• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
ok if this stage is or isn't punch out, there is a thing that I very like about it: if this stage wouldn't have hasard I think it would be good as a competitive stage right?

note: I'm not that informed concerning competitive play so it looks like it but could someone please confirm my tought?
It seems to have a walk off edge.

It could go either way depending on how it works.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to add Lucario to my roster over JigglyPuff, but what I fear is that being a fairy Pokemon, JigglyPuff's moves are more unique from Mewtwo. Then there's the possibility Mewtwo will make Lucario low priority. Also Extreme Speed Genesect hasn't made Genesect as popular as Lucario was during gen 4, but you have to admit Genesect has become popular among Pokemon fans.
"Known" and "popular" are alas not the same. Pokémon is not an exception to it. Take the final boss from NMH2 for example. He's known, but "popular" isn't the right word to describe him amongst most fans...

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
"Known" and "popular" are alas not the same. Pokémon is not an exception to it. Take the final boss from NMH2 for example. He's known, but "popular" isn't the right word to describe him amongst most fans...
But, Genesect is popular. He's not Pikachu popular, but he's popular. Don't blame me, blame the chart.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
But, Genesect is popular.
Meh. I'd say he/she/it is becoming more known, yeah. But I see it more like Arceus, Shadow Lugia, Celebi, Giritina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Darkrai, Garchomp, etc.

It's becoming known for it's relevancy (lest we forget the new Genesect event is the 2nd), but in the long run it seems most likely it will loose its luster and be replaced, just like all the rest. Of course only time can really tell if that happens or not, but with the new gen coming soon and it's movie presence being simply a promo for it, I don't see its fame lasting as long as Lucario, Mewtwo or Pikachu.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
ok if this stage is or isn't punch out, there is a thing that I very like about it: if this stage wouldn't have hasard I think it would be good as a competitive stage right?

note: I'm not that informed concerning competitive play so it looks like it but could someone please confirm my tought?
I suppose it'd be competitive, yes. The ropes on each side concern me, though. Those are asking for unbreakable chain-grabs to happen unless they do something to change the physics of grabs.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
ok the way that I see it is I don't think it's a new FD it's just seems less boring than FD imo
My point to it being 2D has nothing to do with it being boring or not, but simple Smash Bros standards.
Grant me the name of just one Smash Bros game-even if fan made-that takes place in a 3D environment instead of the regular 2D. It's just the basics of Smash Bros when it comes to stages. Hence why I felt I had to ask if you had kept that in mind and if there were any other stages you might feel better. I personally agree with your stage choice myself, but I just felt I had to ask.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Meh. I'd say he/she/it is becoming more known, yeah. But I see it more like Arceus, Shadow Lugia, Celebi, Giritina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Darkrai, Garchomp, etc.

It's becoming known for it's relevancy (lest we forget the new Genesect event is the 2nd), but in the long run it seems most likely it will loose its luster and be replaced, just like all the rest. Of course only time can really tell if that happens or not, but with the new gen coming soon and it's movie presence being simply a promo for it, I don't see its fame lasting as long as Lucario, Mewtwo or Pikachu.
There does seem to be a lot of promotion for him. And I'm not talking about the movie. But, there's really no way to tell how long he'll be popular, I mean nobody knew how long Lucario would be popular but he was enough to get in Brawl. But, yeah he's not as popular as Mewtwo, Pikachu, or Lucario. But, should we take into consideration more things besides just popularity? Such as abilities, uniqueness, and representation. I mean that's kind of why I still have JigglyPuff.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My point to it being 2D has nothing to do with it being boring or not, but simple Smash Bros standards.
Grant me the name of just one Smash Bros game-even if fan made-that takes place in a 3D environment instead of the regular 2D. It's just the basics of Smash Bros when it comes to stages. Hence why I felt I had to ask if you had kept that in mind and if there were any other stages you might feel better. I personally agree with your stage choice myself, but I just felt I had to ask.
I may suck at english but I don't think I understand your question are you asking me what stage would I feel better than the boxing ring in 2D environment?
if it's the case then... idk I was just talking about how well it would be if it was a competitive stage not my stage idea/preference

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
There does seem to be a lot of promotion for him. And I'm not talking about the movie. But, there's really no way to tell how long he'll be popular, I mean nobody knew how long Lucario would be popular but he was enough to get in Brawl. But, yeah he's not as popular as Mewtwo, Pikachu, or Lucario. But, should we take into consideration more things besides just popularity? I mean that's kind of why I still have JigglyPuff.
Jigglypuff was hugely popular (partially of lvl 7 wild Mew in Red and Blue [strongly recommended to trigger the glitch properly and catch it], but mostly the anime) back when Smash Bros was first released. Ness and EB/Mo was too. In Smash Bros, LoZ:OoT was directly referenced in it. It was really the most popular characters from the most popular games at that time. They became the classics, so I have my doubts they'll really ever be removed from the roster simply because of their sentimental value to the Smash Bros series. Perhaps an example outside of the classics could help persuade my opinion to change?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff was hugely popular (partially of lvl 7 wild Mew in Red and Blue [strongly recommended to trigger the glitch properly and catch it], but mostly the anime) back when Smash Bros was first released.
I don't think people knew of the Mew Glitch back in the first gen days.

Those were the days of Maxpages-hosted webpages spouting various rumors, hoaxes, and Gameshark codes.

----

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
I may suck at english but I don't think I understand your question are you asking me what stage would I feel better than the boxing ring in 2D environment?
if it's the case then... idk I was just talking about how well it would be if it was a competitive stage not my stage idea/preference
Then to simplify my question:
Do you think its the best stage from Punch-Out to be made into 2D format (to be used in Smash Bros)? Or do you think there are others that would be/look better?

I don't think people knew of the Mew Glitch back in the first gen days.

Those were the days of Maxpages-hosted webpages spouting various rumors, hoaxes, and Gameshark codes.

----
....Say that to my lvl 92 Mew on Blue version....
...and my Wigglytuff that helped catch it....

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
But did you know about that glitch back in the 90s? :rolleyes:

Do you think its the best stage from Punch-Out to be made into 2D format (to be used in Smash Bros)? Or do you think there are others that would be/look better?
What other Punch-Out!!! stage contenders are there besides the ring?
The training room?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
oh ok now it's clear well tbh I don't have any other idea because it's seems more logical to me that if there is a punch ou stage, it would be a boxing ring smash allready have one so if I try to find another stages from punch out, it will just be similar to the one confirmed so yes I think it's the best because I can't think of anything that would be better just as good as

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
For those of you who don't know the Mew glitch in Red/Blue:

Catch a Jigglypuff
Raise it until its speed is past 25 (you can evolve it if you'd like)
Use it to catch an Abra
While Abra is still asleep (put it to sleep with Jig/Wigglytuff), go here (next to bridge north of Cerulean)
[x=you, o=trainer]
---------x _____
----------|-------- | bridge
----------| water |
----------|-------- |
-------o |--------- |
Go down one you should end up here

---------- _____
--------x|-------- | bridge
----------| water |
----------|-------- |
-------o |--------- |
(to confirm better, the trainer should come into your field of vision after moving down)
With Abra use teleport (trainer will have an ! appear above his head if you did this correctly)
You will no longer be able to open the menu/use the start button. This is temporary

Would anyone care to hear the rest or does nobody care enough? I'm halfway done...

I want to see a chart that shows Genesect's popularity.
In the long run I believe its popularity will dwindle like the rest, not in the next 5 minutes...

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe it was popular in the first place. I remember a lot of people not liking it actually.
I know, I was one of the many (hence why I brought up this being the 2nd Genesect event). My point was saying what popularity it has gained I feel it will loose in the foreseeable future.

But did you know about that glitch back in the 90s? :rolleyes:

The training room?
Well considering I didn't have the game back then and considering my age back then too, it's kind of like asking a 18 year old about the original Mother 1/EB0. I don't think I even knew what Pokémon was when Red and Blue were first released here, so no. I didn't know about the glitch until about 3 years after I got the game, and even then it was old by then.

Reznor

work in progress
why don't I get notices for this thread sometimes :glare:

I want to see a chart that shows Genesect's popularity.
this I just want to know what the source for when some one says a pokemon is popular or not (please something other than the IGN poll)

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Pokemon is almost impossible to predict. I certainly never saw Lucario or Pokemon Trainer coming for Brawl, or Mewtwo being turfed out. Given the number of surprises we've already seen in the little we know about the new games anything could happen.

Reznor

work in progress
Pokemon is almost impossible to predict. I certainly never saw Lucario or Pokemon Trainer coming for Brawl, or Mewtwo being turfed out. Given the number of surprises we've already seen in the little we know about the new games anything could happen.
come on man we all knew Lucario was getting in PT is the one no one predicted

CalumG

Smash Lord
come on man we all knew Lucario was getting in PT is the one no one predicted
Not quite correct. I don't know about you, but quite a lot of people wanted Charizard, and quite a lot of people pre-Brawl predicted that varying different Pokemon Trainers would, or rather should, be playable - and were normally greeted by being laughed out of town by people who thought they knew better about what kind of characters would be in Smash. When you consider that Red/Satoshi ranked quite highly on polls, it's not so unbelievable. The only surprise of the Pokemon Trainer, as far as I'm concerned, was the mechanic through which he was implemented - quite a few people predicted a trainer (although others called those people stupid), and in retrospect having the main protagonist of the series seems obvious now, but the thing that was truly surprising was the switch-out mechanic, which I don't think anybody could have seen coming.

That being said, a lot of people who suggested Pokemon Trainers got passed off as crackpot conspiracists because they were suggesting that anime characters be playable, such as Ash, rather than the more obvious Red. Either way, Pokemon Trainer was not as out-of-the-blue as people like to suggest.

Reznor

work in progress
Not quite correct. I don't know about you, but quite a lot of people wanted Charizard, and quite a lot of people pre-Brawl predicted that varying different Pokemon Trainers would, or rather should, be playable - and were normally greeted by being laughed out of town by people who thought they knew better about what kind of characters would be in Smash. When you consider that Red/Satoshi ranked quite highly on polls, it's not so unbelievable. The only surprise of the Pokemon Trainer, as far as I'm concerned, was the mechanic through which he was implemented - quite a few people predicted a trainer (although others called those people stupid), and in retrospect having the main protagonist of the series seems obvious now, but the thing that was truly surprising was the switch-out mechanic, which I don't think anybody could have seen coming.

That being said, a lot of people who suggested Pokemon Trainers got passed off as crackpot conspiracists because they were suggesting that anime characters be playable, such as Ash, rather than the more obvious Red. Either way, Pokemon Trainer was not as out-of-the-blue as people like to suggest.
so Lucario and PT were predicted makes sense

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Before PT all the characters were, how shall I put it, clearly defined named characters. While now with Villager and Wii Fit Trainer there's more none named characters, before PT it was unheard of. Precedent alone would have dictated that PT would have been called Red. For that reason I never thought we'd see trainer until he was announced.

As for the Pokemon themselves, it's still hard to predict. Given Mewtwo's popularity I thought maybe Jiggly for Lucario may have been the move but I was wrong. Until we have a better idea of how many characters we'll see, it's hard to predict the number of Pokemon reps. More than any other franchise Pokemon has the biggest number of characters who are potentially playable. I'd say the really question is not who we'll see but how many: 4? 5? Heck, some have been saying 6.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Before PT all the characters were, how shall I put it, clearly defined named characters. While now with Villager and Wii Fit
Mr. Game and Watch. He's named after a console and he never existed before Smash Bros. For that matter, "Ice Climbers" is a title, not a name.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
Mr. Game and Watch. He's named after a console and he never existed before Smash Bros. For that matter, "Ice Climbers" is a title, not a name.
What I'd say to that is Mr Game and Watch never had a name so the title was created for the games. As for the Ice Climbers there's two of them and the game refers to them as Popo and Nana in trophies etc. Ice Climbers is both the title of their game and less of a mouthful then their actual names but I take your point.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Can we just take a moment to imagine fighting Master Hand there? A giant disembodied hand floats over the audience, scared and confused as they scream at the surreal being, to beat up the victor of the previous match. The situation sounds less mystical like it is in the first three Smash Bros. and much more instead like some bizarre last-second idea for a boss fight in Classic mode. There isn't much reason for the implied in-universe God of Creation to just show up in a boxing ring of all places.

For those reasons, I'm pretty sure that it's not Final Destination.

Yeah, same here.
Not only that... but why would Sakurai say things like Fighting characters not standing a chance.... right after adding a generic boxing ring for a stage?
Heck, why would he not relate it to Punch Out if it's such an obviously big Nintendo franchise (at least around Star Fox's level)

All they really have to do is change the "Bros." in the stage for "Circuit" and it's a Punch Out stage.

And I REALLY like the idea of having this stage as a competitive stage. :) A really great counterpick for stay-away characters.

ONE MORE OBSERVATION, regarding the Boxing Ring.

It apparently is a Wii U stage only. Where as the closest thing to it on 3DS is the FIre Emblem stage.
Punch Out has always been on big TVs... so... Another factor to consider.

If it were a generic stage like Battlefield... wouldn't the 3DS have it too?

---

I didn't predict PT but I did support him. :)
The guy single handedly made up for the meh roster that was Brawl, imo. Sonic too.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, for people who haven't played Punch-Out on Wii it's not as obvious as you think.
I've never played Punch Out on Wii...

... and I still think that's got to be a Punch Out stage.

If Little Mac gets a trailer for SSB4 it better play "You're the best around" over it.
INB4 "Eye of the tiger"

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Uuuuuuggghhh...someone get a hose, I feel like I need to be washed off after hearing such dribbling stupidity in a Shadow for Smash argument....

Anyways, it looks like we have a new promotional video for Pokemon X and Y:

Some of the more interesting things to note...Fennekin can learn Fire Punch (How I have no idea), the new pokemon Oorotto, Sylveon is still being marketed pretty heavily, and also...a possible new attack for Awakened Mewtwo?

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Uuuuuuggghhh...someone get a hose, I feel like I need to be washed off after hearing such dribbling stupidity in a Shadow for Smash argument....

Some of the more interesting things to note...Fennekin can learn Fire Punch (How I have no idea), the new pokemon Oorotto, Sylveon is still being marketed pretty heavily, and also...a possible new attack for Awakened Mewtwo?
That's a few days old, actually.
Also, that bike around 0:12 is so tiny. XD

I've never played Punch Out on Wii...

... and I still think that's got to be a Punch Out stage.

INB4 "Eye of the tiger"
Someone beat you to it. :smirk:

---

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

If it makes you feel only a LITTLE better... I used to be a hardcore Sonic fan not long ago. But an argument with a Sonic Adventure 2 fanboy (and a whole lot of the fanbase consistently whining) made me reconsider my position as a Sonic fan.

Switched over to Mega Man, my 2nd favorite thing at the moment.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
You know, this thread reminds me of the last time Super Smash Bros. came out.

There was also a lot of doubt, fallacious statements, flame wars, and all sorts of chaos. But the past was much worse then it is now, which might be because a lot of users simply squirmed away after the release of Brawl. It was quite a different ball game then it is now.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
If it makes you feel only a LITTLE better... I used to be a hardcore Sonic fan not long ago. But an argument with a Sonic Adventure 2 fanboy (and a whole lot of the fanbase consistently whining) made me reconsider my position as a Sonic fan.

Switched over to Mega Man, my 2nd favorite thing at the moment.
I actually hated Sonic Adventure 2. If Sonic & Shadow were the only playable characters it'd be great game. But, you hardly get to play as them. You gotta do boring crap like finding emeralds or play a horrible shooting level.

The training room?
A scrolling stage of the Bike cutscene.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, this thread reminds me of the last time Super Smash Bros. came out.

There was also a lot of doubt, fallacious statements, flame wars, and all sorts of chaos. But the past was much worse then it is now, which might be because a lot of users simply squirmed away after the release of Brawl. It was quite a different ball game then it is now.

I wasn't around Smashboards at the beginning. I first got into Nsider forums. And that was awful. Probably ranked between Gamefaqs (being the worst) and this place (being the best).

I actually hated Sonic Adventure 2. If Sonic & Shadow were the only playable characters it'd be great game. But, you hardly get to play as them. You gotta do boring crap like finding emeralds or play a horrible shooting level.

100% Agree.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So doing some research into Nintendo IPs I have learnt the The Last Story and Pandora's Tower fall under the list of recent new IPs of Nintendo. This means they could technically come in under first parties. Now previously I have said i don't see a Golden Sun rep getting in or Xenoblade rep getting in. Well I still don't think GS will be getting a rep as I feel they missed their chance in Brawl. But Shulk might be different now, proignally I couldn't see Shulk getting without Zael and Aeron getting in also (because in my heart Xenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower create this trilogy of the last 3 good games on the Wii and all being ARPG based). So with TLS and PT being IPs of Nintendo and technically being able to fall under first party, do you think there is a chance for all 3, Shulk, Zael, and Aeron, to get in Smash4 to show off the last 3 good games on the Wii? As I honestly can't see any of them getting in without the other 2 to go with them.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
So doing some research into Nintendo IPs I have learnt the The Last Story and Pandora's Tower fall under the list of recent new IPs of Nintendo. This means they could technically come in under first parties. Now previously I have said i don't see a Golden Sun rep getting in or Xenoblade rep getting in. Well I still don't think GS will be getting a rep as I feel they missed their chance in Brawl. But Shulk might be different now, proignally I couldn't see Shulk getting without Zael and Aeron getting in also (because in my heart Zenoblade, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower create this trilogy of the last 3 good games on the Wii and all being ARPG based). So with TLS and PT being IPs of Nintendo and technically being able to fall under first party, do you think there is a chance for all 3, Shulk, Zael, and Aeron, to get in Smash4 to show off the last 3 good games on the Wii? As I honestly can't see any of them getting in without the other 2 to go with them.
Sadly, no. All three getting in has a very low chance.
I'd love it, though.

----

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom