• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingmario92

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DragonNinja007
3DS FC
1521-2766-8982
Sakurai didn't have Miis in the last game for an obvious reason. Brawl began development before the Wii was even released. Miis have appeared in no games and thus have no move set. Now games like Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, StreetPass, Wii Fit U, Wii Party, Wii Party U, Nintendo Land, and Pilot Wings Resort have given them INSANE potential. They are a mascot and they are present on 3DS & Wii U. There is NO reason not to add them.

do you want them to speak? :troll:

TheBakonBitz

Smash Journeyman
2 things

1. Mewtwo is superior as a PRIORITIZED SMASH CHARACTER. I still think Lucario is better (THIS IS COMING FROM A HARD GEN WHO USED TO FAV MEWTWO! OH, YEAH HE'S THAT AWESOME!) :p
  2. Little Mac ain't no Retro Rep. Why are we comparing him to Takamaru?
I was giving an example, someone asked what < and > meant. What was stated above meant nothing.

But in reply to your comment:
Little Mac and Pit are sort of their own class, they are revival characters I guess.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
ThirdKoopa trolling everyone by asking them what are the ten characters they would cut, Pilotwings, etc etc etc etc

Oh yeah, I made a thread If you had to cut ten characters, who would they be?
Ten characters they would cut? That's practically almost a third of the roster, that's suicide! There's so many great characters in Smash Bros already that even having to pick five is a trick situation, let alone DOUBLE that.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't see a point in Mii... Well for other games I guess they are ok. But for Smash? No, we already got Villager who is the "Compiled/Random Moveset Character" so Mii could be some sort of clone to Villager? hmm... Not Needed.
To be fair, Mii's have a lot of different things to work with that Sakurai would need to be very lazy to not do some research and turn them into a clone of Villager. Especially with the Wii Sports, Play, Music etc titles As well as the Mii Plaza stuff from the 3DS. And then (Pilotwings fans are going to lynch me for this) there is also some stuff from Pilotwings Resort to work with.

Sakurai must not even be trying if he has to resort of turning them into a clone of Villager... :/

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't see a point in Mii... Well for other games I guess they are ok. But for Smash? No, we already got Villager who is the "Compiled/Random Moveset Character" so Mii could be some sort of clone to Villager? hmm... Not Needed.
Do you own a Wii, Wii U, or 3DS? Have you ever seen or played a game that featured Mii's? What logic is this? Just because Villager is a customizeable avatar that makes Miis a clone of him? Miis have Jetpacks, Sports Equipment, Swords, Magic, Jet packs, Rocket Ships, Music, Duck Hunt Zappers, Wii Remote + Nunchuck, Fencing, Ping Pong Paddles, Bob Sleds, Trampolines, and Parachutes JUST TO NAME A FEW.

Considering Mii was never playable in Animal Crossing and thus can't use anything from Animal Crossing.........................WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!?:urg:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I know Mii's have tons of potential, but the look of the character is just simply no fun. And they kind a have a huge Hate-Base as well as a Fan-Base, so their like Tingle. Iconic, but no one really wants them.

Also I got, Wii, Wii U, and soon 3DS... And I know all about the Mii's, and like to joke, but if you didn't get that al'right. I forgive you...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ten characters they would cut? That's practically almost a third of the roster, that's suicide! There's so many great characters in Smash Bros already that even having to pick five is a trick situation, let alone DOUBLE that.
I did it easily. :p

Mario - Luigi is the real main character, Mario is jsut an extra character who has no importance.
Pikachu - There are hundreds and hundreds of Pokemon to chose from. Why do we need this stupid little mouse.
Ness - Stupid ****ing little kid.
Donkey Kong - Too fat.
Samus - THE GAME IS CALLED METROID NOT SAMUS SO OBVIOUSLY METROID IS THE MAIN CHARACTER.
Marth - Because Anna is the mascot of the series and Marth is just to feminine and can be replaced via Lucina.
Link - Toon Link > Link
Ganondorf - A GIANT PIG IS BETTER THEN A SLOW *** OLD MAN.
Pit - Stupid *** fairy
Kirby - Too pink and eats to much.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Okay so Mii

Here's my problem with Mii's. It'll be funny, but even in the first week you'll see 500 Hitler, Obama, and Rick Astley mii's It'll lose novelty really fast. And if you can't customize it, what then? We put in the black one from Wii Sports? The woman from swapnote? Doesn't that also ruin the purpose at the same time?

It's like when Guitar Hero 5 said "Here, you don't want to play Bass? Now EVERYONE can play Guitar!" and then at parties I just felt like "The hell is the point" when I had it over and just had in Rock Band 3 instead.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I know Mii's have tons of potential, but the look of the character is just simply no fun. And they kind a have a huge Hate-Base as well as a Fan-Base, so their like Tingle. Iconic, but no one really wants them.
  • They have the funnest move set I've heard so far.
  • Sakurai does not base his roster on what SmashBoards Requests and doesn't request. Sakurai will add Miis for the hundreds of reasons to add them.
  • Just because a hate base exists for something doesn't mean it's remotely comparable in size to it's love base.
Here's my problem with Mii's. It'll be funny, but even in the first week you'll see 500 Hitler, Obama, and Rick Astley mii's It'll lose novelty really fast.
And Sakurai should care because why???

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
As I said earlier. You might have a different view on a character, that others doesn't. Not only regarding Mii's but everything in General. And my opinions are mine, and not yours. But I respect all the love you give to the Mii's... I've made tons of Mii's at my Plaza, but I don't see Mii's in my fighting game where I want to see Mario kick some Donkey Ass, if you get my drift.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mii's are one of those characters that have mixed opinions yes, either you like them or you dislike them (or you just don't care).

If they are not playable, whatever. If they are, I won't lose sleep over them.

I just don't have an opinion on them. Though If they are playable I would like to see Sakurai give them a little less of a simplistic design, kinda like what he did for Villager.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Was this an issue for Nintendo in Mario Kart Wii?
Yeah but the difference there is that your personalized avatar was in a good spirited competitive race with Nintendo all stars, Not having its teeth kicked in by Ganondorf and Ike and Mewtwo.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As I said earlier. You might have a different view on a character, that others doesn't. Not only regarding Mii's but everything in General. And my opinions are mine, and not yours. But I respect all the love you give to the Mii's... I've made tons of Mii's at my Plaza, but I don't see Mii's in my fighting game where I want to see Mario kick some Donkey ***, if you get my drift.
First of all several people DO share my opinion. And again this did not affect the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer or Ice Climbers. So I don't catch your drift. Smash Brothers is not a contest where the person with the most wants is the character that gets in. Sakurai adds characters for HIS reasons. If Sakurai wants to add Miis he probably doesn't care whether or not people want them....and most people do.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
And Sakurai should care because why???

Because thinking about the novelty of a character in Smash Bros is a good thing for a start? Why don't you actually think of the other side of the coin for a bit? The producer's have to. I am. And even if it doesn't matter (Which it does but hey, they got into MKWii and MK7 just to name a few), I (Along with any others) are damn well pleased to think it'd be annoying as hell for starters.

And I even complimented it by saying Mii's would have a unique moveset.

And no, nobody "Loves" Mii's. It's something neutral. It's like the Villager and WFT but hey those still got in so **** it (And I don't mind those)

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
First of all several people DO share my opinion. And again this did not affect the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer or Ice Climbers. So I don't catch your drift. Smash Brothers is not a contest where the person with the most wants is the character that gets in. Sakurai adds characters for HIS reasons. If Sakurai wants to add Miis he probably doesn't care whether or not people want them....and most people do.

Fine. I do know people wants Mii's and share your opinions. But there are also people with My opinion as well... And why can't all just be friends and not start barshing each other down like this. I mean. We don't need to fight here wether Mii's should be in the game or not. I don't want them in my opinion. You want them in, that's your opinion. Case closed ok?

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Yeah, let's totally just not talk about anything and have no arguments whatsoever. Actually, let's just stop debating this altogether because Sakurai, the other four heirs to the Smash Franchise fortune, and the guy doing the Tales game will do the entire roster choices. Let's just not talk about characters at all, and close all the threads until Smash 4 comes out and the final roster is revealed. In-fact, let's show how much we love current characters by making even more fan-art of them and hating on every single possible choice for the roster; that way we'll be pleased no matter what!

All the love to spread! On a message board!

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Because thinking about the novelty of a character in Smash Bros is a good thing for a start? Why don't you actually think of the other side of the coin for a bit? The producer's have to. I am. And even if it doesn't matter (Which it does but hey, they got into MKWii and MK7 just to name a few), I (Along with any others) are damn well pleased to think it'd be annoying as hell for starters.

And I even complimented it by saying Mii's would have a unique moveset.

And no, nobody "Loves" Mii's. It's something neutral. It's like the Villager and WFT but hey those still got in so **** it (And I don't mind those)
I'm saying that's not really a big issue at all. It's nitpicking if you ask me. I don't see how a character loses it's novelty like that. You can design and name a Mii, but the Mii itself is still a Nintendo Character. Who cares if it looks different or the same some times when you face it, it's still a Mii. Is this really an issue that conflicts with the actual game?

Espio264

Smash Ace
I think if Miis are included, they should simply be your personal avatar. They can represent specific player's stats, and even work like the name blocks did in the other games. Hell, they can even have some kind of role in the Stadium activities. But to make them playable, and say that something dressed up like you isn't just part of the competition but has been selected out of precious few to the ranks of Nintendo legend, just feels kinda lame. I enjoyed racing as myself in MKWii for a while, but why would I wanna be myself with a generic moveset if I can be Fox or Mewtwo or Sonic?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
@Espio264
That's actually a pretty good idea. And is what Nintendo should do all along. This way even I would like the inclusion (as what Espio said, not playable)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think if Miis are included, they should simply be your personal avatar. They can represent specific player's stats, and even work like the name blocks did in the other games. Hell, they can even have some kind of role in the Stadium activities. But to make them playable, and say that something dressed up like you isn't just part of the competition but has been selected out of precious few to the ranks of Nintendo legend, just feels kinda lame. I enjoyed racing as myself in MKWii for a while, but why would I wanna be myself with a generic moveset if I can be Fox or Mewtwo or Sonic?
Again, you are still playing as "Mii" a Nintendo Character just like Fox, Mewtwo, and Mario. And if you think Mii has a generic move set you clearly were not paying attention. Wii Sports, Wii Party, Wii Party U, Wii Play, Wii Fit U, StreetPass, Pilot Wings Resort.

Yeah, REALLY generic move set. :rolleyes:

(P.S. when has a request to NOT include a character ever meant anything to Sakurai.)

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm saying that's not really a big issue at all. It's nitpicking if you ask me. I don't see how a character loses it's novelty like that. You can design and name a Mii, but the Mii itself is still a Nintendo Character. Who cares if it looks different or the same some times when you face it, it's still a Mii. Is this really an issue that conflicts with the actual game?
Yes. How much you it is is up to you (in reality the producers) but yes. And there are probably other issues people can think of easily. Hell, I'll throw one: Programming. Not that I'm saying this would have happened, but it can* (I go back to this later)

It's for sure not nitpicking. In a game of Nintendo All-Stars and then some more, seeing it that a character that's just basically "Yourself" as not a Nintendo All-Star, a lack of novelty, and a lack of interest is totally plausible. And here's a catch-22: It's happened before. Super Smash Bros. Brawl says hi. That's not to say characters who got rejected last time can't be in this time (K. Rool, Krystal, Ridley, Masked Man, Daroach, Some Fat Biatch I don't know, etc); we've seen it with Villager and to an extent, Mega-Man, but it's for sure happened.* (With the *, the reason Mii's could have been discluded is because Wii hardware is actually not that great for doing something like that where-as Wii U has proved perfect. Thus, I've partially debunked my own argument, zing)

And no the Mii itself is really not a nintendo character. Maybe the aesthetics and the name but that's really it when you get it down. Not that I think they won't be in this installment. Even before the rumor and before the announcement's I've taken it seriously (Yes I know probable character roster will say otherwise shut up).

Though it's not all sour. If recent things are anything to base off of, it'll probably only have a changeable shirt and a changeable head, which won't be that visible. If it has a moveset, sure, **** it, whatever. It bakes the question "What's the worst that'll happen" and the worst is you have a party of Smash Bros and one of your friends takes twenty minutes designing a penis mii while the rest of your friends just want to play the damned game.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think Miis could work via a costume type thing. Like for example you have a Mario costume, you can have your Mii wear that costum and now that Mii will play like Mario and have Mario's exact moves, it will just be a different size. Basically Miis could be a clone of every single character in the game. Not to mention it would be absolutly halirous to see Hitler in a Peach or Zelda costume. xD

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I think Miis could work via a costume type thing. Like for example you have a Mario costume, you can have your Mii wear that costum and now that Mii will play like Mario and have Mario's exact moves, it will just be a different size. Basically Miis could be a clone of every single character in the game. Not to mention it would be absolutly halirous to see Hitler in a Peach or Zelda costume. xD
unfortunately that goes under programming problems

Honestly, we'll be lucky if we get to change the shirt and the face. That and an original moveset without too much ridiculousness one way or another is good enough for me.

Espio264

Smash Ace
Again, you are still playing as "Mii" a Nintendo Character just like Fox, Mewtwo, and Mario. And if you think Mii has a generic move set you clearly were not paying attention. Wii Sports, Wii Party, Wii Party U, Wii Play, Wii Fit U, StreetPass, Pilot Wings Resort.

Yeah, REALLY generic move set. :rolleyes:

(P.S. when has a request to NOT include a character ever meant anything to Sakurai.)
I didn't mean that everything a Mii could do are generic actions. If you wanna put it that way, Link has a generic moveset. I just meant that every other part of the Mii is customizable, and personal to yourself. However, the Mii that looks like myself, the one that looks like you, the one that looks like Obama and the one that looks like Justin ****** Bieber would all have the same moveset. You can't customize that. And if Sakurai puts in the effort for a customizable moveset only applicable to Miis, I would rather he just give us another interesting character.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I didn't mean that everything a Mii could do are generic actions. If you wanna put it that way, Link has a generic moveset. I just meant that every other part of the Mii is customizable, and personal to yourself. However, the Mii that looks like myself, the one that looks like you, the one that looks like Obama and the one that looks like Justin ****** Bieber would all have the same moveset. You can't customize that. And if Sakurai puts in the effort for a customizable moveset only applicable to Miis, I would rather he just give us another interesting character.
I like you keep posting you're actually smart

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Yes. How much you it is is up to you (in reality the producers) but yes. And there are probably other issues people can think of easily. Hell, I'll throw one: Programming. Not that I'm saying this would have happened, but it can* (I go back to this later)

It's for sure not nitpicking. In a game of Nintendo All-Stars and then some more, seeing it that a character that's just basically "Yourself" as not a Nintendo All-Star, a lack of novelty, and a lack of interest is totally plausible. And here's a catch-22: It's happened before. Super Smash Bros. Brawl says hi. That's not to say characters who got rejected last time can't be in this time (K. Rool, Krystal, Ridley, Masked Man, Daroach, Some Fat Biatch I don't know, etc); we've seen it with Villager and to an extent, Mega-Man, but it's for sure happened.* (With the *, the reason Mii's could have been discluded is because Wii hardware is actually not that great for doing something like that where-as Wii U has proved perfect. Thus, I've partially debunked my own argument, zing)

And no the Mii itself is really not a nintendo character. Maybe the aesthetics and the name but that's really it when you get it down. Not that I think they won't be in this installment. Even before the rumor and before the announcement's I've taken it seriously (Yes I know probable character roster will say otherwise shut up).

Though it's not all sour. If recent things are anything to base off of, it'll probably only have a changeable shirt and a changeable head, which won't be that visible. If it has a moveset, sure, **** it, whatever. It bakes the question "What's the worst that'll happen" and the worst is you have a party of Smash Bros and one of your friends takes twenty minutes designing a penis mii while the rest of your friends just want to play the damned game.
It appears you weren't paying attention either...

• "Mii" is a Nintendo Character just like Mario, Fox, Samus, and Yoshi. It doesn't matter how you dress it and name it, it's still a Mii. You really don't have anything to prove it's not a Nintendo Character when it has it's own name, design, abilities, and characteristics + personality.
  • How can you use the lack of Miis in Brawl as an excuse when it began development before the Wii was released and Miis did not appear in any games or have any abilities??? I thought that was kind of an obvious reason why they were not included. I said this earlier. :facepalm:
As for your last complaint it is invalid and most likely not considered by Sakurai. Miis are made before you turn the game on. If your friend wants to make a Mii before playing and you want to play just tell him to go **** himself. This is like saying we shouldn't add Mario & Luigi in the same game because your friend can't decide which one he wants to play as. It's not Sakurai's fault if you have a stupid friend.

CalumG

Smash Lord
I could get on board with Mii's. I could tolerate Cloud from Final Fantasy. I could even stomach Goku in Smash (though only barely) because they're at least unique. That being said, despite all of the crap I'd willingly put up with for a game I love, I can honestly say Mii's as costumes with other characters movesets would be one of the worst things that could possibly happen to the franchise. Not only would it be implementing a character who has no unique features, but it'd actively detract from the unique features of other characters. It'd be Mario Kart all over again. You race your friend? They choose Mii. You go online? 7 of the 11 other racers have Mii heads. If the Mii can do everything the other characters can do, it's basically a giant middle finger to the other characters. After all, to the *ahem* 'filthy casuals', why would they bother choosing Samus when they can be Trayvon Martin with Samus's moves instead and fight against Stalin with Link's moveset? It just defeats the purpose... and that's before going into how immensely difficult it'd be to make one model that could handle every characters animations - putting that kind of Mii functionality in would probably take 5 or 6 newcomers' worth of development time.

Here's an idea: how about the Mii's replace the Fighting Wireframes/Alloys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom