• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
With Peach already confirmed before the release month of Super Mario 3D World, I'm not exactly sure who's next to be confirmed. I would think it's between Zelda and Diddy Kong. Though another Donkey Kong character would likely be revealed around the release date of Tropical Freeze. But maybe another newcomer will be revealed next.
We get either a Pokemon veteran (Mewtwo included) or Sonic next month.

November is likely Zelda (if not, then a Mario newcomer to coincide with 3D World), while December is Diddy Kong.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
A couple of things now that we're back, and we have some good members here right now.
I'm thinking Toad is all but basically out...meaning that I believe Bowser Jr. now has a great chance. Does anybody find it odd that Sakurai has already revealed all the Mario vets? This makes me think a new Mario character is a bit more likely now.

Also what does everyone think about Meowth? pizzadudemanguy's YouTube video explains the logic very nicely, and I am kinda hoping he somehow makes it in as a character.
I don't think Meowth will get in. At least not now. I mean really, it would be random for him to be a Smash character. I don't think Toad is getting in, regardless of his color. I think it would be strange for a Blue Toad to get in because he is present in SM3DW over the one we all know and love.

Anyway, here is my new roster finally.

Thoughts? (I know, I'm going to get chewed out for Wonder Red, sue me)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Meh, I kinda disagree about that. You could easily say the same thing about Paper Mario and Mario. However Jr. wouldn't be automatically doomed as a Luigi-fied Bowser, nor would Paper Mario be a Luigi-fied Mario. I think Bowser Jr. brings more to the table in regards to appeal, personality, and a chance to be a unique character more than Paper Mario would. We don't really need another version of Mario like Doc in Melee.
I think Bowser Jr. has done less to separate himself from Bowser than Paper Mario has from Mario.

I think most would feel that Paper Mario would be "fresher" than Bowser Jr., not to mention it would give the Paper Mario sub-series much more attention within Smash Bros.

I still think Toad would be the best choice all around though, and I think people are being too hasty in writing him off. I said weeks ago that Peach special Toad and playable Toad co-existing was a plausible scenario, and Sakurai had already done a similar thing with ROB in Brawl.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how Paper Mario could be a promotion character for 3D world. If anything he's the worst option to promote 3D world.

Guessing Wario will be revealed at the same time as Mario Kart, Diddy for Tropical Freeze, Yoshi for one of his two games, and...

...is Jr. even in 3D world? If so, he has a good chance.
If not I don't think we'll get a Mario newcomer to coincide with 3D world's release. Perhaps later, but not to promote a game he's not in. That'd be dumb. Olimar's at least in Pikmin 3 in some capacity.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We get either a Pokemon veteran (Mewtwo included) or Sonic next month.

November is likely Zelda (if not, then a Mario newcomer to coincide with 3D World), while December is Diddy Kong.

Riiiight. I dunno why I tend to forget Pokemon when it comes to Smash Bros. And I wasn't paying much attention to the release dates of either Zelda games. Do both Wind Waker HD and a Link Between Worlds release around that time?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I don't think Meowth will get in. At least not now. I mean really, it would be random for him to be a Smash character. I don't think Toad is getting in, regardless of his color. I think it would be strange for a Blue Toad to get in because he is present in SM3DW over the one we all know and love.

Needs a 5th Mario rep, only because I think the revealing of all 4 already hints that one is lined up down the road.
Don't like Palutena because I still have an issue w/ Kid Icarus getting 2 reps over F-Zero.
Roy over Chrom, but that's personal preference.
Wonder Red is fine by me.
Otherwise very solid roster. Almost the exact same as mine, so 9.5/10

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how Paper Mario could be a promotion character for 3D world. If anything he's the worst option to promote 3D world.
I am talking about in general. I think we will know in November (or December) whether we will be getting a newcomer to coincide with 3D World (by far the best of which would be Toad, considering how much he is being promoted for that game).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I am talking about in general. I think we will know in November (or December) whether we will be getting a newcomer to coincide with 3D World (by far the best of which would be Toad, considering how much he is being promoted for that game).
Ah sorry Chrono, my comment actually wasn't aimed at you, just more a general who we'd be getting Mario-verse character veteran wise and newcomer wise in the next few months.

I guess Sakurai's comment about changes could always be something as simple as a colour swap. But that seems like a grasping at straws comment so I'll wait til December and either be pleasently surprised or unsurprised but disappointed.

I wish I liked more likely characters. Toad probably had the best shot off my want list. Aside from maybe a returning Roy, I mean.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I think Bowser Jr. has done less to separate himself from Bowser than Paper Mario has from Mario.

I think most would feel that Paper Mario would be "fresher" than Bowser Jr., not to mention it would give the Paper Mario sub-series much more attention within Smash Bros.

I still think Toad would be the best choice all around though, and I think people are being too hasty in writing him off. I said weeks ago that Peach special Toad and playable Toad co-existing was a plausible scenario, and Sakurai had already done a similar thing with ROB in Brawl.
I still think Bowser Jr. is the best Mario newcomer. I won't disagree that he, Toad and Paper Mario are the best 3 choices.

You also can't really speak for "most people" feeling Paper Mario would be more fresh. I mean honestly it's all opinion on who would be a breath of fresh air. It also depends on how unique Sakurai would make whomever he chose.

I don't know how a character can do something to separate themselves, especially because I'm not seeing this whole Jr. will be a Bowser semi, but Paper Mario will not be a semi of Mario. They're both in the same boat, they can go either way really.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I actually think its a realistic possibility that we end up with no Ridley, no Mario newcomer, and no DK newcomer. If so, I wonder how the Smash Bros. fanbase would take it.

I mean, it could end up that the only popularly requested newcomers that end up getting in are Mega Man and Little Mac (and possibly Palutena). Mewtwo is also very likely to return, though he might not be a true newcomer.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm highly doubtful of Toad (and was for a while now), and I think that, if he's not in this game, chances are low that he'll get into a Sakurai-made Smash in the future. You can't really say, "Oh, well, he'll gain more popularity from future games and then be likely for Smash 6/7/8," because he's never not been prominent and well-known. To be honest, it's a stretch to say new games affect character popularity in all but the longest of runs, since they tend to just validate popularity that already existed (with maybe a few exceptions, like the revamped Palutena); that, and we know that characters don't need to be in new games to keep fans.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Highly doubt Wonder Red will be in the roster. It could use some organizing like ordering the characters based on release date, and organize the second parties to right.
The rest of the roster is fine.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actually think its a realistic possibility that we end up with no Ridley, no Mario newcomer, and no DK newcomer. If so, I wonder how the Smash Bros. fanbase would take it.
I honestly think if none of the above happens Smashboards is going to try and fund a game that contains all the ones they wanted on Kickstarter or something.

I'm highly doubtful of Toad (and was for a while now), and I think that, if he's not in this game, chances are low that he'll get into a Sakurai-made Smash in the future. You can't really say, "Oh, well, he'll gain more popularity from future games and then be likely for Smash 6/7/8," because he's never not been prominent and well-known. To be honest, it's a stretch to say new games affect character popularity in all but the longest of runs, since they tend to just validate popularity that already existed (with maybe a few exceptions, like the revamped Palutena); that, and we know that characters don't need to be in new games to keep fans.
Annoyingly, I agree. Honestly at this point there are so few characters that are as easily recognised as Toad is, not having him in seems like a weird choice. He's popular all over the world, but especially in Japan.

Not getting in this time would mean Sakurai has some serious issues with including Toad. Also possibly Ridley if he's not included this time as well.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We're already three months in and we already have gotten confirmation of all four Mario characters in Brawl.

I think this is a good sign for a new Mario character. Never have we had all four Mario characters unveiled before the leak, let alone THIS early. Could very well mean that there's a fifth Mario character that's an unlockable (my guess being Bowser Jr. if we get a Mario newcomer).
I think Sakurai is just doing all the popular franchise characters first.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
I don't see any way Toad could possibly be in the game after the Peach reveal. Blue Toad is onl;y just a recolor of the original Toad character and wuldn't be enough to differentiate from the original attack.

Chances are is that if sakurai figured he'd put Toad in as an attack he didn't see Toad as a very important Mario character and I can agree because both Bowser Jr. and Paper mario have had more MAJOR roles than toad has.
Also even though Sakurai commented that the Moves aren't final(meaning he could change moves) I highly doubt that they have the time to create a completely new character this late in the game. Especially since they lickely had the roster decided long ago.

Right now Bowser jr. has the best chance as the next Mario rep over Paper Mario because there havn't been any recent Paper Mario games.

Gune

Smash Lord
I don't see any way Toad could possibly be in the game after the Peach reveal. Blue Toad is onl;y just a recolor of the original Toad character and wuldn't be enough to differentiate from the original attack.

Chances are is that if sakurai figured he'd put Toad in as an attack he didn't see Toad as a very important Mario character and I can agree because both Bowser Jr. and Paper mario have had more MAJOR roles than toad has.
Also even though Sakurai commented that the Moves aren't final(meaning he could change moves) I highly doubt that they have the time to create a completely new character this late in the game. Especially since they lickely had the roster decided long ago.

Right now Bowser jr. has the best chance as the next Mario rep over Paper Mario because there havn't been any recent Paper Mario games.
What about that paper Mario game that came out a couple months ago I think it was sticker star or something like that.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I honestly think if none of the above happens Smashboards is going to try and fund a game that contains all the ones they wanted on Kickstarter or something.

It will be hilarious to see all the buttkissing Sakurai will still receive in spite of it. We are already having people say Ridley and Toad were not worthy enough to be playable.

Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics those clowns employ if both K. Rool and Dixie Kong don't make it.

that was almost two years ago
It was not even a year ago.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Yeah honestly Bowser Jr. has appeared in almost all of the major Mario games, as a primary antagonist or the co-villain with Bowser, since his inception in Sunshine. Bowser Jr. has become a very prominent character in the series and makes the most sense to me. Paper Mario would be a unique idea, and is a popular choice, but honestly I feel like people just like the idea of Paper Mario as a character instead of considering the fact that Bowser Jr. is more important to the Mario series as a whole as opposed to Paper Mario.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
it came out in december 2012 if i'm not mistaken?
It's still 2013 einstein.

Honestly at this point I only expect Bowser Jr. or, at an off chance, Waluigi to be making it in at this point.
I wouldn't mind a Paper Mario stage though...

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Hey guys! Great to be back!

On the subject of PM or BJ, I personally see Jr. over PM at this point.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

It's still 2013 einstein.

Honestly at this point I only expect Bowser Jr. or, at an off chance, Waluigi to be making it in at this point.
I wouldn't mind a Paper Mario stage though...
The fact that Dr. Mario appeared in Melee and was planned in Brawl makes me think Paper Mario is the best way to go. We don't need another main stream representative and Waluigi just doesn't fit in for so many reasons. His status should be Assist Trophy.

Yeah honestly Bowser Jr. has appeared in almost all of the major Mario games, as a primary antagonist or the co-villain with Bowser, since his inception in Sunshine. Bowser Jr. has become a very prominent character in the series and makes the most sense to me. Paper Mario would be a unique idea, and is a popular choice, but honestly I feel like people just like the idea of Paper Mario as a character instead of considering the fact that Bowser Jr. is more important to the Mario series as a whole as opposed to Paper Mario.
Does it matter if he's more important? It didn't matter for Toad and we have 4 main stream characters. Why not one from a different Mario series? Like I say, Dr. Mario was in Melee so I think this makes Paper Mario the most likely.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I honestly wanna see no Mario newcomer, all four Mario characters generalize the franchise currently just fine.
This guy knows what's up; for me it was Toad or nothing. Bowser Jr. seems like the most likely second choice, although I have a personal distaste for the character and I know I'm not alone in saying that. Paper Mario seems cool but unlikely, and Waluigi seems both unlikely and has a large quantity of players who want to see him curb stomped (which could help him, I guess - I wouldn't mind him playable since I'd just use his douche face as an eternal punching bag).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The fact that Dr. Mario appeared in Melee and was planned in Brawl makes me think Paper Mario is the best way to go.
Dr. Mario is a special case though. They needed to buff the roster and Sakurai wanted Fever in the game. Neither of those aspects really help Paper Mario in the long run. Besides, wouldn't it be easier to create Bowser Jr. as a semi-clone of Bowser. You wouldn't have to create a whole new character model to do that.
We don't need another main stream representative and Waluigi just doesn't fit in for so many reasons. His status should be Assist Trophy.
That's your opinion, I think he fits in for many reasons.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Okay, seriously: What's with all the Paper Mario doubt? :drmario:
Sakurai said himself that he put Dr. Mario in because he wanted a cheap and easy clone, and that he liked the music from Dr. Mario's game (seriously, these were his primary reasons - look it up). It had nothing to do with him wanting to represent Mario spin-offs in any meaningful way or that he felt he had exhausted all of the characters from the main series (although apart from Bowser Jr., he arguably has).

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

Great to be back, everybody! I made a Peach moveset thread on her page if anyone wants to check that out and discuss her possible changes.

Now let me just give my two cents on everything that we've missed:
  • Wuhu Island still looks beautiful.
  • That Kirby hammer picture. Pretty sure it's Battlefield at night.
  • PEACHY. SHE'S BACK. She looks absolutely amazing in HD. I'm using her as my primary main like in Melee again, no questions asked. I just hope she still has most of her moves remain the same.
So! What's going on?! It just feels so good to be back!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai said himself that he put Dr. Mario in because he wanted a cheap and easy clone, and that he liked the music from Dr. Mario's game (seriously, these were his primary reasons - look it up). It had nothing to do with him wanting to represent Mario spin-offs in any meaningful way or that he felt he had exhausted all of the characters from the main series (although apart from Bowser Jr., he arguably has).
These are true statements, but every character that has gotten in has deserved it. Pichu was an easy clone, but he was gen 2 as well as maybe the most popular representative from Gold & Silver. He also represented the pre-evolved baby Pokemon. Plus Dr. Mario was planned to return.

This whole Toad being deconfirmed shows that Bowser Jr's spot could easily be taken by Paper Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom