• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

So what happens if none of Ridley, K.Rool/Dixie Kong, or Palutena make it into Smash Bros? Chaos? Armageddon?
We behold butthurt everywhere.

To be frank, if they don't make it in, I wouldn't be surprised, but I have a lot of thoughts on my shoulder that I don't feel like venting.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

So what happens if none of Ridley, K.Rool/Dixie Kong, or Palutena make it into Smash Bros? Chaos? Armageddon?
Neither. None of them are shoe-ins and I think most people have come to terms with that, and so far things have been more peaceful than Pre-Brawl, so I don't think we'll see total chaos. That is unless everyone has been lying about how Strong they are.

?????????????

Smash Master
RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

Wouldn't be surprised. I'm not holding up my expectations for anyone.

Ridley has always been an important character, so if he wasn't added before, it would make just as much sense if he wasn't added now.

K. Rool hasn't had an important role in a long time.

Dixie Kong does very little that Diddy can't do.

Palutena...I just don't think Kid Icarus is big enough to need more than Pit.

Of course, there's characters I really want to see, but every character has things going for them, and things going against them. It's still amazing to me; a fighting game that includes Mario, Link, and Pokemon. I'm gonna buy it (both) no matter what happens here on out.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Wouldn't be surprised. I'm not holding up my expectations for anyone.

Ridley has always been an important character, so if he wasn't added before, it would make just as much sense if he wasn't added now.

K. Rool hasn't had an important role in a long time.

Dixie Kong does very little that Diddy can't do.

Palutena...I just don't think Kid Icarus is big enough to need more than Pit.

Of course, there's characters I really want to see, but every character has things going for them, and things going against them. It's still amazing to me; a fighting game that includes Mario, Link, and Pokemon. I'm gonna buy it (both) no matter what happens here on out.
Here is a man with real determination and I respect that.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
My point is that Meowth's only real chance was Smash 64 and for that reason.
What does Meowth have to do with Smash 64?

RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

The roster will still feel like it's lacking something or certain franchises aren't being as represented well as they should be. In short, it will be a disappointment and I will seriously start questioning Sakurai's motives for adding characters. Sure, WTF characters like Wii Fit Trainer are fun ideas, but this is a game revolving around Nintendo All-stars, people we want to play as, and adding a bunch of lesser known characters over the huge gaming icons that have been doing what they do for many years now makes almost no sense to me. Sure, it can help you learn more about classic Nintendo games, but that's not about what Smash is all about, and I seriously hope that Sakurai doesn't go overboard with new franchises before filling in the last few holes in the roster, namely Mewtwo's return, Ridley's place as the second Metroid character, and K.Rool or Dixie to give the fourth biggest Nintendo franchise what it deserves.

?????????????

Smash Master
New Subject: How would you react to Bomberman in Super Smash Brothers 4?
I'd be...okay with that. Like Mega Man, I would consider him a good classic Nintendo 3rd party (he even had that crossover with Wario). I'd just be more surprised than with other 3rd party characters.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
New Subject: How would you react to Bomberman in Super Smash Brothers 4?
That depends if he's replacing anyone. If he's replacing Snake, I'd say why is he here, Snake is more important.

If he's here as well as Snake, I'd have no problem with it, but I just don't find him to be a super-interesting character and I would be surprised Konami didn't take the opportunity to use Simon Belmont as their second rep instead of Bomberman.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That depends if he's replacing anyone. If he's replacing Snake, I'd say why is he here, Snake is more important.

If he's here as well as Snake, I'd have no problem with it, but I just don't find him to be a super-interesting character and I would be surprised Konami didn't take the opportunity to use Simon Belmont as their second rep instead of Bomberman.
I can't stop staring at that awesome Shantae sig!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

****storms for everyone!!

Seriously though, I think the fanbases would be disappointed/mad/butthurt while the general smash community would be neutral with some pockets being surprised/shocked and others overjoyed. But, in the end, I think people would still buy the games even if those characters were not included. I know I would.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
It was his only chance. There are too many Pokemon for him to compete with, He even has to compete with a character who USED to be at a lower level of popularity pre-Smash 64.
I don't see that many competitors for Meowth. The only ones that outclass him at this point are Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo and possibly Lucario. He's the most recurring pokemon in the anime next to Pikachu, and if we talk about pokemon being chosen because of their relevance thanks to the movie, why can't I say the same for a pokemon that's been relevant for MUCH MUCH longer and I can already guarantee that it will continue to be relevant until the franchise comes to a close in the distant future.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I can't decide if Sheriff should be playable or assist trophy. It seems like an important part of Nintendo History.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't see that many competitors for Meowth. The only ones that outclass him at this point are Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo and possibly Lucario(ARE YOU FOR REAL!?!?!?!? SRSLY!?). He's the most recurring pokemon in the anime next to Pikachu, and if we talk about pokemon being chosen because of their relevance thanks to the movie, why can't I say the same for a pokemon that's been relevant for MUCH MUCH longer and I can already guarantee that it will continue to be relevant until the franchise comes to a close in the distant future.
Because it's JUST the anime. JUST..........the anime. And Jigglypuff DOES outclass him especially in the games. Nothing else supports him over characters like Blaziken, Plusle & Minun, Genesect, Eevee, Mew, etc. Only the anime. You seem to think that being recurring in a TV show will make him outclass the most popular Pokemon characters. He's not even popular as a Pokemon, but as a character from the show. I guess all of Ash's Pokemon outclass Mewtwo then, huh? Why are we even having a Meowth discussion?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Because it's JUST the anime. JUST..........the anime. And Jigglypuff DOES outclass him especially in the games. Nothing else supports him over characters like Blaziken, Plusle & Minun, Genesect, Eevee, Mew, etc. Only the anime.
The only thing that supported Lucario for Brawl was the new movie...what exactly is the difference here?

Also, I fail to see how Jigglypuff outclasses Meowth in the games, they both hold no importance and are just normal pokemon you can capture. Sure, there's the singing Jigglypuff that went on to make the Jigglypuff gag in the anime, but that was short-lived. The same can't be said for Meowth, who we already know is going to keep coming back. Not to mention Meowth is featured as a main character for both the first Pokemon Mystery dungeon titles, and while that doesn't mean much, it's more main roles than Jigglypuff has ever received, which continues to sit at none.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Meowth is anything along the lines of the ultimate shoe-in or even that much of a contender, but the fact is that Meowth shouldn't be just cast aside for being only mainly important in the anime, especially when a majority of the pokemon in the game, excluding the pokemon trainer, were in thanks to their importance in various forms of media circulating around the anime, namely the anime itself and the movies.

Pikachu: Main Pokemon of the anime, big mascot
Jigglypuff: Famous Gag pokemon of the anime
Mewtwo: Huge popularity explosion, huge success of first movie
Pichu: The Pichu Bros in the third pokemon movie, reason for being the last character added
Pokemon Trainer: The main character of the games you play, only character directly associated with the games
Lucario: Newer pokemon of Gen 4, Big movie role.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
The only thing that supported Lucario for Brawl was the new movie...what exactly is the difference here?

Also, I fail to see how Jigglypuff outclasses Meowth in the games, they both hold no importance and are just normal pokemon you can capture. Sure, there's the singing Jigglypuff that went on to make the Jigglypuff gag in the anime, but that was short-lived. The same can't be said for Meowth, who we already know is going to keep coming back. Not to mention Meowth is featured as a main character for both the first Pokemon Mystery dungeon titles, and while that doesn't mean much, it's more main roles than Jigglypuff has ever received, which continues to sit at none.
Wrong. Lucario was insanely popular to begin with, otherwise this means Genesect is replacing him. Meowth is not a 3 Time veteran. He's not very high in the Pokemon polls if I recall correctly, and nobody really wants him in Smash over Jigglypuff. In terms of games & Smash people are more interested in characters like Lucario, Genesect, Zoroark, and Blaziken. And now Jigglypuff is a fairy Pokemon so there's that.

What is he to Sakurai besides a Pokeball anyway?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Wrong. Lucario was insanely popular to begin with, otherwise this means Genesect is replacing him. Meowth is not a 3 Time veteran. He's not very high in the Pokemon polls if I recall correctly, and nobody really wants him in Smash over Jigglypuff. In terms of games & Smash people are more interested in characters like Lucario, Genesect, Zoroark, and Blaziken. And now Jigglypuff is a fairy Pokemon so there's that.

What is he to Sakurai besides a Pokeball anyway?
Look at the edit.

Also PS: A good majority of his popularity stems from his appearance in Brawl. If not for that, Lucario would be nowhere near as relevant as he is now.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
RANDOM QUESTION TIME.

What happens? For maybe a week or so, fans of those characters bemoan their absence, before their voices are drowned out by the Sakurai apologists.

In the long run? The game sets the precedent of multiple popular characters missing the roster for arbitrary reasons, potentially diminishing the series' sway with fans in the long run, given that it rode to fame on the backs of such characters.

Gune

Smash Lord
Look at the edit.

Also PS: A good majority of his popularity stems from his appearance in Brawl. If not for that, Lucario would be nowhere near as relevant as he is now.
Actually a lot of his popularity stems from his movie and merchandise that he had and the fact he was something new brawl helped but he was still popular before that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Lucario is still very relevant, and will be for a very long time. He represents this era of Pokemon games, plus he has become very iconic and popular within the series. Also, Mewtwo vs Lucario, come on.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Actually a lot of his popularity stems from his movie and merchandise that he had and the fact he was something new brawl helped but he was still popular before that.
I am well aware he was popular before that, but you have to admit that with the huge commercial success that is the Smash Bros series that it HAD to have some kind of effect on him.

Also, to be honest, I don't know why most of his popularity would stem from the movie...the movie was one of the most boring in the franchise next to Destiny Deoxys. (Puts up flame shields)

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I am well aware he was popular before that, but you have to admit that with the huge commercial success that is the Smash Bros series that it HAD to have some kind of effect on him.

Also, to be honest, I don't know why most of his popularity would stem from the movie...the movie was one of the most boring in the franchise next to Destiny Deoxys. (Puts up flame shields)
That's unfair to throw at him when that practically applies to any other character. Hell, characters like Lucas, ROB, Wolf, etc. wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are now without Smash.

And I personally disagree, I felt that movie was one of Pokémon's better entries, but to each their own.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That doesn't really make much sense. Why would he be his in game sprite? Ice Climbers wasn't.
I should rephrase what I meant. I did not mean to import the Sheriff's old sprites to Smash. I mean to redesign Sheriff while keeping his white sprite appearance. As I said earlier, it makes for a nice foil for MGW, seems to go well with the character, and better represents the character as a whole since that is how he has been depicted in game.

Basically, I wouldn't want a totally redesigned Sheriff that is both realistic and altered. I purely want his white sprite appearance that harkens back to his old games,. Much like MRG.

Gune

Smash Lord

Smash helped in it like said but not as much as you think it did he was everywhere in gen 4 so if he wasn't in brawl I still think he would be advertised today.

The point of the movie wasn't action it was supposed to be sad and a lot of people felt really sympathetic for for his current situation especially when he died sacrificing himself to save the world it just pulled on some heart strings.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
That's unfair to throw at him when that practically applies to any other character. Hell, characters like Lucas, ROB, Wolf, etc. wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are now without Smash.

Bullcrap, that move was far better then Destiny Deoxys.
Characters like Lucas are understandable, since it's a character we wouldn't even KNOW about without Brawl. Wolf was always popular, alot more popular to Starfox fans before Brawl than Lucario was to pokemon fans. Also, ROB isn't technically a character, he's an accessory.

And yes, it was better than Destiny Deoxys, but I can name many movies that are better than Lucario's movie.

Smash helped in it like said but not as much as you think it did he was everywhere in gen 4 so if he wasn't in brawl I still think he would be advertised today.

The point of the movie wasn't action it was supposed to be sad and a lot of people felt really sympathetic for for his current situation especially when he died sacrificing himself to save the world it just pulled on some heart strings.
I don't know...I felt more for Latios' sacrifice at the end of Pokemon Heroes than I did for Lucario. Hell, I felt MUCH more for all the torture poor Zoroark went through to get her baby back. Not to mention it was so damn slow, nothing really happened until about 45 minutes in. It felt like they were trying to pull another Ash dying in the first movie on us with the whole bacteria feasting thing that went on, and it just didn't work.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Characters like Lucas are understandable, since it's a character we wouldn't even KNOW about without Brawl. Wolf was always popular, alot more popular to Starfox fans before Brawl than Lucario was to pokemon fans. Also, ROB isn't technically a character, he's an accessory.

And yes, it was better than Destiny Deoxys, but I can name many movies that are better than Lucario's movie.
Regardless, the idea that a character is made by Smash is a detriment is a poor counterstatement to be made against one's popularity because of course it does, but any character can attest to that. Lucario was very popular in the Gen 4 days and I think even if he didn't get in Brawl that would've continued on into at least Gen 5 (considering Zoroark didn't take off), I think you are underrating him.

Eh, to each their own, like my edit before I think it was one of Pokémon's better movies. Personally, I had more trouble getting into Zoroark's movie for instance initially then I did Lucario's (though I like both).

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Regardless, the idea that a character is made by Smash is a detriment is a poor counterstatement to be made against one's popularity because of course it does, but any character can attest to that. Lucario was very popular in the Gen 4 days and I think even if he didn't get in Brawl that would've continued on into at least Gen 5 (considering Zoroark didn't take off), I think you are underrating him.

Eh, to each their own, like my edit before I think it was one of Pokémon's better movies. Personally, I had more trouble getting into Zoroark's movie for instance initially then I did Lucario's (though I like both).
I say he would have made a place for about another gen, but now, for being the mascot of a television show, a pokemon that continues to be marketed here in 6th Gen, I just don't see that happening without his commercial success in Brawl. Also, it's also more along the lines that Lucario took and used said popularity boost positively, unlike Lucas, where we've yet to receive anything from Japan in terms of Mother 3.

And don't get me started on the Zoroark movie. It was hard to watch...not because it was bad, but it was kind of painful to see Zoroark get tortured so much and practically die if it wasn't for Celebi's power. That was probably the biggest tear jerker I've seen in the movies so far, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom