• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
When he says this, I have a feeling he was talking about characters like Pichu and Young Link.
people read it how they want to read it. some see melee veterans returning, but I see it as applying to all veterans.
but I do think this is the key part:
"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologize in advance to those fans."

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
What do you think will happen to SSB 3DS & Wii U if Capcom goes out of business and Mega Man does not get bought by Nintendo (and we're assuming Capcom goes out of business before the Wii U/3DS gets a successor)? Would Sakurai have to remove Mega Man somehow or would the game simply stop selling? Perhaps even something else entirely?
Hypothetically, it depends on the company that buys it. If it someone that works at least decently well with Nintendo, he'll probably stay and most likely that would be the case. There's very few companies that wouldn't work with Nintendo on this.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon Link has lots of people in discussion. Didn't expect that.
Maybe if we have Geno revealed, about 56 people can join the discussion.
I'm just happy people are talking about something other than how he is the most likely character of being cut and how the Spirit Train stage meant that he's 100% cut etc. Whenever people talked about Toon Link, it was always regarding cuts. Boy am I glad that that's over with this soon.... ^_^

Morbi

Scavenger
I think the reason why Toon Link's confirmation was so "controversial" was that so many people were expecting him to be a goner.

Its going to be much worse when we get a Pokemon veteran, because people are going to twist whatever character got confirmed as a reason why another Pokemon veteran won't come back.
I cannot wait for the controversy that Jigglypuff causes. I will drink the salty tears from every one of the Jigglypuff haters. They will taste immaculate!

Bajef8

Smash Ace
SEA CUCUMBER!!!

Well, Impa is one of the few characters who's been in the Zelda series from the very start, and she has notable roles in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword.
Notable roles? Meh. She was one of 7 Sages in OoT and all she did was act as a tour guide for Zelda in SS. Vaati affected the world much more than Impa, and I'd even say Toon Zelda/Tetra should happen before Impa. Impa's just meh as a character in general. I'm a huge Zelda buff, and I just don't see the appeal at all.

And on top of that, giving her Sheik's moveset?
A) It would feel awkward playing as Sheik (except it's named Impa) so give her a unique moveset if you must have her.
B) Why would you take Sheik away from Zelda when it gives her the unique fighting style of being a 2 in 1? Sheik is a part of Zelda after all, even if she only appeared once and was planned once

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Careful now, Diddy... the 15th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is coming soon... November 21, 1998 (Japanese date)... we could get Sheik. Though Impa is probable since the 2nd anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is coming soon as well... November 23, 2011 (Japanese date)... though we most likely will get Zelda on November instead.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Hypothetically, it depends on the company that buys it. If it someone that works at least decently well with Nintendo, he'll probably stay and most likely that would be the case. There's very few companies that wouldn't work with Nintendo on this.
What if nintendo buys it? =P

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Cause Toon Link is back, so the only logical cut from Zelda characters now is Sheik.

You can now attempt to crucify me.
I'm still confused as to why you dislike Sheik so much.

I recall you making a post saying that you didn't like her even back around 2008 before Skyward Sword existed.

Were you always a fan of Impa even before her Skyward Sword incarnation?

----

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No I wasn't. Did wanted Sheik out before for Midna though.

Also, felt it absurt to have Mewtwo leave, but Sheik is there. Also, Ganondorf and Toon Link being semi-clones, which didn' have to happen. At least for Ganondorf.

It'll be a fun time around SmashBoards I'm sure, but I'll be gone for at least a week tomorrow. Perhaps two even. So, let's see what happened when I return.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Yeah seriously, Zelda is staying 100% So why cut out a facet of her moveset (Sheik)? There is literally no rhyme, reason, or need to drop Sheik from Zelda and then add Impa.
Toon Zelda/Tetra>Vaati>Impa in importance and in order of who'd I'd rather see added to the series' representation. However I don't see us getting anyone other than the 4 we have, 5 including Sheik.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
B) Why would you take Sheik away from Zelda when it gives her the unique fighting style of being a 2 in 1? Sheik is a part of Zelda after all, even if she only appeared once and was planned once
Except most players prefer playing as Sheik only or Zelda only (like I do), not both. So, those players are not using Zelda and Sheik as a two-in-one character.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
On that Ocarina of Time anniversary note, I'm curious as to which characters will take more inspiration from said games. (Fully expect Sheik back).

But as it stands, we have TP/Zelda Wii U HD inspired Link, Wind Waker HD inspired Toon Link, and Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks and Ocarina of Time 3D stages. I believe there's also a possibility to get either a classic/retro Zelda stage (ala Temple), and maybe even a Link Between Worlds stage.

Character-wise, I'd prefer Ocarina of Time Zelda/Ganondorf, and don't paricularly care enough for any 5th rep ideas (am partial to Vaati/Tingle/Impa over any one-shot characters or more semi-clones like Toon Zelda/Ganon or Demise or Impa with Sheik's moveset) .

Bajef8

Smash Ace
There wasn't exactly alot of Impa to be a fan of before Skyward Sword.
My point exactly. Why did everyone just jump on her bandwagon after SS? Not only that, but then they use the fact that she coincidentally appeared in most games as the best reason for her inclusion.
Except most players prefer playing as Sheik only or Zelda only (like I do), not both. So, those players are not using Zelda and Sheik as a two-in-one character.
Okay but that doesn't take away from the fact that she is a 2 in 1 and I'm pretty sure Sakurai intended for players to try and use them both during a fight, seeing as he didn't just make them separate characters. Hell, when I play as her, I use both. Not competitively obviously, but Smash isn't intended to be a competitive fighter as Sakurai states.

Morbi

Scavenger
I was assuming that another company bought it. :p

If Nintendo got him, there would be no issue (and on top of that, we may actually get some more Megaman games).
Megaman Black and White, Megaman Black and White 2, Megaman X and Y, Megaman Z. Jesus, the excitement cannot be contained! HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe even Megaman Galaxy 3?

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Why Sheik over Impa? Precedence my dear friends. The fact Sheik has appeared in the past two smash games is far more influential in character selection than the fact that Impa is more integral to the Zelda cannon.

Plus Sheik is from Ocarina of Time and as well all know that's the only Zelda game worth repping. *semi-serious sarcasm*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Skyward Sword characters: Link, Zelda, Impa
Wind Waker HD characters: Toon Link, Ganondorf, Tingle

One can always dream...

Morbi

Scavenger
Why Sheik over Impa? Precedence my dear friends. The fact Sheik has appeared in the past two smash games is far more influential in character selection than the fact that Impa is more integral to the Zelda cannon.

Plus Sheik is from Ocarina of Time and as well all know that's the only Zelda game worth repping. *semi-serious sarcasm*
I think it all has to do with... bangabalitity. That is the standard that Sakurai uses!

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Hey guys, seems like you got Zelda as a topic, right now, so it seems Tetra/T.Zelda, Impa, and Tingle are still battling for the 5th slot, if there is one.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

My exact argument for Jiggs which people seem to deem as an invalid point -___-
Plus Jiggs is from Gen 1 and as we all know, that's the only Gen worth repping :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey guys, seems like you got Zelda as a topic, right now, so it seems Tetra/T.Zelda, Impa, and Tingle are still battling for the 5th slot, if there is one.
I got to rep the pedophile. Tingle all the way baby! I would totally main Tingle... just because. Imagine the funny taunts you could use online. Tingle wants to touch your tingly dingly!

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Careful now, Diddy... the 15th anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is coming soon... November 21, 1998 (Japanese date)... we could get Sheik. Though Impa is probable since the 2nd anniversary of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is coming soon as well... November 23, 2011 (Japanese date)... though we most likely will get Zelda on November instead.
I'm back for a quick break. All this math and essays are cramping up my hands...

Anyway, I saw this, and came up with a theory. It says on sites that ALBW will be out in Japan early 2014, but everywhere else is near November. So what do you think, we've had this incident before, when Luigi was revealed closer to the NA release, do you think this will happen again?

And I have a little guess myself. Since NA release to ALBW and the 15th Anniversary of OoT are in the same month, do you all think it's possible to see BOTH Zelda and Sheik? I'm definitely overthinking it, but it is probable.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I would have to give it to Toon Zelda. The other two aren't in the same probability.

To be fair to Diddy, I think he prefers Zelda and Impa in a team up role similar to Ice Climbers rather than replacing Sheik's role all together.

Impa is always adjusted to fit her role in the Zelda series. Not to fit the role in Smash. Hence there is no iconic feature to her really.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
My exact argument for Jiggs which people seem to deem as an invalid point -___-

Well if it makes you feel better I agree. If anything it's just about the most valid point you can make for most veterans. Out of the 40 odd smash characters (it's late ok) only 5 have been cut and most of those were horrendous clones. I can't think of many fighting games, or games with selectable rosters in general, which carry over so much from the previous iterations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom