• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
what are the chances that lucario will be replaced by a 6th gen that hasnt been shown yet?

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Whatever role he plays in the movies is irrelevant. Mewtwo was angry and aggresive in Melee because the pokedex entries indicate that it is the pokemon with the most savage attitude. In the games, Genesect was created by Team Plasma and it is under their command, unlike Mewtwo who escaped and just hid in a cave.
You... you really aren't that familiar with the Pokémon manga are you? Mewtwo wasn't originally in the cave, and it's heavily implied Giovanni chased him there with ghost type Pokémon (why team rocket was in Lavander Town) and that he had originally planned to catch Mewtwo using the Master Ball he had heard of and then use Mewtwo to take over the world after capture (Red got the Master Ball instead though). You really should look into it, it explains everything Team Rocket does (or heavily implies it) in the Kanto.
As for Genesect, why not Victini? Was it not in more movies than it? How about Reshiram, or Zekrom, or Kyurem? Are they of no value? Do they have no popularity? No, movies does not justify Genesect's appearance in a Smash Bros roster.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't think Roy got into Melee because he has a fire sword...
Sakurai said he thought Roy was the most distinguishable option for a Marth clone due to his fire sword. The second most popular lord for Sakurai's pre-Melee poll, Celice/Seliph, was basically a Marth MKII in terms of design.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai has said he already decided the roster. I think if there was going to be some sort of sixth-generation poster Pokemon (aside from dessert pastry form Mewtwo), we would have seen it already. I think Sakurai will have sixth-generation represented in the form of including the new Mewtwo form in some playable form, whether it be the default for Mewtwo, something classic Mewtwo can transform into, or merely a temporary transformation for a Final Smash.

People grossly overestimate Lucario's chances of being cut. At the very least he is safer than Snake, Sonic, Toon Link, and Ike.

Reznor

work in progress
By an unannounced 6th gen Pokemon? 0%.

Sakurai needs to know what pokemon is it!
you know they started making the game a long time ago so Sakurai could know some 6th gen pokemon before they come out lime with Roy (Melee came out 2001 while Fire Emblem 6 came out 2002 using Japanese release dates)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
you know they started making the game a long time ago so Sakurai could know some 6th gen pokemon before they come out lime with Roy (Melee came out 2001 while Fire Emblem 6 came out 2002 using Japanese release dates)
FE6 originally was going to be released during the same month as Melee, but got delayed at the last minute (Sakurai mentions this on Roy's page on the Japanese Melee site). Secondly, a "new" character like Roy was only feasible because clones take 1/6 the effort of one fully originally character.

Whatever new promotional Pokemon that might theoretically exist, will probable be quite different from the Pokemon that have already been playable in the Smash Bros. series in both physical appearance and abilities, making the clone option unfeasible.

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire
You... you really aren't that familiar with the Pokémon manga are you? Mewtwo wasn't originally in the cave, and it's heavily implied Giovanni chased him there with ghost type Pokémon (why team rocket was in Lavander Town) and that he had originally planned to catch Mewtwo using the Master Ball he had heard of and then use Mewtwo to take over the world after capture (Red got the Master Ball instead though). You really should look into it, it explains everything Team Rocket does (or heavily implies it) in the Kanto.
As for Genesect, why not Victini? Was it not in more movies than it? How about Reshiram, or Zekrom, or Kyurem? Are they of no value? Do they have no popularity? No, movies does not justify Genesect's appearance in a Smash Bros roster.
Again, the only material that matters is the games. Movies, manga, anime, and whatever else have no relevance when it comes to smash.

And again, my stance is a pro-Genesect one, not an anti-other-pokemon one. I've never once said that other pokemon are of no value so don't put words in mah mout. I KNOW he's flavor of the month. I KNOW he's not the most popular. I KNOW he's not a 100% guaranteed. However, I like Genesect and think he would be a cool addition to the roster. I also think that there's some chance that he might be chosen (no matter how small others might think it is), and think about how unique a moveset he could get.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai kind of gets an inside feed of all things Nintendo. This includes Pokemon information way before it is released,
Even still I don't think some "unseen" Pokemon is a likely contender for Smash 4.

Pretty much the contenders for playable Pokemon in Smash 4 are:
- Pikachu (already confirmed)
- Jigglypuff
- Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
- Lucario
- Mewtwo
- Pichu
- Zoroark
- Genesect

Of these Pichu and Genesect are the most iffy, and Zoroark looks to be shut out as well (Lucario is getting more screen time nowadays than him). However, I would not rule out the possibility Sakurai gives the Pokemon Trainer some new playable Pokemon.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Again, the only material that matters is the games. Movies, manga, anime, and whatever else have no relevance when it comes to smash.
Sakurai disagrees with you.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

Anime DOES have a large impact for Pokemon's popularity in general, and therefore affects Pokemon's Smash relevance. The anime gives Pokemon personalities, and it raises awareness of a specific Pokemon, which in turn makes them more popular. Lucario didn't become solely popular because of the games, the movies and anime had a huge influence on this. Same with Mewtwo. Same with Pikachu. Even the same with Jiggs back in the early seasons. And it will be the same with the newest Poke-rep in Smash 4 (even if that new rep happens to just be Mewtwo returning).

I don't get why people seem to think the anime/movies have no affect on Pokemon popularity or inclusion. I was preaching this before the above interview even occurred. It's obvious that's how a potential list of 600 characters gets narrowed down.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
And again, my stance is a pro-Genesect one, not an anti-other-pokemon one. I've never once said that other pokemon are of no value so don't put words in mah mout. I KNOW he's flavor of the month. I KNOW he's not the most popular. I KNOW he's not a 100% guaranteed. However, I like Genesect and think he would be a cool addition to the roster. I also think that there's some chance that he might be chosen (no matter how small others might think it is), and think about how unique a moveset he could get.
I was not putting words in your mouth sir, I was asking an honest question. Why not those other candidates? Victini may be small but it carries massive potential for a brawler too. As do quite a few other Pokémon actually. I never stated you were anti anything and it appears you have misread my comment. Oh well, it happens to everyone time to time, so not biggie~

Flavor of the month is nice and all, but even that's not enough to get in. Remember back when Gold (the Pokémon Trainer) had his own side anime (he went under a different name and had a Typhlosion)? It shined for a moment then poof, now nobody remembers it anymore. Same with Shedinja (best ability, worst stats), Shaymin, Black and White forms of Kyurem, or Kyurem in general, Meloetta...
Do you see where I'm going with this? It can't just be "flavor of the month", it needs a solid base. This is something I don't see enough of for Genesect to even be considerable in a place in Smash Bros, or even Project M for that matter.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1970393/pokemon_in_super_smash_bros_how_theyre_selected.html

Anime DOES have a large impact for Pokemon's popularity in general, and therefore affects Pokemon's Smash relevance. The anime gives Pokemon personalities, and it raises awareness of a specific Pokemon, which in turn makes them more popular. Lucario didn't become solely popular because of the games, the movies and anime had a huge influence on this. Same with Mewtwo. Same with Pikachu. Even the same with Jiggs back in the early seasons. And it will be the same with the newest Poke-rep in Smash 4 (even if that new rep happens to just be Mewtwo returning).

I don't get why people seem to think the anime/movies have no affect on Pokemon popularity or inclusion. I was preaching this before the above interview even occurred. It's obvious that's how a potential list of 600 characters gets narrowed down.
Y'know, I think Lucario is still popular BECAUSE of Smash Bros. Don't you think?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Smash can and does broaden a character's fanbase yes, but it's not the sole reason or the largest reason any character is popular. They do that on their own, thus warranting their inclusion. He' still popular because of Pokemon itself, Smash just helps him a little.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would say Smash Bros. helps the popularity of any character, not just Lucario. However, Lucario is still promoted plenty in the Pokemon games and anime, so even if there were idiots who argued that "Lucario being in is not fair 'cuz most of his popularity is from Smash Bros.", they would be pretty much ignoring how big he still is outside of Smash Bros. in terms of his native series.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Exactly, Smash also helps some characters' popularity more than others. Lucario was already pretty popular, then Smash just made him a bit more popular. Whereas you look at Roy...Smash helped his popularity massively.

I've never even played FE, let alone Roy's game, and I think Roy is great.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I've never even played FE, let alone Roy's game, and I think Roy is great.
One thing more people need to learn is that you can be a fan of a character in Smash Bros. without having played their source material. They are no less legitimate fans than people who have not played a single game of their respective series.

For some characters like the Ice Climbers and ROB, their source material games are mediocre at best, so its laughable when people bring up "you only like him/her because of Smash Bros.".

CalumG

Smash Lord
To be fair, I agree that some characters are popular because of Smash Bros., and that such popularity should be considered as a legitimate reason for their return... but on the other hand, I'm of the opinion that popularity outside of Smash and Smash players should be considered first and foremost, and popularity within Smash should be considered second. That's just my personal opinion of course, and it doesn't necessarily reflect Sakurai's train of thought when deciding characters - but in my mind, Smash should be about Nintendo all-stars and popular characters, and if a character is more of an all-star, more of a popular choice and more of a viable fighter, they shouldn't get the shaft just because the veterans got there first.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Smash should be about Nintendo all-stars and popular characters, and if a character is more of an all-star, more of a popular choice and more of a viable fighter, they shouldn't get the shaft just because the veterans got there first.
If a character deserves to be in and Sakurai thinks they are important enough to their series and would be distinctive enough within the whole of Smash Bros., Sakurai will add them in (or at least intend to). I don't know where this idea that Wolf, Falco, Roy, Ike, and Lucario are keeping out certain characters from Star Fox, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon. If those characters are worthy enough they will get in, however, Sakurai is not simply going to add in a fresh face when there is already a character on the roster that fulfills what he wants (see Sakurai deciding to bring back Olimar instead of going with one of the Pikmin 3 protagonists). At best, a character that already fulfills a certain niche may keep another character who has the same sort of feel to them out (see Toon Link and Young Link).

However, if a character like Krystal or Chrom does not get in, its not because Falco/Wolf or Ike/Roy *********** them of a spot due to seniority, its simply because Sakurai believed those characters were not notable enough to their respective series and/or would not bring something to their series and/or Smash Bros. as a whole that has not been done before.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Smash can and does broaden a character's fanbase yes, but it's not the sole reason or the largest reason any character is popular. They do that on their own, thus warranting their inclusion. He' still popular because of Pokemon itself, Smash just helps him a little.
So R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers got in because they're soooper popular. Even if they're put in as retro characters, they still have to have some inkling of popularity, which neither had.
Edit: Please don't blow this out of proportion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I still want Meowth. :(

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What I meant to say is, Smash gave Lucario that little boost to make him even more popular. And with that boost, he found himself as a very popular Pokemon.

Hell, at this point, I think it's safe to say Captain Falcon is a popular character only because of Smash Bros itself.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Actually the recovery more would be better as it gives Ganon horizontal options as well as vertical. Also in the Zelda games Ganon uses his sword quite a bit when you fight him so I'd say its fair for some of his grounded normals to include the sword.
He has used a sword in 2 Zelda games Wind Waker and Twiligh Princess. That doesn't consitute as many times imo and is not enough to warrant him having it for regular attacks. And so it should be asigned to a special move instead. Actually in fact Ganondorf is show to use his bare hanhds more then a weapon, even in Wind Waker when you fight Ganondorf as a boss he choses to not use his swords. It makes more sense for all of his attacks to be more punches and kicks. And no that recovery would not be better, Ganondorfs recovery is already at medium range, you end or shortening it making it worse automatically. Not to mention it being sluggish meaning it won't stopic him from falling down when he uses it, unlike how Sheik's and Zelda's recoeries work. If you want to unclone Ganondorf only change his Specials, everything else give him back his attacks and grabs from Melee along with his speed from Melee, and fix that Up-titl. But if his specials get change don't make it to where they are useless again, do something where they will actually improve upon his playstyle. Something like this;

Neutral Special - Brings his fist up to the level of where his hear is but inches apart and then does a quick jab foward which releases a purple fist of darknes for his fist that travels across the stage. Can be charged similar to how Samus and Lucario charge their Neutral Specials and when fully charged it is as big Ganondorf himself and travels across almost all of FD, takes very long to charge up however.

Side Special - Pulls out his sword and swings it in a series of hits untill you gr through all the moves of stop pushing the Special Button. Similar to Marth's Dancinc Blade but slower and stronger and is more of a punisher then anything else.

Up Special - Same as in Melee and Brawl but now at the end of it if he didn't latch onto anything he will levitate very briefly into any direction. Only lasts like 1 or 2 seconds.

Dpwn Special - This was the hardest one to think of but what I thought of was this. He brings his fist down into the ground creating a big dark explosion, has pretty good range.

That should be enough to get the people complaining about him being a clone to stop whining about it, while making thos like me who are comfortable with his play style and how his attacks and grabs already work happy. ._.

CalumG

Smash Lord
He has used a sword in 2 Zelda games Wind Waker and Twiligh Princess. That doesn't consitute as many times imo and is not enough to warrant him having it for regular attacks. And so it should be asigned to a special move instead. Actually in fact Ganondorf is show to use his bare hanhds more then a weapon, even in Wind Waker when you fight Ganondorf as a boss he choses to not use his swords. It makes more sense for all of his attacks to be more punches and kicks. And no that recovery would not be better, Ganondorfs recovery is already at medium range, you end or shortening it making it worse automatically. Not to mention it being sluggish meaning it won't stopic him from falling down when he uses it, unlike how Sheik's and Zelda's recoeries work. If you want to unclone Ganondorf only change his Specials, everything else give him back his attacks and grabs from Melee along with his speed from Melee, and fix that Up-titl. But if his specials get change don't make it to where they are useless again, do something where they will actually improve upon his playstyle. Something like this;
Huh? In Wind Waker, Ganondorf almost entirely uses his swords. In Twilight Princess, Ganondorf always uses a sword or his beast-mode. In every 2D game containing Ganondorf (A Link To The Past, Oracles, Four Sword Adventures, Phantom Ganon and Beast Ganon in OoT), he primarily uses magic attacks and his trusty trident. In Ocarina, he primarily uses magic and his beast-Ganon mode. In Zelda I, he uses magic.

He's proven he can fight with his fists, but every appearance he's ever had in a Zelda game and every actual boss battle (that is, excluding cutscenes here) implies that he prefers the use of magic and weaponry.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Huh? In Wind Waker, Ganondorf almost entirely uses his swords. In Twilight Princess, Ganondorf always uses a sword or his beast-mode. In every 2D game containing Ganondorf (A Link To The Past, Oracles, Four Sword Adventures, Phantom Ganon and Beast Ganon in OoT), he primarily uses magic attacks and his trusty trident. In Ocarina, he primarily uses magic and his beast-Ganon mode. In Zelda I, he uses magic.

He's proven he can fight with his fists, but every appearance he's ever had in a Zelda game and every actual boss battle (that is, excluding cutscenes here) implies that he prefers the use of magic and weaponry.
Yea my memory failed me there, I was fixing to edit the post but you quoted me to fast. For some reason I distinctly remembered him not using sword in tha boss battle with him (not counting the Phantom form or anthing like) and for some reason remembered him usings fists more in TP. I dunno why I have memories of him using more of his bare hands and magic then weapons. lol But I still stand by leaving his regular attacks and all that the same in Smash and only changing his Special to please the ones who want him decloned. So as to make the ones who want him decloned happy and the ones who are comfortable with his current playstyle and how he works happy. But I still dunno why I remembered Ganondorf using more of his barehands and dark magic more. lol

CalumG

Smash Lord
Yea my memory failed me there, I was fixing to edit the post but you quoted me to fast. For some reason I distinctly remembered him not using sword in tha boss battle with him (not counting the Phantom form or anthing like) and for some reason remembered him usings fists more in TP. I dunno why I have memories of him using more of his bare hands and magic then weapons. lol But I still stand by leaving his regular attacks and all that the same in Smash and only changing his Special to please the ones who want him decloned. So as to make the ones who want him decloned happy and the ones who are comfortable with his current playstyle and how he works happy. But I still dunno why I remembered Ganondorf using more of his barehands and dark magic more. lol
In your defense, he does use his fists and shows he can rock with them - he pretty much smacks Toon Link around like a little beeyatch in a Wind Waker cutscene, he full on face-punches a sage out of existence in Twilight Princess and he punches the ground so hard in Ocarina of Time that it falls in on itself. The guy is good with his fists; as long as they can find the right balance between him using his trident (how many sword-wielders are there in Smash now?) and throwing purple fists of doom around, consider me happy with whatever he ends up like in Smash 4.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
In your defense, he does use his fists and shows he can rock with them - he pretty much smacks Toon Link around like a little beeyatch in a Wind Waker cutscene, he full on face-punches a sage out of existence in Twilight Princess and he punches the ground so hard in Ocarina of Time that it falls in on itself. The guy is good with his fists; as long as they can find the right balance between him using his trident (how many sword-wielders are there in Smash now?) and throwing purple fists of doom around, consider me happy with whatever he ends up like in Smash 4.
I think the Trident gettingasigend to like 2 or 3 Special moves should be enough for him. His Specials really don't get used that much in competitive play as is anyway, so I really wouldn't mind them getting changed to better fit his playstyle and be used more. I jsut want his attacks, grabs, and speed from Melee back. Anything after that and I don't care. ;-;

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Me too for Lucario, actually. I dreamed that I was in the future and have seen SSB4 playing on my HDTV with every unlockable characters unlocked, I saw Lucario fighting with others (some random fighters I haven't checked who exactly are they, yet). "SPOILERS!" I thought, I looked away from my HDTV and was glad to know Lucario made it to SSB4.

Of course, I would be very glad when my dream come true in 2014.

Funny, I just dreamt it was a double update.

The first one was a lame one, confirming smoke coming out of the characters when they're sent flying (similar to the one about the beams of colored lights from a while back, except this smoke had just been added for some reason)

But the second update... was MEWTWO!!! :)

Also dreamt that this game would feature a hidden movie which advertised a Golden Sun anime series.
No wonder I didn't want to wake up. :,(

One more: Those three fairy psychic pokemon from Gen 3 were Pokeball Pokemon, at the same time.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
ChronoBound said:
One thing more people need to learn is that you can be a fan of a character in Smash Bros. without having played their source material. They are no less legitimate fans than people who have not played a single game of their respective series.

For some characters like the Ice Climbers and ROB, their source material games are mediocre at best, so its laughable when people bring up "you only like him/her because of Smash Bros."
Exactly what I'm saying. Smash positively affects a character's popularity even more, some more than others.

So R.O.B. and Mr. Game and Watch and Ice Climbers got in because they're soooper popular. Even if they're put in as retro characters, they still have to have some inkling of popularity, which neither had.
Edit: Please don't blow this out of proportion.
Well those would be the exceptions. Retro characters get in on Sakurai's own criteria of being unique and a nice fit to Smash, as well as a nice throwback to the days of old.

CalumG said:
but on the other hand, I'm of the opinion that popularity outside of Smash and Smash players should be considered first and foremost, and popularity within Smash should be considered second.
Popularity is popularity. Sakurai shouldn't have to sit down and judge whether a returning vet's popularity was mostly due to Smash. How is he supposed to separate and quantify that? If a character gained large popularity from Smash, so be it. That character's popularity is not worth less than someone who earned it from their actual games.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Sakurai has said he already decided the roster. I think if there was going to be some sort of sixth-generation poster Pokemon (aside from dessert pastry form Mewtwo), we would have seen it already. I think Sakurai will have sixth-generation represented in the form of including the new Mewtwo form in some playable form, whether it be the default for Mewtwo, something classic Mewtwo can transform into, or merely a temporary transformation for a Final Smash.

People grossly overestimate Lucario's chances of being cut. At the very least he is safer than Snake, Sonic, Toon Link, and Ike.
oh we would definatly get classic mewtwo its basicly a roulette wheel form his form
down b move or final smash but so far likely to be final smash because in the footage in the movie mewtwo reverted back to normal form a lot and doe not stay in awaken form for very long in the footage videos

oh yea contender for final smash is his exclusive move that he gained in gen 5 and that's psywave

ps you people are so skeptical on genesect for the last time both mewtwo and genesect can be confirmed genesect fits what sakurai said about how he brings pokemon in
genesect popularity appeared when the event of the celebration of black and white 2
and the movie the same one that introduces mewtwos newform
and they can both be add genesect presents for gen 5 and mewtwo gen 6 and plus the 2 are rivals and everyone loves rival fights on smash bros

Sebz

Luchador Extraordinaire

Sorry, what I meant is that all that material has no relevance in-game. Like, those backstories will not decide how each pokemon acts within Smash Bros. But yeah, I knew that it impacts inclusion decision.

Jak_spoon

Smash Journeyman
so assuming we will get lucario and mewtwo on the same roster how are they going to be distinguished as two different characters. i mean its not much but you know people will call lucario a clone even if his only similar move is aura sphere.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
so assuming we will get lucario and mewtwo on the same roster how are they going to be distinguished as two different characters. i mean its not much but you know people will call lucario a clone even if his only similar move is aura sphere.
Does it really matter if people who don't know what they're talking about call Lucario a clone for sharing one Special move?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
personally i'd hope they'd change Lucario a bit anyway. make him less floaty. he seriously feels like how a psychic pokemon should move and that makes little sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom