• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Miis aren't any more generic than Villager or Wii Fit Trainer, if anything they are less generic because you can design them before hand. I guess Mario would be generic because every one who plays as Mario would look the same.

Miis obviously have their own unique features, so what the **** are we talking about here?

Espio264

Smash Ace
I like you keep posting you're actually smart
Why thank you sir. I think most of us are smart and have genuinely good ideas, it just all gets swept away under bias and ego. I desperately wanna play as Gengar and Bomberman and Slippy freakin' Toad, but I'm not gonna jam my opinions down your throat.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I could get on board with Mii's. I could tolerate Cloud from Final Fantasy. I could even stomach Goku in Smash (though only barely) because they're at least unique. That being said, despite all of the crap I'd willingly put up with for a game I love, I can honestly say Mii's as costumes with other characters movesets would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to the franchise. Not only would it be implementing a character who has no unique features, but it'd actively detract from the unique features of other characters. It'd be Mario Kart all over again. You race your friend? They choose Mii. You go online? 7 of the 11 other racers have Mii heads. If the Mii can do everything the other characters can do, it's basically a giant middle finger to the other characters. After all, to the *ahem* 'filthy casuals', why would they bother choosing Samus when they can be Trayvon Martin with Samus's moves instead and fight against Stalin with Link's moveset? It just defeats the purpose... and that's before going into how immensely difficult it'd be to make one model that could handle every characters animations - putting that kind of Mii functionality in would probably take 5 or 6 newcomers' worth of development time.

Here's an idea: how about the Mii's replace the Fighting Wireframes/Alloys?
B-b-b-but Hitler and Obama in dresses. D:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Why thank you sir. I think most of us are smart and have genuinely good ideas, it just all gets swept away under bias and ego. I desperately wanna play as Gengar and Bomberman and Slippy freakin' Toad, but I'm not gonna jam my opinions down your throat.
*Implies that logic contradicting your preference is bias and compares Mii to Gengar*

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh gosh I don't know it anymore, first we talk about their faces now their movesets copying other characters? I should have followed KingofPhantoms advice. Wait for me KingofPhantoms!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I was

It appears you weren't paying attention either...
I was. It just bored me.
Hardly, but it depends on what you're talking about here.

abilities
I'll give you that

characteristics + personality.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahahahahahahahaha
ahahahahaa

How can you use the lack of Miis in Brawl as an excuse when it began development before the Wii was released and Miis did not appear in any games or have any abilities??? I thought that was kind of an obvious reason why they were not included. I said this earlier. :facepalm:
And there are other characters who didn't either. I could list for you, if you want, but it's pointless.

Besides, you missed the part where I found out the real reason. Zing.

If your friend wants to make a Mii before playing and you want to play just tell him to go **** himself. This is like saying we shouldn't add Mario & Luigi in the same game because your friend can't decide which one he wants to play as. It's not Sakurai's fault if you have a stupid friend.
goddammit I want to sig the first sentence and I might actually do so

Regardless, that last line was a joke. =/

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I could get on board with Mii's. I could tolerate Cloud from Final Fantasy. I could even stomach Goku in Smash (though only barely) because they're at least unique. That being said, despite all of the crap I'd willingly put up with for a game I love, I can honestly say Mii's as costumes with other characters movesets would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to the franchise. Not only would it be implementing a character who has no unique features, but it'd actively detract from the unique features of other characters. It'd be Mario Kart all over again. You race your friend? They choose Mii. You go online? 7 of the 11 other racers have Mii heads. If the Mii can do everything the other characters can do, it's basically a giant middle finger to the other characters. After all, to the *ahem* 'filthy casuals', why would they bother choosing Samus when they can be Trayvon Martin with Samus's moves instead and fight against Stalin with Link's moveset? It just defeats the purpose... and that's before going into how immensely difficult it'd be to make one model that could handle every characters animations - putting that kind of Mii functionality in would probably take 5 or 6 newcomers' worth of development time.

Here's an idea: how about the Mii's replace the Fighting Wireframes/Alloys?
That is actually really smart, and at the end, that's actually a really good idea, they could also be made of all the Miis you've already made like they did in Wii Sports baseball.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Miis aren't any more generic than Villager or Wii Fit Trainer, if anything they are less generic because you can design them before hand. I guess Mario would be generic because every one who plays as Mario would look the same.

Miis obviously have their own unique features, so what the **** are we talking about here?
EXACTLY. By making them a playable character, you're taking away what makes them unique. In baseball I can hit better than my friend John. In boxing John is better than me. We both have bowled a 200 and somethng best game, but we did it all based on our own abilities. If you put my mii and John's mii up against each other in smash, they can only do the same things, thus taking away their uniqueness and making it a Mario vs. Mario fight, just with our faces. Plus I can race against Mario, win and feel nothing, but if I fight against him, or Bowser or Ridley and actually win, the whole thing seems kinda goofy.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Explain how they don't and how Villager & Wii Fit Trainer DO.
Absolutely. (Even though it won't matter anyways)

Villager is a unique show of a character because in his game (Or her's) even not as the mayor you go for trying to pay of all your debt as the villager to Tom Nook and make the town a better place.

I don't know Wii Fit Trainer as much, but it has a pose you recognize, and something you do recognized. He/she is doing fitness with you and is helping you do fitness. Not that hard.

Mii's in most games I've seen have done the same thing over and over again. I've played most of the games too like most series here. You know what game they were the most unique in? The find mii like stuff I've been playing on my 3DS. I **** you not.

CalumG

Smash Lord
How does the Mii's head take 5 or 6 newcomer's worth of development time?
A Mii itself with a customizable head would not take much development time - it'd be a relatively simple to program, I'm sure.

However, the idea that one poster brought up about giving the Mii the movesets of other characters would take up 5 or 6 newcomers' worth of development time. Mapping a model to a set of animations takes time. Now imagine they don't just have to make movesets and animations for 40+ characters, but they have to painstakingly make sure each animation works with the Mii model as well, including the ridiculous ones - how does a Mii do Rollout? How does a Mii swing its tail at you? How does a Mii suck up another character? If you look at Youtube videos that show people switching the animations from one character to another, most of them are complete messes - because making a set of animations that works with two or more different body types takes months.

Mii could be playable. The idea of Mii's being able to have other characters movesets however is not.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If you put my mii and John's mii up against each other in smash, they can only do the same things, thus taking away their uniqueness and making it a Mario vs. Mario fight, just with our faces.
So a Mario VS Mario fight is okay because they have the same face, but when it's a Mii VS Mii fight it's not because they don't have the same face? What's your point again? You're complaining you don't want to fight someone with the same abilities.

Solution: DON'T PLAY AS THE SAME CHARACTER!

Espio264

Smash Ace
So a Mario VS Mario fight is okay because they have the same face, but when it's a Mii VS Mii fight it's not because they don't have the same face? What's your point again? You're complaining you don't want to fight someone with the same abilities.

Solution: DON'T PLAY AS THE SAME CHARACTER!
No, I'm saying that Mario will always be Mario. But Mii can be anybody. Yet they're all forced to be the same character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Where did the idea of Mii's using the movesets from other characters even come from anyway? We don't even know how the whole customization thing is going to work out since we know so very little about it. It might as well work like those power items from Kid Icarus Uprising and the Stickers from Brawl for all we know for example... :/

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What is with the complaining of the current topic? This is the Roster Prediction Discussion thread isn't it? Where you predict characters? Is there a problem with talking about something that isn't Pokemon & Fire Emblem or do you just not want to confront the possibility of Miis?

Mii could be playable. The idea of Mii's being able to have other characters movesets however is not.
Who the hell told you Miis were going to share moves from other characters?????

CalumG

Smash Lord
Who the hell told you Miis were going to share moves from other characters?????
Nobody did - it was a suggestion somebody made earlier in the thread. I was debunking it. I couldn't care about Mii's either way. Did you actually read my posts?

Espio264

Smash Ace
That's probably because Mii is the same character as Mii. Just like Mario is the same character as Mario.
So you're affirming that my mii is equal to your mii?

(In concept and execution, yes, you are correct. But in what makes the character unique, a customizable avatar that is in fact something that Mario and Link cannot be, then no, they aren't.)

Espio264

Smash Ace
I'm jumping ship too. It's been fun everybody. Have a good night!

I'll leave you with this: Gastly, a limbless character. Make him viable for Smash newcomer. Or don't. You know, whatever.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm jumping ship too. It's been fun everybody. Have a good night!

I'll leave you with this: Gastly, a limbless character. Make him viable for Smash newcomer. Or don't. You know, whatever.
Ooh now here's something to talk about. Gastly would be neat - it'd be like Kirby but a lot more floating around, easy to recover and easy to dodge attacks, but if he gets caught he's basically ****ed

Let's talk about Pokemon characters that are ridiculous. And let's try talking about each other's ridiculous choices while posting new ones I've got a start

CalumG

Smash Lord
I still think we should talk more about Mii's replacing the fighting Wireframes

it's such a perfect idea why haven't more people brought it up srsly guise 0/10 try harder

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I still think we should talk more about Mii's replacing the fighting Wireframes

it's such a perfect idea why haven't more people brought it up srsly guise 0/10 try harder

But the Fighting Wireframes already got replaced by the Fighting Alloy's. :troll:

Well I guess that's a posibility for them.... But I'd imagine Sakurai will do something else with the Multi Man Team.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
The way I see Miis is that the weight and body shape could be changed like in the Mii Maker.
Maybe the power of moves could be changed slightly like how they could be changed in Brawl with stickers.

----

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
The way I see Miis is that the weight and body shape could be changed like in the Mii Maker.
Maybe the power of moves could be changed slightly like how they could be changed in Brawl with stickers.

----
i love how the user with a pokemon who probably won't get into smash doesn't reply to the current topic

this just made me laugh but 10/10 i agree

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
New topic guys?
Yes let's all repeat the same topics and run away from new ones.

So you're affirming that my mii is equal to your mii?
Yes.

But in what makes the character unique, a customizable avatar
The point is to customize their LOOK. You can do that before you even pop the game in. You select from pre-set looks so what's the problem here? When has a Mii's uniqueness come from the ability to do everything you do in real life. That's never been it's role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom