched between two slices of Golden vibes. (That totally doesn't sound wrong....)
Extra Crispy!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And vice versa.

Really.

Everyone drop the subject.

This is getting ridiculous.
I did not attack him personally or drop profanity when talking about him.

I have no grudge against him, however, it seems a lot of people here have very long memories it seems.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I wanna see friendly Golden. (not saying you aren't, just never seen him).

I think Habanero is just a quirky individual with witty bites at people.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
And vice versa.

Really.

Everyone drop the subject.

This is getting ridiculous.
Are you kidding?

This is highly entertaining.

Besides, better we vent it now rather than build it up for later. Noah's just going to repeat this kind of **** again if we let him get away with logic as horribly flawed as what he said tonight. We'd be more irresponsible to let him think "representing different families" is an actually valid argument. You really want that on your conscience next time this inevitably happens?

I'd partake more if, you know, Noah didn't have me on ignore and I could actually contribute something to the opposition. Or if Rebellious Treecko or ChronoBound would respond to me...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I did not attack him personally.
Are you always angry?

Look. Let's just move on to something else.

We were all a bit dickish. Let's actually have fun eh?

Are you kidding?

This is highly entertaining.

Besides, better we vent it now rather than build it up for later. Noah's just going to repeat this kind of **** again if we let him get away with logic as horribly flawed as what he said tonight. We'd be more irresponsible to let him think "representing different families" is an actually valid argument. You really want that on your conscience next time this inevitably happens?
Not when Golden and Chrono get into this.

I respect them too much to want to see them do this.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Whenever people get pissy over something in this thread, we always know that Fire Emblem is to blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom