• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd say Pokémon Trainer, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo and Lucario have all been significant with X/Y.

Jigglypuff - Has the new Fairy-type where Sakurai could take some inspiration for new moves.
Lucario and Mewtwo - Among the first Pokémon to have Mega Evolutions revealed.
Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon - The Kanto starters will be available in X/Y and all have Mega Evolutions.

?????????????

Smash Master
Lucario definitely has been promotional material in X&Y, but I think has not only been overshadowed by Mewtwo, but overshadowed by BLAZIKEN as well.

Morbi

Scavenger
Why don't you look up what subjective means on Free Dictionary.com before using it?
Because nothing I said was subjective.

If you are going to try and claim that Sakurai doesn't invoke marketability when selecting Pokémon, Jigglypuff is still marketable, and that Jigglypuff and Mewtwo weren't low-priority and didn't decline in marketing during Brawl's development, and that all of those points were just something I made up in my mind, then it is you who is full of it my friend.
I cant tell if you are being serious or not. You are EXTREMELY adamant about your OPINION, it doesn't make it an objective standard.

I never said anything about marketability. You just started throwing that in there. No one is debating that.

D

Deleted member

Edit: Why am I even TALKING about this?! If it comes down to four reps, Mewtwo will not lose a spot to Lucario. And no, don't bring up Brawl, times are different and Mewtwo is back in its prime.
I am not saying that Mewtwo won't get priority over Lucario in a four slot situation, but I do believe that the Brawl veterans and Mewtwo are important enough to where there is a very strong case for a fifth slot to be made to accompany all of these characters.

?????????????

Smash Master
I am not saying that Mewtwo won't get priority over Lucario in a four slot situation, but I do believe that the Brawl veterans and Mewtwo are important enough to where there is a very strong case for a fifth slot to be made to accompany all of these characters.
I hope that's the case.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lucario definitely has been promotional material in X&Y, but I think has not only been overshadowed by Mewtwo, but overshadowed by BLAZIKEN as well.
No. I would not say he is overshadowed by Blaziken. If you look at merchandise and the anime, Lucario is definitely being promoted more.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pikachu
Fairypuff
Mewtwo (X/Y)
Lucario (Mega)
Pokemon Trainer Kanto

What will probably happen. Personally, I say scrap PT/Cario, and add a Unova Pokemon. Genesect or Zoroark would do.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
That is the most likely case, and I'll I'm saying that if push does come to shove, and someone does have to go, Lucario will most likely be the one to go, that's all. I'm not saying Lucario is a bad choice, I'm not saying Sakurai would make a good choice with all Gen 1 Pokemon (Or whatever Noah put in my mouth), that's all I'm saying. If Lucario is the one who gets revealed next month, hats off to you, but until then, that's my opinion, respect mine and I'll respect yours.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't even think we will be getting a new Pokemon rep (aside from Mewtwo). Which Pokemon screams out as a great newcomer?

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
These forums are going to explode in two weeks when we see which Pokemon character Sakurai uses to promote Pokemon X/Y.

I really can't see why Pokemon WON'T get five slots.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Pokémon is big enough to have 5 characters. (Counting the Pokémon Trainer as one, that is.)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is the trailer to X&Y's anime:

Not to mention the Torchic promotion for X&Y.
Just one thing.

Lucario has had a figurine be packed in with games, promotion in the anime at a time when Sakurai was likely deciding the roster, and general promotion as well.

If you really think Blaziken is going to bump out Lucario, you need to really see the bigger picture.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I don't see where is the problem with a serie having 5 reps when it happen with the Mario serie in melee and was supposed to happen again in Brawl with the Mario, Zelda and Pokemon series.

Morbi

Scavenger
These forums are going to explode in two weeks when we see which Pokemon character Sakurai uses to promote Pokemon X/Y.

I really can't see why Pokemon WON'T get five slots.
If it is in fact Jigglypuff, I am going to gloat, for a LONG time. I can't even believe how much **** I am getting for supporting what I thought was a common sense character. You know what they say about common sense... it is not very common. :039:

Reznor

work in progress
Really? Aside from limited Gen 4 marketing, all he was in was a single trailer for Black 2/White 2 in the previous gen and now a couple of trailers here in X/Y, I hardly call that "Heavily promoted".
every time I see some ad for pokemon if its not Pikachu (or a starter pokemon) its Lucario the guy get so much attention and there is also that HD trailer thing with Lucario and Blaziken

?????????????

Smash Master
Just one thing.

Lucario has had a figurine be packed in with games, promotion in the anime at a time when Sakurai was likely deciding the roster, and general promotion as well.

If you really think Blaziken is going to bump out Lucario, you need to really see the bigger picture.
I don't think that; as an SSB character, Lucario obviously has more priority. I just think Blaziken is seeing more X&Y promotion than Lucario.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I keep hearing arguments for:

1. The game won't be released until over a year from now.
2. Certain characters may not get in because they don't have time to finish them.
3. The entire roster is probably decided and programmed, they're just in need of tweaks and perfecting.

We've got 16 characters (which I think is about a third of the roster, give or take a few) that they believe look good enough to show us already.
We've got a multitude of stages, on both systems that all look great so far, but are obviously not nearly as HD as the characters.
If Sakurai works himself "almost to death" on this game, and I'm sure there's a large team handling the nuances behind everything...

Are we expecting this game to be ridiculously huge in scope? Even compared to Brawl?

Or do all the contradictions in how the game's gonna go down just spell out that none of us really know jack ****.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Actually he is. The Pokemon characters as of now are important to both Pokemon and Smash Bros, and while some may be in one category than the other, they're important to Smash Bros. Pikachu...important to Pokemon as the Mascot and main star of Pokemon for Smash Bros, Jigglypuff, relevancy lost a bit in recent years, but has gone back up thanks to X/Y and is VERY important to Smash Bros, Pokemon Trainer, the main character of Pokemon, the character we play as, his pokemon are important to Pokemon and his intricate style is important to Smash Bros. Mewtwo, although only in Melee as of now, was intended for every title in the franchise and is, in certain ways, a perfect attendee in data, he is VERY important to Pokemon, and the fans of Smash Bros see him as important to the franchise of Smash Bros as well. Lucario is only slightly above average importance in pokemon and really doesn't have any importance to Smash Bros aside from the ability of his aura, Lucario, as of right now, is most likely at the bottom of the importance list for the five pokemon veterans.
While I highly doubt Jigglypuff's going anywhere, again I have to say Fairy is not Jigglypuff's breath of life and GF has done little with it, it's still not nearly as prevalent as the other 4 as far as their home series is concerned. Again though, it's status in Smash means it has grandfather clause going for it and I won't get into the argument about low priority because I don't think it's going to keep out either of the two aside from time constraints.

And again, I think you're underrating Lucario by saying he's only "slightly above average" in importance, he stands out far more then the majority and is still prevalent in most things Pokémon. It's like saying Raiden isn't important to Metal Gear.

I don't think that; as an SSB character, Lucario obviously has more priority. I just think Blaziken is seeing more X&Y promotion than Lucario.
Well, I'd say they're about even. Both are being advertised for the anime and the only thing that Blaziken has that Lucario doesn't is the Event promotion.

Really? Aside from limited Gen 4 marketing, all he was in was a single trailer for Black 2/White 2 in the previous gen and now a couple of trailers here in X/Y, I hardly call that "Heavily promoted".
Anime appearances, a mascot on the Pokémon Sunday show, merchandising, etc.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't see where is the problem with a serie having 5 reps when it happen with the Mario serie in melee and was supposed to happen again in Brawl with the Mario, Zelda and Pokemon series.
An additional newcomer from the Mario or Zelda series doesn't seem necessary, there's no other Mario or Zelda character that can hype alot.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I truly don't know why people think PKMN Trainer is so likely to be cut. Sakurai has wanted him since Melee, he's the most popular and well-known Pokemon protagonist, and he has the three most popular and iconic Pokemon lines as his characters. Yes, he is a fair bit more work than the standard character, but Sakurai has never prioritized ease of implementation over merit. If he wants the Trainer to return, he'll return. And why wouldn't he want him to return?
For me, it's a generation thing. I have reason to believe that the Pokemon Company would not just want to promote Generation 1. Should Mewtwo return and there is no way presumable to use one Mega Form without slighting the other (since each version can only take X and Y respectively), they need a way to represent another generation. Jigglypuff is probably still in, so that leaves one slot. As much as I love squirtle, I don't see how pokemon could go all gen 1. Should there be another 5th rep, then I wouldn't replace pokemon trainer with another pokemon trainer, and give that slot either to Lucario, a gen 5 rep, or an unknown gen 6 rep. So that's my thoughts on the matter. I don't think he is likely to be cut, but I'm predicting based on the knowledge we know. And it's always stuck out to me that Pokemon Trainer instead of Red.

I'm not sure if FE13 is even the most popular game in the West. I think when the dust settles people will be more open to FE13's flaws. I think overall FE7 and FE9 were better than it as far as international FE games go. I think FE9 in particular is crippled in popularity due to having been made for the GameCube, and copies being relatively expensive to get.
Money talks. As far as we know, Fire Emblem: Awakening is the best selling Fire Emblem. It's hitting a million if it hasn't already. It hit 500,000 in Japan, where FE6 only hit 390,000 to my knowledge.

Critical reception doesn't matter so much to IS and Nintendo from my perspective. Other M is still represented in Metroid over Metroid Prime 3. Even if people don't love the game, they still bought it, which is the most important indicator of popularity for any company. Let's also remember FE9 was represented over the better selling and more popular FE7 and FE8 with a rep.

But fan reception generally either matches critical reception, or is dwarfed by it. And FE13 is the best critically received international iteration of the series, and that I don't think that is in dispute in the least. It also got the same 36/40 from Famitsu that FE 6 did.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I think we need more Wario characters, I'd really like to see Ashley make it in it, possibly even Young Cricket.

SaikyoBro

The One Who Knocks
NNID
SaikyoBro
I personally don't like Lucario very much and think a 4th-gren rep is unnecessary. That being said, he had a unique fighting style in Brawl and it would be weird if he was the only character cut so I don't see them doing it nor do I really want it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If Lucario leaves, I see no reason to expect new Mario or Zelda characters either. But, I think Lucario will probably stay. Just like Pokémon Trainer cause why would they cut the main, biggest representitive of the series besides Pikachu? If Toon Link's return says anything, I'm far more confident in especting characters as Ike, Pokémon Trainer, Lucario, Falco, Lucas and Wolf. Who all have 'bad chances' according to everyone. They might not even change much, but they'll likely be back. And I think that's awesome. Toon Link as a reveal is a good sign. **** being so stressed every time about character cuts, 'slots' and what nots.

Speaking, if they'll even add a Toon Zelda, I'd say chances are big they'll add more semi-clones. And that'd make me feel extremely confident in Dixie. But perhaps also a Fire Emblem newcomer or two as clones. Lucina, Chrom or Roy. Anyway, Toon Link and a double character reveal is a good sign.

Solo Tetra, Skyward Zelda and Impa must happen. Oh, and Ganondorf yes. TP Link & Ganondorf, SS Zelda & Impa, WW Link & Tetra. Perfect mixing and blending of all Zelda characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
An additional newcomer from the Mario or Zelda series doesn't seem necessary, there's no other Mario or Zelda character that can hype alot.
I would concur about Zelda, but with Mario there is certainly interest in a newcomer, the problem is that people can't agree on who it should be (Toad, Paper Mario, Bowser Jr., Waluigi all have a lot of support).

Morbi

Scavenger
I think we need more Wario characters, I'd really like to see Ashley make it in it, possibly even Young Cricket.
I don't know about that. I honestly feel like they used WarioWare and Yoshi's franchise as a gimmick to put more Mario characters in. So I don't really think that either of those series will be getting a new rep. I could be completely wrong about it though. I had never even known about WarioWare until after Brawl. I don't think a lot of casual Mario fans really distinguish the 3 franchises.
:039:

D

Deleted member

I cant tell if you are being serious or not. You are EXTREMELY adamant about your OPINION, it doesn't make it an objective standard.

I never said anything about marketability. You just started throwing that in there. No one is debating that.
Congratulations, I see no value in even trying to take you seriously anymore.

Seriously, if you can't tell between an opinion and facts backed by logic, not get that the marketability has always been a major part of my argument and my logic based on Sakurai's noted methods and not something I "just started throwing in there", there is no point in even continuing this discussion.

EDIT: Lol, it gets even worse:
If it is in fact Jigglypuff, I am going to gloat, for a LONG time. I can't even believe how much **** I am getting for supporting what I thought was a common sense character. You know what they say about common sense... it is not very common. :039:
Yes, you're getting **** from me all because you support Jigglypuff. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member

That is the most likely case, and I'll I'm saying that if push does come to shove, and someone does have to go, Lucario will most likely be the one to go, that's all. I'm not saying Lucario is a bad choice, I'm not saying Sakurai would make a good choice with all Gen 1 Pokemon (Or whatever Noah put in my mouth), that's all I'm saying. If Lucario is the one who gets revealed next month, hats off to you, but until then, that's my opinion, respect mine and I'll respect yours.
Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom