• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Answer me this, guys:
Which sounds more important?

The guy that was a major character for two games in a franchise (one of which, he was the main character in)?
or
The guy that was a main character in one game, and a cameo as a child in another where Daddy was the main character?
Top one because I think its Leif.

and Leaf is gr9.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Exactly. Why would one be rude to a person and then wonder why they got yelled at?
Exactly.

Learn from the words he speaks.

Let us all learn from Lotus' words.

He is a wise flower.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Top one because I think its Leif.

and Leaf is gr9.
If I recall Leif's game was not as well received (don't quote me on it) and he IS kind of a pallete swap of Marth. And he didn't have the glory from Smash.

GLAD TO SEE WE'RE BACK AT A CIVIL DISCUSSION. Care to join us, Golden?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't know. You tell me.
If you go back you'll see the post that started this flame war was "Shut up" which was a quote by golden. So I was really the only one who had a reason to be rude. (even though I wasn't the first response, because I do my best to stay civil)

So I can't tell you why one would be rude and the complain that he got yelled at. Ask Golden.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I'd say the top. But against a character with only one appearance, the bottom, You can choose to disagree with it if you want and you can also choose to flame about it. I don't try to deny that you're flaming after posting "Shut up" and "You have no credibility".

I do have credibility considering I get along very well with a MAJORITY of a users (most of which I consider to be kinder and much more organized and unbias.)
A majority of users. Being the ones that haven't talked to you before.

I think the problem is less of the amount of people you get along with and more along lines of how when you don't get along with someone, you make a complete ass of yourself.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think I actually like that other parts of the Internet don't require manners to have discussions.
They don't. But, people are usually decent enough to not be rude. However it is hilarious that they would complain and wonder why the person they are rude to is rude back to them. That's like a thing on forums if not Smash Boards specifically.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
If you go back you'll see the post that started this flame war was "Shut up" which was a quote by golden. So I was really the only one who had a reason to be rude. (even though I wasn't the first response, because I do my best to stay civil)
Actually, here's what your conversation with Golden looked like to me:

You: Prove me wrong!

Golden: Prove yourself right!

You Prove me wrong!

Essentially, I was READING a broken record!

D

Deleted member

**** it, might as well compare Roy and Chrom:

Roy:
+ Extremely highly requested (Top 5 overall, him and Mewtwo are above every newcomer by a considerable margin in Japan). One of the few who's inclusion could be influenced by popularity.
+ Was in Super Smash Bros. Melee, so he has already appeared in a game.
+ Planned for Brawl, only cut due to time constraints.
+ Virtually guarantee if there are four Fire Emblem characters (which isn't likely, but still plausible).
+ Handpicked by Sakurai himself (Ike was the suggestion of IS).
+ Swords of Seals (which allows for use of multiple weapons such as healing) and emphasis on fire properties can help make Roy stand out.

- Low priority character; will not get in over Marth and Ike.
- Chrom will probably take priority if he is in.
- Competition from an Awakening rep.

Chrom:
+ If in, would take priority over Roy and possibly Ike.
+ Being able to change into different classes to utilize different weapons.
+ Recency isn't a determining factor, but it is enough to get Chrom noticed.
+ Fire Emblem: Awakening is an important title; it saved the franchise (although I doubt Chrom was the reason, but might as well put that out there).
+ Most wanted Fire Emblem newcomer (less than Roy, but still a positive).
+ Could feasibly get into a two slot Fire Emblem situation (although this only happens if Sakurai must cut Ike due to time constraints, not as an outright replacement)

- Not very unique without his class weapons/tag team duo.
- Faces competition from not only Roy, but also Lucina, so Chrom could still miss out even in a four slot situation.
- Sakurai may not see the need to include another Lord with Marth, Ike and Roy already available (and no, IS can't tell Sakurai what to do; they're not the Pokémon Company)

Both:
+ Well-received lord
+ Very highly received (although FE13 maybe less so in Japan)

- Could very well be a semi-clone (man, I wish we would get an unique Leaf with all of his Master Knight weapons, that'd be so frickin' awesome)

Bajef8

Smash Ace
None considering it was sarcastic entirely.
Good.

Here's my 2 cents, from someone who has never played the series.

I like Roy because he was cool to use in Smash. His popularity for me, and a lot of non-FE players (only assuming here, don't murder me) stems from him existing in Smash. The only reason I'd like him to be in SSB4 is because of me liking him in Melee. That's it. I see no reason for him to return aside from the fact that he was in the series once before, and he wasn't another version of the same person, he was a unique character from the FE world. But that's it. From what it sounds like, he appeared in the series a minuscule amount and is not even really recent.

To me it sounds like a case of how-should-Sakurai-pick-Pokemon-itus. He'll go to IS and be like, gimme the hot ticket guy. Sounds like it'll be Chrom since he is "big thing" for the series right now. It's obvious the big 2, ie Marth and Ike will pretty much be back. It also sounds as though there isn't a recurring character who even gets near the amount of times Marth or even Ike have been featured.

In conclusion, I'd like Roy back because I played as him, enjoyed him in Melee, but that's really it. I'm not expecting him back. I'm fully expecting Chrom at this point. I think Chrom has a bit more going for him seeing as Chrom and Roy seem to be in about the same boat. They both appear as the protagonist once. Roy was in the game once. Chrom has the recency factor. I think that's why Chrom has the edge. Had Roy done a bit more in FE, I'd assume he'd stand out as the obvious 3rd rep. But that isn't the case unfortunately.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Actually, here's what your conversation with Golden looked like to me:

You: Being part of a recurring family that represents you makes you more represented and thus more important by some length

You: I just did

Golden: That doesn't count according to us unqualified fans. Just Shut up, you have no credibility
Fix'd

Even with the weirdly percepted version it wasn't me laughing at him and telling him to Shut up. How was what he said any less than what I said (in your perception of what happened)?

Good.

Here's my 2 cents, from someone who has never played the series.

I like Roy because he was cool to use in Smash. His popularity for me, and a lot of non-FE players (only assuming here, don't murder me) stems from him existing in Smash. The only reason I'd like him to be in SSB4 is because of me liking him in Melee. That's it. I see no reason for him to return aside from the fact that he was in the series once before, and he wasn't another version of the same person, he was a unique character from the FE world. But that's it. From what it sounds like, he appeared in the series a minuscule amount and is not even really recent.

To me it sounds like a case of how-should-Sakurai-pick-Pokemon-itus. He'll go to IS and be like, gimme the hot ticket guy. Sounds like it'll be Chrom since he is "big thing" for the series right now. It's obvious the big 2, ie Marth and Ike will pretty much be back. It also sounds as though there isn't a recurring character who even gets near the amount of times Marth or even Ike have been featured.

In conclusion, I'd like Roy back because I played as him, enjoyed him in Melee, but that's really it. I'm not expecting him back. I'm fully expecting Chrom at this point. I think Chrom has a lot more going for him seeing as Chrom and Roy seem to be in about the same boat. They both appear as the protagonist once. Roy was in the game once. Chrom has the recency factor. I think that's why Chrom has the edge. Had Roy done a bit more in FE, I'd assume he'd stand out as the obvious 3rd rep. But that isn't the case unfortunately.
And he could very well get in for being recent. But, that doesn't shun Roy from all his importance to the series.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Saturn wants to put Roy on his roster over Chrom, why are people giving him a hard time? Roy just as much has a chance of getting in Smash 4 as Chrom does.

I think people who merely assume "most recent = shoe-in" are using pretty flawed logic. I mean we got Olimar over any Pikmin 3 protagonist, and Toon Link over ALBW's "child" Link.

D

Deleted member

For DK, I support King K. Rool and I'd love to see him in, though I also wouldn't mind Dixie alongside him.

I do have to wonder how much the opinions have changed over the past few months, surely with the reveal of the game and the like, they may've swayed one way or another. For instance, Zoroark's probably not at second place anymore with the passing of its generation.
ChronoBound did note that demand for Zoroark was falling ever since the announcement of Pokémon X & Y. I'd assume that Zoroark's fan base has collapsed by now. Rest should be the same, barring 5th gen Pokémons.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If Saturn wants to put Roy on his roster over Chrom, why are people giving him a hard time? Roy just as much has a chance of getting in Smash 4 as Chrom does.

I think people who merely assume "most recent = shoe-in" are using pretty flawed logic. I mean we got Olimar over any Pikmin 3 protagonist, and Toon Link over ALBW's "child" Link.
Hold the phone Chrono.

It's not his stance people dislike.

It's his attitude.

I see what you're doing. Don't do it. Not right now. This is coming from a fellow Roy supporter.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

When people disagree with something, but can't entirely prove their side right, usually the last resort is being a ****.

D

Deleted member

It has nothing to do with his support of Roy. Had he not reinstated the same BS arguments like family line for Roy over and over again, people wouldn't mind, but he did and it is pissing us off. Heck, it reminded me why I put him on ignore in the first place.

In short, Saturn is being an ***hole and I don't appreciate that from anyone.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Fix'd

Even with the weirdly percepted version it wasn't me laughing at him and telling him to Shut up. How was what he said any less than what I said (in your perception of what happened)?

And he could very well get in for being recent. But, that doesn't shun Roy from all his importance to the series.
Important to Smash? More than Chrom obviously.
Important to FE? From the consensus on the recent posts about Roy's FE importance, Roy doesn't seem to have much. Then again Chrom doesn't seem to either. It really, in my mind, boils down to the 2 factors that differentiate their chances:
Roy was in Melee
Chrom is more recent
Really it's up in the air as to how or who Sakurai will pick the 3rd FE rep (if there is one), but these are the only factors I see affecting the decision.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Hold the phone Chrono.

It's not his stance people dislike.

It's his attitude.

I see what you're doing. Don't do it. Not right now. This is coming from a fellow Roy supporter.
Let's talk about Golden's Attitude

1. Shut up
  2. You have no credibility
What attitude did you expect me to use in response to that Swampasaur? I'm not your *****. Honestly is it that complicated?

BOWSER JR. CONFIRMED!
I fail to see how this compares

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, Eliwood is the most popular FE7 lord in Japan, and you could say Eliwood is basically a Roy MKII in aesthetics (like how Celice was basically a Marth MKII, and Lucina a Marth MKIII), or maybe even a continuation of him. Saying that Roy basically is the most integral lord to the Elibe arc does have precedence, considering he is the most popular and well-known one, and within the "Red vs. Blue" DLC arc for FE13, it was Roy who commanding the armies of the entire GBA trilogy (even the Magvel game) while Ike was commanding Tellius.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Not sure what the problem is. He's not being any more of an arsehole than the lot of you at the moment.

----
Finally, I like this guy.
Well, Eliwood is the most popular FE7 lord in Japan, and you could say Eliwood is basically a Roy MKII in aesthetics
Which is basically why I consider it advertising and representing Roy, thus adding to his importance to the series. I really don't see where the bull **** in that is.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
*sigh* I want to *****-slap you really badly.

You make two comparisons: Eliwood is the father of Roy, and Chrom is the late descendant of Marth. Marth and Eliwood are the top of their families, it seems. That being said, would it not make more sense to include Eliwood? Chrom and Roy are equals, in this regard, so therefore, the point is moot. That`s my opinion on the matter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

You make two comparisons: Eliwood is the father of Roy, and Chrom is the late descendant of Marth. Marth and Eliwood are the top of their families, it seems. That being said, would it not make more sense to include Eliwood? Chrom and Roy are equals, in this regard, so therefore, the point is moot. That`s my opinion on the matter.
No, because Roy is far more popular and well known than Eliwood is. And this is coming from someone who has Eliwood as his favorite international lord.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Awwww! I wanna ****ing-slap you too! :)

Also Did Eliwood have the appearance in Melee & Awakening? And did Chrom have the several appearances like Marth?

This defense is invalid.

Reznor

work in progress
I have a question about Roy is he only popular because of Smash or because his games are considered better than most FE games

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Let's talk about Golden's Attitude

1. Shut up
  2. You have no credibility
What attitude did you expect me to use in response to that Swampasaur? I'm not your *****. Honestly is it that complicated?
He tried his best to make an unbiased Pro/Con list, independent of other things or opinions.

You accuse him of...

1. Being scrapped from Brawl doesn't mean anything less for him than Mewtwo.
  2. You left out several valid points from my list because you personally choose to not count them such as the fact that he had a prequel that he made a cameo in and regardless starred a protagonist that resembles him .
  3. Even as a clone he is more unique, as if being a clone really means anything which it doesn't
You went on the offensive and attacked his own PERSONAL list.

I don't have much sympathy for you.

I have a question about Roy is he only popular because of Smash or because his games are considered better than most FE games
In the states, most of his popularity stems from Melee. In Japan though, FE6 was incredibly received so, a very large part of it stems from that.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I can't decide which lord is more likely to get in. Sometimes I think Chrom is more likely, but then there's Roy and his popularity from Melee, so I start thinking they have equal chances....

D

Deleted member

It's impossible to prove wrong what hasn't been proven right.

By your logic, Leif is more important than Roy since not only does Leif have a major role in more than one game, but like Roy, both games either star him or someone tied to him by blood. Interesting fact is that Leif is Seliph's cousin.

And Leif is just a palette swap of Marth? Sure, if you only look at Marth's white palette and not at all at what Leif actually looks like. But I know you have; you used to have Leif on your old rosters as a Marth clone.
Saying Leif is just a Marth palette swap is the same thing as saying Roy is.

And no, "how the game is received" is not proof on who is more important to a franchise. Nor does being in Smash. Or is Jigglypuff more important to the Pokémon franchise because she's been in Smash longer than the Pokémon Trainer?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It seems like the argument arose from someone beefing about Satuirn choosing Roy over Chrom, Saturn used reasons that seemed flaw for most people, and Chrom fans dogpiled on him, which pissed him off, and he used a much more aggrivated and aggressive tone due to said dogpiling.

I think the Chrom fanbase and Saturn are both in the wrong here (Chrom fanboys shouldn't dogpile), however, I can understand why Saturn got pissed off.

The point is that Roy does have legitimate reasons to come back for Smash 4 (and over Chrom). Just because FE13 is the most recent Fire Emblem, does not necessarily make Chrom the best choice for a third FE character (or even the best choice for a FE13 character in general).

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Also Did Eliwood have the appearance in Melee & Awakening? And did Chrom have the several appearances like Marth?
Noah clearly hasn't played Awakening... Eliwood DID have an appearance in Awakening. And yet he's being so sure of himself in all of this... And now he's comparing Chrom to Marth when the comparison just made was Chrom to Roy and Marth to Eliwood.

Good grief.
It seems like the argument arose from someone beefing about Satuirn choosing Roy over Chrom, Saturn used reasons that seemed flaw for most people, and Chrom fans dogpiled on him, which pissed him off, and he used a much more aggrivated and aggressive tone due to said dogpiling.

I think the Chrom fanbase and Saturn are both in the wrong here (Chrom fanboys shouldn't dogpile), however, I can understand why Saturn got pissed off.

The point is that Roy does have legitimate reasons to come back for Smash 4 (and over Chrom). Just because FE13 is the most recent Fire Emblem, does not necessarily make Chrom the best choice for a third FE character (or even the best choice for a FE13 character in general).
Regardless of who supports who, the fact remains that Noah persistently used flawed logic to push a point like it's a given. The dogpile sounds justified at this point considering Noah is essentially being a **** at this point simply because people poked at his logic. It really isn't helping his stance either that he's now grown an ego that he has simply won because one person had the gall to tell him to shut up, regardless of whether or not others agree with him. Even Lotus saw that after previously being neutral in all of this. Aside from getting a like from Noah, patting him on the back for this is not doing any good at all for yourself, and it certainly isn't for the being of the thread.

D

Deleted member

In the West, it's almost entirely because of Smash, but then again, the game was unfortunately never released outside of Japan, so it's not like fans can get it easily. However, in Japan, Roy is well received over there and people like Roy for who he is. Also note that Melee was the worst selling game of the Smash series in Japan and Roy is still the 2nd most popular requests for SSB4. Roy is already in 5th/6th in the West with it consisting of fans who like him almost entirely for Melee, we can only imagine how much bigger he would be if FE6 got released outside of Japan.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You went on the offensive and attacked his own PERSONAL list.
Oh, how horrid! Somebody get the exorcist to send this demon back to the fiert depths of hell! Also what PERSONAL list? (which by the way I asked him to defend himself WITHOUT personal lists)

Please prolong this flame war further, at the best of your abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom