• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'd say Symphona with friends (The "Generic RPG Cliche drinking game" is perfect with that game, even with just water) or Tales of the Abyss on 3DS. Both are fantastic and Abyss on 3DS is pretty streamlined in leveling compared to the original on PS2 (GRINDINGGGG) - Also be reminded multiplayer exists for a reason.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
As far as how Palutena's popularity will fair, other characters that may be considered "flavor of the month," such as Ghirahim and Zoroark, have died down in popularity, while Palutena remained popular.

And she doesn't have licensing issues like Geno, so the comparison doesn't fit.
Great point.

The only reason why Pac-Man gets the most support for a Namco character in the West is because of the Tales's relative obscurity in here. In Japan where Tales is much bigger, a Tales rep is very strongly demanded (only Mega Man is more requested for a third-party). Had Tales experienced similar popularity in the West, a Tales rep would definitely be among the Top 10 most wanted characters.
interesting. Honestly I've never really given Lloyd much consideration and always assumed it would be Pac. But I know very little about the series so maybe you're right.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
That logic doesn't really work. That's all hypothetical and there is nothing to prove it.
I know but the fact that Namcos shown interest in Tekken and Tales of characters probably means they weren't being planned and I don't think Sakurai would go and change his mind on there inclusion unless they get a huge amount of requests like Sonic which isn't happening. Also it's all Sakurai's decision I doubt he'll add characters just because Namco workers want them in. I'm just saying that Namco not talking about Pac-Man is probably a better thing then a worse thing.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Godzillathewonderdog said:
I know but the fact that Namcos shown interest in Tekken and Tales of characters probably means they weren't being planned
Huge opinion there, that's not logical at all.

But yeah I've been preaching Lloyd over Pac and even Mega Man for awhile now. I just think his Japanese popularity and Namco's involvement will really help him out. Lloyd just has closer ties to everything than Mega Man, plus he'd fit the universe very well. And he'd be a nice unique style of sword fighting.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Just for clarification, no third party is more likely then a Nintendo character. By heart, Super Smash Bros. is a Nintendo crossover and it will be treated as such.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Just for clarification, no third party is more likely then a Nintendo character. By heart, Super Smash Bros. is a Nintendo crossover and it will be treated as such.

Completely 100% agree. I've also said this in other threads. Just out of curiosity, what is everyone's top 2 or 3 picks for a realistic 3rd party candidate?

D

Deleted member

Here's my Top 3 most realistic third-party newcomers:
1. Mega Man
2. Professor Layton
3. Lloyd Irving

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
And now we get to the time when we have nothing really to talk about and there really isn't anyone around. Awkward Silence. Whoops I stand corrected only took 17 minutes.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Huge opinion there, that's not logical at all.

But yeah I've been preaching Lloyd over Pac and even Mega Man for awhile now. I just think his Japanese popularity and Namco's involvement will really help him out. Lloyd just has closer ties to everything than Mega Man, plus he'd fit the universe very well. And he'd be a nice unique style of sword fighting.
What I'm trying to get at is why would someone working on a game talk about wanting a character in the game when they already know they're going to be in the game? It's like if K. Rool was planned to be in the game and Sakurai says "I really want K. Rool to be in this game" when he already knows he's going to be in the game. I don't know, maybe I'm over thinking this.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Namco would be allowed 2 reps because they are helping with the game. Probably not. I guess.

Edit: More awkward silence

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's rather funny how easy it is to talk about 3rd party characters and yet it's so hard to talk about 3rd parties.

Konami Man.
and the scantily clad Konami Lady.
Actually thought about buying Wai Wai World the other day off Amazon.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I really don't think Pac-Man is as likely as people think. Sonic was a popularity contest, and Snake was a pre-determined special case.

Pac-Man just doesn't have that, whereas Mega Man already wins the popularity contest. If we get *any* of them, it's probably Mega Man.

And there really isn't any evidence for Pac-Man, aside from people labeling him the mascot of Namco (He sort of is) and making that the reason he'd be chosen over all others, including characters like Lloyd, whose series has actually been mentioned.

Still don't think we're getting a Namco character though.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I really don't think Pac-Man is as likely as people think. Sonic was a popularity contest, and Snake was a pre-determined special case.

Pac-Man just doesn't have that, whereas Mega Man already wins the popularity contest. If we get *any* of them, it's probably Mega Man.

Or Lloyd. They both have the popularity, uniqueness, and both fit perfectly. It's gonna be one of those 2 for sure. I still think only 1 new 3rd party will get in though. 1>0>2 3rd parties added is how I see the chances. Pac Man is really just not that popular anymore, especially not after his 3D look came out.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Or Lloyd. They both have the popularity, uniqueness, and both fit perfectly. It's gonna be one of those 2 for sure. I still think only 1 new 3rd party will get in though. 1>0>2 3rd parties added is how I see the chances. Pac Man is really just not that popular anymore, especially not after his 3D look came out.
Man I really hope we get 2 so we can have Lloyd and mega man.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I'm not keen on Mega Man or any new 3rd party honestly. I'm just a die hard 1st party only guy though lol. I didn't even like Sonic, or even Snake making it. So honestly, if I had to only have 1 new addition, I'd be happiest with Lloyd though.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And there really isn't any evidence for Pac-Man, aside from people labeling him the mascot of Namco (He sort of is) and making that the reason he'd be chosen over all others, including characters like Lloyd, whose series has actually been mentioned.

Still don't think we're getting a Namco character though.
And Pac will be another special case if he makes it.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
And Pac will be another special case if he makes it.
It's true he would be a "special case", but I somehow doubt he'd be in the same situation as Snake, and while Snake was a gigantic hype builder, I just don't see it eliciting the same reaction, even as Mega Man.

For persoective, I have yet to meet a single person in real life who likes the idea of Pac Man, or at the very least doesn't say "Eww" (I'm not even joking) Despite my explaining that he's Namco's mascot. I should also say they always follow that up with"What about Mega Man or Lloyd from ToS? Isn't that Namco?"

I mean, it cod easily happen, but I just don't see it as wise. While Snake was an unlikely surprise, he was generally well received. Pac does have fans, but...

Bajef8

Smash Ace
It's true he would be a "special case", but I somehow doubt he'd be in the same situation as Snake, and while Snake was a gigantic hype builder, I just don't see it eliciting the same reaction, even as Mega Man.

For persoective, I have yet to meet a single person in real life who likes the idea of Pac Man, or at the very least doesn't say "Eww" (I'm not even joking) Despite my explaining that he's Namco's mascot. I should also say they always follow that up with"What about Mega Man or Lloyd from ToS? Isn't that Namco?"

I mean, it cod easily happen, but I just don't see it as wise. While Snake was an unlikely surprise, he was generally well received. Pac does have fans, but...
This.

I think honestly to build hype at E3 they will either focus the trailer on returning characters, or newcomer villains (Ridley, K. Rool, Jr.). Purely opinion, but it'd definitely work. Unfortunately, I bet it's mostly a look at the Wii U/3DS connectivity interactions we can do :/

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm glad to see that Lloyd has so much support. I'm almost done with Tales of Symphonia, and I see him as a great candidate for Smash Bros. 4.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This.

I think honestly to build hype at E3 they will either focus the trailer on returning characters, or newcomer villains (Ridley, K. Rool, Jr.). Purely opinion, but it'd definitely work. Unfortunately, I bet it's mostly a look at the Wii U/3DS connectivity interactions we can do :/
The first part: Yes please! Show me K. Rool and Ridley first thing and I'll be totally happy. (That's super unlikely)

Second part: Definitely a possibility, but they're going to show us SOMETHING awesome to build hype. There's a reason the Xbox One conference was a cautionary tale, and REALLY:cry: hoping they don't do that.

D

Deleted member

As much as Lloyd would fit as a Tales character, he's not the only option. And arguably not exactly the most likely one, though that's a separate issue entirely.
There's Cless, the original protagonist and the character used for the logo of the series.
There's Luke, the main character of the latest game in the series to be on a Nintendo system (even if it's just a port of an older game).
There's Shing, main character of the last original game in the series (as in, not a port) to be on a Nintendo system. It used to be a Nintendo exclusive, though recently it got a PSP remake.
There's Yuri, the voted fan-favorite of the series who has made a few Nintendo appearances despite the game he comes only being on 360 and PS3.

There's also Emil and Luca, but they are hardly significant (and given that Emil is from Symphonia's sequel, Lloyd would easily be chosen over him).

Bajef8

Smash Ace
As much as Lloyd would fit as a Tales character, he's not the only option. And arguably not exactly the most likely one, though that's a separate issue entirely.
There's Cless, the original protagonist and the character used for the logo of the series.
There's Luke, the main character of the latest game in the series to be on a Nintendo system (even if it's just a port of an older game).
There's Shing, main character of the last original game in the series (as in, not a port) to be on a Nintendo system. It used to be a Nintendo exclusive, though recently it got a PSP remake.
There's Yuri, the voted fan-favorite of the series who has made a few Nintendo appearances despite the game he comes only being on 360 and PS3.

There's also Emil and Luca, but they are hardly significant (and given that Emil is from Symphonia's sequel, Lloyd would easily be chosen over him).
Well you've eliminated Yuri by pointing out he's never been on a Nintendo console. And Lloyd's just the next most popular Tales guy, especially in Japan.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
1st: Mega Man
2nd: Namco rep (Lloyd Irving, Pac-Man, no idea)
3rd: Simon Belmont (although I don't know if he'd conflict with Snake).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd say due to Lloyd's worldwide popularity, association with Nintendo, and that Tales producer (who is also working on Smash) mentioning Lloyd specifically as a character he'd like to see included, he probably has the best chances for a Tales character, but I agree he's definitely not the only option.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Well you've eliminated Yuri by pointing out he's never been on a Nintendo console. And Lloyd's just the next most popular Tales guy, especially in Japan.
Also Luke's more popular than Lloyd among the fans. I can tell why his game didn't get a sequel and Symphonia did and I'm only 2/3rd's of the way done with Abyss. Lloyd's got good standings, but Yiri, Luke, and to a smaller extent, Cress, are all very plausible.

Sidenote: WAY too much assumptions are going on about third-parties. The ways Snake and Sonic were added in aren't the only ways. Snake was just added in as a friend thing, and Sonic was raw popularity - Maybe the favor thing can happen again, but I think the most likely scenario for the most part is someone going to Sakurai, instead of the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom