• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
This is my biggest hype at the moment.
Surpassing anything smash-related since Mega Man.

I REALLY hoped this was a complete anime based on Red.

Definitely means he's not "irrelevant" and one more point for Red.

Is it weird that I'm more hyped at THIS one than the Newtwo VS Genesect movie?

Wonder if it means we'll be seeing (manga spoiler ahead)
Team Rocket Koga and Sabrina as well.
I don't know about you, but what got me hyped was this:

Sadly, it was too short and didn't feature too many things from Black and White/B&W2, but it was cool nonetheless to finally have Team Plasma and N appear in the anime. And with Ghetsis and Colress at that!

Gah, I really want N with Zekrom and Reshiram and possibly Zoroark as a fighter in Smash Bros.
At least bring in N's Castle as a stage...

Blue's raticate dies, spoiler.
In this context, wouldn't his name be "Green"?

Oh, and thanks for the spoiler, ****face. :c:c:c
First I'm spoiled about Red beating the Pokemon League at the end of the game, and now this.

---

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ooh now here's something to talk about. Gastly would be neat - it'd be like Kirby but a lot more floating around, easy to recover and easy to dodge attacks, but if he gets caught he's basically ****ed

Let's talk about Pokemon characters that are ridiculous. And let's try talking about each other's ridiculous choices while posting new ones I've got a start

Alakazam is the most ridiculous Pokemon choice you could think of? Or is this a Pokemon you'd actually want to play whilst knowing he has no chance of getting in?
Either way: hell, I'd main him. His Pokemon line is my favourite ever, and about the only one I have to have in my squadron each gen.

I think Groose already won this game though elsewhere with Wobbuffet being his suggestion. That Pokemon would be better off as a weapon than a playable(or a Pokeball as he is currently). I'd love to pick that thing up and swing it like the home run bat.

The new Pokemon anime movie thing looks pretty cool. I guess Red is going to struggle on the first two gyms a lot. Erika's going to be a piece of cake though.
I wonder what else Red will have?

Hopefully not another bloody Pikachu.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Once again. Another effing update of my roster from yours truly.

Scissorfied characters; Jigglypuff, Falco, Toon Link, Snake, Lucario.
Yes you see that right. I decided to put in Victini instead of keeping Lucario. Don't like it? Well IDGAF.
4 RETRO REPS!? ARE YOU FLIPPING INSANE!? Actually yes, yes I am. But really retro > new shiz.
OH GOD IT'S TINGLE! HIDE YO CHILDREDN< HIDE YO WIVES< RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

Come at me my puppets. Dance puppets dance.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Dude why do you always get so defensive whenever talking about cuts? Chill.

I don't really give much of a hoo about which characters are going to get cut even if it's my main since I decided I'm going to main Villager from here on once I get my hands on the games anyway. (Or if any other cooler newcomer I'm more interested in comes along or if Mewtwo or Toon Link come back after all.)

Whatever happens, happens I say. :/

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Blaziken and Lucario shown off on Wii U hardware (I believe). I guess that means Blaziken and Lucario are playable in Smash. Right guys? Right guys? Just like how Jigglypuff being Fairy-type means he's playable and Megaevolution means Mewtwo is playable? :troll:
That's for sure Wii U hardware

The question is what does this mean: A Wii U pokemon game?

thirdkoopa has yet to explain how Mii has less character and personality than Villager or Wii Fit Trainer or several other characters i could name.
Absolutely. (Even though it won't matter anyways)

Villager is a unique show of a character because in his game (Or her's) even not as the mayor you go for trying to pay of all your debt as the villager to Tom Nook and make the town a better place.

I don't know Wii Fit Trainer as much, but it has a pose you recognize, and something you do recognized. He/she is doing fitness with you and is helping you do fitness. Not that hard.

Mii's in most games I've seen have done the same thing over and over again. I've played most of the games too like most series here. You know what game they were the most unique in? The find mii like stuff I've been playing on my 3DS. I **** you not.

I did that already please shut up

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Yes you see that right. I decided to put in Victini instead of keeping Lucario. Don't like it? Well IDGAF.
4 RETRO REPS!? ARE YOU FLIPPING INSANE!? Actually yes, yes I am. But really retro > new shiz.

You put in Tamagon. Props. But you also cut Toon Link. That's all I got.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't know about you, but what got me hyped was this:

Sadly, it was too short and didn't feature too many things from Black and White/B&W2, but it was cool nonetheless to finally have Team Plasma and N appear in the anime. And with Ghetsis and Colress at that!

Gah, I really want N with Zekrom and Reshiram and possibly Zoroark as a fighter in Smash Bros.
At least bring in N's Castle as a stage...

In this context, wouldn't his name be "Green"?

Oh, and thanks for the spoiler, ****face. :c:c:c
First I'm spoiled about Red beating the Pokemon League at the end of the game, and now this.

---
He is gonna be blue for us americans :D

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

blah blah blah I'm doling this every time

-Vicinti instead of Lucario is pointless, and boring
-Tiki instead of... really any FE lord is pointless. At least she's hot.
-Four retro's? Well I said I'd put in three so you're good there. Plus we gotta make up for Brawl amirite
-Tingle instead of Toon Link is just flat-out redundant

7.7/10 i've been too high with roster scores lately

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Here's an exercise I thought might be worth trying.

Take the current Smash 4 roster and add ONLY ONE REP per series to try and make a reasonable sized roster. Tingle, Wario, Yoshi and Paper Mario rep their own series here. If Luigi hadn't been revealed to be a Mario rep I was going to count him as Luigi's Mansion rep. Unfortunately Bowser kind of ***** it up, so thanks for that Koopa King.

See what you come up with; you DON'T have to use the protagonists as I have (admittedly rather boringly) chose to do, but it'd be interesting to see which other series you guys think deserve reps.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team

Take the current Smash 4 roster and add ONLY ONE REP per series to try and make a reasonable sized roster. Tingle, Wario, Yoshi and Paper Mario rep their own series here. If Luigi hadn't been revealed to be a Mario rep I was going to count him as Luigi's Mansion rep. Unfortunately Bowser kind of ***** it up, so thanks for that Koopa King.

See what you come up with; you DON'T have to use the protagonists as I have (admittedly rather boringly) chose to do, but it'd be interesting to see which other series you guys think deserve reps.
Honestly for the most part, it's a good roster. If we got some of the supporters back (Lucas, Wolf, etc) I'd be more than okay with something like this looking like the roster.

lol mallo

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Yesh!!!

I could totally dig a whole roster full of JUST the main characters.
See how the possibilities open up?

Your roster is perfect. I'd probably change just two. Paper Mario for a Pilotwings 64 character, and Mallo for Balloon Fighter or Alice. (But this is just me being greedy, lol)

And IF I had to change Bowser, it'd be for.. Fighter Hayabusa, Captain Rainbow, Sukapon or Mach Rider. Take your pic. :D

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yesh!!!

I could totally dig a whole roster full of JUST the main characters.
See how the possibilities open up?

Your roster is perfect. I'd probably change just two. Paper Mario for a Pilotwings 64 character, and Mallo for Balloon Fighter or Alice. (But this is just me being greedy, lol)
To be honest; I'd probably be fine with those alterations. I haven't even played Mallo's game, and Dillon does a good enough job repping the e-shop alone anyway.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Okay, I tried this, but also with the added condition of not adding anyone that wouldn't be on my normal roster. :p And it still came out to be the same number of slots as Brawl! :laugh:

The bottom red block are the characters removed from my roster under these conditions.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Dude why do you always get so defensive whenever talking about cuts? Chill.

I don't really give much of a hoo about which characters are going to get cut even if it's my main since I decided I'm going to main Villager from here on once I get my hands on the games anyway. (Or if any other cooler newcomer I'm more interested in comes along or if Mewtwo or Toon Link come back after all.)

Whatever happens, happens I say. :/
Who are you talking to? o.O

blah blah blah I'm doling this every time

-Vicinti instead of Lucario is pointless, and boring
-Tiki instead of... really any FE lord is pointless. At least she's hot.
-Four retro's? Well I said I'd put in three so you're good there. Plus we gotta make up for Brawl amirite
-Tingle instead of Toon Link is just flat-out redundant

7.7/10 i've been too high with roster scores lately
-
In all seriousnes though. Victini is just an experiment of mine. Wiil probably end up putting Jiggs back in and take out Lucas again, eventually. I'm just doing expirements with the Poke roster. :L
- instead of any FE lord? That is highly debatable as allot of the lords just aren't as relevant anymore. Tiki has at least been playable in 5 games and played a major role in 4 of those 5 games and a decently important role in the 5th one. She is also one of the more uniques choices for a FE rep. Ofc this doesn't mean she is all that likely, but I am also going for a unique roster as this is Sakurai we are talking about and generally I would say the unique looking rosters are closer then the "realistic" rosters almost everyone puts up. Also dragon.
- Honestly I just can't think of any newer franchises who I believe deserve to get into Smash other then GS and the RPG trio on the Wii, and I don't find any of those likely at all. So I fall onto retros instead since there are so many potential retro reps out there.
- Tingle was just for fun really, I'll probably end up taking him out for someone else next go around. However whether it is going to be a 3rd part of 1st part character remains to be seen. :L

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There's no precedent for an "eShop rep" in the first place. Sakurai has never made the distinction of a character included to represent a specific system or feature on a system (only time periods at the most), so really using "eShop rep" as reasoning to justify unlikely characters like Dillon or Mallo is as arbitrary as... an "RPG rep" to justify Isaac or Shulk, or a "female/villain rep". It's not like the eShop needs to be represented through a character anyway, Sakurai obviously represents stuff through stages, ATs, etc.

That said, a Pushmo stage has a somewhat decent chance of happening I'd say. But Sakurai doesn't include characters to represent the system they're on (with the sole possible exception of G&W), he includes them because they merit inclusion in his mind, which I doubt any of the eShop characters do at this point.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Who are you talking to? o.O
Who knows....

If you were just lulzing around then forget what I said.

There's no precedent for an "eShop rep" in the first place. Sakurai has never made the distinction of a character included to represent a specific system or feature on a system (only time periods at the most), so really using "eShop rep" as reasoning to justify unlikely characters like Dillon or Mallo is as arbitrary as... an "RPG rep" to justify Isaac or Shulk, or a "female/villain rep". It's not like the eShop needs to be represented through a character anyway, Sakurai obviously represents stuff through stages, ATs, etc.

That said, a Pushmo stage has a somewhat decent chance of happening I'd say. But Sakurai doesn't include characters to represent the system they're on (with the sole possible exception of G&W), he includes them because they merit inclusion in his mind, which I doubt any of the eShop characters do at this point.
Yeah I'm not too fond with the whole "this rep" or "that rep" either.

If Sakurai feels that both Mallo and Dillon warrant inclusion he will add them both in their own rights and not in order to fill a certain imaginary niche that the fans came up with.

We don't know if we will get a character from the eShop games at all, they might as well turn out as an assist trophy but yeah....

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Honestly I just can't think of any newer franchises who I believe deserve to get into Smash other then GS and the RPG trio on the Wii, and I don't find any of those likely at all. So I fall onto retros instead since there are so many potential retro reps out there.
Golden Sun doesn't seem likely to you? Is there a reason for that when Isaac already has an Assist Trophy, a song in Brawl, and vast amounts of support?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No Isaac? Oh right that makes it a six

also opo if you add in the extra chars yours is good
The extra ones on the bottom are on my roster. :laugh:

The post was just meant to be using YoshiandToad's hypothetical criteria of "one other character for each series other than the ones already confirmed" thing.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Golden Sun doesn't seem likely to you? Is there a reason for that when Isaac already has an Assist Trophy, a song in Brawl, and vast amounts of support?
In my personal opinion assist trophy status means jack squat since by that logic Devil would be more likely then Tamagon, just an example btw. Same goes for having a song, means jack squat to me and doesn't help support anything. To me it those 2 things are the same as stages, just because a stage is there doesn't mean a character of that stage will be there and people point this out all the time to someone who says it does mean something. The only thing that means something there is that he is popular and while this a benefit, past endicates it isn't always enough. Id I'm not mistaken he had allot of support in Brawl to and I feel that if he were to get in as a character it would have been then, I just think he might have missed his chance so to speak. And most importantly of all it is a gut feeling I have.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
In my personal opinion assist trophy status means jack squat since by that logic Devil would be more likely then Tamagon, just an example btw. Same goes for having a song, means jack squat to me and doesn't help support anything. To me it those 2 things are the same as stages, just because a stage is there doesn't mean a character of that stage will be there and people point this out all the time to someone who says it does mean something. The only thing that means something there is that he is popular and while this a benefit, past endicates it isn't always enough. Id I'm not mistaken he had allot of support in Brawl to and I feel that if he were to get in as a character it would have been then, I just think he might have missed his chance so to speak. And most importantly of all it is a gut feeling I have.
"He had a presence in Brawl, which doesn't help him get in over Tiki. My gut says so."

Alrighty then.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm also having doubts about the inclusion of Isaac, but maybe it's because of Brawl and the aftermath giving me a negative prospective on the situation at hand. Then again having doubts isn't new territory, doubts are present for pretty much every character due to varies reasons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Anyways, this shows the trainer riding Rhyhorn, showing you can ride other Pokemon, I got this pic on Serebii, as the pokemon gameshow provide more updates for today. Plus, this was part of demo.

Also you can use the mega evolution whenever you want in battle, as long as the ones who can Mega-evolve hold the mega stone.

OH ****!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm also having doubts about the inclusion of Isaac, but maybe it's because of Brawl and the aftermath giving me a negative prospective on the situation at hand. Then again having doubts isn't new territory, doubts are present for pretty much every character due to varies reasons.
This.

Though here's the thing, to this day with the lease over, we don't know fully what Sakurai nor the producers were thinking of Isaac. If they scaled Isaac all the way to 3D and Isaac had a new game by then, that certainly means something happened by then. That's another thing: Villager only had two games (I think so) during Brawl but now has Four. Golden Sun had two but will now have four most likely soon unless Camelot spends a ton on Mario Golf and goes bankrupt. Zing. (And even then, Shining Force 3 proves why they won't. Dark Dawn at least broke even which is good in triple A)

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman

Here is my only two per series roster. Any series not shown in my mind doesn't deserve more than one rep. (ex. Olimar, Little Mac, Villager, ect.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would trade Black Knight for Ike in a heartbeart. Also, no Sheik, and yes Ganondorf. Would also throw out Samurai Goroh and Kamek, probably for Luigi / Peach and Mewtwo. And swap Ness for Lucas, replacing Masked Man for Isaac. Then, we'd probably have an ageeable roster. Even though it exeeds the 2 per series thing :rolleyes:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This.

Though here's the thing, to this day with the lease over, we don't know fully what Sakurai nor the producers were thinking of Isaac. If they scaled Isaac all the way to 3D and Isaac had a new game by then, that certainly means something happened by then. That's another thing: Villager only had two games (I think so) during Brawl but now has Four. Golden Sun had two but will now have four most likely soon unless Camelot spends a ton on Mario Golf and goes bankrupt. Zing. (And even then, Shining Force 3 proves why they won't. Dark Dawn at least broke even which is good in triple A)
To be fair, the scale of reception between AC and GS is quite different. If GS games were received the same way AC games are, Isaac would probably be a shoo-in.

And Sakurai isn't going to treat GS as a series with four games until they actually get a fourth one. A fourth GS being in development at this point in time seems unlikely, but if it was it'd be in early early stages, and likely wouldn't have existed last year when Sakurai was deciding the roster. Also, Camelot won't go bankrupt working on Nintendo games, as Nintendo likely funds the development of them.

But yeah, there are doubts present for all characters pretty much (or most at least). I have doubts about Isaac, as should most people. But I still think he has a fair shot, and I wouldn't be surprised at the outcome either way. Though one would definitely make me more happier than the other. ;)

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
Would trade Black Knight for Ike in a heartbeart. Also, no Sheik, and yes Ganondorf. Would also throw out Samurai Goroh and Kamek, probably for Luigi / Peach and Mewtwo. And swap Ness for Lucas, replacing Masked Man for Isaac. Then, we'd probably have an ageeable roster. Even though it exeeds the 2 per series thing :rolleyes:
I think Zelda/Sheik is more important to the Zelda franchise. Ganon would be there in a heartbeat if it was a hero/villain roster, but this is any two per series.
Luigi and Peach are both Mario, Mario and Bowser are the two I picked.
I think Red and his three Pokemon are more iconic than Mewtwo. (Plus three for the price of one.)
I was iffy if F-Zero and Yoshi needed a second, I just threw them in their for fun.
I wanted a Mother hero and villain, I think Lucas uses more PK moves making him more unique.
Golden Sun doesn't warrant two slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom