• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A backstory cutscene in Black 2/White 2 already disproves that.
*cough*Cilanisfullofit*cough*

Speaking of Pokemon, any other new reps to replace existing reps?
I would think Mewtwo over Lucario so far.
I don't see anyone replacing anyone, I think at least as far as planning goes all are intended to return, whether or not they return will probably not fall on a specific rep but rather they just didn't have the resources to get to the character.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm a huge fan of villains and would love to see more included. Here is a list if villains I'd like to see:

Ridley
Dark Samus
King K.Rool
Masked Man
Bowser Jr.
Petey Piranha
Hades
Medusa
Black Knight
That dragon-riding crazy king from FE
Metal Face
Skull Kid
Toon Ganon
Darknut
I guess Ghirahim

I would also love to see a villain represent a series but I highly doubt that could happen. As well, I'd like to see a 3rd party villain. Some ideas could be:

Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
M. Bison (Street Fighter)
Zombie (Zombie Wii U)
Garland (Final Fantasy)
Wesker (Resident Evil)

I think a 3rd party villain would be awesome because of the damage and chaos they could bring to the game; especially if there was a story. I was sold to the 3rd party villain based on what Ono said in an interview:

“Personally speaking, and expanding the roster to all of Capcom, I really wanted Mega Man to be in Smash Bros. because I think he kind of fits in that world. If I had to confine it to Street Fighter then it would definitely be M Bison, because I’d love that sort of mega-villian to fall upon all those pretty Nintendo characters and cause complete chaos.”

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You're asking me to show where he said he didn't understand what the Paper Mario thing is about???
I'm asking you to tell me where Hotfeet said that Paper Mario can't be a unique character.

So, here's a random tangent.

In my last SSB4 idea video, I thought of the Hero from Dragon Quest. I see it's been discussed here (a little), but it almost never got brought up on YouTube, so I don't know what the general feedback would be.

I like the idea of Snake, Sonic, and Mega Man; each 3rd party character is representing a company, so I always thought it would be cool to represent Square-Enix, but there always seemed to be a glaring problem with every potential candidate. I've started thinking that the Hero from Dragon Quest could really work for this position. Thoughts?
I've never really considered the Dragon Quest Hero character, but Slime has always been somebody I've been personally fond of seeing in Smash. Everybody tends to forget that Mario and Co. have crossed paths with the Dragon Quest franchise three times and Final Fantasy twice.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I'm asking you to tell me where Hotfeet said that Paper Mario can't be a unique character.

I've never really considered the Dragon Quest Hero character, but Slime has always been somebody I've been personally fond of seeing in Smash. Everybody tends to forget that Mario and Co. have crossed paths with the Dragon Quest franchise three times and Final Fantasy twice.
Uuuuhhhmmm...Ariand...buddy, I think that comment about Paper Mario was directed to CalumG, not me. :p

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Neither CalumG NOR Hotfeet ever said that.
Of course I wouldn't say that! I LOVE Paper Mario! I've designed unique movesets for Paper Mario many times before. Paper Mario's also getting a moveset for "Up To You!" And I've always said I'd love Paper Mario although I thought that Bowser Jr. was more likely.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Of course I wouldn't say that! I LOVE Paper Mario! I've designed unique movesets for Paper Mario many times before. Paper Mario's also getting a moveset for "Up To You!" And I've always said I'd love Paper Mario although I thought that Bowser Jr. was more likely.
Toad > Paper Mario > Bowser Jr.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Toad > Paper Mario > Bowser Jr.
That's purely opinion. Each character has their own reasons to be included over the other as each have their strong points and their weak points. Toad has his huge amount of appearances in Mario titles and fan support, Paper Mario has his unique chapter of the franchise and his fan support, and Bowser Jr has his increasingly big roles in the games and a ton of fan support like the other three. There's easily no clear-cut winner between them, and they should be seen as equals, especially considering they each represent different things. Bowser Jr. is now a partially main villain with tons of roles in such short years, Paper Mario is the hero of his own series, and Toad is part of the original Mario Five and the only one not playable in Smash Bros.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
That's purely opinion. Each character has their own reasons to be included over the other as each have their strong points and their weak points. Toad has his huge amount of appearances in Mario titles and fan support, Paper Mario has his unique chapter of the franchise and his fan support, and Bowser Jr has his increasingly big roles in the games and a ton of fan support like the other three. There's easily no clear-cut winner between them, and they should be seen as equals.
We're basically picking out of Mario's hat. I have Paper Mario because Sakurai has never really planned to have another mario CHARACTER, and planned a 2nd Mario in the last 2 installments.

That and I don't really like picking between Toad & Bowser Jr.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We're basically picking out of Mario's hat. I have Paper Mario because Sakurai has never really planned to have another mario CHARACTER, and planned a 2nd Mario in the last 2 installments.

And in both cases, Dr. Mario was always a last-minute addition. Dr. Mario is an afterthought.

Speaking of Pokemon, any other new reps to replace existing reps?
I would think Mewtwo over Lucario so far.
Since you asked.... personally I would replace Red with Gold, 1st gen starters with 2nd gen starters, Lucario with MegaMewtwo, and Jigglypuff with Meowth.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529

Picking between Mario characters certainly is never a fun task, especially since the franchise has so many likeable characters that distinguish from each other. My only issue is that while Paper Mario's games are like Smash Bros, coming out once per console release (Which hopefully means a Wii U release in the future) that Sakurai has shown almost no interest in the Paper Mario franchise. Sure, we got a bunch of trophies, but even with the somewhat recent release of Super Paper Mario in 2007, we didn't even get any music. But hey, maybe I'm looking too far into it and he's always had some kind of interest in Paper Mario in some way/shape/form, but only time will tell.

Also, wasn't the initial inclusion of Dr. Mario an accident? I'm not sure on the details, but it feels as if it was either that or a way to show respects to the end of the N64 era by having a character based off the last game made for it, AKA Dr. Mario 64.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Also, wasn't the initial inclusion of Dr. Mario an accident? I'm not sure on the details, but it feels as if it was either that or a way to show respects to the end of the N64 era by having a character based off the last game made for it, AKA Dr. Mario 64.
If I recall, there was a request for Mario to have his Dr. Mario costume, but Sakurai felt like it would be weird for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs, so he made him his own character.
In addition, he liked Dr. Mario's music, and also thought it would be fitting to have a doctor at an event like Smash Bros.

----

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
If I recall, there was a request for Mario to have his Dr. Mario costume, but Sakurai felt like it would be weird for Dr. Mario to shoot fireballs, so he made him his own character.
In addition, he liked Dr. Mario's music, and also thought it would be fitting to have a doctor at an event like Smash Bros.

----
Interesting, but I must ask...although Dr. Mario is indeed Mario in a doctor outfit, isn't Mario on his own already a licensed Physician?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I thought Dr. Mario was a cool addition, regardless of it just being different clothing. I think that because he's a classic addition to Melee as Jigglypuff is a classic edition to 64, that's why Sakurai wanted him to return.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Am I the only one who found this reasoning to be kind of odd when I first heard it? I mean, it is Mario, and Mario can shoot fireballs in Smash. Dr. Mario should still be able to because it's still Mario with different set of clothes.
I mean, does anyone else think that it'd be weird for the Doc to shoot fireballs? (Think about how you would answer pre-Melee I guess).

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Am I the only one who found this reasoning to be kind of odd when I first heard it? I mean, it is Mario, and Mario can shoot fireballs in Smash. Dr. Mario should still be able to because it's still Mario with different set of clothes.
I mean, does anyone else think that it'd be weird for the Doc to shoot fireballs? (Think about how you would answer pre-Melee I guess).
Yes, but it's only because Sakurai made it weird for him to throw fireballs.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Apparently, there is some alternate universe or something.

At least that's what Miyamoto said.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Considering it's still Mario in a doctor outfit, I don't think it'd look weird at all. It's like giving Sonic a Soccer uniform and a Soccer game and saying that it'd be weird for Soccer Sonic to use a spindash.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Then what did this come from then?

I believe it was from a list of questions Sakurai answered before Melee.
No, not about Dr. Mario shooting fireballs. About Dr. Mario being in a different universe according to Miyamoto.

The only thing I could find about Miyamoto saying anything about Dr. Mario was...
"Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate."
The idea of Mario having a fake PhD makes me laugh though.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
No, not about Dr. Mario shooting fireballs. About Dr. Mario being in a different universe according to Miyamoto.

The only thing I could find about Miyamoto saying anything about Dr. Mario was...
"Perhaps the Dr. Mario you're thinking of was maybe, in some way, not necessarily legitimate."
The idea of Mario having a fake PhD makes me laugh though.
oh then i have no idea

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Hey, what do you guys think about Bubbles from Clu Clu Land as a retro character?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey, what do you guys think about Bubbles from Clu Clu Land as a retro character?
I can't really see it happening.

Though she would have one of the most unique movesets of all time.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I noticed that Sakurai considered her in Melee, but chose not to because she's not a fighter. But Wii Fit Trainer and Villager aren't either so I'm wondering if it'll lead to him revisiting the idea.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Probably, if a character who never even used an attack on something in his/her before they got in Smash, then Sakurai would likely reconsider Bubbles. I'm not positive though.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Then what did this come from then?
That was aimed at me I believe for stating why Paper Mario definitely could be a clone even if he shouldn't be... SaturnGamer was just attempting to be condescending by quoting me and then referring to me as "he" rather than talking directly to me. At least, I think that's what was happening there.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That was aimed at me I believe for stating why Paper Mario definitely could be a clone even if he shouldn't be... SaturnGamer was just attempting to be condescending by quoting me and then referring to me as "he" rather than talking directly to me. At least, I think that's what was happening there.
Oh okay.
because i literally had no idea what was going on with what saturn was saying in the past two pages

Haydossy

Smash Journeyman
Here's a list I'm making. It's work in progress. Someone please tell me how to make a thread. This is my first post.

Name of Character Series of Origin
Young Link (Deku Link) The Legend of Zelda
Skull Kid The Legend of Zelda
Midna The Legend of Zelda
Tetra/Toon Zelda The Legend of Zelda
Ghirahim The Legend of Zelda
Toad & Toadette Super Mario
Bowser Jr. Super Mario
Kamek Super Mario / Yoshi
Rosalina Super Mario
Paper Mario Super Mario
Black Shadow F-Zero
Samurai Goroh F-Zero
Knuckle Joe Kirby
Waddle Dee & Waddle Doo Kirby
Marx Kirby
Daroach Kirby
Bandana Dee Kirby
Lance or Cynthia Pokemon
Mewtwo (Awakened Form) Pokemon
Pokemon Trainer/s Pokemon
Zoroark Pokemon
Tails Sonic
Knuckles Sonic
Shadow Sonic
Dr. Eggman Sonic
Tom Nook Animal Crossing
Booker & Copper Animal Crossing
Starfy The Legendary Starfy
Chrom Fire Emblem
Lyn Fire Emblem
Pac-man Pac-man
Porky Earthbound/Mother
Ninten Earthbound/Mother
Jeff Earthbound/Mother
Banjo & Kazooie Banjo & Kazooie
Krystal Star Fox
Isaac Golden Sun
King K. Rool Donkey Kong
Dixie Kong Donkey Kong
Tiny Kong Donkey Kong
Waluigi Warioware
Kat & Ana Warioware
Mona Warioware
9-Volt Warioware
Ashley Warioware
Palutena Kid Icarus
Magnus Kid Icarus
Zero Megaman
Bomberman Bomberman
Mii Mii
Li'l Mac Punch Out!!
Sora Kingdom Hearts
Maxwell Scribblenauts
Monita Nintendo Land
Lloyd Irving Tales of Symphonia
Shulk Xenoblade
Ridley Metroid
Anthony Metroid
Birdo Super Mario
Petey Piranha Super Mario
Daisy Super Mario
Geno Super Mario
Jumpman Super Mario
Fawful Super Mario
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi Super Mario
Shy Guy Yoshi
Meowth Pokemon
Giovanni Pokemon
Victini Pokemon
Plusle & Minun Pokemon
Phoenix Wright Phoenix Wright
Quickman Megaman
Bass and Treble Megaman
Galacta Knight Kirby
Prince Fluff Kirby
Yarn Kirby Kirby
King of All Cosmos Katamari
The Little Prince Katamari
Paula Earthbound/Mother
Professor Layton Professor Layton
Chibi Robo Chibi Robo
Slippy Star Fox
Peppy Star Fox
Excitebiker/s Excitebike
Amy Sonic
Rayman Rayman
Earthworm Jim Earthworm Jim
Lip Tetris
Jill Drill Dozer
Takamaru Nazo no Murasame-jō
Lolo Eggerland
Mike Jones StarTropics
Claus/Masked Man Earthbound/Mother
Kumatora Earthbound/Mother
Dragon King Super Smash Bros.
Captain Rainbow Captain Rainbow
Alph Pikmin
Dillion Dillion's Rolling Western
Andy Advance Wars
Black Mage Final Fantasy
Slime Dragon Quest
Urban Champion Urban Champion
Bubbles Clu Clu Land
Duck Hunt Dog Duck Hunt

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I played some WarioWare today and I was thinking...why not add another Wario rep? Let Wario have moves based off of Wario Land, while a WarioWare character can represent, well, WarioWare. I know Captain Syrup is a popular choice for another Wario character and while she certainly has moveset potential, I think a character from WarioWare would be a lot more interesting and unique.

A lot of people say Wario isn't worthy of another rep and I disagree. WarioWare is a well-enough selling and big enough series to warrant a character spot in Smash. Since the GBA, there has been at least one or more WarioWare games on a Nintendo console. It sells well and has 9 games in its lineup, so if Star Fox can warrant three reps, and Mother can warrant two reps, why can't Wario?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I played some WarioWare today and I was thinking...why not add another Wario rep? Let Wario have moves based off of Wario Land, while a WarioWare character can represent, well, WarioWare. I know Captain Syrup is a popular choice for another Wario character and while she certainly has moveset potential, I think a character from WarioWare would be a lot more interesting and unique.

A lot of people say Wario isn't worthy of another rep and I disagree. WarioWare is a well-enough selling and big enough series to warrant a character spot in Smash. Since the GBA, there has been at least one or more WarioWare games on a Nintendo console. It sells well and has 9 games in its lineup, so if Star Fox can warrant three reps, and Mother can warrant two reps, why can't Wario?
i agree. i think Warioware can justify having another rep. personally i lean towards Mona myself.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Although Ashley is a popular choice, I think if WarioWare got another representative, it should be one of the original characters from the first game, that being Mona, Jimmy T., Kat & Ana, Dribble & Spitz, Crygor, 9-Volt, or Orbulon.

Despite Dribble & Spitz and Orbulon being my favorites, I think Mona, Jimmy, Kat & Ana, 9-Volt, or Crygor would work best.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

We should also expand the Yoshi series too.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
We should also expand the Yoshi series too.
I'm really not sure about that, while I love Yoshi, I don't really think it needs a second rep, while I certainly wouldn't be mad if Kamek got in, I don't think the Baby characters warrant a spot enough. I'd personally be more happy with some changes to Yoshi.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here's a list I'm making. It's work in progress. Someone please tell me how to make a thread. This is my first post.

Name of Character Series of Origin
Young Link (Deku Link) The Legend of Zelda
Skull Kid The Legend of Zelda
Midna The Legend of Zelda
Tetra/Toon Zelda The Legend of Zelda
Ghirahim The Legend of Zelda
Toad & Toadette Super Mario
Bowser Jr. Super Mario
Kamek Super Mario / Yoshi
Rosalina Super Mario
Paper Mario Super Mario
Black Shadow F-Zero
Samurai Goroh F-Zero
Knuckle Joe Kirby
Waddle Dee & Waddle Doo Kirby
Marx Kirby
Daroach Kirby
Bandana Dee Kirby
Lance or Cynthia Pokemon
Mewtwo (Awakened Form) Pokemon
Pokemon Trainer/s Pokemon
Zoroark Pokemon
Tails Sonic
Knuckles Sonic
Shadow Sonic
Dr. Eggman Sonic
Tom Nook Animal Crossing
Booker & Copper Animal Crossing
Starfy The Legendary Starfy
Chrom Fire Emblem
Lyn Fire Emblem
Pac-man Pac-man
Porky Earthbound/Mother
Ninten Earthbound/Mother
Jeff Earthbound/Mother
Banjo & Kazooie Banjo & Kazooie
Krystal Star Fox
Isaac Golden Sun
King K. Rool Donkey Kong
Dixie Kong Donkey Kong
Tiny Kong Donkey Kong
Waluigi Warioware
Kat & Ana Warioware
Mona Warioware
9-Volt Warioware
Ashley Warioware
Palutena Kid Icarus
Magnus Kid Icarus
Zero Megaman
Bomberman Bomberman
Mii Mii
Li'l Mac Punch Out!!
Sora Kingdom Hearts
Maxwell Scribblenauts
Monita Nintendo Land
Lloyd Irving Tales of Symphonia
Shulk Xenoblade
Ridley Metroid
Anthony Metroid
Birdo Super Mario
Petey Piranha Super Mario
Daisy Super Mario
Geno Super Mario
Jumpman Super Mario
Fawful Super Mario
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi Super Mario
Shy Guy Yoshi
Meowth Pokemon
Giovanni Pokemon
Victini Pokemon
Plusle & Minun Pokemon
Phoenix Wright Phoenix Wright
Quickman Megaman
Bass and Treble Megaman
Galacta Knight Kirby
Prince Fluff Kirby
Yarn Kirby Kirby
King of All Cosmos Katamari
The Little Prince Katamari
Paula Earthbound/Mother
Professor Layton Professor Layton
Chibi Robo Chibi Robo
Slippy Star Fox
Peppy Star Fox
Excitebiker/s Excitebike
Amy Sonic
Rayman Rayman
Earthworm Jim Earthworm Jim
Lip Tetris
Jill Drill Dozer
Takamaru Nazo no Murasame-jō
Lolo Eggerland
Mike Jones StarTropics
Claus/Masked Man Earthbound/Mother
Kumatora Earthbound/Mother
Dragon King Super Smash Bros.
Captain Rainbow Captain Rainbow
Alph Pikmin
Dillion Dillion's Rolling Western
Andy Advance Wars
Black Mage Final Fantasy
Slime Dragon Quest
Urban Champion Urban Champion
Bubbles Clu Clu Land
Duck Hunt Dog Duck Hunt
Welcome to Smashboards! We have everything you need to speculate to your hearts content. If you have any questions, feel free to ask myself or anyone else with a red sign that reals "moderator" under his or her avatar.

As for that huge list, are those characters you thinl have potential to be in Snash bros, characters you would like to see included, or characters to believe will be included? This is the right forum of them regardless.

If you want to create a thread, please look at the Character Discussion Guidelines and Listings.

http://smashboards.com/threads/character-discussion-guidelines-listings-e3-2013-update.324452/

Please do not make a new thread if one already exists. As well, we do not permit separate threads for personal prediction rosters, wish lists, or character lists. Again, contact me if you have questions!

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom