• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Both last appeared in a Zelda game in 2011, but Sheik is creatable in Scribblenauts, and is already a part of Smash Brothers. What reason is there to replace Sheik with Impa?

Sheik will never be in another Zelda game.
Sheik has only been in one title, Ocarina of Time.
Each and every Zelda is a different incaration, so only OoT Zelda can tranform into Sheik logically.

Also, in the Mario Universe is not equal to being a Mario character.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Each and every Zelda is a different incaration, so only OoT Zelda can tranform into Sheik logically.

Also, in the Mario Universe is not equal to being a Mario character.
So if we get Skyward Sword Zelda, do you think we'll be getting Sheik?
Because last Zelda was Twilight Princess, and it still happened.

And also, I think the correct way to discuss this is that everything is part of the DK universe.
Cuz DK came first.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Also here's another thing: How does Zelda turning into Impa in Skyward Sword make sense?

I'm just curious, and believe me, I've heard almost every single spoiler from skyward sword.
I've never even played the game, but I think that what everyone is saying is that it could be sort of a tag team, not Zelda changing into Impa.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Also here's another thing: How does Zelda turning into Impa in Skyward Sword make sense?

I'm just curious, and believe me, I've heard almost every single spoiler from skyward sword.

Some want Impa to be separate and have Zelda standalone. Considering the back lash from fans though that's not going to happen.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Do ANY Zelda mains or Sheik mains play switch-style?

I was never a main of either, but I always played them switch-style... Until Pokemon Trainer came around. :D I've never cared for Zelda/Sheik again.
So I know at least I wouldn't miss the transformation move.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
In recent months though Nintendo has made DLC. Fire Emblem Awakening had extra missions where you could recruit lords from previous games and New Super Mario Bros U has the Luigi add-on. Both of these have been welcome and in no way an insult to those who wished to, or not to, purchase it.

I have every faith if Smash has DLC it'll be worth while but Sakurai's mindset on the matter is healthy. Cram as much in to make the best game he possibly can. I forget what it's like in those early days of Melee and Brawl all too often but the amount of time spent investing in trophies and beating event mode, classic, all-star and playing target smash and homerun, I can't imagine what else the man could possibly fit in but I can't wait to find out.
I like to think of FE Awakening as a good model to do DLC. Its integrated so well. Just the fact that theres alot of extra missions tacked on here and there, allowing access to new characters, if you want, and best of all FREE OF CHARGE! The actual DLC that costs money is significant and has a different stories, and makes sense that it costs a few dollars (anyone know the cost?)

If they use a similar model for Smash, I would be really happy. Patches and updates, and free DLC for very minor things (adding things like coin battle, target games, etc.) And a low cost for additional characters, which will hopefully come with some other stuff (stages, music, maybe a new game mode that you have to complete to unlock the new characters? instead of pay to play, its pay and play to play, kind of giving purpose to the DLC other than "look at these characters! LOL)

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Sure, it's unlikely, but it's not impossible. Unless you work for Nintendo and have direct Word of God that Sheik will never be in another Zelda game, I don't think you can claim that, especially since she was planned to be in Twilight Princess. Only two Impa's have appeared in more than one title, and one of them was only through the manuals, so only the Oracle Impa is more recurring than Sheik, who was planned to appear in another game.

And why does Smash have to follow home series logic? In the original, Link used the boomerang, something he couldn't use as an adult in Ocarina of Time, which his appearance was based on. Zelda uses the spells Link learns in Ocarina of Time, even when she's from Twilight Princess. Mario can't shoot fireballs without a fire flower in Mario, but he doesn't need one in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Transform isn't the thing, more like, switch in. Like the implied Diddy & Dixie Kong duo would.

I'm gonna be frank, if you want Impa standalone, what the **** would be the point in removing Sheik?

Do you all just hate original characters or something? What the ****.

Gameplay balance, roster space, Sheik not making sence.

Impa could inherrit a lot of traits of Sheik though. A few moves to, or moves with similar function.

Sure, it's unlikely, but it's not impossible. Unless you work for Nintendo and have direct Word of God that Sheik will never be in another Zelda game, I don't think you can claim that, especially since she was planned to be in Twilight Princess. Only two Impa's have appeared in more than one title, and one of them was only through the manuals, so only the Oracle Impa is more recurring than Sheik, who was planned to appear in another game.
Sheik was a quite popular character in Ocarina of Time, and Melee. Why didn't they try and bring her back? I have no Word of God, no. But logical assumptions work just as well. See, Wind Waker, also featured a Zelda in disguise. Tetra. And in Twilight Princess, she was planned but never made it in. Next major console release, they didn't plan for Sheik, but Impa. So in a logical sence, Sheik as a character has been replaced in the series by Tetra, and then Impa.

And why does Smash have to follow home series logic? In the original, Link used the boomerang, something he couldn't use as an adult in Ocarina of Time, which his appearance was based on. Zelda uses the spells Link learns in Ocarina of Time, even when she's from Twilight Princess. Mario can't shoot fireballs without a fire flower in Mario, but he doesn't need one in Smash.[/quote]

Cause Zelda can also use different Down B attacks.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Transform isn't the thing, more like, switch in. Like the implied Diddy & Dixie Kong duo would.
Okay.

Gameplay balance, roster space, Sheik not making sence.

Impa could inherrit a lot of traits of Sheik though. A few moves to, or moves with similar function.
Sheik makes sense
Roster space is fine; granted it will take up a character but it we won't get another character out of it...

Gameplay balance... eh.

Or she could also not, or just have some similar traits (Like you know, the sword characters)

You still lose an original character who can switch and gain... not much in return.

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Do ANY Zelda mains or Sheik mains play switch-style?

I was never a main of either, but I always played them switch-style... Until Pokemon Trainer came around. :D I've never cared for Zelda/Sheik again.
So I know at least I wouldn't miss the transformation move.
I play Sheik/Zelda as a secondary to my Link xD

Depending on the opponent depends which character i'll start with. Though I normally start as Sheik. I switch do Zelda if my opponent is getting good reads or if I'm having trouble killing. Sheik is good for gimping, but Zelda is amazing for baiting and bair or smashing.

I would be upset if Impa replaced Sheik. Sheik and Cpt. Falcon are like smash characters now, without smash I think they would pretty much be dead.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I don't get the Impa hate, and quite frankly I don't get why Sheik has to be removed to make way for Impa.

That being said I wouldn't mind Sheik being removed to make room in the development schedule for more newcomer development, but that'd be my opinion regardless of whether I supported Impa or not.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Either keep Zelda/Sheik like it has been, or just remove Sheik and add Impa as a seperate character. Having a Zelda/Impa combo is really off.

If they remove Sheik and leave Zelda alone, and then add Impa, I have one concern. Technically, a new character wasn't added. Impa will probably play exactly or very similar to Sheik, and so it kind of eats up a character slot for the Zelda series, without bringing anything new. You can change Impa's moveset, sure, but she's still part of the Sheikah, as was Sheik. Their fighting styles would probably be the same.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
I think this Impa discussion has gone far enough.
Anyone think that Kid Icarus needs a new rep?
Perhaps. It still is a small franchise, and other franchises in need of more representation character-wise, like Metroid or DK, should get higher priority.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I honest to god think the same thing I said in Roster Prediction Thread - It doesn't need one.

I think it'd be a good idea, but I think some series should come first. No, I'm not going to say Mother. More like, F-Zero, Yoshi and Wario (Maybe; depends on Sakurai's idea of repping them), Maybe Star Fox (It's arguable), Fire Emblem (To have it at three instead of removing one or keeping it the same), Donkey Kong, Metroid, and one of the big three (Mewtwo back or Paper Mario could work to satisfy me enough)

No, not all of those are needed, but I'd argue at least half would be good to have before we get Pale Tuna.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
All this Impa debate is actually making me look forward to Impa's day on Rate Their Chances. :p

I'll be (obviously) watching closely the want %s.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think Metroid, DK, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus all get new reps this time around.
For me, Palutena is a given. I loved her in Uprising, she's a great character.
By the way, g2g, even though I just started this discussion.
Keep discussing though!

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
I think Metroid, DK, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus all get new reps this time around.
For me, Palutena is a given. I loved her in Uprising, she's a great character.
By the way, g2g, even though I just started this discussion.
Keep discussing though!
Yeah, Palutena was a fun and interesting character in Uprising.

And bye, by the way.

On a somewhat related note, I'm almost done with my new and revised roster, I'll be posting it here soon so you guys can critique or rant or what not.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
Waluigi, Miis, and Dark Pit are the only Nintendo characters that I do not want in this game and I can't believe some people expect and want them. I'm a little more lenient on the Miis though.

If KI gets a new rep, probably Palutena or Magnus but I don't expect them in the game.

Lasifer

Smash Ace
NNID
Lasifer
3DS FC
3995-6509-4052
I fully expect Fire emblem and Donkey Kong to have one new rep each and of course I would like to see Ridley as a new Metroid character and any new Mother character really.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I honestly believe that Ghirahim has a great chance. People may argue this, but he is the number 1 most requested new Zelda character in Japan (source: Chronobound's Japan poll post). Also, he is in fact relevant (although not a great point), and he has lots of moveset potential. Not to mention he would be the only non-heavyweight villain.
They aren't interested much in a Zelda newcomer. Just because he was the most wanted Zelda newcomer does not mean he is a highly requested character overall. Skyward Sword sold very poorly as far as the Zelda series goes in Japan.

To be fair, the West is not too interested in a Zelda newcomer either.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
There is a reason why Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Luigi were grouped together in Smash 64.
i was always under the impression that the roster on 64 was arranged by the characters first appearances. (excluding the unlockable character)
Mario and DK in 1981
Link in Feb 1986
Samus in August 1986
Yoshi in 1990
Kirby 1992
Fox 1993
and Pikachu in 1996. at least thats the way ive always seen it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I personally don't think KI is really in need of a new rep. Though it can be justified similarly to Mother.

Palutena is almost unanimously considered the go-to character for a 2nd KI rep, largely due to appearing in all 3 games of the series and her popularity post-Uprising.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Oh no now I'm doing one of these screw you guys. >: I have a feeling I'm gonna get flak for this. I bet I'm gonna miss something as well but here I go

Should for sure get a new rep

-DK
-Metroid
-Pokemon (Mewtwo)

Are more questionable, but can have a new rep
-Star Fox
-Mario
-Fire Emblem

Are down in the middle, but relatively harmless to having a rep
-Zelda
-Kid Icarus
-Animal Crossing
-F-Zero

Are probably not going to get a new rep, and probably don't need one anyways-Wario (Arguable)-Yoshi
-Mother
-Pikmin

100% don't need a new rep
-Kirby
-Any of the retro's that aren't Kid Icarus

-The Third-Parties
-Mother can arguably be put here
-Same with Yoshi, Pikmin, and just about everything else from the orange column

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom