• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I thought about something recently. The way people pull for certain characters, hate others, deem certain ones as retro or outdated, prefer certain generations of pokemon or have limited knowledge of the history of certain franchises made me consider something:

HOW OLD WERE YOU IN 1999?

Was Smash Bros. always an established part of the video game world over your lifetime or were you one of those proud people who stumbled upon to the work of genius when it was new and unexplored territory? Can you only say that Melee was your first experience with Smash? Or Brawl even? The games are something we all share, but the way they became a part of our lives is different for each of us. I think this really sheds light on how each of us make roster predictions and how others appreciate/ argue with our choices. I think it also makes everyone's opinion valid.
You had me until the end. I don't think everyone's opinions are valid when they're slandering Earthbound as being "gay and unimportant" or storming the forums with the idea that their one-off favorite character is going to be in Smash Bros. and anyone who disagrees is otherwise a fool.

Don't any of you dare tell me you can't think of examples like those that haven't happened yet.

Gune

Smash Lord
You had me until the end. I don't think everyone's opinions are valid when they're slandering Earthbound as being "gay and unimportant" or storming the forums with the idea that their one-off favorite character is going to be in Smash Bros. and anyone who disagrees is otherwise a fool.

Don't any of you dare tell me you can't think of examples like those that haven't happened yet.
Didnt that happen like last week?

Espio264

Smash Ace

You're right. I meant more that everyone's opinion on inclusion or exclusion of characters is valid. That doesn't extend to the asshats who see don't even consider other's opinions and assert their bias as fact. Everyone who wants to discuss possibilities in an intelligent manner has a valid opinion.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
HOW OLD WERE YOU IN 1999?
Old enough to know the characters in Smash 64 before Smash 64, young enough to have unrealistic expectations for Melee.

But really, it is more a matter of general knowledge of worldwide popularity trends and Sakurai's history and mentality in regards to Smash then when you actually started following. If you do your research, you don't even have to have played a Smash game to have decent predictions for this one (that'd be kinda dumb though). Some people who have been with it since the beginning still wonder why characters like Lucas or ROB were chosen, or think Ike is definitely going to be replaced by Chrom because they think Roy was replaced by Ike, because they don't know better. Just by looking at the Smash games, without external knowledge of Japanese popularity, Nintendo's history, or the Forbidden 7 and stuff, they'd be reasonable (even if uneducated) questions and assumptions to have. However people that might've started with Brawl or even are starting now, as long as they actually bother to go more in depth to learn about Smash, will see that whole pretense is misguided and will understand why Sakurai has made the decisions he has.

So it's a question of how much you bother learning about Smash, not when you joined the fanbase.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Old enough to know the characters in Smash 64 before Smash 64, young enough to have unrealistic expectations for Melee.

But really, it is more a matter of general knowledge of worldwide popularity trends and Sakurai's history and mentality in regards to Smash then when you actually started following. If you do your research, you don't even have to have played a Smash game to have decent predictions for this one (that'd be kinda dumb though). Some people who have been with it since the beginning still wonder why characters like Lucas or ROB were chosen, or think Ike is definitely going to be replaced by Chrom because they think Roy was replaced by Ike, because they don't know better. Just by looking at the Smash games, without external knowledge of Japanese popularity, Nintendo's history, or the Forbidden 7 and stuff, they'd be reasonable (even if uneducated) questions and assumptions to have. However people that might've started with Brawl or even are starting now, as long as they actually bother to go more in depth to learn about Smash, will see that whole pretense is misguided and will understand why Sakurai has made the decisions he has.

So it's a question of how much you bother learning about Smash, not when you joined the fanbase.

Yeah. I have no response. You win sir.

It was mainly my flowery way of saying to some of the ten year olds in this thread that the rest of us understood the beauty of Smash Bros. long before their parents had a night of passion that they would later regret.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I can't wait to see Issac's silhouette during the "Challenger Approaching" sequence and then hear this when the battle starts :colorful::

Espio264

Smash Ace
Goddammit, N30N is making me have memories. I remember wanting Wolf back in Melee and a second Mother rep. Both actually happened!

Any of you have that with MElee or even 64?
I remember drawing pictures of roster additions after 64. I think I had toad and sonic (and at that time I thought Bomberman was a Nintendo owned franchise) and I think probably a few extra Pokemon. Their all somewhere in a box halfway down the east coast right now though.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Goddammit, N30N is making me have memories. I remember wanting Wolf back in Melee and a second Mother rep. Both actually happened!
That happened for Diddy, Wolf, Wario, King Dedede, and Olimar for me :)

I remember drawing pictures of roster additions after 64. I think I had toad and sonic (and at that time I thought Bomberman was a Nintendo owned franchise) and I think probably a few extra Pokemon. Their all somewhere in a box halfway down the east coast right now though.
I used to use the row of boxes on an actual cardboard box to make my roster :)

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It was mainly my flowery way of saying to some of the ten year olds in this thread that the rest of us understood the beauty of Smash Bros. long before their parents had a night of passion that they would later regret.
Yeah... I remember the good old days before people started hating on Sakurai for Brawl... back when you'd get thoroughly laughed at and dismissed for even suggesting third-parties, and most painfully, when Rare characters actually had a chance at inclusion... (that one was a LONG time ago).

I can't wait to see Issac's silhouette during the "Challenger Approaching" sequence and then hear this when the battle starts :colorful::
You and me both. I'd probably fall out of my chair. :grin:

Any of you have that with MElee or even 64?
The majority of characters I've ever really hoped for have never actually made it in. How saddening. The only one I actually really really wanted that I finally got was Diddy. And Sonic I guess, but I never actually seriously expected him until Brawl. And then I was just one voice in a massive crowd. :laugh:

Now we just need Isaac, yeah? :awesome:;)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I remember expecting Ridley in Melee. And then being extremely confused when I saw instead Prince Marth and Prince Roy and Mr. Game and Watch. I seriously wondered who the f*** were these people ...

I think personally what I enjoy about Smash the most is that since the first one, I loved it due to being a fest with all my favorite Nintendo characters, and everytime a new character I had never known or heard of just exposes me to a series of games I had never before heard of or considered playing.
To this day it's still my goal to play all games represented in Smash Bros. Recently with Earthbound coming on VC, I've gotten closer. Only franchises I haven't played that are represented in Smash in playable form are Gyromite, Metal Gear Solid, and now Wii Fit.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I remember making one after Melee, but before Brawl was announced that had the Starmen from Earthbound on it. I then knew, and still know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about them. I just thought they looked cool and needed to add reps from existing series. Any of you wanna tell me why this might have been a good idea, or possibly why I'm an idiot?

- I also added a generic Zora warrior. Seemed like a good idea at the time, along with Raichu and Slippy.

D

Deleted member

I honestly don't see Paper Mario happening. Toon Link was enough and I don't believe he's returning because of the train stage. Toad seems like a more reasonable rep. Appears a lot in Mario games whether as a supporting role or just there. His moveset could be inspired off games like SMB2 or NSMBWii.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
To this day it's still my goal to play all games represented in Smash Bros. Recently with Earthbound coming on VC, I've gotten closer. Only franchises I haven't played that are represented in Smash in playable form are Gyromite, Metal Gear Solid, and now Wii Fit.
Just Gyromite and Metal Gear Solid for me, unless we're talking about having beaten a game from those series, in which case you can add F-Zero, Wii Fit, and Game & Watch to that list.

Although one does not simply beat a Game & Watch game.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I can proudly say that I was one of the few people pre-Brawl who actually wanted Pokemon Trainer in. :p

Granted, I pictured he'd actually be called Red, and for that matter I envisioned he'd have a very different style of fighting (being able to have Pokemon fight for him but still being on the battlefield himself - kind of like Olimar except... not so much) but I take that to be a small victory for me considering how before his reveal, the mere mention of any human Pokemon character would make you a Smash outcast, as if you were suggesting Naruto or Scrooge McDuck.

Espio264

Smash Ace
I can proudly say that I was one of the few people pre-Brawl who actually wanted Pokemon Trainer in. :p

Granted, I pictured he'd actually be called Red, and for that matter I envisioned he'd have a very different style of fighting (being able to have Pokemon fight for him but still being on the battlefield himself - kind of like Olimar except... not so much) but I take that to be a small victory for me considering how before his reveal, the mere mention of any human Pokemon character would make you a Smash outcast, as if you were suggesting Naruto or Scrooge McDuck.
Do you think this "Pokemon, The Origin" will have any bearing on PT/ Red's portrayal in SSB4?

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of "Good Times" back when I was eightish and about a month of being hooked on Brawl. I wasn't very good, played with items xD, and I wasn't knowledgeable about the series. (an eight year old kid shouldn't be)

So this morning I found the video while digging through files.

Enjoy, you may even get a few chuckles (especially the third party.)

Read this after watching the video:
I accually feel pretty good about being one of the first supporters of Waddle Dee and Pac-Man even before the now Bandana Dee craze and the confirmation of Namco helping with Smash. They were just random picks, that back then didn't make sense but now do o.O
Re-posted so more people can see it, I always get the page cut off :/

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

My second and more realistic approach at a roster prediction.
Unlike everyone else in the entirety of the Smash Bros Fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley didn't make it and we got a Bounty Hunter :urg:

This also makes for a new subject, should we expect Toon Zelda this time around or just assume Sakurai was taking it too far last time? Should Toon Zelda be our 5th Zelda rep just because Mario & Pokemon have one? Will Sakurai add Toon Zelda just for the sake of having an equal amount to Mario & Pokemon?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you think this "Pokemon, The Origin" will have any bearing on PT/ Red's portrayal in SSB4?
After seeing it I decided to rename Pkmn Trainer to "Red". I'm gonna post a visual update to my roster onec Ariand/AEM gets back from Summer Camp.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Unlike everyone else in the entirety of the Smash Bros Fanbase. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley didn't make it and we got a Bounty Hunter :urg:

This also makes for a new subject, should we expect Toon Zelda this time around or just assume Sakurai was taking it too far last time? Should Toon Zelda be our 5th Zelda rep just because Mario & Pokemon have one? Will Sakurai add Toon Zelda just for the sake of having an equal amount to Mario & Pokemon?
From the start, Mario and Pokemon had 2 reps. No one else.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
That's my point, usually those end up being semi-clones and that's not a bad thing.

She does. But, a semi-clone shares SOME moves, Dixie wouldn't be a 100% clone of Diddy.

What should be is an opinion and does not always affect what will be. Agreed King K. Rool should be in SSB4 over Dixie, but the more likely situation would be Dixie.
Thank you for the cookie brother.
But yeah i totally see what you're saying, she's complete semiclone material. But just look at it like this:
They are the pretty much exact same character. Like you can take Diddy Kong and photoshop him and he'll look exactly like her. The only thing that COULD differentiate her moveset is her hair. And two characters that similar have never been playable in smash in two different character slots. Same shape, size, stature, tail. They'd be like how mario and luigi were in smash 64, except the same size. I just don't see that as something he'd do. But adding her as a Diddy tag team, I totally see. Having those small differences would be fine then because she doesn't take up a whole character slot.

K. Rool doesn't have any of these problems, and besides his lack of appearance lately he's still the main antagonist of the majority of the series. Which imo, (doesn't matter) bodes better than being the sidekick's sidekick.

On a side note, I think if the Pokemon: the Origin show ever comes on netflix in english, it'll be the worst thing since discovering Breaking Bad for me.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
Soooooooo...what NEW Zelda character do want most in Smash 4
  • Vaati
  • Tingle
  • Impa
  • Toon Zelda/Tetra
  • Ghirahim
  • Groose :troll:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
honestly diddy isn't THAT interesting of a character with his moveset anyways; I know I'm gonna get ragged on for it, but if you mix a mechanic like the original DKC's with advantages for having one of them lead, it'd be interesting.

Unfortunately I don't think it'll happen even if that WAS the plan in Brawl anyways but hey I've been wrong before.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Skyward Sword Zelda.
I'd bang her. Add Daroach to it and it'd be pretty sexy. And Wolf filming it, cause he's so black.

Also honestly, while Mario can have one, screw getting a new Zelda rep. Who would we add that isn't one shot? I guess Zelda/Tetra I don't mind that much if they make her interesting but when you look at it... that's it. And that could be invalid anyways with ALBW Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom