• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Punch Out!! is modern continuing series so stop comparing it to retro series.

Compare it to other modern series like Golden Sun, Xenoblade, etc.

Reznor

work in progress
guys Little Mac has newer games on the Wii hes not really a retro character (well technically Little Mac is a retro character but so is Mario technically)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A duo playstyle.

The way he wrote it, made it seem like Sakurai had picked Ice Climbers for moveset potential, when all they did was swinging hammers.

The duo playstyle was what he was looking for. Ice Climbers just happened to be one of those games where Co-op play was available (and was also one of his favorites).

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wish we would get a new Ice Climbers game, please tell me I'm not the only one who wants one.

That aside, who exactly is being discussed in the current topic?

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Even you have to admit that Punch-Out!! is of a much higher level of importance to Nintendo than those games you listed. My whole point was that there's really no unrepresented series that even comes close to Punch-Out!!'s importance to Nintendo.
I never said Punch-Out wasn't of higher importance! All I said is that these are classics too. I thought I made that pretty clear. I'm just trying to point out Punch Out is not th eonly Classic Famicom title in existence. Why is it the last 10 replies I get are about stuff that people just assume I'm implying, when really nothing I said implies this stuff.

I'm curious... what abilities? Swinging down a hammer?
Don't ask me, he's the one who said he added them because they could have a unique play style, and he gave them one. I'm just repeating what he said.

Reznor

work in progress
I wish we would get a new Ice Climbers game, please tell me I'm not the only one who wants one.

a new Ice Climbers game would be awesome I have played the original on my 3DS and its pretty dang fun but what would the new game play like

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Little Mac.

I think he's all but confirmed at this point. The stage is obviously from Punch Out!!

Reznor

work in progress
Little Mac.

I think he's all but confirmed at this point. The stage is obviously from Punch Out!!
could be the Kirby arena or just a generic Boxing Arena
I want Little Mac also but a generic looking boxing ring doesn't prove anything

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Little Mac.

I thought the fact that the stage is obviously NOT from Punch-Out is why he's not confirmed. There's a giant Smash Symbol on the Arena. Also Smash Bros is written everywhere.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
a new Ice Climbers game would be awesome I have played the original on my 3DS and its pretty dang fun but what would the new game play like

I would love if a lot of those old coop / vs retro games were remade, but with 4 player support.

I'd be willing to pre-order a 4 Player online Balloon Fight game for example, complete with a stage maker.
A 4P Ice Climbers game would be insane as well. Perhaps two teams of Ice Climbers trying to make it to the top, laying traps for the rest below, or just a free for all race to the top.

While there at it making them 3D, they should incorporate 4P support. :)

Kirby is definitely discarded, because the audience is not made up of Kirby characters. Generic... maybe.

Definitely not from Wii Sports either.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want the new Ice Climber game to be similar to Donkey Kong Country 2... it would be a whole lot better than their crappy first game... seriously, that NES game sucked.

Reznor

work in progress
I thought the fact that the stage is obviously NOT from Punch-Out is why he's not confirmed. There's a giant Smash Symbol on the Arena.
it could be Little Mac's Boxing Ring just edited to look more like a smash bros stage

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought the fact that the stage is obviously NOT from Punch-Out is why he's not confirmed. There's a giant Smash Symbol on the Arena.
To prove that it's Punch Out!! inspired, here is a thesis from someguy!

"Somebody on gamefaqs posted this. The stars are what sinks it for me. It is absolutely a punch out stage. Does that mean we will absoulutely 100% get little mac? No but this does increase his chances I'd imagine. The punch out games had a bunch of "Circuits" to fight though this one is a "Super Smash Bros. Circuit" if you will. It's actually pretty darn clever.

First off, the audience is human, so you can rule out any possibility that this is a Kirby themed stage (all Kirby boxing rings have Kirby characters instead). The marquee's in the background are all dot styled, which is consistent with the marquees in Punch Out Wii, and even the title screen and round indicators for Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

All logos in Punch Out Wii are adorned with clusters of stars, which are usually in 3's because triple star punches are the most powerful punch in the game, as well as the "leaf vines" on the sides (forgive me; I don't know the term for this) and a ribbon at the top. The logo in the ring, while being smash themed, shares all of these characteristics.

3 star cluster on bottom: http://i.imgur.com/QSCAXpe.jpg
Minor/Major/World Circuit Emblems: http://i.imgur.com/oWzpteX.jpg

The ring ropes are also identical in both color and configuration as the Major Circuit ring in Punch Out Wii. Similarly, the corners are all identical colors and positions as the Punch Out Wii corners.

Major Circuit ropes, and World Circuit ribbon: http://i.imgur.com/UV4O3mB.png

Also, it's worth noting that the final fight in Punch Out Wii, Mr. Sandman, has a very particular entrance for both his Title Defense and Contender fights. He approaches the ring while there's a green laser light show that goes on behind him. Well, check this out...

Sandman intro: http://i.imgur.com/hvnTGDl.png
Mario in the ring: http://i.imgur.com/Odu2I7I.jpg

Same green laser show.

It would be real silly to think this is not a Punch Out themed stage. There is an abundance of intentional details that suggest otherwise."

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Little Mac.

EDIT: Reznor beat me to the King D3 arena, and mine was meant as a joke.

Jokes aside, I'm looking forward to a Little Mac reveal, and I haven't even played any Punch Out!! games, but they all look fun as heck. I've gotten into a lot of series because of Smash, Punch Out!! is no exception.

Hopefully with more content, but not an overly complicated 3D upscroller.

There is so much pontential for a new IC game.

Reznor

work in progress
It's not Mt. Dedede.
just giving suggestions (I know its not a kirby stage)

"Somebody on gamefaqs posted this. The stars are what sinks it for me. It is absolutely a punch out stage. Does that mean we will absoulutely 100% get little mac? No but this does increase his chances I'd imagine. The punch out games had a bunch of "Circuits" to fight though this one is a "Super Smash Bros. Circuit" if you will. It's actually pretty darn clever.

First off, the audience is human, so you can rule out any possibility that this is a Kirby themed stage (all Kirby boxing rings have Kirby characters instead). The marquee's in the background are all dot styled, which is consistent with the marquees in Punch Out Wii, and even the title screen and round indicators for Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

All logos in Punch Out Wii are adorned with clusters of stars, which are usually in 3's because triple star punches are the most powerful punch in the game, as well as the "leaf vines" on the sides (forgive me; I don't know the term for this) and a ribbon at the top. The logo in the ring, while being smash themed, shares all of these characteristics.

The ring ropes are also identical in both color and configuration as the Major Circuit ring in Punch Out Wii. Similarly, the corners are all identical colors and positions as the Punch Out Wii corners.

Also, it's worth noting that the final fight in Punch Out Wii, Mr. Sandman, has a very particular entrance for both his Title Defense and Contender fights. He approaches the ring while there's a green laser light show that goes on behind him. Well, check this out...

Same green laser show.

It would be real silly to think this is not a Punch Out themed stage. There is an abundance of intentional details that suggest otherwise."

those are some good points but it might just be a Punch Out inspired stage and nothing else (I really hope its a Punch Out stage though)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Same green laser show.

It has similarities, and I'm sure it's inspired by it. But so far it's just a Smash Arena. I mean Pokemon Stadium didn't have a Smash Icon and "Smash Bros." Written Everywhere.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
When did this become a topic about Takamaru getting in instead of Little Mac? And He's actually not that obscure and has plenty of abilities. If anything he's more unique then Little Mac. I mean he picked Ice Climbers because of their abilities, and Super Smash Brothers is sold in Japan as well. So Popular Japanese characters like Marth, Roy, and Takamaru get into SSB.
As far as uniqueness in smash bros. being your point, Takamaru fights with a sword. We have none of THAT, right? And I know he can do other things, but his main smashes will most likely use his sword if he's playable. Whereas Lil Mac, is a fighting style we haven't seen yet. Sure we have other fist fighters, but we don't have other boxers. However I could see this being used as a point for Takamaru as well, being that we don't yet have a samurai. But when it comes to a japan only smash contender with moveset potential? Sukapon. However Takamaru has a bit of popularity as of late, so I think that's why we mention him so much, and is what sets him apart.

Also, calling Punch-Out!! a retro game at this point is like calling Kid Icarus one. It's obviously not anymore. It used to be....back when it WAS, you know. Just like any other retro series that is still around today. But Little Mac is super important to Nintendo, I've argued with friends about it to star fox actually. there's no doubt in my mind Mac will be playable, but Takamaru is no shoe in if you ask me. Pretty likely, but no shoe in.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It has similarities, and I'm sure it's inspired by it. But so far it's just a Smash Arena. I mean Pokemon Stadium didn't have a Smash Icon and "Smash Bros." Written Everywhere.
Pokemon Stadium has the smash symbol though.

The smash symbol and the term "smash bros" don't necessarily make it a smash stage. It could easily be Punch Out!! There are way too many similarities for this to be a coincidence.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The symbol on the Punch Out!! stage could also just be a placeholder so as to not give Mac's confirmation away so easily.

This.

Sakurai also said "Please remember this is sitll a game in development" ... and warnings of things that might change, etc, which I think he said right before giving a live demostration of Mario vs Mega Man.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
As far as uniqueness in smash bros. being your point, Takamaru fights with a sword. We have none of THAT, right? And I know he can do other things, but his main smashes will most likely use his sword if he's playable. Whereas Lil Mac, is a fighting style we haven't seen yet. Sure we have other fist fighters, but we don't have other boxers. However I could see this being used as a point for Takamaru as well, being that we don't yet have a samurai. But when it comes to a japan only smash contender with moveset potential? Sukapon. However Takamaru has a bit of popularity as of late, so I think that's why we mention him so much, and is what sets him apart.

Also, calling Punch-Out!! a retro game at this point is like calling Kid Icarus one. It's obviously not anymore. It used to be....back when it WAS, you know. Just like any other retro series that is still around today. But Little Mac is super important to Nintendo, I've argued with friends about it to star fox actually. there's no doubt in my mind Mac will be playable, but Takamaru is no shoe in if you ask me. Pretty likely, but no shoe in.
Sukapon isn't more likely than Takamaru. A character that Punches stuff, we haven't seen THAT right? And like Little Mac is a different style of Punching, Takamaru is a different style of swordplay. Not to mention he could use, Shurikens, Flame Elements as well as the ability to shoot flames, or the ability to become invisible for a short while. He can even have a flaming sword to please the Roy fans. I mean honestly it's like comparing Marth to Link.

New topic: Who think's Takamaru will have a Flaming Sword to make up for Roy? I do!

Pokemon Stadium has the smash symbol though.
Where?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sukapon isn't more likely than Takamaru. A character that Punches stuff, we haven't seen THAT right? And like Little Mac is a different style of Punching, Takamaru is a different style of swordplay. Not to mention he could use, Shurikens, Flame Elements as well as the ability to shoot flames, or the ability to become invisible for a short while. He can even have a flaming sword to please the Roy fans. I mean honestly it's like comparing Marth to Link.

New topic: Who think's Takamaru will have a Flaming Sword to make up for Roy? I do!
Takamaru has a flaming sword?

Habanero, that true?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I just assumed it was just a smash inspired punch out ring since that is currently the battle thats taking place. Boxing rings are always adorned with the current fight and venue at hand, sakurai might have taken that into consideration here. And we havent seen much, that scrolling electric banner could say WVBA at some point too. The thing that makes me think its a punch out stage the most though is the somewhat shaded outline around the speakers, i dont know why but that resembles a bit of that games graphical style.

TheCreator

Smash Lord

Where?

I never said Sukapon is more likely than Takamaru. But he's from a japan only fighting game with one release, (I think) just like Takamaru. The only reason the playing field is not level with these two is because of Takamaru's popularity, and recent cameo. I said we have indeed seen characters that punch things. I said Takamaru is a different style of swordplay. I implied he could use other things. Having a flaming sword is an idea I don't like for Takamaru, and Opossum said the same exact thing to you about Marth and Link like, 5 pages ago. And you disagreed. I remember because I backed him

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Pretty sure it flashes on the screen at some point, but to further prove my point....

A connection to smash does not make it a smash stage.
[/quote]

Okay, that's a horrible comparison because

1. It's so CLEARLY a Game & Watch Stage!
  2. That's the name of the Game & Watch game they are playing. That's why there are 4 Nintendo character's beating each other in a Smash stage
  3. What reason would Punch-Out have to make it LOOK like a Smash Arena if the world their trying to represent is from Punch-Out? Shouldn't it be advertisning NY or the game Punch-Out?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Takamaru has a flaming sword?

Habanero, that true?
Him using fire is not exactly obscure. His sword is capable of producing fire in Samurai Warriors 3, and in The Mysterious Murasame Castle he can get fireballs as one of two potential shuriken upgrades.

He's also associated with electricity too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom