• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
I like to throw out Crono as a Square rep. Yes he's not from Final Fantasy but FF doesn't really have a mascot. Slime for Enix could work but Square seems to be be the senior partner in Sqaure-Enix in the west. Dragon Quest though is massive in the East and I can see Slime getting in over any Square character unfortunately.
I think he'd be a cool character, but probably unlikely, well at least that's how I feel.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Dragon Quest Hero seems to be most likely as a Rep. As most of you can tell, Im a Kingdom Hearts fanboy, so of course I advocate Sora, but I don't find him iconic yet.

Sakurai already set the bar extraordinarily high with Megaman, so really the only 3rd party Rep that's iconic left is Pac-Man.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Kyurem can be alot more than that of your generic giant dragon boss, especially if he's a three-part battle with each of his forms. That, and the movie "Kyurem vs. the Swords of Justice" really showed how amazing the possibilities for the battle could be. Not to mention it's practically in the same place as Rayquaza was in Brawl, the big powerful pokemon from the last big movie before the current one, featuring super-powerful attacks and the like...although the Deoxys movie overall was rather boring.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly that Kyurem has potential, what I don't agree with is giving him priority due to the movie status or Gen V popularity. What exactly is making a compelling case between it, Xerneas/Yveltal, or any other recently promoted/boss-like Pokemon? Hell, I'd argue the Genesect Squad would make an awesome boss battle if I didn't know I'd be stepping on a lot of toes in this thread/wasn't too lazy to write it up. Rayquaza got in due to the requests/mentions he got before in a pre-Brawl poll I believe, as well as representing the 3rd Gen of Pokemon rather than the 4th (for which got Spear Pillar/Lucario, obviously) which hadn't been represented up until that point. I'd go as far to as to argue they'd probably pick N with both Zekrom or Reshiram before just Kyurem alone, even if it had "stages"

Yeah, Kyurem is the most generic looking thing ever. When I think giant dragon boss I think big icy chicken-looking thing. It has zero things that set it apart from every other boss-like Pokemon
Not wanting Kyurem as a boss is fine, but you say that like it doesn't set itself apart at all. That's not to say that Deoxys or Arceus or something wouldn't make interesting bosses, but give Kyurem some credit.

^ That's a chicken.

That all said you took my words too literally. Generic/giant dragon boss is just a really beaten-to-death trope in most video games that doesn't specifically refer to reptiles (Arceus/Regigigas/whatever else could fall into the category, as well). Yeah I get that intimidating/awesomeness is a factor, but I'd like to see something more creative. I'm not trying to come off as if I don't think Kyurem could be a cool boss (:awesome:), I just think there shouldn't be any special consideration given to it based off of past boss patterns/MUH RECENCY.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like to throw out Crono as a Square rep. Yes he's not from Final Fantasy but FF doesn't really have a mascot. Slime for Enix could work but Square seems to be be the senior partner in Sqaure-Enix in the west. Dragon Quest though is massive in the East and I can see Slime getting in over any Square character unfortunately.

Dude I'd die for Crono being in SSB4.

I don't put him anywhere in my wishlist because I don't even want to get a speck of hopes up. Square Enix doesn't care about him, despite him enbodying the Square+Enix alliance in my book (Chrono Trigger was made by staff from both parties before the merge).

But truth is... He was in my top 3 most wanted characters for Brawl.
And he is the true Square+Enix representative to me too.
Dragon Quest's Hero/Slime is just Enix, and Cloud/Chocobo is just Square.

Only Crono represents both sides at once to me. :)

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh I agree wholeheartedly that Kyurem has potential, what I don't agree with is giving him priority due to the movie status or Gen V popularity. What exactly is making a compelling case between it, Xerneas/Yveltal, or any other recently promoted/boss-like Pokemon? Hell, I'd argue the Genesect Squad would make an awesome boss battle if I didn't know I'd be stepping on a lot of toes in this thread/wasn't too lazy to write it up. Rayquaza got in due to the requests/mentions he got before in a pre-Brawl poll I believe, as well as representing the 3rd Gen of Pokemon rather than the 4th (for which got Spear Pillar/Lucario, obviously) which hadn't been represented up until that point. I'd go as far to as to argue they'd probably pick N with both Zekrom or Reshiram before just Kyurem alone, even if it had "stages"
You make a good point. And to be honest, I'd really want to have a boss battle against Origin Forme Giratina than that of a Kyurem boss battle.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
For Square Enix, either Black Mage or Slime would work. I would say Cloud or Sora for sheer popularity, but there history with Nintendo isn't as great as the other two, but hey Snake was in Brawl.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Yeah by begging.
I'm not begging for those characters though, I'm just mentioning there chances and how they could get in, personally, I don't expect a Square rep, tbh

Anyways, going back to the discussion of Mother Music, I think one of the best options for songs is a medley like OoT had in Brawl. I mean there are so many memorable songs to the franchise, that a medley would be the best way to fit a portion of the favorites.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I realize Platinum was in development during Brawl, but I still never got why Cresselia was there in Giratina's place.
Probably because Giratina's role in Diamond/Pearl was very very small and he didn't have a connection to Dialga and Palkia at the time. Then again, neither did Cresselia. They might as well used Darkrai thanks to the movie and it's just as un-connected to the beasts of Time and Space like that of Cresselia.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You don't honestly think that Kojima "begged" for Snake to be in Smash Bros do you? MGS is a super-popular and super-successful franchise, it's not as if he needed any extra promotion of his character. It was more of a friendly deal than that of Kojima kissing Sakurai's feet.
This this this this this this this. I hate when people use that against Snake, or just bring it up in general. Snake didn't get in just because Kojima "begged".

If I had a popular character I would totally want him/her in Smash. I'd ask Sakurai any day.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A Square Enix character from FF that could work would probably be Chocobo (unofficial mascot that has appeared notably in spinoffs on Nintendo systems), Mog (has also recurred notably) or Black Mage (a prominent and classic class type). A specific character could happen but I'm worried they'd skip over characters like Cecil, Bartz and Terra (who hail from the Nintendo era) for the aforementioned Cloud or Lightning considering their recent trends and... Questionable business practices.

Speaking of which: Lighting returns to the Brawl!

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Honestly, since this is modern Square-Enix, they'll push for Lightning. She hasn't had a major role on a Nintendo platform, but she did appear in Theatrythm Final Fantasy. Cloud, of course, is a good choice, and Sora has had multiple games on DS.

edit: LIGHTNING IN A CLOUD OUTFIT IT'S BRILLIANT

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sega - Sonic
Capcom - Mega Man
Namco - Pac-Man
Konami - Simon Belmont
Square Enix - Slime & Chocobo (Slime riding on Chocobo)

Perfect for me.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
That's the problem with Square-Enix. Someone says Capcom you say Mega-Man. Say Namco and it's Pac-Man. Say Square-Enix and it's likely Final Fantasy. Most other companies have a mascot but not Square-Enix, that's why I think Crono would be a cool compromise. It's unlikely but the whole SE rep argument is very difficult, too much choice and not enough mascot.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Sega - Sonic
Capcom - Mega Man
Namco - Pac-Man
Konami - Simon Belmont
Square Enix - Slime & Chocobo (Slime riding on Chocobo)

Perfect for me.
Definitely solid choices, although I think Snake is more of a mascot for Konami than that of Simon Belmont, but that's debatable. Also, can the Moogles get some love?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
That all said you took my words too literally. Generic/giant dragon boss is just a really beaten-to-death trope in most video games that doesn't specifically refer to reptiles (Arceus/Regigigas/whatever else could fall into the category, as well). Yeah I get that intimidating/awesomeness is a factor, but I'd like to see something more creative. I'm not trying to come off as if I don't think Kyurem could be a cool boss (:awesome:), I just think there shouldn't be any special consideration given to it based off of past boss patterns/MUH RECENCY.
Oh, okay, point taken then.
But when I said chicken-like I was more so referring to Kyurem's legs...they look strangely slender and bird-like.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meh, Snake doesn't really excite me... no nostalgic feelings with Metal Gear games with me like I have with Castlevania games. I dislike the fact that Kojima does not make Metal Gear games for Nintendo consoles... Metal Gear Solid for the Gamecube? Metal Gear Solid for the 3DS? They are just remakes of Playstation games! Gimme a brand-new Metal Gear Solid game for the Wii U (alongside PS4) and we will talk.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, Square Enix has some really good characters, I'll admit. I just don't think we'll be seeing one in a Smash game anytime soon. Aren't they notoriously hard to work with when it comes to crossovers?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Oh, okay, point taken then.
But when I said chicken-like I was more so referring to Kyurem's legs...they look strangely slender and bird-like.
Considering how Kyurem's body is styled and how toothpick-esque its legs are compared to the rest of its body...if this thing was real, it'd be dragging its body along the ground as there's no way those legs would be able to hold up the amount of weight Kyurem has. However, the whole thing about Kyurem being the empty husk left behind by the pokemon that broke off into Reshiram and Zekrom, perhaps Kyurem's body is somewhat hollow and empty, allowing for it to move around easier. However, Kyurem is around 713 pounds and is accordingly only 9'10", so I don't know.

Does anybody think Takamaru's flame sword might make Roy less prioritized?
Nope, not at all. The flame sword is not what makes Takamaru a good idea, it's his unique sword play. Just because both he and Roy's swords can use fire attacks doesn't mean that one is a bigger deal than that of the other. Not to mention it's not as if their entire moveset is based around the designs of fire, so in short, no, I don't believe it will make a difference in Roy's priority.

CalumG

Smash Lord
You don't honestly think that Kojima "begged" for Snake to be in Smash Bros do you? MGS is a super-popular and super-successful franchise, it's not as if he needed any extra promotion of his character. It was more of a friendly deal than that of Kojima kissing Sakurai's feet.
Nah don't lie to yourself we all know Kojima gave our man Sakurai a blowjob on the sly round the back of a convention booth.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody think Takamaru's flame sword might make Roy less prioritized?

What's to say Roy isn't redesigned anyway? Takamaru has projectiles and other fun things to utilise. One similar move, I would hope, wouldn't count either of them out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You are right, it wasn't Kojima who begged Sakurai to put Snake in... it was Kojima's son (with the same last name) who begged Sakurai.... so technically it was Kojima who begged Sakurai. :troll:

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
You are right, it wasn't Kojima who begged Sakurai to put Snake in... it was Kojima's son (with the same last name) who begged Sakurai.... so technically it was Kojima who begged Sakurai. :troll:
This brand new sitcom, The Kojimas beg Sakurai, will be coming never, this fall on *Insert random network here*.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What music do you guys think should make it into SSB4? I hope the Tetris Theme B stays...
I have a few I've thought about.
For Mega Man, I want a rock remix of Snake Man's theme and a Flamenco version of Cut Man's. This is all I ask from Capcom.
For Mario, I want some RPG music. Especially Bowser's Inside Story final boss music. My favorite song from my favorite game! :)
Earthbound, I say New Age Retro Hippie Battle, just cuz.

For Square rep, I want Slime or Crono.
No Cloud.
No Sora.
Slime or Crono.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I was thinking...
What new villains does everyone want in the game? It needs more, and there are some great candidates. Here are mine:
K. Rool
Ridley
Porky
Mewtwo (not truly "new" though)
There are more, these are just my top 4. Any suggestions for villains?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking...
What new villains does everyone want in the game? It needs more, and there are some great candidates. Here are mine:
K. Rool
Ridley
Porky
Mewtwo (not truly "new" though)
There are more, these are just my top 4. Any suggestions for villains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom