• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still think Isaac is one of the most likely choices for a recent character from a new series. Even IF Golden Sun is not all too popular world wide, the design of Isaac is similar enough to Marth, Ike and Roy, which are all very popular Smash characters. And Isaac would likely attract the same crowd of people.

Say... a 'reverse Marth or Roy' would be something you could call Isaac. A character popular in the West, introduced in Smash to broaden appeal of Golden Sun in Japan.

MegaMan and Villager's movesets also reflect elements that Isaac could provide of. People often said Isaac's moveset would be too complex or too awkward, and due to him having a sword he'd also be nothing more than a 'generic spikey haired RPG swordsman' which is as far from the truth as can be. If MegaMan can have a Mega Buster Forward Smash, Isaac can have a Ragnarok Forward Smash as well! Or a Spire Up Smash. Thought about a Quake or Thorn Down Smash perhaps? Lot's of possibilities.

His music was also AWFULLY misplaced in Brawl, and it was definitely one of those remixes where they put effort into. I could see them using it for this game as well.

Think it's very likely that if Isaac would get into Smash, Golden Sun would create a massive interesst by the Smash fans, and Camelot would more than likely be 'pushed' to make a Golden Sun 4. Which would be awesome. Golden Sun 4 for 3DS would make me buy one INSTANTLY. **** having no cash!

Anyway, I think it's not fair to rule Isaac out immediately. Especially since Villager was already a revisited idea from Brawl, and we have no idea how far Isaac was actually planned as a playable character. I do see him as a character that adds something to the roster that no other can easily replicate. Sure, I have my doubts to. But it would be AWESOME if it would happen.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By the way, am I the only around that doesn't understand why Isaac is so highly regarded?
Because people like his games. Or because people like the design and potential of the character. Or both. Sure, not many people like him due to his personality, but it wouldn't be the first time a relatively bland character was highly regarded. Or the fist time a relatively bland character got in Smash.

And he does develop some character in the games he doesn't play the role of silent protagonist.

It's cause you want Shulk instead.
I want both.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want him mostly cause I like Golden Sun, and his potential. But he's not even really my favorite character from the series. I like Ivan and Felix more than him. And Garet and Jenna are just as awesome I think. He's still the only sensable choice for a Golden Sun character however.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
2 Per Series Challenge.png

For that whole "2 characters per franchise challenge" LOL. Some series (like EarthBound, GAW, ect.) didn't get 2 reps. because I say so. Can't deal with it? Too bad, so sad. >:D

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At least you are getting three games there but why so expensive?
Because Gamestop are getting newly manufactured copies, opening them and charging for them as if they were used games, which they can set the prices for (they have to follow the MSRP of new games). They know people will shell that much out for rare games such as those two, so they're being greedy ***** about it. Shameful. :p

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Because people like his games. Or because people like the design and potential of the character. Or both. Sure, not many people like him due to his personality, but it wouldn't be the first time a relatively bland character was highly regarded. Or the fist time a relatively bland character got in Smash.

And he does develop some character in the games he doesn't play the role of silent protagonist.

I want both.

To add to this.
Don't like.... most Nintendo characters have a similar personality?

Mario... Link... Little Mac... Isaac... Pretty much every silent protagonist, so I don't see why that's an issue.

However look at Pokemon Trainer who at least has a voice, or Mike Jones who DOES speak (dialogue) in his games, and everyone either wants him gone/replaced, or to shut up. Samus is another example, people hated her personality/voice in Othe M, and to an extent Fusion's dialogue.

Everytime a Nintendo character opens his/her mouth, eternally doomed, apparently. :/ But if they don't they lack a personality.

Lose/Lose everywhere. -_- I must be the only one who doesn't mind either side. What I DO mind is when they make them speak just for the heck of listening to their voces, but they don't say anything... meaty. "Hi I'm Daisy!" comes to mind, lol.

EDIT:
This sadly kind of transcends to almost every single Pokemon. I prefer their Game Boy sounds rather than them saying their names, unless they sound cool when they say it.

"Squirtle squirtle!" will forever sound awesome to me, though :p

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
To add to this.

Mario... Link... Little Mac... Isaac... Pretty much every silent protagonist, so I don't see why that's an issue.

However look at Pokemon Trainer who at least has a voice, or Mike Jones who DOES speak (dialogue) in his games, and everyone either wants him gone/replaced, or to shut up. Samus is another example, people hated her personality/voice in Othe M, and to an extent Fusion's dialogue.

Everytime a Nintendo character opens his/her mouth, eternally doomed, apparently. :/ But if they don't they lack a personality.

Lose/Lose everywhere. -_- I must be the only one who doesn't mind either side. What I DO mind is when they make them speak just for the heck of listening to their voces, but they don't say anything... meaty. "Hi I'm Daisy!" comes to mind, lol.

EDIT:
This sadly kind of transcends to almost every single Pokemon. I prefer their Game Boy sounds rather than them saying their names, unless they sound cool when they say it.

Except for Waluigi! WAA

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To add to this.

Exactly, which is why any kind of argument that refers to the lack of personality for a potential newcomer really holds no weight. Sure, personality can effect popularity, but if the character is popular regardless, it's really a non-issue.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised in Nintendo shied away from giving more of their characters voices and more defined personalities because their previous attempts to do so have usually been met quite negatively. But it really was Nintendo's fault, they chose some of the most annoying voices and stock archetypes to base their characters on.

Really Nintendo characters with actual interesting and well developed personalities are the minority, and they usually only occur when someone other than Nintendo themselves is in control, like Sakurai with Uprising. Ofc then it can also end up like Other M...

EDIT:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know why everyone is suddenly talking about personality in a game where it won't matter much. Characteristics would factor into archetypes and style, but character development was never a contribution to how a character plays.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Well I would really like the inclusion of Shulk for varies reasons, both directly related to the character himself and content from Xenoblade Chronicles.
Xenoblade has a wealth of content add to Smash Bros.

A Xenoblade-based stage would be beyond amazing. Plus in HD? I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Don't know why everyone is suddenly talking about personality in a game where it won't matter much. Characteristics would factor into archetypes and style, but character development was never a contribution to how a character plays.
Well some people gotta scrape the bottom of the barrel of why certain characters can't get in somehow.... :rolleyes:

Their really just a part of the qualities of what makes that character. They can contribute to their popularity though.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I asked you to explain their character and personality, not their roles. Villager shows just as much character as Mii does.
The personality and character on both of them is explained through that in their roles - Not every character needs to have personality and character showing through that instead of just their roles. I could elaborate more, but for example Pikachu. He doesn't have much of a personality or a character outside of the anime, but his role is clear.

And I still disagree with Villager - Villager shows emotion when he's been bit by a bee, shows off to neighbors, shows himself around despite being silent. Mii is essentially a blank party character which as I said, produces the most roles in a 3ds download game

@N30N: If there is a fourth game under development (Which I've made sense of) It's likely that Sakurai has access to seeing it along with any of the other production staff. They know of stuff really early. Not that they'll count it.

And no, GS doesn't need to have the sales of Animal Crossing. Most series don't. Breaking at least even is something good (Which I'm not even sure if Pikmin 3 did yet tbh).

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Xenoblade has a wealth of content add to Smash Bros.

A Xenoblade-based stage would be beyond amazing. Plus in HD? I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.
A Halberd-type stage where the stage platform flies around the Bionis and Mechonis while they fight...
Or a similar moving stage set in the Eryth Sea at night with the aurora and shooting stars.

----

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@N30N: If there is a fourth game under development (Which I've made sense of) It's likely that Sakurai has access to seeing it along with any of the other production staff. They know of stuff really early. Not that they'll count it.
That's true, but it depends on when it would enter development. Or I suppose, when the plan to develop it became finalized. If that happened after Sakurai has already decided the roster, it wouldn't effect his decision on how to implement the GS series, at least from a playable character perspective. Sure Sakurai knows about stuff early, but the plans to make the game would still have to coincide with when he's developing the roster, if it happened afterwards, there's no guarantee Sakurai would shift anything to accommodate a series such as GS, especially if he wasn't planning to include a character from it previously.

Camelot seems like the type of developer that probably works on one game at a time, just judging by their recent output and their staff numbers. Sure, they might start developing the next game on the tail end of the previous one, but I'd be surprised if the focus wasn't almost solely on Mario Golf, or at least it was last year, during the time period of roster creation. Ofc they might inform Sakurai if they actually had concrete future plans to make a GS, but that's purely a hypothetical situation for all we know, and not a particularly likely one in the current timeframe.

And no, GS doesn't need to have the sales of Animal Crossing. Most series don't. Breaking at least even is something good (Which I'm not even sure if Pikmin 3 did yet tbh).
No, ofc it doesn't, series already in Smash don't have the sales of AC, I'm just saying a comparison between the two isn't that accurate, as they really are in different leagues, even if they have a similar amount of games.

And if Pikmin 3 hasn't broken even yet, I blame that solely on the Wii U. If it had a larger install base the game definitely would've by now.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't have anything else to say to the rest other than "I agree" but

Camelot seems like the type of developer that probably works on one game at a time, just judging by their recent output and their staff numbers..
lol

i was gonna type that a bunch of times but only once worked. All three Shining Force games of Shining Force 3 were about 50% of what they worked on at one time, and each one of those discs have around as much as each Golden Sun game.

You're getting "Camelot" confused with "Mistwalker" and "Retro Studios"; they pull this all the time lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Shining Force games were a long time ago. The studio has changed both its numbers and its quality of output since then. Procedure changes all the time, just because at one point they were a lot more prolific in their ability to develop multiple games at once doesn't mean they always will have the same development practices. Considering recently they've only put out a title every two or three years, and considering their staff number rests under 50 at this point, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to presume they likely focus on one game at a time with any possible overlap occurring when the majority of the staff are likely done their role in developing a game and can move on to the next.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
They have more money now, for a start. A lot more than the Shining Force era It's not too bizarre to say pre-production exists for one title while they're working for another. Granted, that's more common for the film industry.

Also, for a fun-fact for you, Rare was half the size and they were always working on two titles. Zing. I can go on, but I feel the point has been made across

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
But...THE BABY.

Why don't you want to play as The Baby?

----

In other words, Metroids are ALIENS. :awesome:

Actually if we could play as some enemies or ATs that would be fun, but I'd rather play as the Baby in another game other than Smash.

though I admit the idea of playing as an alien that sucks the life out people sounds fun. XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
New discussion: What if the roster was based off Assist Trophy characters?

Then I'd be able to play as Little Mac, Saki Amamiya, and Isaac, which is more than Brawl accomplished for me. :p

(Unless I count PT's 3 Pokemon, in that case Brawl wins because of them and Sonic)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
And I still disagree with Villager - Villager shows emotion when he's been bit by a bee, shows off to neighbors, shows himself around despite being silent. Mii is essentially a blank party character which as I said, produces the most roles in a 3ds download game
Well, that's some bias. Miis show emotion when they do stuff ALL THE TIME. They do stuff by themselves too and even have their own voice, so what are you talking about? And you can't just say Mii is less of a character because of what he does. Mii is a racer, pilot, athlete, and adventurer. Villager is a housekeeper, fisher, gardener etc. Who are you to decide which one's role defines more character.

Carl is fat and likes to eat.

Carl confirmed to replace Kirby. :awesome:
Somebody make a Carl Support Thread please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom