• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
When it comes to adding a new Wario character, I'm never sure how to prioritize one character over another. If I had my pick, I would choose Jimmy T.

Wii Fit Trainer fights using yoga? Jimmy T. fights using disco!

Espio264

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's not a villain. It's just angry looking and better than everyone else, but that doesn't make it evil. Event Match 51 was just a lack of imagination on Sakurai's part. A real Pokemon villain should come either in the form of Team Rocket or Team Whatthahellever they're doing now. Don't stereotype Mewtwo as "a villain character." Your mom's a villain.

Groose

Smash Champion
i agree. i think Warioware can justify having another rep. personally i lean towards Mona myself.
No doubt Mona could have a very... strange moveset, just like her microgames. Jimmy T. could have had an interesting moveset, but he kind of overlaps with Wii Fit Trainer of all people.

I'm sold on a 9-Volt appearence, though. He could reference a bunch of classic games and use his skateboard and stuff... but, then again, Villager is using classic character's moves.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
When it comes to adding a new Wario character, I'm never sure how to prioritize one character over another. If I had my pick, I would choose Jimmy T.

I would actually love Jimmy T. using dancing as his attacks. Maybe he can use his afro to attack.
Mewtwo's not a villain. It's just angry looking and better than everyone else, but that doesn't make it evil. Event Match 51 was just a lack of imagination on Sakurai's part. A real Pokemon villain should come either in the form of Team Rocket or Team Whatthahellever they're doing now. Don't stereotype Mewtwo as "a villain character." Your mom's a villain.
Well, the reason he was considered a villain in Melee and in general was because of the Pokemon movie. He was powerful, cruel, and planned world domination. So, I think Sakurai considers Mewtwo a villain (after all, he takes the movies into consideration, and before Melee, the first Pokemon movie came out).

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052

I thought about him using sport attacks and such because that's his game genre, but I think we can leave weird body movements and sport-based attacks to the Wii Fit Trainer.

I'm sold on a 9-Volt appearence, though. He could reference a bunch of classic games and use his skateboard and stuff... but, then again, Villager is using classic character's moves.
That was what I was thinking, but the Villager's boxing gloves and Balloon Fighter helmet kind of put a hole in that plan.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we get a WarioWare character (which itself seems unlikely), I guess it depends on if Sakurai wants to go the popularity route (which would likely be Ashley) or the "importance" route (importance used very loosely... it is WarioWare) which would probably either be Mona or Jimmy. My guess is he'll go for the latter choice, but of those two it's kind of up in the air imo. I'd prefer seeing Jimmy, I think a moveset based off dancing (especially Disco dancing) would be super original and probably hilarious.

That said, I doubt we see any new WarioWare character. Though really, as far as originality goes, all three are decent picks.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I think I'd prefer Mona if we didn't see 9-Volt, her scooter can act like the Wario motorcycle, she can use her guitar, roller blades, baton, and hell, why not pizza! Not to forget her animals.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Well, the reason he was considered a villain in Melee and in general was because of the Pokemon movie. He was powerful, cruel, and planned world domination. So, I think Sakurai considers Mewtwo a villain (after all, he takes the movies into consideration, and before Melee, the first Pokemon movie came out).
You're right, but it's still an outdated generalization. And I honestly don't wanna bring up the " Is the anime relevant to which Pokemon are chosen?" argument, but I think that if it is, it should only influence which ones are chosen, not their personalities. If that were the case, then if we got Meowth, would he have the Northern accent? It's the same as why everyone assumes that Jigglypuff is a girl. (The Smash costumes aside,) Jigglypuff can be either gender, like Pikachu, but everyone seems to think they know better than everyone else. We have a Pikachu, not necessarily Ash's Pikachu. We have a Jigglypuff, not the overly girly one from the anime. And yes there is only one Mewtwo, but the way it's portrayed in the games, in the manga, in the anime and in Smash are all different, so we shouldn't blindly categorize it as EVIL. Mewtwo's just classier than everybody else.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would pick Mona, Jimmy T, or 9-Volt as a new Wario rep.
I don't really think it's necessary, but all of them would have unique, fun movesets.

Edit: I'm posting my moveset soon, so before I do:
1. Who do you DEFINITELY not want to be cut?
2. Ghirahim or Tingle?

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I would pick Mona, Jimmy T, or 9-Volt as a new Wario rep.
I don't really think it's necessary, but all of them would have unique, fun movesets.

Edit: I'm posting my moveset soon, so before I do:
1. Who do you DEFINITELY not want to be cut?
2. Ghirahim or Tingle?
1. In who has a chance of being cut? ROB.
2. Tingle

Louie G.

Smash Hero
1. I honestly don't want Ice Climbers or Lucas to be cut.
2. I prefer Ghirahim.
Lucas I'm on the fence about, but I wasn't planning on cutting Ice Climbers.
I had Ghirahim down, but I think Tingle is more important, so I'm not too sure.

Edit: To Lasifer, ROB is a character that I think has a lot of untouched potential, so I kept him in. I hope he stays, but with a few changes.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Lucas I'm on the fence about, but I wasn't planning on cutting Ice Climbers.
I had Ghirahim down, but I think Tingle is more important, so I'm not too sure.

Edit: To Lasifer, ROB is a character that I think has a lot of untouched potential, so I kept him in. I hope he stays, but with a few changes.
If you're on the fence about Lucas, I'd say keep him. Mother is a series that I think can warrant two reps most definitely. I plan on making a new moveset for Lucas sometime soon to make him a lot more different from Ness.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If you're on the fence about Lucas, I'd say keep him. Mother is a series that I think can warrant two reps most definitely. I plan on making a new moveset for Lucas sometime soon to make him a lot more different from Ness.
I'm having a tough time getting rid of a character in favor of Lucas though...
I want to keep 45 like I have, but...

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Yes, my mom is a wonderful villain.

Also I think they just base Mewtwo off of the first movie at least and whatever other **** and spin-offs so lol we're not getting a real pokemon Villain just for the sake of having one.

My bets are on Mona but I'd like Jimmy T. more. I think we should get a second Wario rep at least. It's like Donkey Kong in one respect - It has two series; WarioWare and WarioLand. Honestly, I'd actually go as far to say you could put in both Jimmy T. and Captain Syrup.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, here is my new roster. It's still not completely final, so tell me what should be changed/added.

Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser

DK:
DK
Diddy
K. Rool
Dixie

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

Paper Mario:
Paper Mario

Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf
Ghirahim

Metroid:
Samus/ZSS
Ridley

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco
Wolf

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Palutena

Mother:
Ness
Lucas

F-Zero:
Captain Falcon

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Chrom

Pikmin:
Olimar

Animal Crossing:
Villager

Punch Out:
Little Mac

Wii:
Wii Fit Trainer
Mii (is kind of a Random slot, choose any Mii in your library)

Xenoblade:
Shulk

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. G+W
ROB
Takamaru

3rd Party:
Sonic
Mega Man
Pac-Man

How is it? I want a solid 45 characters (not including Mii and Random slot) so tell me which character should be deleted as well as any changes that should be made.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
How is it? I want a solid 45 characters (not including Mii and Random slot) so tell me which character should be deleted as well as any changes that should be made.
Nothing strikes as "odd" about the roster outside of Ghirahim. What justification do you have for him?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@Louie G
Good roster! I'd only advocate for cutting Ghirahim. I'd also consider keeping Lucario, and adding another FE character (Ike being the best choice).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would cut either Ghirahim or Paper Mario, personally.
Nothing strikes as "odd" about the roster outside of Ghirahim. What justification do you have for him?
Paper Mario is my most wanted character for Smash 4, so he's not going anywhere, even if he doesn't make it.
Ghirahim was one of the characters who I was a bit iffy on, so he can be cut, but I want Zelda to have 4 reps like Mario and Pokemon, so he's more of a placeholder for a Toon Link replacement.

Edit: @N3ON, I kind of want the 4 biggest franchises of Nintendo's (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, DK) to all have the same amount of reps. 4 seems like a good number, so if I were to put Lucario back in, it would be instead of another Pokemon character, which I don't want to do. Plus, I was thinking of Ike returning and Fire Emblem moving up to 3 reps, but I just don't want my roster number going up too much. Unless I move it up to 50, which is a possibility, only I have a feeling that 45 is the number for the new Smash.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Ghirahim was one of the characters who I was a bit iffy on, so he can be cut, but I want Zelda to have 4 reps like Mario and Pokemon, so he's more of a placeholder for a Toon Link replacement.
Of coarse I agree with Zelda having 4 reps, especially when Mario has 5 (Paper Mario is a Mario character. He doesn't represent his own spin-off series like Yoshi, DK, and Wario). I question the need to replace Toon Link, but I could also recommend Impa, Vaati, or Tingle.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You're right, but it's still an outdated generalization. And I honestly don't wanna bring up the " Is the anime relevant to which Pokemon are chosen?" argument, but I think that if it is, it should only influence which ones are chosen, not their personalities. If that were the case, then if we got Meowth, would he have the Northern accent? It's the same as why everyone assumes that Jigglypuff is a girl. (The Smash costumes aside,) Jigglypuff can be either gender, like Pikachu, but everyone seems to think they know better than everyone else. We have a Pikachu, not necessarily Ash's Pikachu. We have a Jigglypuff, not the overly girly one from the anime. And yes there is only one Mewtwo, but the way it's portrayed in the games, in the manga, in the anime and in Smash are all different, so we shouldn't blindly categorize it as EVIL. Mewtwo's just classier than everybody else.
Well, maybe it isn't the anime, then. In the games themselves, almost all of Mewtwo's Pokedex entries talk of him being cruel, vicious, devoid of compassion, etc. They also talked of how powerful and evil it was in the game itself, through the Pokemon Mansion journal: "Mewtwo is far too powerful. We have failed to curb its vicious tendencies..."

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, Louie if you want to replace Toon Link, I'd suggest Tingle or Impa. I don't see Vaati happening, really

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Of coarse I agree with Zelda having 4 reps, especially when Mario has 5 (Paper Mario is a Mario character. He doesn't represent his own spin-off series like Yoshi, DK, and Wario). I question the need to replace Toon Link, but I could also recommend Impa, Vaati, or Tingle.
Paper Mario probably would/should represent his own series in Smash, he IS a spin-off character.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Paper Mario is my most wanted character for Smash 4, so he's not going anywhere, even if he doesn't make it.
personally i dont believe in the whole "Mario, Pokemon and Zelda should have the same slots" schtick. Brawl is the only time in which that was an actual thing. the truth of the matter is that we already have the essential Zelda characters in already and if we didnt see any more of them, but more Mario or Pokemon characters i wouldnt be surprised in the slightest.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Thanks, Paper Mario was a bit of cheating on my part. I wanted to keep the main 4 even, so I put Paper Mario as a separate franchise. :)
I want Tingle honestly, and if I were to put another Zelda character instead of Ghirahim, it would be Tingle or Toon Link again.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Edit: @N3ON, I kind of want the 4 biggest franchises of Nintendo's (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, DK) to all have the same amount of reps. 4 seems like a good number, so if I were to put Lucario back in, it would be instead of another Pokemon character, which I don't want to do. Plus, I was thinking of Ike returning and Fire Emblem moving up to 3 reps, but I just don't want my roster number going up too much. Unless I move it up to 50, which is a possibility, only I have a feeling that 45 is the number for the new Smash.
Alright, but keep in mind that Brawl was the only game they were actually equal in, and the big three were all planned to have at least one more rep each. And as Sakurai views it, the big series aren't equal anyway, Pokemon clearly has the most reps. As for FE, there were also three characters planned for Brawl, so now that the series is only bigger and more popular, having three just seems a whole lot more likely than just having two.

But it's your roster, and you seem to like stressing equality and having a unifying number for some series, so ultimately is obviously comes down to your opinion. There are just some things that aren't as likely as others (namely Ghirahim - Sakurai won't add him just to keep Zelda equal with the other series, plus a second Link is more likely).

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Paper Mario probably would/should represent his own series in Smash, he IS a spin-off character.
Thanks, Paper Mario was a bit of cheating on my part. I wanted to keep the main 4 even, so I put Paper Mario as a separate franchise. :)
I want Tingle honestly, and if I were to put another Zelda character instead of Ghirahim, it would be Tingle or Toon Link again.
If Paper Mario, who comes from the Mario RPGs, is a spin-off character, Waluigi would be one as well, as he's exclusive to the sports games, which are just as much spin-offs as the RPGs. That`s just my viewpoint though, so I can`t say for certain Sakurai`s is the same.

Anyhow, I definitely like the ideas of both Tingle and Toon Link. My personal choice would be Toon Link.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, but keep in mind that Brawl was the only game they were actually equal in, and the big three were all planned to have at least one more rep each. And as Sakurai views it, the big series aren't equal anyway, Pokemon clearly has the most reps. As for FE, there were also three characters planned for Brawl, so now that the series is only bigger and more popular, having three just seems a whole lot more likely than just having two.

But it's your roster, and you seem to like stressing equality and having a unifying number for some series, so ultimately is obviously comes down to your opinion. There are just some things that aren't as likely as others (namely Ghirahim - Sakurai won't add him just to keep Zelda equal with the other series, plus a second Link is more likely).
If Paper Mario, who comes from the Mario RPGs, is a spin-off character, Waluigi would be one as well, as he's exclusive to the sports games, which are just as much spin-offs as the RPGs. That`s just my viewpoint though, so I can`t say for certain Sakurai`s is the same.

Anyhow, I definitely like the ideas of both Tingle and Toon Link. My personal choice would be Toon Link.
Thanks for the feedback from both of you.
I think that Ghirahim is definitely off my roster, probably in favor of the return of Toon Link. I love the little guy, clone or not (although his moveset could EASILY be changed to center around Wind Waker). Fire Emblem deserves 3 reps, it's just a matter of who and why. Ike seemed to take Roy's place for recency, so even though people argue differently, there's no reason why I wouldn't believe that Chrom will do the same. And if any of the big 3 get another rep to add onto the 4, it's Pokemon.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
A Mario newcomer getting in pretty much depends on Sakurai's priorities:

If Sakurai wants to represent the next most important and iconic character in the Mario franchise, he will go with Toad.

If he wants to add in a luigi-fied newcomer late in development (think Toon Link and Wolf), he will add in Bowser Jr.

If he wants a character that represents a very popular sub-series within the Mario universe, he will go with Paper Mario.

Personally, I could see him going with either Toad or Paper Mario. Bowser Jr. is possible too, however, the only late "luigi-fied" newcomer I think has a really good shot is pretty much Dixie Kong, and Roy too if you consider Roy a newcomer this time around.

Its really difficult to know what Sakurai will be doing with veteran franchises. Especially so if Sakurai ends up again being a Too Bigot again this time around.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not that Ike took Roy's place, they originally were both going to have a place, it's just that he was prioritized higher, in part to being an original newcomer. Going by Sakurai's previous planned rosters, it wouldn't be too much to assume Sakurai will intend for Ike to come back, regardless of whether he ends up making the final roster or not (though I think chances are pretty good that he will).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Of course nobody factors the possibility that we won't get a new Mario character, which is actually the biggest possibility at the moment.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
View attachment 2461
Decided to switch the characters around, cause I can. Only notable change is that I cut Pac-man in favor of Shulk.
I say keep Pac-Man. I don't see Bowser Jr, Toon Zelda, or Sheriff, so there are many less likely characters than Pac-Man that could have been cut in favor of Shulk.

Edit: I don't really see Isaac either, but he's a possibility.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Of course nobody factors the possibility that we won't get a new Mario character, which is actually the biggest possibility at the moment.
It's a definite possibility, but I fail to see how it's the biggest possibility. Sure we've got the main four, but there are several popular characters who do have some notable level of importance to their series. Care to elaborate?

View attachment 2461
Decided to switch the characters around, cause I can. Only notable change is that I cut Pac-man in favor of Shulk.
A bit heavy on the amount of new series, cutting one or two might not be a bad idea, but overall good roster. ;)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know for sure. When it comes to the Mario series, I think we have all of the ones we really need, but I could definitely see it getting a newcomer. Mainly, Toad. He's been in the public eye as far as the Mario series since the original game, and he's really iconic. Plus, having a really short, but strong (as noted on his trophies citing his "super-human strength") character, who can use Spores and Mario series items (referencing his current Smash use as Peach's Neutral B and his role in the Mario series in operating the Toad Houses).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom