• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Well if it makes you feel better I agree. If anything it's just about the most valid point you can make for most veterans. Out of the 40 odd smash characters (it's late ok) only 5 have been cut and most of those were horrendous clones. I can't think of many fighting games, or games with selectable rosters in general, which carry over so much from the previous iterations.
Exactly. To me Mewtwo, and somewhat to an extent, Roy, were the only ones who were unjustified. Mewtwo for being a big Pokemon favorite w/ a unique moveset, and Roy because he was an actual different character similar to the G-dorf/Falcon cloneship. Yes Roy isn't as important to FE as G-dorf is to Zelda, but it still seemed a little harsh. Not nearly that bad though since he was a one-timer.

Pichu is Pichu and just a mini Pikachu which really brought nothing new to the table at all, Dr. Mario was Mario in a costume, and Young Link lives on as Toon Link anyway.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We have three Zelda stages so far... and they are all from post-Brawl Zelda games.

Spirit Tracks (December 23, 2009) - Spirit Train
Ocarina of Time 3D (June 16, 2011) - Gerudo Valley
Skyward Sword (November 23, 2011) - Skyloft

All that's left is...

Wind Waker HD (September 26, 2013) - Pirate Ship (possibly one of Brawl's past stages)

Okay but that doesn't take away from the fact that she is a 2 in 1 and I'm pretty sure Sakurai intended for players to try and use them both during a fight, seeing as he didn't just make them separate characters. Hell, when I play as her, I use both. Not competitively obviously, but Smash isn't intended to be a competitive fighter as Sakurai states.
I don't play competitively either. I just prefer Zelda's moveset over Sheik's moveset so I main Zelda. That's one of the reasons why I want Zelda and Sheik separated... so Zelda can get her own Down+B.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I don't play competitively either. I just prefer Zelda's moveset over Sheik's moveset so I main Zelda. That's one of the reasons why I want Zelda and Sheik separated... so Zelda can get her own Down+B.
Right but that's entirely opinion, as I like playing as 2 different people in 1 match. It all depends on what Sakurai wants in that regard anyway.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We have three Zelda stages so far... and they are all from post-Brawl Zelda games.

Spirit Tracks (December 23, 2009) - Spirit Train
Ocarina of Time 3D (June 16, 2011) - Gerudo Valley
Skyward Sword (November 23, 2011) - Skyloft

All that's left is...

Wind Waker HD (September 26, 2013) - Pirate Ship (possibly one of Brawl's past stages)
I just hope they don't bring back the Pirate Ship. I would give Temple or the Bridge of Eldin as a past stage. This is a perfect chance to show off something new and cool for Wind Waker.

Dragon Roost Island? Or maybe Windfall Island, Hyrule Castle that floods every now and then, or one of the islands! I just want something cool and different. Or we cold just update the Pirate Ship with HD graphics.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Jesus Christ, there are alot of people viewing this thread... I do hope the next reveal introduces a character from a new franchise mother But I'm also glad we've gotten that "once a month assumption out of the way.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Also you know what? Just a thought I had. Of the cuts that happened from Melee to Brawl, none were even severe besides maybe Mewtwo anyway.

Dr. Mario: Literally just Mario in a doc outfit w/ pills
Pichu: Weaker, less ranged, hurt itself version of Pikachu that was neither important to Smash or Pokemon very much
Young Link: Honestly was never really cut, just put on a cartoon outfit
Roy: A bit painful, but really not too shocking seeing as he was a unique character to FE, yes, but not on the same level as Falco and Ganondorf were to their respective series
Mewtwo: Really the only unjustifiable cut that upset some people, and he's coming back most likely so no biggie if he missed one game

These are the cuts we had, and I honestly think cuts will not be as severe as most people think.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Jesus Christ, there are alot of people viewing this thread... I do hope the next reveal introduces a charcter from a new franchise mother But I'm also glad we've gotten that "once a month assumption out of the way.
Maybe if we are lucky we get another character.

Actually, maybe Toon Link will still be a clone because he was revealed early.

So maybe only clones will be confirmed on the same month.

Ninten

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Jesus Christ, there are alot of people viewing this thread... I do hope the next reveal introduces a character from a new franchise motherBut I'm also glad we've gotten that "once a month assumption out of the way.
Wouldn't it be great if Sakurai dropped a bombshell on us next month and gave us Lucas or Ness? I would love to see them sooner or later, especially Lucas.

Morbi

Scavenger
Jesus Christ, there are alot of people viewing this thread... I do hope the next reveal introduces a character from a new franchise motherBut I'm also glad we've gotten that "once a month assumption out of the way.
I honestly thought a Zelda reveal would have been cooler. We could have had both Princesses revealed in the same month. I am also glad we got that assumption out of the way. Watch when people get mad after we don't get an update once a month passes. Haha.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Ok, then, I got no faith in Sakurai and his team.
Let's all say that when we want cuts.
I never said anybody wanted them. I said that if you say that "they're definitely going to happen, no doubt" you got no faith.
We are getting cuts this time around due to the roster reaching what Sakurai would consider feasible. Cuts WILL happen for sure, Sakurai stated that. There might only be 1 or 2 cuts, but cuts are definite. Thinking cuts will happen doesn't mean we don't have faith in Sora Ltd. or Namco, it just means that we are practical.
So then, what is the feasible character count then? Because right now with Brawl's roster included (Not including transformations), we're at a total of 38 characters. We are generally expecting 44 to 46 characters total and we are well aware of the fact that we'll get less newcomers than in previous games. With a potential newcomer number of 9 to 11, I don't see why cuts are definitely going to happen with the facts we already have.

Also, where has Sakurai stated that cuts are going to happen for sure? Because I've read that he couldn't promise that everybody from a previous Smash game would return, but he'll certainly try to bring everyone back. Of course, we don't know if Young Link, Pichu, and Dr. Mario were also some of the characters he was mentioning either. But they very well could be. I'm not expecting them to return at all, so Sakurai would still be telling the truth if they didn't show up after all.

I don't care if you think they're possible, I surely agree that cuts are a possibility. But I do care if you go around saying that "they are going to happen whether you like it or not" and "if you don't believe that you're kidding yourself". Especially when Sakurai himself doesn't want them to happen.
"We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point," Sakurai explained. "Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.
"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologize in advance to those fans."
- Sakurai
He said Smash Brothers as franchise, not just Brawl.
Nobody is expecting Young Link, Pichu, Dr. Mario, and even Roy to return at this point. So if they didn't show up (Which they probably won't), he'd still be telling the truth.
Because there were only 12 characters in Smash 64.
Fair enough, I suppose that only makes sense.
The 3DS version has not been confirmed to come out after. The 3DS version is the basis of the game's creativity. It's false logic to assume less screenshots means later release. It could just because the Wii U version looks prettier
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/smash-bros-wii-u-3ds-might-not-release-at-the-same-time
They will have had less time to develop then they had in Brawl.
You do realize that Brawl had a lot more content to deal with too. The lack of the story mode alone is a HUGE weight off of their shoulders. They still don't even have a set release date either, so if they want to delay the game, let them do it. Nintendo has already delayed many other games to make sure they're in tip top shape, what would prevent the from doing the same for Smash?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Megaman Black and White, Megaman Black and White 2, Megaman X and Y, Megaman Z. Jesus, the excitement cannot be contained! HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe even Megaman Galaxy 3?

Dude, We've already got Megaman X. But what would Megaman Y look like? :p

Morbi

Scavenger
She's not fat, just very dense.
Jigglypuff isn't fat. She is just full of hot air! *baboom tisk

Wouldn't it be great if Sakurai dropped a bombshell on us next month and gave us Lucas or Ness? I would love to see them sooner or later, especially Lucas.
No. A different OG will be revealed in October. Snoop Puff. P. U. Double F.

I like her hair. And hat.
I like her curves. That pink, lustful, scrumptious, voluptuous body.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
You do realize that Brawl had a lot more content to deal with too. The lack of the story mode alone is a HUGE weight off of their shoulders. They still don't even have a set release date either, so if they want to delay the game, let them do it. Nintendo has already delayed many other games to make sure they're in tip top shape, what would prevent the from doing the same for Smash?
Right? They had plenty of time to develop Brawl, but that sure didn't stop it from being delayed twice.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I love X sooooooo much, him and zero were the best there games were awesomely fun.

Megaman X is probably my favorite Megaman incarnation too. I'll always like Classic Megaman, but the MMX series stepped up the gameplay.

Morbi

Scavenger
Dude. There is no way Toon Link is getting in. He was a low priority character last time, and plus he's on the train stage. And he's a clone, and Link sucks because of him. :troll:
Link does suck because of him. That is such a tragedy. I have more fun playing Toon Link than I do playing Link. Pathetic. This kind of decadence is why I no longer main Link. I have made room for my inflatable love doll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom