• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I should rephrase what I meant. I did not mean to import the Sheriff's old sprites to Smash. I mean to redesign Sheriff while keeping his white sprite appearance. As I said earlier, it makes for a nice foil for MGW, seems to go well with the character, and better represents the character as a whole since that is how he has been depicted in game.

Basically, I wouldn't want a totally redesigned Sheriff that is both realistic and altered. I purely want his white sprite appearance that harkens back to his old games,. Much like MRG.
I should rephrase what I meant. I did not mean to import the Sheriff's old sprites to Smash. I mean to redesign Sheriff while keeping his white sprite appearance. As I said earlier, it makes for a nice foil for MGW, seems to go well with the character, and better represents the character as a whole since that is how he has been depicted in game.

Basically, I wouldn't want a totally redesigned Sheriff that is both realistic and altered. I purely want his white sprite appearance that harkens back to his old games,. Much like MRG.
I don't understand. Why does that best depict him as appose to Ice Climbers, Pit, or Ness? Mr. Game & Watch got his in game appearance because he was basically representing a game console where almost every character looked like that. That was the most common sprite and he wouldn't really be Mr. Game & Watch if he didn't look like that, it also would not make sense then if he was beeping and ringing. It's not a matter of having an in game sprite that is only 1 color. Even if it was how you shoudl represent him it wouldn't work very well.

Anyway I made my own move set for Sheriff

Neutral B: Gun (it shoots a white bar like in the game)
Forward B: Horse
Downard B: Sheild (he hides behind a wooden barrier like in the game, you can also shoot while doing this by pressing B again)
Upward B: Lasso (You can charge this. It not only pulls you up on ledges, but also characters, similar to C. Falcon)
Grab: Lasso

FINAL SMASH: Sheriff (Sheriff turns into his in game sprite and a transparent overlay of the game shows on screen. You can now float around in any direction shooting people)

Gune

Smash Lord
I don't know...I felt more for Latios' sacrifice at the end of Pokemon Heroes than I did for Lucario. Hell, I felt MUCH more for all the torture poor Zoroark went through to get her baby back. Not to mention it was so damn slow, nothing really happened until about 45 minutes in. It felt like they were trying to pull another Ash dying in the first movie on us with the whole bacteria feasting thing that went on, and it just didn't work.
Well that's just how you felt about it personally I thought zoroark was just trying to pull the sympathy card just like lucario did it wasn't all that good to me (part of the reason why dislike her) but I get all treaty when people sacrifice themselves that's why latios and Lucario are boss.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hopes, no. Thinks, yes.

He's pretty much in the same boat as Toad, or at least will be when Dedede is revealed with his Waddle Dees.
But Bandana Dee isn't a normal waddle dee,he is king dedede's partner,in kirby's return to dreamland you can play as him,he has a spear and can attack other normal waddle dees.
I think and hope that he can be playable.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I say he would have made a place for about another gen, but now, for being the mascot of a television show, a pokemon that continues to be marketed here in 6th Gen, I just don't see that happening without his commercial success in Brawl. Also, it's also more along the lines that Lucario took and used said popularity boost positively, unlike Lucas, where we've yet to receive anything from Japan in terms of Mother 3.
That's hard to say really, Lucario could've easily followed Pikachu and Meowth and held that place from then on, he definitely had the initial popularity to go for it, just as much as he could've fallen off. Brawl definitely did solidify his high status though, so I do agree with that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
As a person that tends to pick unorthodox choices, Bandanna Dee is still on the fence. The main quirk about the character is the spear, which is at the moment something to consider since we don't have a Turtle character on the roster yet, which is something the character can theoretically fill in.

Gune

Smash Lord
I want bandanna dee but seeing as sakurai doesent want to over rep his franchise I dont think he will add a one off charecter.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
But Bandana Dee isn't a normal waddle dee,he is king dedede's partner,in kirby's return to dreamland you can play as him,he has a spear and can attack other normal waddle dees.
I think and hope that he can be playable.
The problem is that much like Bandanna Dee, there is a Toad that exists as "The" Toad. In Japan, the species is called Kino. Peach's helper is specifically known as Kinopio, aka, "The" Toad... Meaning they are in the same situation as one another, being notable members of a species.
Except the fact that Toad was way more popular.
I never said he wasn't...? They're both notable members of a species already incorporated into royalty's movesets. That puts them in the same boat, regardless of the popularity of one over the other.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I don't understand. Why does that best depict him as appose to Ice Climbers, Pit, or Ness? Mr. Game & Watch got his in game appearance because he was basically representing a game console where almost every character looked like that. That was the most common sprite and he wouldn't really be Mr. Game & Watch if he didn't look like that, it also would not make sense then if he was beeping and ringing. It's not a matter of having an in game sprite that is only 1 color. Even if it was how you shoudl represent him it wouldn't work very well.

Anyway I made my own move set for Sheriff

Neutral B: Gun (it shoots a white bar like in the game)
Forward B: Horse
Downard B: Sheild (he hides behind a wooden barrier like in the game, you can also shoot while doing this by pressing B again)
Upward B: Lasso (You can charge this. It not only pulls you up on ledges, but also characters, similar to C. Falcon)
Grab: Lasso

FINAL SMASH: Sheriff (Sheriff turns into his in game sprite and a transparent overlay of the game shows on screen. You can now float around in any direction shooting people)
I think we are misunderstanding each other. I am not opposed to updating the character - I am all for it. However, I think an updated Sheriff should resemble his in-game sprites rather than an actual sheriff model.

I prefer the left over the right. I personally think that updating the in-game white sprite model represents the character more than an update of the artwork which depicts the actual sheriff. He technically has two models to work from: his in-game sprite or his artwork model.

While the models for Ness, Cpt. Falcon, Ice Climbers, Pit, and MGW can be considered "updated", they all retain their previous looks and design. However, none of them are have different model portrayals while Sheriff has two.

This is just my personal bias though.

RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

So what happens if none of Ridley, K.Rool/Dixie Kong, or Palutena make it into Smash Bros? Chaos? Armageddon?
Through out 2012, I learned how to deal with real life disappointment and this is nothing to me so I'm gonna be like

Side note : Nathan Drake 4 Smash

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm not sure what Bandana/Spear/Waddle Dee's chances are (I don't think they're huge), but I wouldn't mind at all if he were playable.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I really don't see why the Kirby series needs anymore representation than it already has. It has the 3 biggest & major characters by far from the series as playables. Kirby I think will, and should always, remain at those 3. The only vet-series expansions I see as probable are Pokemon, DK, and Metroid. Pokemon because of the fact that is has so many Pokemans in the series, and DK & Metroid for the sake of covering the rest of the major bases. Mario and FE are maybes (potentially adding Jr. & Marth and Ike remain, w/ Roy/Chrom added).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I really don't see why the Kirby series needs anymore representation than it already has. It has the 3 biggest & major characters by far from the series as playables. Kirby I think will, and should always, remain at those 3. The only vet-series expansions I see as probable are Pokemon, DK, and Metroid. Pokemon because of the fact that is has so many Pokemans in the series, and DK & Metroid for the sake of covering the rest of the major bases. Mario and FE are maybes (potentially adding Jr. & Marth and Ike remain, w/ Roy/Chrom added).
I agree. Zelda doesn't necessarily need a new Rep, I guess. The only ones that are important enough to be included are Impa, Tingle, and Tetra. And we barely need anymore than what we have.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I agree. Zelda doesn't necessarily need a new Rep, I guess. The only ones that are important enough to be included are Impa, Tingle, and Tetra. And we barely need anymore than what we have.
I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I am continually baffled by Impa as a choice. Tetra and Vaati to me are the only logical choices left. Tingle is a recurring character, yes, but he isn't some uber important character on par w/ the trio and a 2nd Link.

But yeah I'm honestly seeing the series' I mentioned look like this:
Mario: The big 4 + maybe Bowser Jr.
Zelda: Remains at the 4 it has always had
DK: DK & Diddy + most likely Dixie (very doubtful about K. Rool seeing as he is basically a Rare character and Ninty seems to be ushering out the Kremlings)
Pokemon: The Brawl 4 + Mewtwo
Metroid: Samus/ZSS + Ridley
FE: Marth & Ike w/ either Roy or Chrom OR just Marth & Chrom

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Wouldn't be surprised. I'm not holding up my expectations for anyone.

Ridley has always been an important character, so if he wasn't added before, it would make just as much sense if he wasn't added now.

K. Rool hasn't had an important role in a long time.

Dixie Kong does very little that Diddy can't do.

Palutena...I just don't think Kid Icarus is big enough to need more than Pit.

Of course, there's characters I really want to see, but every character has things going for them, and things going against them. It's still amazing to me; a fighting game that includes Mario, Link, and Pokemon. I'm gonna buy it (both) no matter what happens here on out.
I can appreciate this comment.

I'd like to add my own prediction, or at least my own personal take.

If NONE of those characters make, that means that there are some things that we speculators just CAN'T know. Didn't Sakurai say he was going to be aiming at more newer series representation? That doesn't mean we won't get any established series characters, but I think there's a possibility that we don't get Ridley or K.Rool. I'm much more confident in Dixie Kong and Palutena myself.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I am continually baffled by Impa as a choice. Tetra and Vaati to me are the only logical choices left. Tingle is a recurring character, yes, but he isn't some uber important character on par w/ the trio and a 2nd Link.
Sadly for both Tetra and Vaati(who would probably be the two I'd be most down with as well) their only chance would be if Toon Link returns. Zelda does feel pretty completed already though and has since Melee. Pretty surprising considering it's run time that there's such a small amount of important characters.

I pretty much agree with most of what you said for the series. I just hope Doc doesn't return as the 5th Mario character(although I could see it happening).

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is it possible that Sakurai sees each series as complete? As in, he feels he has the necessities for each series, and because of this, wants to refresh the roster with mostly brand new series?

This could actually be a decent possibility, especially if the next characters revealed are none from the group of Ridley/K.Rool or Dixie/ Mewtwo/Palutena/ Chrom.

We'll have to wait and see.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

But yeah I'm honestly seeing the series' I mentioned look like this:
Mario: The big 4 + maybe Bowser Jr.
Zelda: Remains at the 4 it has always had
DK: DK & Diddy + most likely Dixie (very doubtful about K. Rool seeing as he is basically a Rare character and Ninty seems to be ushering out the Kremlings)
Pokemon: The Brawl 4 + Mewtwo
Metroid: Samus/ZSS + Ridley
FE: Marth & Ike w/ either Roy or Chrom OR just Marth & Chrom
I agree with this. But I can see Impa as a a choice. Maybe as a semi-clone of Sheik, or sakurai can make a unique moveset. She's not completely out of the picture. But I agree, there really isn't anyone left.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is it possible that Sakurai sees each series as complete? As in, he feels he has the necessities for each series, and because of this, wants to refresh the roster with mostly brand new series?

This could actually be a decent possibility, especially if the next characters revealed are none from the group of Ridley/K.Rool or Dixie/ Mewtwo/Palutena/ Chrom.

We'll have to wait and see.
Possibly actually.

I mean we'd say no series should really be complete with just one rep(Yoshi and F-Zero seem to be the exceptions). This is partially why there are so many Ridley and Palutena supporters at the very least. Kid Icarus and Metroid don't feel complete to the fans. No; Zero Suit Samus doesn't cut it either for the fans, in much the same way if Mario consisted of only him and Doc it'd feel incomplete, or Zelda with two Links.

Fire Emblem/Pokemon can never truly be complete due to the hundreds of important characters.

But Sakurai might not see it that way. Or he may. We can only speculate.

I would hope he'd at least consider the Melee cut veterans missing as making those franchises "incomplete" since adding to a franchise then removing something at least in most people's views would seem incomplete.
Looking at Mewtwo and Roy at the very least, but I guess Pichu, Doc and Y. Link could also count for the same reason. SOMEONE out there loved these characters in Melee after all.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
iunno, pokemon and fire emblem could be pretty complete for the most part. With FE, just add in Marth and Ike in every one and maybe a new one each time, and with Pokemon you could honestly keep it to just Lucario/Mewtwo/Jiggs/Pikachu/Pokemon Trainer and be fine; especially since none of those pokemon are going anywhere anytime soon

I'm gonna get a ton of hatred for this already. I can tell.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
iunno, pokemon and fire emblem could be pretty complete for the most part. With FE, just add in Marth and Ike in every one and maybe a new one each time, and with Pokemon you could honestly keep it to just Lucario/Mewtwo/Jiggs/Pikachu/Pokemon Trainer and be fine; especially since none of those pokemon are going anywhere anytime soon

I wouldn't worry, I feel the same. I think those five would be fine for Pokemon until we get a new big thing like Lucario, and then we'll see what happens.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Stating an opinion?

Burn the Witch.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm more excited to play as Bowser than I ever have been for any Smash game. I do wish he looked a little more like that, but it's close enough.
You're not the only one there. I've always loved playing as Bowser, but very quickly learnt I'd get my butt whupped fast by any competent player worth their salt. Not enough to put me off having him as my secondary character in Brawl though.

Looks like Bowser's finally getting the upgrade he badly deserved.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

That's what I'm saying, especially in regards to the Pokemon reps. Pretty much most of the series are complete in my mind, except for maybe Ridley, Jr., and a potential 3rd DK rep (however I think the 2 it has are fine). FE I think should probably just keep Marth & Ike while recycling a 3rd lord for every game or something like that. I do miss Roy and wish he'd be added instead, but I doubt that'll happen.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Donkey Kong & Fire Emblem are the only ones that really need a new character. Although Pokemon needs Mewtwo. I don't think Mario needs any new CHARACTERS so that's a reason I add Paper Mario. Fire Emblem could be fine with just Marth & Ike, but it makes sense to have a new characetr because there are so many.

?????????????

Smash Master
When it comes to already represented series...

I don't think Mario really needs anything else.
I think DK could stand to have more, but it doesn't absolutely need it.
Zelda doesn't really need anything else.
Metroid could potentially get more fleshed out, but it isn't overly necessary.
Kirby has everything it needs.
Star Fox has more than enough. I think the number of Star Fox characters they already have is enough of a means to justify more DK and Metroid characters.
Pokemon and Fire Emblem are always gonna be tricky. I think they have a good system, but the character choices are always gonna change.
I don't see any big need to flesh out Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero, or MOTHER.

EDIT: Forgot Kid Icarus. I've never seen a need for more than Pit. Sure, Palutena is a big part of the series, but I think Pit is enough on his own to represent and encompass everything the series is about. Anyone else is a nice bonus, but not a necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom