• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
My blood boils when people suggest Toon Zelda/Sheik being a better choice than either Tingle or Impa. And then when pressed on the matter, the 'Forbidden Seven' excuse gets used...

Being one of the cut seven does not mean they're important - it just means they're an easy add. Heck, Dr. Mario was in the Forbidden Seven, why don't I see him on even half as many rosters as I see Toon Zelda? Not only was every cut character in Brawl either a low-priority veteran or a clone (or both in some cases), but there was obviously a reason why Sakurai prioritized 39 other characters over them. Mewtwo aside, I don't see anything in the Melee cut characters that doesn't look exactly like an attempt by Sakurai to bulk out the roster of the game with cheap-and-cheerful last-minute additions (see: the Melee clones, Pichu, Young Link and Doc Mario especially).

So yeah... somebody please explain this Toon Zelda bs to me because I can't get my head around why people would either want or predict her inclusion.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Which franchises does everyone feel is underrepped?

Metroid. Even if you include Zero Suit I still think there's room for a biggun' if you'll pardon the pun.

I think given Kid Icarus's renaissance I think there's room for Pauletena as well but I think three is a stretch.

Donkey Kong should definitely have three and depending on roster size maybe four.

F-Zero may seem underepped but anyone other than Captain Falcon is controversial. F-zero still gets a lot of love in terms of stages though.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My blood boils when people suggest Toon Zelda/Sheik being a better choice than either Tingle or Impa. And then when pressed on the matter, the 'Forbidden Seven' excuse gets used...

Being one of the cut seven does not mean they're important - it just means they're an easy add. Heck, Dr. Mario was in the Forbidden Seven, why don't I see him on even half as many rosters as I see Toon Zelda? Not only was every cut character in Brawl either a low-priority veteran or a clone (or both in some cases), but there was obviously a reason why Sakurai prioritized 39 other characters over them. Mewtwo aside, I don't see anything in the Melee cut characters that doesn't look exactly like an attempt by Sakurai to bulk out the roster of the game with cheap-and-cheerful last-minute additions (see: the Melee clones, Pichu, Young Link and Doc Mario especially).

So yeah... somebody please explain this Toon Zelda bs to me because I can't get my head around why people would either want or predict her inclusion.
You know what? I always forget Tingle. I would actually kind of like his inclusion because:
A. He is unique
B. He is important to Zelda
C. He can rep a new series (the Tingle series)
D. He fits Sakurai's criteria

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Metroid. Even if you include Zero Suit I still think there's room for a biggun' if you'll pardon the pun.

I think given Kid Icarus's renaissance I think there's room for Pauletena as well but I think three is a stretch.

Donkey Kong should definitely have three and depending on roster size maybe four.

F-Zero may seem underepped but anyone other than Captain Falcon is controversial. F-zero still gets a lot of love in terms of stages though.
F-Zero really doesn't need a new rep, but having stages for it is wonderful. I think F-Zero is getting enough love.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

I agree with absolutely everything you just said.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I think Metroid is pretty well represented in its own way.

3 Stages, 2 (movesets) "characters", PLENTY of music, an Assist Trophy, and 2 Bosses.

BUT, it could use another playable character for sure.

I feel Classic Nes games are underrepresented. :p Ice Climbers is great and all, but it hardly defined the NES era for people other than Sakurai. XD

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I think Metroid is pretty well represented in its own way.

3 Stages, 2 (movesets) "characters", PLENTY of music, an Assist Trophy, and 2 Bosses.

BUT, it could use another playable character for sure.

I feel Classic Nes games are underrepresented. :p Ice Climbers is great and all, but it hardly defined the NES era for people other than Sakurai. XD

I think once Ridley is added the Metroid series, in terms of classic playable characters will be pretty much complete. Of course there's still people you could add but I'd say it'd be in a similar place to Kirby or Starfox. All the main characters are in so there's no need to shovel less important characters in.

Jim_Puff

Smash Apprentice
Ya know, I realized that 'underrepped' doesn't only mean playable characters. I know, I'm an idiot.

So I guess Metroid is repped very well. And in that case, I guess DK is even MORE underrepped.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
K.Rool really is no Mario character. Neither is Donkey Kong really. He just so likes to appear in Mario games, and yeah, technically they're in the same universe. But only Yoshi's Island should really count as a Mario 'subseries' seeing as Mario is still heavily featured in Yoshi's Island's story. Mario is nowhere to be seen in DKC, or WarioLand / WarioWare. I'd argue that pre- WarioWare, Wario would definitely count as a Mario subseries. Seeing as Wario actually was created as an evil Mario, and in Mario's 'own' separate series from Donkey Kong.

See, the Mario series heavily evolved after Donkey Kong, the arcade game. Donkey Kong and Mario's histories are coming from the same root, but evolved heavily from that. Mario got it's own universe first, after that it was decided that Donkey Kong could use an universe of himself with Donkey Kong Country. To be calling both from the same series, even though DK doesn't appear in main Mario titles (Yoshi does) and even calling HIS OWN UNIVERSE'S MAIN VILLAIN a Mario character isn't right at all.

The pictures are pretty though on your roster. Disagree with Robin, Sheik, no Isaac and Shulk. Otherwise, perfect roster.
The issue here is that at the end of the day, DK and Wario their evenings playing Tennis, Baseball, Extreme Soccer, Golf, Partying Hard, and Kart Racing with Mario. Demoting themselves down to Mario characters. The DK Crew (at least the ones Nintendo wanted to keep relevant) and K. Rool ended up joining DK for Baseball, so they became Mario characters too.

I was just suggesting that adding in a new character to Mario / DK / Wario / Yoshi is basically adding to the Mario section entirely.

Toon Zelda's all by herself.
Uh, wouldn't destroy the point that makes Toon Zelda a likable and unique character comparison to the other Zeldas in the franchise? Toon Zelda is really just notable for her personality in Tetra. I would certainly expect Tetra before Toon Zelda, especially because Tetra despised her crew calling her Princess Zelda after the Windwaker incident in Phantom Hourglass (She herself is not fond of this new personality people are creating for her).

Tetra is what sets Toon Zelda apart from the other variations of her on the timelines and is what makes her unique and so likable. If you think of her as just being "Toon Sheik" and an expendable character, you'd be mistaken.

Would work. Better.
Doesn't work for Toon Zelda or Zelda under any normal circumstance.
If Impa was added, it should be as her own her own fully unique character. I don't know why you'd want demean her by making her a tag along character for Zelda.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I really don't like the idea of Dark Samus. I don't see the appeal for that character.
I don't think that she's necessary, but Sakurai is well known for throwing in (Semi) clones last minute. For example, Toon Link and Wolf.
Dark Samus would be a good idea for this.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

It's pretty much JUST the Forbidden Seven. Which I stand by has some decent inclusions within it(I personally do want Roy back albeit 'luigified', Mewtwo's obviously loved and Dixie's heavily requested.) but I agree I'm not convinced on Toon Zelda being a vital addition, even if Tetra was a really cool character*.
Probably doesn't help that Zelda has so few reoccuring characters that Toon Zelda actually seems like a viable choice, especially when roster predicting to make sure Mario, Pokemon and Zelda have the most reps because they're the "Big Three".

*Yeah I know it was going to be Toon Sheik, but that inclusion is even more idiotic. "Let's just MAKE up a character to waste a roster slot now!" Why not?.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think that she's necessary, but Sakurai is well known for throwing in (Semi) clones last minute. For example, Toon Link and Wolf.
Dark Samus would be a good idea for this.

What if Dark Samus turns into Dark Zero Suit Samus. :troll: (Toon Sheik anyone?)
Or Dark Samus could turn into...

*WILD SHINHED-ECHI FLED*

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be honest, I'm relatively new to both, so from a non-bias perspective, K. Rool has to get in before even Ridley.
Don't tell anyone at the Rildey thread I said this.

Speaking up against Ridley is the greatest sin ever on this board apperantly.

However, I don't give a damn. :estatic:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The issue here is that at the end of the day, DK and Wario their evenings playing Tennis, Baseball, Extreme Soccer, Golf, Partying Hard, and Kart Racing with Mario. Demoting themselves down to Mario characters. The DK Crew (at least the ones Nintendo wanted to keep relevant) and K. Rool ended up joining DK for Baseball, so they became Mario characters too.

I was just suggesting that adding in a new character to Mario / DK / Wario / Yoshi is basically adding to the Mario section entirely.
In that case, Mario, Yoshi and even LINK appeared in DKC2 first.

So now, I apperantly want THREE new Donkey Kong Country characters: King K.Rool, Dixie and Impa.

And no, Impa coupled with Zelda wouldn't make that much sence. But seeing as Impa IS Zelda's sworn guardian after all... It could work. It definitely makes more sence than coupling Zelda with Sheik at this point though.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be honest, I wouldn´t know who to choose between Ridley and K.Rool.

I like Ridley because I love Metroid, and like mentioned before, he would be the final staple to the perfect representation of Metroid in SSB.

But on the other hand.... K.Rool. I love DKC. And... K.rool challenged DK to a boxing match (or it looks that way). :D The Kremling has dignity. (After learning about that boss fight, I want to play DK64 real bad now, and made me like K.Rool even more).

...but I went in Ridley in that thread where we had to choose...

Louie G.

Smash Hero

So now, I apperantly want THREE new Donkey Kong Country characters: King K.Rool, Dixie and Impa.

And no, Impa coupled with Zelda wouldn't make that much sence. But seeing as Impa IS Zelda's sworn guardian after all... It could work. It definitely makes more sence than coupling Zelda with Sheik at this point though.
Speaking of Impa, let me ruin the discussion with this picture.

Attachments

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
At first Ridley was one of my most wanted characters for Brawl but by no means top. I was disappointed when he wasn't playable but I got over it.

However this time the anti-Ridley Miiverse crowd have made me a hardened Ridley fan-boy. I want him to be in so much, simply because it'll make them shut up.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Whilst we're sharing cheeky little secrets: I honestly don't give two damns about K. Rool or Ridley.

Either of them could make a great character, but if they both don't make it in to the game it won't affect my opinion of Smash 4 in any way, and there are plenty of other characters I still want far more than either of them.

Haters gonna hate.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Heh... man... even NES pixels look way better than Phillips CD-I.

Here's the Impa of my choice, though.

Imagine her beating the heck out of Ganondorf. :D
This Impa looks like she really could kick Ganondorf's ass. I second that if we have an Impa, we need this one.

Also she throws cows. Everyone ready for PETA discussion part 2?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Same here. You can even see that neither villain is anywhere to be found in my sig.

BUT, I respect them, and if they get in, they're definite welcome additions for me.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Metroid and DKC are definitely under repped. I feel like they are going to get some new slots in some way. I personally think DKC could get 2 with Dixie and K Rool being about at the same point in popularity and support. I think K Rool should get in before Ridley so I agree with that. (Ridley should be in too)

Wait, hang on a sec. People would seriously hate getting characters that were left out due to time constraints?

Yeah, okay.
I mainly think people are afraid that the end product of the game will be incomplete because they know people will buy characters so they will leave some out to get more money. Im gonna be honest, it is a scary thought.

The thing is that Nintendo hasnt really done DLC before. Theyve been hesitant to include it. If you look at companies like EA who literally double the price of their games for DLC, or Square for charging for the ending of FF 13-2, people have a right to be scared of DLC.

I really hope there is some though. Sakurai isnt focused on trying to make money, hes trying to create a good complete game. He may see the game as finished when hes done, or he might not, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will tread lightly in this department. I think they are aware of the damage that DLC can cause and how its probably one of the worst features of the last and tbis console generation. At least, I hope they know.

But who's to say they wont add characters with patch updates? (Its a long shot, but a man can dream) :)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Why not sure why this became an argument in the first place.
DK, Yoshi, and Wario appear prominently in Mario games. They were all born in Mario games (reverse for DK, but Mario took the spotlight there). Link was not, so this can't apply to him.

There is a reason why Mario, DK, Yoshi, and Luigi were grouped together in Smash 64.
There is a reason why Dr. Mario, Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong were grouped together in Melee.
There is a reason why Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and Wario were grouped together in Brawl.
They're all part of the Mario universe, so they can be considered Mario characters.

Zelda / Sheik is always going to be an iconic thing for Smash, I doubt that they'll scrap her for Impa. Especially considering that Link's character model is more or less Twilight Princess with Skyward Sword's palette (I'd like Skyward Sword Zelda to be in, but things seem to be pointing against that). Which would potentially lead to us getting a Zelda and Sheik with Skyward Sword / Primary color palettes too. It would be pretty awkward to see them switch places without a believable way to do so (Time gates do come to mind though).

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
Both last appeared in a Zelda game in 2011, but Sheik is creatable in Scribblenauts, and is already a part of Smash Brothers. What reason is there to replace Sheik with Impa?

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
K Rool should be added before Ridley, I think he has more popularity in Japan than Ridley. Dixie should be added too, K Rool and her have been pretty neck and neck for popularity and support.

Wait, hang on a sec. People would seriously hate getting characters that were left out due to time constraints?

Yeah, okay.
I understand it can be a scary thought. Companies like EA and Square have plagued their games with DLC, whether its doubling the price of the game to get extra maps announced before the game is even released (BF4) or making the consumer pay for the ending of the game (FF13-2)

I think Nintendo is aware of how DLC can be good and bad at the same time,so if they do have it I dont think it will be out of hand. But who's to say they wont add content through patching? I can dream.

I personally want some DLC. If this game is anything like the last one, not all the wanted characters will be included, so it would be nice to have the option to buy the remaining roster that was either cut due to time or added because they are significant.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Metroid and DKC are definitely under repped. I feel like they are going to get some new slots in some way. I personally think DKC could get 2 with Dixie and K Rool being about at the same point in popularity and support. I think K Rool should get in before Ridley so I agree with that. (Ridley should be in too)

I mainly think people are afraid that the end product of the game will be incomplete because they know people will buy characters so they will leave some out to get more money. Im gonna be honest, it is a scary thought.

The thing is that Nintendo hasnt really done DLC before. Theyve been hesitant to include it. If you look at companies like EA who literally double the price of their games for DLC, or Square for charging for the ending of FF 13-2, people have a right to be scared of DLC.

I really hope there is some though. Sakurai isnt focused on trying to make money, hes trying to create a good complete game. He may see the game as finished when hes done, or he might not, but I have a feeling that Nintendo will tread lightly in this department. I think they are aware of the damage that DLC can cause and how its probably one of the worst features of the last and tbis console generation. At least, I hope they know.

But who's to say they wont add characters with patch updates? (Its a long shot, but a man can dream) :)

In recent months though Nintendo has made DLC. Fire Emblem Awakening had extra missions where you could recruit lords from previous games and New Super Mario Bros U has the Luigi add-on. Both of these have been welcome and in no way an insult to those who wished to, or not to, purchase it.

I have every faith if Smash has DLC it'll be worth while but Sakurai's mindset on the matter is healthy. Cram as much in to make the best game he possibly can. I forget what it's like in those early days of Melee and Brawl all too often but the amount of time spent investing in trophies and beating event mode, classic, all-star and playing target smash and homerun, I can't imagine what else the man could possibly fit in but I can't wait to find out.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
K. Rool and Dixie both deserve to be DK reps.
Moveset ideas?
King K. Rool is obviously very versatile with his moveset, but how would Dixie become unique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom