• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
For the Ridley thing, they've tried many times to add him. Melee, they couldn't get his tail programmed right and found it too hard to try and work him in from a programming stand point. Brawl, Probably just decided to put him in the game for fans in SSE. He may finally consider making him playable since some Ridley fans saw that as a slap in the face.

On a side note...Pokemon. They seem to be the only franchise that just gets some rando new popular character added in Melee and Brawl. Pikachu and Jiggs (due to her Original 12 status) seem pretty much standard at this point. PKMN Trainer is a big deal too, so I expect him back no problem. But in Melee, Mewtwo was added for popularity's sake at the time. He's was also very recent. Then came along Lucario, the freshest, newest, current gen popular Pokemon, hence his addition. I expect the same thing again, however, I think it'll be Mewtwo. He fits that mold by being the newest, freshest, current gen guy in Pokemon through his new form, plus he gets the bonus of already being hugely popular anyway as well as being from a previous Smash.
Heres hoping mewtwo can jump between his normal form and his new one.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Tales of: Here's the original English interview so you guys don't have to go through all the French stuff.

Well, I'm going to contend now (you probably aren't going to fight this) that popularity is going to be one of the more important reasons this time around, because, y'know, the whole bottom-of-the-barrel thing.
Popularity is definitely going to be more scarce this time around, but this isn't supply and demand, popularity still only gets characters noticed. Now that possible newcomers are growing less and less popular and notable in comparison to their veteran counterparts, it means that popularity means less that it ever did before (though personally to me it's about the same). Looking at past veterans who got in without fan imput (Ex. Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Roy, Ike, Snake) it's arguable that popularity is the least important criteria.

That's not to say popularity hasn't played a major role in certain characters getting in, but is however, only a small portion of just one of the criteria. Yes, believe it or not popularity isn't a criteria, the criteria we all keep referring to states: "The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game." This doesn't automatically mean "popularity," here's another example:

/rant

Sorry if I went all out, going back through some stuff I actually ended up blowing my mind on a few things and I felt like expressing it.

Fisico

Smash Rookie
Listing as an example =/= claiming as a character he would love to see.

Also, why is it only the French version of the interview that mentions Lloyd directly by name?
Hi, just subscribed to answer this (I was looking at the logs of the website)

I'm the administrator of KoT and the one who mainly asked the questions in the aforementioned link, however I'm not the one who did the translation in english so that's why there maybe some kinds of odd things between the two version here and there.

Anyway I can tell you he mentionned specifically Lloyd, not only as an exemple but also because it would be the character which would fit the best in a Smash Bros.

As a reminder, we talked about Smash Bros because Yo****o Higuchi is one of the main dev of Bamco working on Smash Bros, previously he worked on Soul Calibur 2 and mainly Tales of Symphonia Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia, with the latest two as the director.

Thus he's a good friend of Makoto Yoshizumi which is (well was, since it's been disbanded) the head of the Tales Studio.

With all those Bamco's dev working on Smash Bros it is legitimate to think there could be some cameo characters from their firm, with Tales as one of their biggest brand (in Japan mostly) it could be that it would get one character in the roster.

That's where he told us that this character HAD TO be in a game appearing on a Nintendo platform, and that Lloyd would be the best candidate since he fit that pattern on a worldwide scale and is the main character of the best selling episode of the series.

And with Tales of Symphonia Chronicles coming next year this popularity is not gonna fade any time soon

D

Deleted member

I more-or-less mean the only one that got in off of popularity or popularity having some effect. (Asides from SAWNIC)

-Ike was added in because of interest from the company and Sakurai himself
-Wario/Pit/Meta-Knight were before the polls and everything.
-King Dedede has importance to his franchise
-Diddy Kong has the same
-Lucas has been one of the very few wanted ever since Smash 64
-Pikmin & Olimar more or less fit as a new series
-Wolf has importance
-Blah blah blah for the rest of the characters I didn't get into.

Even then, Lucario might have not been as much popularity and instead Gamefreak going "Check this **** out" and Sakurai being like "oh cool i'll add it" along with the other three producers. Also even then while many were popular on the Brawl poll, that's probably not what even pushed since they were mostly done with a lot of features by then.
Pit's inclusion was in part due to popularity. Sakurai noticed that Pit was highly requested in both the East and the West.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Really now? I don't remember Pit being requested at all, but the point still stands. Either way, it'll be the past polls looked at as well for the reasons I've stated. All we can hope is maybe with Namco-Bandai involved they could create an official community or something, but after seeing MvC3 and MKWii, I'm kind-of scared of that thought...

D

Deleted member

Hi, just subscribed to answer this (I was looking at the logs of the website)

I'm the administrator of KoT and the one who mainly asked the questions in the aforementioned link, however I'm not the one who did the translation in english so that's why there maybe some kinds of odd things between the two version here and there.

Anyway I can tell you he mentionned specifically Lloyd, not only as an exemple but also because it would be the character which would fit the best in a Smash Bros.

As a reminder, we talked about Smash Bros because Yo****o Higuchi is one of the main dev of Bamco working on Smash Bros, previously he worked on Soul Calibur 2 and mainly Tales of Symphonia Tales of the Abyss and Tales of Vesperia, with the latest two as the director.

Thus he's a good friend of Makoto Yoshizumi which is (well was, since it's been disbanded) the head of the Tales Studio.

With all those Bamco's dev working on Smash Bros it is legitimate to think there could be some cameo characters from their firm, with Tales as one of their biggest brand (in Japan mostly) it could be that it would get one character in the roster.

That's where he told us that this character HAD TO be in a game appearing on a Nintendo platform, and that Lloyd would be the best candidate since he fit that pattern on a worldwide scale and is the main character of the best selling episode of the series.

And with Tales of Symphonia Chronicles coming next year this popularity is not gonna fade any time soon
Thanks for the clarification.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Oh dear.

I just read this entire thread...kinda surprised my eyes still function. >_<

Not gonna bother writing up or making a roster, since I wouldn't really have anything new to add. But this has been an entertaining read. I feel lucky that most of the characters I want seem to have decent shots this time around though!

I'd forgotten how much fun the pre-Smash hype and arguments are...this is gonna be fun!

*looks forward to future debate*

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Finally have some descriptions, some may be off due to my big headache just to make this:

Best NES Retro Reps:
Takamaru: Probably the most obvious rep, has been given some extra popularity since the minigame of Nintendoland. I think this character would be the best obscure Retro rep to fit into Smash.

Balloon Fighter: He obviously has the same reason as Takamaru, but I think it’s finally the time to make him a character, given the fact there was a pirahna in an Ice Climbers stage in Brawl. Personally, to me, that’s a big hint with many of his references in many other Nintendo games (notably Warioware).

Best Gameboy Retro Rep:
Prince Sable: I think if Nintendo were to decide of a Gameboy rep, Sakurai would choose Prince Sable. Prince Sable is part of an amazing game called “For The Frog The Bell Tolls”, which was unfortunately was a Japanese exclusive Gameboy game. The game had a story with themes similar to Earthbound, it had unique gameplay being similar to Zelda. If Sakurai were to add him, he would have to get Prince Sable’s character, description, and personality right to tell people, his inclusion was worth it and maybe worth it for a revival.

Best Additional KI:U Reps:
Palutena + Dark Pit + Hades: The only reason I combined these guys together is because there are lots of interesting characters in KI:U (In which Sakurai made) that could make it to Smash 4. Palutena is a shoe in, but Dark Pit and Hades have a little extra reason. Because Sakurai had the interest to add new awesome KI characters into the franchise, and the fact there won’t be a sequel to KI:U (Like Sakurai saying there won’t be a sequel to KI:U for a long time), I think it’s a perfect time to showcase these new characters in action.

Best Additional Metroid Rep:
Ridley: This character is surprisingly the most requested Nintendo character for Smash. I’m actually surprised Sakurai hasn’t give an extra bump for the (popular) Metroid franchise. Ridley fits perfectly into Smash, the only way for him to get in is if Sakurai listens to it’s fans.

Best New RPG Rep:
Shulk: Again, I don’t have much knowledge about Xenoblade, but I think he’s a better choice for an RPG rep than Isaac. I think it’s Shulk’s time to be in the game, because he would be identified as ignored for years if he wasn’t in Smash. Xenoblade Chronicles is the only game Shulk appears in, it’s that time to use.

Best currently popular Rep:
Little Mac: Since the revival of Punch-Out, the popularity of Mac has grown. I think Sakurai can finally make this guy a character, he is no longer obscure to anyone. I don’t really have much to say though, I don’t know much about Punch Out! either.

Tom Nook: I think it’s finally the time Animal Crossing got a rep for Smash. The popularity is noticeably huge, I think many people would be interested in Tom Nook as a playable character, to me he has more personality than a dang regular villager. I would imagine he would have a pretty silly moveset.

Best Additional Pokemon Rep:
N: I still think N could make this one. What did this trainer accomplish? The first rival to ever own a Legendary Pokemon, being a major part of the plot of Pokemon Black/White, and a unique graceful personality (Watch the current Pokemon anime to find out what I mean). His Pokemon could range differently with different generation Pokemon, but the first Pokemon he would use is obviously Zoroark, and personally the other 2 Pokemon could be Carracosta and Archeops. But, I could alway replace N with Blue (Gary Oak) for being the first rival of Pokemon, I would go either way.

Mewtwo: I think Mewtwo is a great choice, it would represent a big return for Mewtwo with his new form (Which could be a final Smash). He sadly would replace Lucario as a sacrifice.

Best Additional Fire Emblem Rep:

Chrom: I really don’t know much about FE, but all I can say is that if Nintendo and Sakurai had to agree on what FE character is currently best representing the franchise, it would be Chrom.

Best Addition DKC Reps:

King K. Rool + Dixie Kong: I’m questioning why the DKC doesn’t have enough reps. I think Dixie Kong and King K. Rool would fit perfectly into Smash. The only reason they would both have to be playable in Smash is because logically something is missing that represents the whole entire DKC series despite being the 4th best selling Nintendo franchise (Dixie representing DKC3 and King K. Rool representing the villain of DKC series).

Best Additional Earthbound Rep:

Ninten: Going with the idea that all heros of a franchise should be represented, I think Ninten is the perfect choice as the last Mother rep. I’m sure Sakurai can make Ninten (in terms of looks and moveset) different to make Ninten awesome as Ness. Plus, most of the Mother music the Smash series gets is based on the many songs of Mother 1 and Mother is also the top 10 NES games according to Famicom. Of course, Porky can be in instead of Ninten to represent the best of Mother.

Best Additional Historical Rep:

Nester: The historical rep can be anyone, but if there was one historic rep that could define obscurity (like R.O.B.) and help live on the life of Nintendo Power, it would be Nester. This guy was part of a magazine that was a player’s guide for every-gamer in the 1980s. I think he would get in if Sakurai did some wholesome research on Nintendo everywhere.

Best Additional Starfox Rep:

Krystal: Being different from other Starfox reps, Krystal fits perfectly into Smash for a fourth rep of the popular Starfox series. The only way she can get in is if a Starfox game (involving her) were to be developed.

Best 3rd Parties:

Bayonetta: This probably is not personally my opinion and my choice, but if I were to add the partnership between Sega and Nintendo, and combine that with recentness, it would be Bayonetta.

Goku: Please do not go nuts, just let me explain this one. Goku is the most popular and powerful (manga/anime) character of all time. With Namco Bandai working on the next Smash (Who owns the videogame rights to the Dragonball franchise), it might be actually possible for Goku to join Smash. The only step Goku has to go through is whether Sakurai decides to let off his criteria on a Non-Nintendo (videogame) character.

Megaman: This character is one of the most requested 3rd party characters for Smash 4. The support comes from both the interest of Capcom and the amount of games in Nintendo systems Megaman has been in. I’m not going to say much, but I think Megaman would represent a partnership between Capcom and Nintendo.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
4 Kid Icarus reps? Are you out of your mind? Though you usually are.

Maybe he put in Hades otherwise Ashley would grant him to hell. :troll:

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit is already pretty much a colour scheme for Pit in Brawl and so he should remain. He could never be anything other than a clone and any attempts to give him a unique moveset could be better spent on a more unique character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
EVERYONE'S COMING BACK! THIS CALLS FOR caps.

Yes, that was necessary. And yeah, you missed a lot. We're getting Smash news on Tuesday.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Dark Pit is already pretty much a colour scheme for Pit in Brawl and so he should remain. He could never be anything other than a clone and any attempts to give him a unique moveset could be better spent on a more unique character.
The only way to give Dark Pit a unique moveset would be giving him a different weapon than a Bow. KI: Uprising had a crapload of weapons that can be choosen from.

I wouldn't mind Dark Pit as a simple recolor and voice swap. That's all it's needed to have Dark Pit playable.

And now, a question for everyone:
If Dark Pit made in as a playable character and had claws as the weapon (see picture below), would you mind him in the roster?

On BluePikmin11's roster: replace Ninten with Porky, replace Goku with Lloyd, remove N and Nester to add Roy and Lucario and it wouldn't be a bad roster for me.

EDIT: Venus is back? Seems like everyone is returning for the hype train that awaits us next week! :laugh:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only way to give Dark Pit a unique moveset would be giving him a different weapon than a Bow. KI: Uprising had a crapload of weapons that can be choosen from.

I wouldn't mind Dark Pit as a simple recolor and voice swap. That's all it's needed to have Dark Pit playable.

And now, a question for everyone:
If Dark Pit made in as a playable character and had claws as the weapon (see picture below), would you mind him in the roster?

On BluePikmin11's roster: replace Ninten with Porky, replace Goku with Lloyd, remove N and Nester to add Roy and Lucario and it wouldn't be a bad roster for me.

EDIT: Venus is back? Seems like everyone is returning for the hype train that awaits us next week! :laugh:
I agree on Ninten, Stuck between Goku and Lloyd, a bit iffy on Roy and Lucario, and no on N, N seems like a perfect opportunity here.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hence why I came back....and I missed the community here. I became very busy at my job to the point of despairity but all is well now.

I've been browsing the thread a little. Very interesting. The Noah section had me laughing. Has there been any new developments?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I've been browsing the thread a little. Very interesting. The Noah section had me laughing. Has there been any new developments?
Not specifically for Smash. Some other game announcements(like the 3 exclusive Sonic games, and the ToS remake) have kinda got people talking or changing their opinions on characters, but nothing much else.

Edit: Also for some reason Thajra is becoming a semi-popular request for a new FE character....

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nice! A ToS remake would be cool. I'm interested in seeing the new Mewtwo form's chances in being included

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My lack of predilection regarding Dark Pit's inclusion is not dependent on whether he is wielding a different weapon. In fact, I wouldn't want him too, because like I say all the time on this subject, he needs to be either a skin or, if present in SSB4, a modification or mode for Pit (i.e. Dr. Mario and the like).

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Finally have some descriptions
Good.

Takamaru: Probably the most obvious rep, has been given some extra popularity since the minigame of Nintendoland. I think this character would be the best obscure Retro rep to fit into Smash.
Okay, I can agree with this one.

Balloon Fighter: He obviously has the same reason as Takamaru, but I think it’s finally the time to make him a character, given the fact there was a pirahna in an Ice Climbers stage in Brawl. Personally, to me, that’s a big hint with many of his references in many other Nintendo games (notably Warioware).
I can go with it, but it seems less likely.

Best Gameboy Retro Rep:
Why does this need to be a thing?

Prince Sable: I think if Nintendo were to decide of a Gameboy rep, Sakurai would choose Prince Sable. Prince Sable is part of an amazing game called “For The Frog The Bell Tolls”, which was unfortunately was a Japanese exclusive Gameboy game. The game had a story with themes similar to Earthbound, it had unique gameplay being similar to Zelda. If Sakurai were to add him, he would have to get Prince Sable’s character, description, and personality right to tell people, his inclusion was worth it and maybe worth it for a revival.
Okay, I can see the benefit and reasoning here, though I still find it less likely.

Palutena + Dark Pit + Hades: The only reason I combined these guys together is because there are lots of interesting characters in KI:U (In which Sakurai made) that could make it to Smash 4. Palutena is a shoe in, but Dark Pit and Hades have a little extra reason. Because Sakurai had the interest to add new awesome KI characters into the franchise, and the fact there won’t be a sequel to KI:U (Like Sakurai saying there won’t be a sequel to KI:U for a long time), I think it’s a perfect time to showcase these new characters in action.
So you think KI is gonna jump from one rep to four, one of them a clone? It'll be three tops, and likely two. My money's on Palutena.

Ridley: This character is surprisingly the most requested Nintendo character for Smash. I’m actually surprised Sakurai hasn’t give an extra bump for the (popular) Metroid franchise. Ridley fits perfectly into Smash, the only way for him to get in is if Sakurai listens to it’s fans.
Ridley I find incredibly likely.

Best New RPG Rep:
Shulk: Again, I don’t have much knowledge about Xenoblade, but I think he’s a better choice for an RPG rep than Isaac.
Why?
Also since when is genre rep a thing?

Isaac's more important to Nintendo than Shulk. I don't doubt Shulk, but over Isaac? Nah.

he would be identified as ignored for years if he wasn’t in Smash.
Unless he's in another Xenoblade...?

Little Mac: Since the revival of Punch-Out, the popularity of Mac has grown. I think Sakurai can finally make this guy a character, he is no longer obscure to anyone. I don’t really have much to say though, I don’t know much about Punch Out! either.
Little Mac's a likely contender. I expect to see him at E3.

Tom Nook: I think it’s finally the time Animal Crossing got a rep for Smash. The popularity is noticeably huge, I think many people would be interested in Tom Nook as a playable character, to me he has more personality than a dang regular villager. I would imagine he would have a pretty silly moveset.
Yeahhhno. Sakurai has specifically said AC characters don't belong in Smash. I agree and doubt his position has changed much.

N: I still think N could make this one. What did this trainer accomplish? The first rival to ever own a Legendary Pokemon, being a major part of the plot of Pokemon Black/White, and a unique graceful personality (Watch the current Pokemon anime to find out what I mean). His Pokemon could range differently with different generation Pokemon, but the first Pokemon he would use is obviously Zoroark, and personally the other 2 Pokemon could be Carracosta and Archeops. But, I could alway replace N with Blue (Gary Oak) for being the first rival of Pokemon, I would go either way.
Why would we get another Pokémon Trainer? Six playable Pokémon isn't enough?

Mewtwo: I think Mewtwo is a great choice, it would represent a big return for Mewtwo with his new form (Which could be a final Smash).
Agreed!

He sadly would replace Lucario as a sacrifice.
Disagreed!

Chrom: I really don’t know much about FE, but all I can say is that if Nintendo and Sakurai had to agree on what FE character is currently best representing the franchise, it would be Chrom.
Why Chrom instead of Roy's return?
Legitimately curious.

King K. Rool + Dixie Kong: I’m questioning why the DKC doesn’t have enough reps. I think Dixie Kong and King K. Rool would fit perfectly into Smash. The only reason they would both have to be playable in Smash is because logically something is missing that represents the whole entire DKC series despite being the 4th best selling Nintendo franchise (Dixie representing DKC3 and King K. Rool representing the villain of DKC series).
K. Rool will almost certainly be in. Dixie...maybe. I'm not quite sure of that. I think she's about fifty-fifty.

Ninten: Going with the idea that all heros of a franchise should be represented, I think Ninten is the perfect choice as the last Mother rep.
*snorts*
...oh, you're serious?

I’m sure Sakurai can make Ninten (in terms of looks and moveset) different to make Ninten awesome as Ness. Plus, most of the Mother music the Smash series gets is based on the many songs of Mother 1 and Mother is also the top 10 NES games according to Famicom. Of course, Porky can be in instead of Ninten to represent the best of Mother.
Can =/= will. Ninten and Ness look almost identical and play similarly in-game. Brawl got enough flack for having the three SF characters be clones (ish). You really wanna send Mother down that road too?

If Ninten was ever gonna be in, he would've been in already.

Nester: The historical rep can be anyone, but if there was one historic rep that could define obscurity (like R.O.B.) and help live on the life of Nintendo Power, it would be Nester. This guy was part of a magazine that was a player’s guide for every-gamer in the 1980s. I think he would get in if Sakurai did some wholesome research on Nintendo everywhere.
What game was he in?

Krystal: Being different from other Starfox reps, Krystal fits perfectly into Smash for a fourth rep of the popular Starfox series. The only way she can get in is if a Starfox game (involving her) were to be developed.
Blugh no.

Bayonetta: This probably is not personally my opinion and my choice, but if I were to add the partnership between Sega and Nintendo, and combine that with recentness, it would be Bayonetta.
Yeahno. I think her games are a little... *coughs* ...mature for Smash Bros. Besides, if SEGA gets another character, I'd imagine it'd be another Sonic character.

MORE LIKE NOKU AMIRITE

The only step Goku has to go through is whether Sakurai decides to let off his criteria on a Non-Nintendo (videogame) character.
Why would he?

And why would he for ****ing Goku?

Megaman: This character is one of the most requested 3rd party characters for Smash 4. The support comes from both the interest of Capcom and the amount of games in Nintendo systems Megaman has been in. I’m not going to say much, but I think Megaman would represent a partnership between Capcom and Nintendo.
This one I agree with.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My lack of predilection regarding Dark Pit's inclusion as not dependent on whether he is wielding a different weapon. In fact, I wouldn't want him too, because like I say all the time on this subject, he needs to be either a skin or, if present in SSB4, a modification or mode for Pit (i.e. Dr. Mario and the like).
That's my position on Dark Pit and Dr. Mario too: as alternate modes.

Same goes for Ninten.

Mario > Dr. Mario
Pit > Dark Pit
Ness > Ninten

And maybe:
Marth > Masked Marth / Lucina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom