• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have some questions regarding Nintendo's info bomb yesterday.

2DS
- To anyone that has a 3DS how does it look when you turn off the 3D?
Like a system free from gimmicks. (Fine)

- How do your hands feel with the buttons; mine feel fine with my DSi?
Unless you're playing Uprising, you should be fine. And even then you'll get used to it. Apparently the XL is much more comfortable, but I don't have one, so I couldn't tell you.

But other than there being both a d-pad and a circle pad, it's very similar layout-wise to a DSi.

- Is 3D i'll rarely use worth $40?
Not really. Doesn't even add much to most of the games imo.

Why I wouldn't use 3D is because I have daily migraines and whenever I see anything in 3D (movies/tv) my head gets a lot worse.
Hmm, well this does slightly different technology than other 3D IIRC, but I wouldn't risk it. Even some people who don't normally get migraines have complained about the 3D hurting their eyes/heads.

Wind Waker HD Bundle
- Do you think Smash Bros. will get a bundle as well?
In my opinion it depends what else will come out during that period, what existing bundles will already be on the market, how much Nintendo is going to promote the games, and how the 3DS/Wii U are currently faring. It's probable we get a Smash bundle eventually, even if not at their launch.

- What do you think will be included? (pro controller, free Smash Bros. (N64) digital copy, ect.)
Probably just a pro controller (and the game). If we're lucky either a free pre-installed copy of Smash 64 or Melee, like you said.

- If the bundle is made do you think it will come with a hard copy or a digital copy of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U?
Digital. It's cheaper.

I personally don't like digital copies, I like hard copies so I would prefer if Super Smash Bros. for Wii U came in the bundle with a hard copy game.
Me too. Ofc I'm not going to get a Smash bundle anyway, because even if I don't have a Wii U yet, I'll crack and pick one up long before Smash releases. That Wind Waker bundle is already looking tempting, and I wasn't even going to get WW. :laugh:

So ideally I would be getting the Ganondorf Figurine edition and keep it in my room until I save up enough to get a Smash Bros. Bundle next year.
So you're getting two bundles?
....why?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Out of Ridley and Toad, only one of those characters has been shown in a screenshot, in the game, featuring a refurbished model that represents a clear choice to use him in that role. I can only hope that, if Ridley ends up a hazard, people take Oasis' advice and don't go around claiming Ridley's regular form can be playable instead, because that's basically what this is right now with Blue Toad (and what it was with the red-coated, red-capped Toad after Peach was revealed pre-Brawl).

I think, what with how popular Ridley is, his potential hazard won't be shown in just a casual screenshot, but in the middle of some new trailer, kind of like a more high-profile Yellow Devil. Anything else would just seem anti-climatic.

Also, welcome back guys!

Wait.... What if the stage description wasn't actually the description of the stage. What if it's actually the stage that the developers will use for the next trailer to reveal Ridley as a playable character. If they're gonna reveal him as a stage hazard then... What the hell.

Still nervous. As for Toad, Sakurai's gone cryptic again... Or not. I don't know. Just try not to over analyze and don't get your hopes up.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think blatantly showing Toad is very cryptic. To the people hinging on the fact that Sakurai said Peach's moveset wasn't final, that's in regard to minor things and small changes, at this point he's not going to pull a Sonic, reconsider Toad and add him if he hasn't already (or any character). And if he was somehow still debating Toad he wouldn't have shown him as part of Peach's moveset.

I suppose he could still go with Blue Toad because of his recent and future appearances, like 3D World, but I very much doubt he would choose that Toad over the "main" one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, I suspect if Peach had anything but the normal Toad as her new B (like Blue Toad or even Toadsworth) Sakurai wouldn't have shown that attack yet or for the foreseeable future.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am going to disagree that showing the "classic" Toad de-confirms Toad. I said weeks ago in the Toad thread that its a possibility that Sakurai could both retain Peach's traditional special and bring in the Blue Toad as the playable Toad, possibly to tie in to promote with Super Mario 3D World.

Still on edge about Ridley. Seeing as how Sakurai has not gone outright and shown what Ridley really is in Smash 4, I think if Ridley is really a stage hazard, I think Sakurai very much probably does not know that he is a character that is highly requested.

I don't think blatantly showing Toad is very cryptic. To the people hinging on the fact that Sakurai said Peach's moveset wasn't final, that's in regard to minor things and small changes, at this point he's not going to pull a Sonic, reconsider Toad and add him if he hasn't already (or any character). And if he was somehow still debating Toad he wouldn't have shown him as part of Peach's moveset.

I suppose he could still go with Blue Toad because of his recent and future appearances, like 3D World, but I very much doubt he would choose that Toad over the "main" one.
Pretty much why I put the "Or not". My inner fanboy nerves just tells me to clutch on a ray of hope. Haha.

Villager's in anyway so yeah, I'm okay

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm hoping they'll have a full-fledged newcomer trailer in the future with characters that correlate to stages they've already shown off, like...

Boxing Arena-Little Mac
Arena Ferox-Chrom
Pyrosphere-Ridley

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Nice. Smashboards AND my account are back.

My thoughts on things:

Toad isn't getting in.

I want new character damn it!

After buying Wonderful 101, I must admit that Wonder Red is giving my heavy vibes of newcomer for Smash. I have made a new roster as well, and I will post it soon.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Wonder Red were to get in Smash (which there never was a good chance of anyway) we'd have known about it by now. No way they'd pass up that marketing opportunity, especially for a game like W101.

AT at most is my guess.

I am going to disagree that showing the "classic" Toad de-confirms Toad. I said weeks ago in the Toad thread that its a possibility that Sakurai could both retain Peach's traditional special and bring in the Blue Toad as the playable Toad, possibly to tie in to promote with Super Mario 3D World.
I didn't say I thought he was totally deconfirmed, I just think his chances are pretty dismal at this point, even with Blue Toad.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here's my 45 character roster, I'm probably sticking with 45 from now on since it's more realistic.

Edit: Yeah, Wonder Red is quite best as an AT, it's too early to tell whether Wonder Red is a Nintendo allstar.

If Wonder Red were to get in Smash (which there never was a good chance of anyway) we'd have known about it by now. No way they'd pass up that marketing opportunity, especially for a game like W101.
We're just saying that Wonder Red really gives those Smash bros vibes with all the flashy insane moves and his vibrant colors

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We're just saying that Wonder Red really gives those Smash bros vibes with all the flashy insane moves and his vibrant colors
Ah, I see.

Well shame he'll probably never get in Smash. Unless Nintendo sees creating a W102 as something financially viable, which I doubt. And even then Wonder Red would still have some stiff competition.

Maybe a sequel can give Wonder Red playable status in Smash 5.
Smash 5...... Let's not talk about Smash 5 :p
Ah, I see.

Well shame he'll probably never get in Smash. Unless Nintendo sees creating a W102 as something financially viable, which I doubt. And even then Wonder Red would still have some stiff competition.

AKA the Smash 4 rejects featuring (No one has been confirmed to be deconfirmed so no one's here yet).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Maybe a sequel can give Wonder Red playable status in Smash 5.
Judging by how badly Wonderful 101 bombed, I highly doubt there will ever be a sequel, let alone the character becoming playable in Smash 5 (let alone Smash 4).

I still think Toad is a realistic contender for a Mario newcomer though despite the Peach special (which I said weeks ago, was a possible scenario to still happen even with a playable Toad).

Judging by how badly Wonderful 101 bombed, I highly doubt there will ever be a sequel, let alone the character becoming playable in Smash 5 (let alone Smash 4).
79% doesn't sound that bombed
I still think Toad is a realistic contender for a Mario newcomer though despite the Peach special (which I said weeks ago, was a possible scenario to still happen even with a playable Toad).
:scared:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well maybe Sakurai can pick out a "Ness" where he picks a character from an "unpopular but very good" game like Earthbound.
Earthbound wasn't unpopular in Japan (for whom the Smash 64 roster was created for anyway). Not a parallel to W101, which bombed everywhere (I just assumed it bombed in NA, I dunno).

79% doesn't sound that bombed
Is that its review average? A game can still do well critically but bomb commercially. Like S&P2. And especially W101, where it only sold like 5k in Japan.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Regardless of how the game sold, I think it's WONDERFUL. :awesome:

Anyway, I don't think any character that's hasn't been disconfirmed can be counted out yet, Wonder Red included. Sure, he wasn't revealed along with his game, but then again, NO newcomers have been revealed besides E3 thus far. Not to mention, nobody saw Peach coming, so it can't be as clear as what we are expecting. It's more likely that they will be revealed in bunches via Nintendo Directs. My views on quite a few things have changed since Smashboards has been down as well.

Quite honestly, while I support Ridley and K.Rool, i'm not really expecting them. Same thing with Isaac. When I looked back at how we rate characters, it made me realize that we place WAAAAAAAY too much weight into popularity. Considering this character pool is much different from Brawls, when it was clear who was going to be added for the most part, I can't really agree with a handful of choices. Popularity for those characters made a lot of sense. While Ridley, K.Rool, Little Mac, etc... may have the votes, there are other criteria that they may or may not excel in.

The stupid roster isn't saving to my computer. Once I get it saved, I will post it.

D

Deleted member

We're already three months in and we already have gotten confirmation of all four Mario characters in Brawl.

I think this is a good sign for a new Mario character. Never have we had all four Mario characters unveiled before the leak, let alone THIS early. Could very well mean that there's a fifth Mario character that's an unlockable (my guess being Bowser Jr. if we get a Mario newcomer).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
People were expecting Peach to be confirmed early on. Its just that most people were expecting it to happen in November or December (to coincide with the release of Super Mario 3D World). So it just happened 2-3 months earlier than expected.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
A couple of things now that we're back, and we have some good members here right now.
I'm thinking Toad is bascially deconfirmed...meaning that I believe Bowser Jr. now has a great chance. Does anybody find it odd that Sakurai has already revealed all the Mario vets? This makes me think a new Mario character is a bit more likely now.

Also what does everyone think about Meowth? pizzadudemanguy's YouTube video explains the logic very nicely, and I am kinda hoping he somehow makes it in as a character.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Paper Mario is more likely to happen than Bowser Jr. assuming Toad is out (which I don't think he is). Bowser Jr. feels like a newcomer in a similar vein as Toon Link and Wolf, a luigi-fied character that is among the last characters added to the game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
With Peach already confirmed before the release month of Super Mario 3D World, I'm not exactly sure who's next to be confirmed. I would think it's between Zelda and Diddy Kong. Though another Donkey Kong character would likely be revealed around the release date of Tropical Freeze. But maybe another newcomer will be revealed next.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well the only Mario character who has been released so far that isn't really justifiable is Bowser. But I guess they showed him off to say that changes with characters are happening / they be more like their actual game counterparts?
So if we go by that...
Mario - Launch for obvious reasons
Bowser - Launch to reveal character changes were happening
Luigi - Promotion for M&L:DT
Peach - Released in celebration of Super Mario Brothers 28th Birthday

So a new Mario is likely, everybody jump on the Junior / Paper Mario bandwagon.

But this also kinda opens up what kind of promotion characters we can see in the coming months as well.
October has to be a Pokémon rep.
November probably could be a Zelda rep.
December's rep might be Diddy Kong.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I think Paper Mario is more likely to happen than Bowser Jr. assuming Toad is out (which I don't think he is). Bowser Jr. feels like a newcomer in a similar vein as Toon Link and Wolf, a luigi-fied character that is among the last characters added to the game.
Meh, I kinda disagree about that. You could easily say the same thing about Paper Mario and Mario. However Jr. wouldn't be automatically doomed as a Luigi-fied Bowser, nor would Paper Mario be a Luigi-fied Mario. I think Bowser Jr. brings more to the table in regards to appeal, personality, and a chance to be a unique character more than Paper Mario would. We don't really need another version of Mario like Doc in Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom