• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai wanted to keep the Mario series at solely the main four he wouldn't have planned to include a fifth Mario character twice...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This is decidedly different than the roster I have in the roster contest.
My Roster Roster.png

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Said character being a last minute clone of Mario and generally being stuck in limbo since.
Regardless, if Sakurai thought the Mario series should be limited to the four most prominent characters and no others, he wouldn't have even included him in the first place, clone or not. And he certainly wouldn't have attempted to add him again. It's possible we don't get another Mario character this time, but it wouldn't be because Sakurai thought the series to be limited to what it had in Brawl.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
@Louie G
Good roster! I'd only advocate for cutting Ghirahim. I'd also consider keeping Lucario, and adding another FE character (Ike being the best choice).
This and Isaac over Shulk.

I liked it still.
If Sakurai wanted to keep the Mario series at solely the main four he wouldn't have planned to include a fifth Mario character twice...
Didn't he also say he felt that making a Dr. Mario costume wouldn't be enough?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Regardless, if Sakurai thought the Mario series should be limited to the four most prominent characters and no others, he wouldn't have even included him in the first place, clone or not. And he certainly wouldn't have attempted to add him again. It's possible we don't get another Mario character this time, but it wouldn't be because Sakurai thought the series to be limited to what it had in Brawl.
I find it odd why he wanted to bring back Dr. Mario, but not Pichu or Young Link, though.

----

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Didn't he also say he felt that making a Dr. Mario costume wouldn't be enough?
I believe his reasoning was it would be strange that Dr. Mario was shooting fireballs instead of Megavitamins.

I find it odd why he wanted to bring back Dr. Mario, but not Pichu or Young Link, though.

----
Young Link is pretty understandable with the addition of Toon Link, that's really the only case of one character actually replacing another, and considering he wanted to include Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, and possibly Plusle and Minun (and obv Pikachu) over Pichu, it's not that surprising he didn't even bother with him. He was very poorly received in Melee anyway.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I believe his reasoning was it would be strange that Dr. Mario was shooting fireballs instead of Megavitamins.
I find it odd that this was the thing that Sakurai considered strange; not a man of medicine beating the snot out of people. Guess Doc went to the same school of medicine as Team Fortress's Medic.

Do No Harm indeed.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Guys, guys.

We all know Doc Mario isn't happening since Paper Mario is taking the spot of Mario semi-clone. :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
A MARIO AND A BOWSER CLONE. JUST WHAT WE NEED. :estatic:
Da best!

No, I'm sure Bowser Jr. would make a fine addition to the roster and has moveset potential that far outstrips being a lame double clone of two characters.

I just hope Sakurai doesn't do that to him if he's a last minute addition.

Edit: I know you guys know I'm joking but since I have Toad in my username I have to put this so as not to seem like I'm slandering against a potential rival character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So...

Am I the only one who is getting a bit sick and tired of people bemoaning the fact that it's unfair that Super Smash Bros. doesn't allow third parties to have an equal representation?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Who says this?
Today: Supporter in the Shadow the Hedgehog thread. I'm not my nicest in that thread, but feel free to read it. There's a few suggestions that he'd be a great addition and they should let more sonic characters in.

I've seen it in a few places; usually third party support threads, Sonic character threads tend to be worse, but once or twice in other threads around this section of the forum.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Sonic should just have his own fighting game at this rate since Sonic the Fighters has done reasonably well ever since people have been actually able to play it.

But no, Third-Parties don't need equal representation as cool as Nack the Weasel would be. Let's just keep guest characters as guest characters. I think if they keep the same guest characters (Or all they get licensing back to) and add in two each game it'll be fine because even in the future it won't be that much - Especially given how many characters might not return.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
I think: rob, snake, lucas, ike, wolf, lucario and pkm trainer, will be out but Zoroark, Krystal and another Fire Emblem character will be in, maybe another pkm trainer generation...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Of course when it comes to third-party characters people tend to forget a very fundamental fact about Super Smash Bros.

It's a Nintendo crossover, a series of games where varies characters created by Nintendo are put into the same scenario. Naturally that notion is always going to be the dominate one, which is constantly emphasized in varies interviews. Third-party characters can happen, but it's always important to remember is that they are not the main focus and never will be, and choosing which ones is a very precise ordeal.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think: rob, snake, lucas, ike, wolf, lucario and pkm trainer, will be out but Zoroark, Krystal and another Fire Emblem character will be in, maybe another pkm trainer generation...
I hate to say it but you're going to be frowned upon a good majority of the users here for that post.

Welcome to SmashBoards anyways! :D

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Today: Supporter in the Shadow the Hedgehog thread. I'm not my nicest in that thread, but feel free to read it. There's a few suggestions that he'd be a great addition and they should let more sonic characters in.

I've seen it in a few places; usually third party support threads, Sonic character threads tend to be worse, but once or twice in other threads around this section of the forum.
Oh god. Third parties should be 1 per company, no exceptions. Sonic is the most deserving franchise in Smash to have multiple characters? coughmarioandpokemoncough.

?????????????

Smash Master
New question, What would be your reaction if Bayonetta gets in over Sonic?
I would think it's very very strange, but I guess I wouldn't be upset. I don't really have an attachment to either character. I get more excited for new Nintendo characters in SSB more than any 3rd party.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I would think it's very very strange, but I guess I wouldn't be upset. I don't really have an attachment to either character. I get more excited for new Nintendo characters in SSB more than any 3rd party.
I agree. I didn't really care for Sonic, and I don't really care for Bayonetta, but I would be shocked if that happened. Sonic is legendary. He shouldn't be replaced by someone lesser than him.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Removing Sonic at this point it kind of very ambiguous. While already appearing in the franchise would normally be an advantage because it's by a technical standpoint easier to utilize familiar programming and designing then to create one from scratch, and from a meta standpoint encouraging fans that they are guaranteed that their favorite characters are returning. I have a hunch that might not be enough for Sonic, by virtue of what's going on being ambiguous. Third party characters play from different rules from first and second party characters, what might apply to one thing probably won't work for another. This means that Snake and Sonic could in theory be a one hit wonder and never return to the series in traditional guest fashion in order to avoid copyright complications later on, but it may also mean they'll come back or at least one of the two will return. Basically we're in the dark.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It does not always have to be about Legendary status.
Sakurai said he wont just let any 3rd party in his game, having included Sonic, snake, and now Megaman, all three legends and icons of video games. Although never directly stated, I feel it's implied that third parties have to be a VERY BIG DEAL if they are to be considered.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I've found as a general rule, you can get a general gist of how big a Nintendo fan is by how many 3rd Party predictions they have for Smash.

Smashboards >>>>>>>>>> Miiiverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom