• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That is all I am arguing. Haha.

Anyways... I have a prediction. Jigglypuff will be on the Smash site in October, probably late October. It will correlate with Halloween. Why you ask? Jigglypuff is the only character in Smash (aside from Pichu and maybe kind of sort of Wario) that doesn't do pallet swaps. Nope. She always dresses up for her different costumes. Meaning... that the October reveal will be Jigglypuff. You cannot deny the facts.
I've been thinking Jigglypuff should be revealed in a Smash direct, so we can see footage of her using Fairy type moves, maybe Luigi demonstrating his new move, Poltergeist. Veterans get new moves in general.

D

Deleted member

I absolutely did not read any of the walls of text on this page. But I assume its a slapfight over which Pokemon veterans will out-prioritize whom.

What's the point of arguing it, when Sakurai is probably going to try his best to get all the Brawl Pokemon veterans (plus Mewtwo) back for Smash 4?

The fact that we had a relatively expendable character confirmed today so early on, and the fact that all of these Pokemon veterans have something to claim to them in tying in with X/Y shows that people need to get over that Sakurai is NOT going to cut Lucario or Jigglypuff simply on a whim.

Sakurai will try his best to bring in Pokemon's Brawl veterans with Mewtwo.
Pretty much. There's a little discussion in regards to Capcom reps and Mega Man near the end, but yeah, mostly prioritizing arguments.

I also agree that Sakurai will try to bring in Pokémon's Brawl veterans and Mewtwo to the game. There's not any reason to not expect Mewtwo and Jigglypuff to return and the only valid arguments for the Pokémon Trainer and Lucario is the possibility of technical issues and time constraints respectively getting in the way. Only in the very off-chance we get a Pokémon newcomer would Lucario/Pokémon Trainer be in any serious danger of facing the axe.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
That is all I am arguing. Haha.

Anyways... I have a prediction. Jigglypuff will be on the Smash site in October, probably late October. It will correlate with Halloween. Why you ask? Jigglypuff is the only character in Smash (aside from Pichu and maybe kind of sort of Wario) that doesn't do pallet swaps. Nope. She always dresses up for her different costumes. Meaning... that the October reveal will be Jigglypuff. You cannot deny the facts.
King K Rool is the best at disguising himself tough.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario Charizard and Blastoise and Pokémon Trainer will most likely be the Pokémon cast. 7 characters.

Is 4 DKC characters a bad idea now? NOPE. A certain cruel king pirate might soon compete with Toon Link about who's the baddest on the seas. Dixie will likely be in to. If Diddy gets confirmed soon, and Dixie on Tropical Freeze-day, K.Rool becomes extremely likely.

So far, I'm having hopes up for my true favorite potential newcomers: Mewtwo and K.Rool. Isaac, Impa and Dixie also seem more likely to happen. Glad I kept Toon Link on my last roster that I made to.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I absolutely did not read any of the walls of text on this page. But I assume its a slapfight over which Pokemon veterans will out-prioritize whom.

What's the point of arguing it, when Sakurai is probably going to try his best to get all the Brawl Pokemon veterans (plus Mewtwo) back for Smash 4?

The fact that we had a relatively expendable character confirmed today so early on, and the fact that all of these Pokemon veterans have something to claim to them in tying in with X/Y shows that people need to get over that Sakurai is NOT going to cut Lucario or Jigglypuff simply on a whim.

That's a good summary of the "wall of text" you didn't read lol. The gianormous chunks are Noah and Hotfeet fighting again.
I think he was just joking about how Mario consumes anything and everything Nintendo.
I know, I was just trolling some more, hence le trollface.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I know he was in the first two, but I guess they just felt like he didn't work very well in either of them, which is why they chose Zero over him, and let's be honest Zero is definitely one of the best characters in the game.
It wasn't because he didn't fit though. It's because they wanted a more diverse moveset. He worked great in the last two. Zero is one of the best characters in the game. I use him but I'm not competive.

I think Toon Link's confirmation should recalibrate our prediction process, but I don't see what's wrong with a discussion about the roster in the roster discussion thread. People just shouldn't take the cuts so personally. If I say a character might be cut, it's not because I don't like the character. It's because I think we will see another one or I want to see another one. Toon Link 's return does not apply to all Smash Veterans.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Some cuts probably will occur, whether everyone likes them or not doesn't matter.
Why though?
Seriously?

Why didn't we cuts in Melee then? Why is it now that we're suddenly going to have cuts on our hands? We had cuts in Brawl because of what little time they had to work on the game. They over estimated themselves and had to pay for it by getting rid of some of the lower priority characters (I mean the reason why we had more characters in Melee is because of how much extra time they had after completing the main cast).
Why do you think Sakurai is being very open about telling us that he can't promise every Smash character returning? It's because, while he doesn't want to make the same mistake again, he's warning us if he can't succeed in saving each character(Which he is obviously trying to do).
From what we can tell, he's not letting the 3DS version hold him back. As we already know that the 3DS Version will release after the Wii U version (and we're seeing that the Wii U version has higher priority for characters being done. As Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Olimar didn't have 3DS Screenshots until weeks after they were revealed). They've had a great amount of time to work on the game so far and they still have another year to work on it. Without anything like the Subspace Emissary to worry about, there shouldn't be an issue bring back all of the veterans (ESPECIALLY because of the fact that they don't have to make so many random enemies).
Cuts are by no means going to happen for sure. The only possible cut is Snake because of potential licensing issues with Konami. But even then, why would Konami not want free marketing of their franchise?

If you undoubtably think that there will be cuts, you've got no faith in Sakurai and his team.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario Charizard and Blastoise and Pokémon Trainer will most likely be the Pokémon cast. 7 characters.

Is 4 DKC characters a bad idea now? NOPE. A certain cruel king pirate might soon compete with Toon Link about who's the baddest on the seas. Dixie will likely be in to. If Diddy gets confirmed soon, and Dixie on Tropical Freeze-day, K.Rool becomes extremely likely.

So far, I'm having hopes up for my true favorite potential newcomers: Mewtwo and K.Rool. Isaac, Impa and Dixie also seem more likely to happen. Glad I kept Toon Link on my last roster that I made to.
Now I want Jigglypuff to have a pirate costume. She would be the baddest on the seas!

Reznor

work in progress
That doesn't make sense considering that Capcom allowed Mega Man to be in Smash in the first place. Putting Mega Man as a playable character in the biggest fighting game cross-over in history is massive exposure for him and will draw a lot of attention towards him. If Capcom wanted to kill Mega Man, he would not be in Smash.
was a joke about how many of his games have been canceled (not that many only 4 but they all got canceled at about the same time)

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Why though?
Seriously?

Why didn't we cuts in Melee then? Why is it now that we're suddenly going to have cuts on our hands? We had cuts in Brawl because of what little time they had to work on the game. They over estimated themselves and had to pay for it by getting rid of some of the lower priority characters (I mean the reason why we had more characters in Melee is because of how much extra time they had after completing the main cast).
Why do you think Sakurai is being very open about telling us that he can't promise every Smash character returning? It's because, while he doesn't want to make the same mistake again, he's warning us if he can't succeed in saving each character(Which he is obviously trying to do).
From what we can tell, he's not letting the 3DS version hold him back. As we already know that the 3DS Version will release after the Wii U version (and we're seeing that the Wii U version has higher priority for characters being done. As Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Olimar didn't have 3DS Screenshots until weeks after they were revealed). They've had a great amount of time to work on the game so far and they still have another year to work on it. Without anything like the Subspace Emissary to worry about, there shouldn't be an issue bring back all of the veterans (ESPECIALLY because of the fact that they don't have to make so many random enemies).
Cuts are by no means going to happen for sure. The only possible cut is Snake because of potential licensing issues with Konami. But even then, why would Konami not want free marketing of their franchise?

If you undoubtably think that there will be cuts, you've got no faith in Sakurai and his team.
Ok, then, I got no faith in Sakurai and his team.

Let's all say that when we want cuts.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why though?
Seriously?

We are getting cuts this time around due to the roster reaching what Sakurai would consider feasible. Cuts WILL happen for sure, Sakurai stated that. There might only be 1 or 2 cuts, but cuts are definite. Thinking cuts will happen doesn't mean we don't have faith in Sora Ltd. or Namco, it just means that we are practical.

D

Deleted member

was a joke about how many of his games have been canceled (not that many only 4 but they all got canceled at about the same time)
Oh.

Speaking of which, here's a relevant question that doesn't involve Pokémon slapfights.

What do you think will happen to SSB 3DS & Wii U if Capcom goes out of business and Mega Man does not get bought by Nintendo (and we're assuming Capcom goes out of business before the Wii U/3DS gets a successor)? Would Sakurai have to remove Mega Man somehow or would the game simply stop selling? Perhaps even something else entirely?

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Oh.

Speaking of which, here's a relevant question that doesn't involve Pokémon slapfights.

What do you think will happen to SSB 3DS & Wii U if Capcom goes out of business and Mega Man does not get bought by Nintendo (and we're assuming Capcom goes out of business before the Wii U/3DS gets a successor)? Would Sakurai have to remove Mega Man somehow or would the game simply stop selling? Perhaps even something else entirely?
Let's hope Namco makes Pac-Mega Man.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Oh.

Bomberman was on Tetris Axis before Hudson went kaputz, you know.

I don't see them trying to remove Bomberman from that game. I couldn't possibly imagine why they'd do the same with Mega Man in SSB4.
Let's hope Namco makes Pac-Mega Man.
Or a Pokemon crossover Mega Pac-Man.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Oh.

Nintendo could just ask to the new owners, it's still good publicity for their newly acquired license.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Why though?
Seriously?

"We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point," Sakurai explained.
"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.
"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologize in advance to those fans."
- Sakurai

Because there were only 12 characters in Smash 64.

The 3DS version has not been confirmed to come out after. The 3DS version is the basis of the game's creativity. It's false logic to assume less screenshots means later release. It could just because the Wii U version looks prettier.

They will have had less time to develop then they had in Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh.

They already have the right to use the license. So if Capcom went out of business, Mega Man would still be in Smash.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Oh.

He would be bought by comcept, if not he'd still stay in cause he's just that iconic.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh yeah which one.
Post 29213

"We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point," Sakurai explained.
"Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character.
"So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it's good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologize in advance to those fans."
- Sakurai

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why does everyone think Impa, of all Zelda reps, is even likely?
Cause Toon Link is back, so the only logical cut from Zelda characters now is Sheik.

You can now attempt to crucify me.

Morbi

Scavenger
When he says this, I have a feeling he was talking about characters like Pichu and Young Link.
I actually agree. That is the same feeling that I got. Just the way he says "every single character who's been in Smash" makes me think he was referring to characters like Pichu and Doctor Mario. Maybe even Roy. That is just the way I interpreted it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think the reason why Toon Link's confirmation was so "controversial" was that so many people were expecting him to be a goner.

Its going to be much worse when we get a Pokemon veteran, because people are going to twist whatever character got confirmed as a reason why another Pokemon veteran won't come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom