• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nice to see that the forums are active once more. Anyway, I've tweaked my last roster a little after the last set of updates that we've seen. Most of the changes switch the icons of the confirmed characters to the Smash 4 artworks.

With the introduction of Mega Pokemon, I've started to wane away from Zoroark, and have thought about Lucario's return. Maybe as its Final Smash, Lucario will change into Mega Lucario, which increases the strength of its attacks by 1.5x.

xXBlazeMonkeyXx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xXBlazeMonkeyXx
Nice to see that the forums are active once more. Anyway, I've tweaked my last roster a little after the last set of updates that we've seen. Most of the changes switch the icons of the confirmed characters to the Smash 4 artworks.

With the introduction of Mega Pokemon, I've started to wane away from Zoroark, and have thought about Lucario's return. Maybe as its Final Smash, Lucario will change into Mega Lucario, which increases the strength of its attacks by 1.5x.
are roster look almost the same o3o
3DS Roster.png

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Only things I dislike are Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and Black Shadow.
It's a fine roster though.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think Sakurai is just doing all the popular franchise characters first.
This seems to be possible. However, it can go in any order since Olimar was revealed before Luigi and Peach. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they revealed the next vets as Zelda/.Pokemon next to make people stop going nuts :p

?????????????

Smash Master
Pfffffthahahaha!
Yeah...I don't know how to respond to that. It's not asking "how" or saying I'm wrong, so...I'm just failing to see how making a different moveset would be that difficult. Certainly not impossible.

Sakurai said an emphasis this time will be to bring in characters that are "things that we have not seen before in Smash Bros.". Especially considering that we likely will have a smaller number of newcomers than Brawl did (and possibly even Melee), I don't think Chrom is something we haven't seen yet in Smash Bros. before, especially coming after Marth, Roy, and Ike.

I feel if Sakurai wants an all-new FE character for Smash Bros. he is going to want to deviate from the traditional swordsman arche-type, and bring us something entirely fresh not just from what we have already seen in regards to FE characters in Smash Bros., but in regards to Smash Bros. as whole.
Sure, but then that's making a lot of assumptions about a lot of characters. Should we only expect one character between Ness and Lucas? Will Falco or Wolf make the cut? What about newcomers? Does Dixie really offer that much that Diddy can't do? Sure, she can float with her ponytail, but Diddy has a jetpack. Does Luigi offer much different from Mario?

At this point, I don't think this statement rules out characters. All I think is that Chrom stands out seeing what we've seen before. That could be entirely irrelevant, but I don't think it's ignorable.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Or it could be because Rare and Nintendo were going through legal troubles at the time and they had a lot of content removed from Melee and because Sakurai prioritized content from series with playable characters over series without.

And as for 2nd parties being ATs at best... that's because every 2nd party series of Nintendo's, bar Pokemon, wasn't on the level of the first-party series, not because Sakurai viewed them as "lesser".
In agreement with N3ON
Let's look at the Nintendo series added in Brawl.
R.O.B. (retro, saved western gaming and the NES)
Kid Icarus (the game was designed by Yoshio Sakamoto (Metroid) and produced by the legendary Gunpei Yokoi)
Pikmin: (created by Shigeru Miyamoto)

Sakurai appears to be sheepish on New Franchises in general. I think he waits to see how big they can grow and to see their staying power as a nintendo franchise.
I feel if Sakurai wants an all-new FE character for Smash Bros. he is going to want to deviate from the traditional swordsman arche-type, and bring us something entirely fresh not just from what we have already seen in regards to FE characters in Smash Bros., but in regards to Smash Bros. as whole.
I think an Awakening rep is most likely due to the stage. A stage doesn't make it guarantee, but it helps the Awakening characters chances.

The problem with that line of thinking is that Fire Emblem has had most sword fighters as their main protagonist. There are like maybe 3 protagonists that don't use swords as their default weapon. Ephraim, Micaiah, and Hector.

D

Deleted member

His strong similarities to Ike is the reason why a lot of people are not keen on him. Its also the reason why I think Lucario overall is safer than Ike (Chrom can realistically inherit most or all of Ike's moveset, whereas, no other Pokemon could take all of Lucario's moveset).

The only two ways I can see Chrom getting in are:
1. At the expense of Ike.
2. Having the tag-team gimmick.

Otherwise, Sakurai will just pass over him.
Placing my bets on the second option. I don't see Sakurai ever outright replacing an unique character; especially not as a semi-clone of said unique character (Mewtwo was cut due to time constraints, so he doesn't count). If Ike is cut, my bet is that it will be due to time constraints, but I don't think it will come to that. Plus #2 would allow for potentially an incredibly unique style of play and if what we have seen out of Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer is any indication, uniqueness is going to play a bigger role than previously. Adding Chrom at the expense of Ike would contradict Sakurai's increasing focus on uniqueness.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Rosalina? Two new Mario characters would be a bit too much for me to swallow, but I'd love to hear your reasoning for her.
The lack of R.O.B. kills it for me though.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Considering that they're guests, they wouldn't effect my decision to not buy the game if they were excluded. I consider them an incredibly awesome bonus, but not a necessity. However, if they were excluded and the SSB4 roster turns out to be crap, I probably wouldn't get the game.
Let me bring it up a notch.

Fire Emblem, EarthBound, and Kid Icarus are all completely out of Smash Bros. now. The roster is the rest of Brawl, the three current newcomers, Ridley, and Mii.

Will the loss of 5 characters make you completely feel void of having the will to buy the game if the rest of it is still fine?

I can tell you right now that as pissed off about losing Ness, Pit, and Marth as I would be, it wouldn't be enough for me to outright not buy SSB4.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Yeah...I don't know how to respond to that. It's not asking "how" or saying I'm wrong, so...I'm just failing to see how making a different moveset would be that difficult. Certainly not impossible.
You'll get used to it. Habanero is probably the most anti-Chrom person on this site.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
You would have to be lacking eyes to not see that Mewtwo is being more heavily promoted than Lucario right now. There was even a Mewtwo-centric movie released just a few months ago. And secondly, Jigglypuff is going nowhere.
Did I say he was more advertised? Doesn't change that Lucario is huge priority, STILL heavily advertised and a newer gen. And knock it the **** off with "Jiggz is main 12 shez immune!!!!" Horse ****! You HONESTLY think Sakurai would have Jiggz for Lucario right now!?!? And I don't care that you don't care whether the roster is fully gen 1. Sakurai most likely does.

I swear! "Jiggs is imune" supporters are so ignorant.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Could use some organization, I think Isaac will be chosen over Matthew.
What makes Matthew a better Golden Sun character than Isaac?
I can see well for Isa though.
If we get GS4, it's better for marketing purposes. Makes the next GS iteration stronger.

The more I think about it, the less I dislike Rosalina. Much like Daisy I think she is maligned for being another princess, while other fodder is looked at more favorably (Waluigi). She has turned into a Mario cast member with appearances in the Mario spin-offs. I doubt we will get two new Mario reps though. I also don't see Black Shadow due to F-Zero's dormancy as a franchise, unless he was a semi-clone. Which I think we will see less of if at all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think an Awakening rep is most likely due to the stage. A stage doesn't make it guarantee, but it helps the Awakening characters chances.

The problem with that line of thinking is that Fire Emblem has had most sword fighters as their main protagonist. There are like maybe 3 protagonists that don't use swords as their default weapon. Ephraim, Micaiah, and Hector.
I don't think a stage necessarily confirms a character. I remember back during pre-Brawl thinking Norfair was very good news for Ridley for example...

Secondly, about 1/3 of the lords in the series use a primary weapon that is not a sword. Also, about only 1/3 of the lords in the series are blue-haired swordsmen, with the remaining 1/3 being non-blue-haired swordsmen.

Sakurai is perfectly capable of thinking outside the box, so I do think that if we do get an entirely new FE characters its going to come with something very new to both FE and Smash Bros.

Assuming Ike returns, if Chrom gets in, he is going to be a tag-team character. I absolutely cannot see Chrom getting in by himself if Ike is not axed.

However, as I said before, Sakurai has thought outside the box before in regards to repping veteran series. Sakurai himself is a fan of the FE series. I think instead of simply going with the latest blue-haired bore, he could opt to bring something fresher like possibly the My Unit or even Anna as a way of showing more to the series than what has already been seen, yet being very true to the FE franchise.

FE has a lot of untapped potential in terms of bringing unique character styles into Smash Bros., and I think it would be a missed opportunity for Sakurai not to do this with Smash 4.

?????????????

Smash Master
By the way, while the server was down, I've become a HUGE fan of your SSB4 videos.
They're terrific, really.
Oh, thank you!

FE has a lot of untapped potential in terms of bringing unique character styles into Smash Bros., and I think it would be a missed opportunity for Sakurai not to do this with Smash 4.
Oh, totally, but I would say the same thing about Earthbound characters. The question comes to what is more important; representing characters from a fighting game standpoint (selecting characters that would offer the most unique movesets), or representing characters from a standpoint of the character's importance. They're both entirely viable and possible, but I think the more iconic character will always win.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
And Now..
The moment you've ALL been waiting for..
WHY YOU GUYS ARE SPEWING BULL**** WHEN YOU SAY RIDLEY ISN'T SCALED TO HIS GAMES!
The Scale thing, right?
Let's take a adventure into Onett

THAT is the drugstore in Onett.
About 2 - 1 1/2 Ness' could fit under that roof over the stairs
The Building has 3 windows. Take those notes.
Lets begin with a picture a lucas, roughly the size of Ness.

You can fit 2 1/2 Lucas' in there.

Now, take note of those windows in this second picture.

Holy ****, they screwed this one up badly. This cropped out
part of the top, and smashed everything together. So much for scale.
Look at where the windows are!

Being relevant isn't even a problem in smash bros though; Look at Pit!
His design isn't that similar to the original design

Megaman also has a classic design.
It would kinda be awkward that Samus is in her Other M while Ridley looks different,
But if the size changes, its not that awkward.
Also, theres this argument going around saying that Ridley is already shown in Smashbros,
so thats his fixed size in the series. The SSBM pictures is the proof against it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
So...he's personally biased against a particular character who's entirely plausible? How pleasant.
Not necessarily personally biased, just entirely different viewpoint. I for one am inclined to agree with Habanero - I simply don't see what new moves Chrom has to offer that simply couldn't be added as extensions to Marth or Ike's movesets. Moreso than that, I don't see Ike getting removed due to being an incredibly popular lord (with multiple game appearances to boot), so having three generic animu blue-haired swordsmen would be a dire misrepresentation of the franchise to outsiders; like if Pokemon were to get Pikachu, Pichu, Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu as it's playable reps. They're characters so visually and conceptually similar that having them all would bring redundancies.

If Sakurai has an idea for a cool new sword move or something, why can't he just give it to Marth or Ike?

Gune

Smash Lord
Did I say he was more advertised? Doesn't change that Lucario is huge priority, STILL heavily advertised and a newer gen. And knock it the **** off with "Jiggz is main 12 shez immune!!!!" Horse ****! You HONESTLY think Sakurai would have Jiggz for Lucario right now!?!? And I don't care that you don't care whether the roster is fully gen 1. Sakurai most likely does.

I swear! "Jiggs is imune" supporters are so ignorant.
whoa bro calm down for a sec hes actually rightmewtwo is more advertised currently that doesent mean lucario hasnt been doing his work around the franchise Which he certainly has. The jigglypuff thing is just kinda hard to see her go after haveing her here in the smash family since the start so people are pretty sure she's coming back there is no real reason for her to be excluded now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, totally, but I would say the same thing about Earthbound characters. .
I don't think its fair to compare FE to Mother. Mother is a dead series with only three installments, while FE has had 13 games and far, far more popular.

Secondly, we have already had three characters in Smash Bros. so far (Marth, Roy, Ike) that mostly sum up what a character like Chrom would be about. I think people would be far more excited (especially those unfamiliar with FE) to see My Unit or Anna than Chrom get in, even though the latter has more exposure. Chrom as a standalone character probably has a bigger aura of "been there done that" than any other possibly newcomer choice.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Hey guys! I have a question for you guys!

How exactly do you think SSB4 will be like if it was owned by SEGA?

Post your SEGA rosters.

The Mario series will obviously be replaced by Sonic.

Also all Third Parties will be the same except Sonic=Mario.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't think a stage necessarily confirms a character. I remember back during pre-Brawl thinking Norfair was very good news for Ridley for example...

Secondly, about 1/3 of the lords in the series use a primary weapon that is not a sword. Also, about only 1/3 of the lords in the series are blue-haired swordsmen, with the remaining 1/3 being non-blue-haired swordsmen.

Sakurai is perfectly capable of thinking outside the box, so I do think that if we do get an entirely new FE characters its going to come with something very new to both FE and Smash Bros.

Assuming Ike returns, if Chrom gets in, he is going to be a tag-team character. I absolutely cannot see Chrom getting in by himself if Ike is not axed.

However, as I said before, Sakurai has thought outside the box before in regards to repping veteran series. Sakurai himself is a fan of the FE series. I think instead of simply going with the latest blue-haired bore, he could opt to bring something fresher like possibly the My Unit or even Anna as a way of showing more to the series than what has already been seen, yet being very true to the FE franchise.

Never said it confirmed it. But definitely helps their chances. Norfair is very different than Arena Ferox, consider Samus appears or Norfair while neither Ike not Marth appear in Arena Ferox.

I didn't say anything about hair color. But I counted all the main characters that don't use swords. And each of them appeared with a sword user in the game (Hector and Eliwood, Ephraim and Eirika, and Ike and Micaiah). So I don't get where you're getting this primary weapon stuff and 1/3 don't use a staff as their primary weapon. Celica uses a sword. Robin uses a sword. My Unit has no default weapon but on the cover its a sword.

Are you saying Sakurai will create a new character for FE just for Smash? Because that goes against his previous methods for selecting FE characters. And I don't have the ability to predict characters that don't exist yet.

Right. Anna would be an Awakening Rep (at the very least partially), as would an Avatar (Robin) unit. I have no problems with those. Tiki is also a good choice. In fact, Robin is my number 2 behind Lucina. All of those would be Awakening reps.

FE has untapped potential, but it's not like three sword users would be misrepresents the series. Every game has had at least one main sword user.

?????????????

Smash Master
Not necessarily personally biased, just entirely different viewpoint. I for one am inclined to agree with Habanero - I simply don't see what new moves Chrom has to offer that simply couldn't be added as extensions to Marth or Ike's movesets. Moreso than that, I don't see Ike getting removed due to being an incredibly popular lord (with multiple game appearances to boot), so having three generic animu blue-haired swordsmen would be a dire misrepresentation of the franchise to outsiders; like if Pokemon were to get Pikachu, Pichu, Plusle, Minun and Pachirisu as it's playable reps. They're characters so visually and conceptually similar that having them all would bring redundancies.

If Sakurai has an idea for a cool new sword move or something, why can't he just give it to Marth or Ike?
Oh, hey, I get that, and that's fine. I just don't get a good first impression from someone when they're first interaction with me is laughing at my comment :ohwell:

In any case, no. Chrom does NOT have a lot of new stuff to offer as a character. If he were to be in SSB4, it would be entirely out of representation for Awakening, and I think that, by itself, would make enough sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom